Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 02:53 PM   #46
k_reile
Slowly converting my son into a Disney lover!

We are drowning in clutter. It feels like I can never have an organized house because of it. I started with our junk drawers and cabinets in our entry way today. DH had a fit because i was getting rid of things we have not used in 4 years. He can get over it. I am not storing something we do not need. My goals for this year is to declutter every room but mainly our entry way, DS playroom and closets. Anything else would be a bonus.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:10 PM   #47
mommy2twingles
Mouseketeer

Okay jumping in. I really want to get the house in order this year and have so much stuff we don't need. First up the Christmas decorations that I don't use will be going

mommy2twingles is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-01-2013, 03:17 PM   #48
Leader of the Club
My Disney Princess only wears BLACK!

I could fill a huge dumpster with stuff

I was just telling my hubby that I could fill a huge dumpster with junk. about four years ago we had to start over with basically nothing, so I took anything and everything that folks gave to us. Now, the house is bursting at the seams.

I need to start going through everything. In my town, we are only permitted one tiny trash can a week. It kind of makes it hard to throw out the junk. I have tons of good stuff to donate and my neighbor told me the Salvation Army truck comes thru once a week. They may be making regular stops here soon!

I want to move in the next 18 months...and since we no longer have the military moving us, I'll have to do it all myself! That puts moving in a whole new perspective!
Darth Vader is just misunderstood
I'm much more pirate than princess
I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.
for Disney World
Leader of the Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:23 PM   #49
StephMK
DIS Veteran

It sounds like everyone is off to a great start and have some good ideas for this year!

I forgot I also got a head start by cleaning out my "junk/sale" email inbox last week. I have retailers or other sign up sites sent to a specific email address. I unsubscribed to several I no longer want and deleted more than 1K in sales notices & other junky emails. I hope to stay on top of it better this year!

So far, I have gone through the laundry room shelf in the closet and cleaned the stainless in the kitchen. I found some pencil trays to organize my makeup drawer and am hunting for some boxes to use in the bath cabinet.

I also want to find some unused file folders to organize bills, school papers, and other things that clutter up my paper drawer. It feels good to get some little projects done today!
Old 01-01-2013, 03:26 PM   #50
dizluvah
DIS Veteran

I want in!

I need to sort toys, outgrown baby clothes, kitchen gadgets, coat closet, lots of clothes mom has "outgrown"

we have boxes and boxes that we never unpacked from when we moved over a year ago - can't imagine there is anything we need in there if we haven't needed in 15 months
Old 01-01-2013, 03:31 PM   #51
RunDanceSkate
Walking to Disney

I'm in. December saw over 1200lbs of stuff removed from our house. Yesterday, we did the fridge and freezer. I plan to use up the food we have and then buy 1 weeks worth at a time.

I have a large amount of fabric and many patterns so my plan is to use the fabric I have and sell finished projects, only buying trim and other finishing items.

I have almost emptied the unused windowless room in the basement, it will be turned into my sewing room. I will be painting and re-purposing several pieces of furniture for that room.

We are very limited on the amount of garbage but not on recycling or compost, so I am carefully sorting. I have already filled one bag each of garbage, plastic recycling and a box of paper so I just need to go fill a donate bag or 2 today.
RunDanceSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:48 PM   #52
Mouse7116
Earning My Ears

I'm in! Still have a lot more to go but have already started with filling a box for yard sale this spring. My friend has a few yard sales through the spring/summer/fall and let's me just keep my boxes of stuff over there. I just keep adding to them.

We shall see what we can purge this year! Looking forward to a productive 2013!
Old 01-01-2013, 03:52 PM   #53
MAJPLO
DIS Veteran

The special needs teachers at our local school give their students class cash to spend and buy little toys and goodies. Whenever I clean out my kids happy meal and birthday party gifts they go straight to her for the kids in her classroom.

I don't write down everything we donate. Just how many bags or boxes, keep any receipts provided and/or the flyer that is left telling when the pick up is coming around. It's almost always kids clothes with a few other things mixed in so I usually just call it clothes, books, and household items.

Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera March 2011
Oasis of the Seas Eastern Caribbean May 2013
Sapphire Princess California Coastal January 2014
Disney Magic Southern Caribbean September 2014
MAJPLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:53 PM   #54
treeface
Mouseketeer

I'm in also. Got all of our things out of storage last month and now have a basement, garage and spare bedroom to go through. Started today with the Christmas gifts and decor in the living room, then on the boxes DS removed from his room last week. Have 1 bag of trash, 1 box to sell and toys put away to sort later with DS.

1972 Offsite 1978 Offsite, 1985 Buena Vista Palace 1992 Offsite, 1994 Travelodge (Disney Village)
1996 POFQ 1997 CBR 2002 WL 2003 AKL 2006 POFQ/AKL 2006 WL Concierge MVMCP
2007 SSR 2007 OKW, 2008 ASM & OKW, 2009 Pop & SSR, 2009 BCV
treeface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:55 PM   #55
GoofyBaseballMom26
DIS Veteran

I am so jumping in on this. Have to clean up! I have a question. When we were cleaning out my Mother's home,I could not part with all the glass, vases etc at the time. I know my DS/DDIL will not want most of it and actually I don't either now. They are all considered antique pieces.

Any recommendations on the best way to sell some of the pieces? I am looking for something easy.

TIA
GoofyBaseballMom26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:59 PM   #56
MAJPLO
DIS Veteran

Do you have a local consignment store? Or an antique store that does consignment?

Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera March 2011
Oasis of the Seas Eastern Caribbean May 2013
Sapphire Princess California Coastal January 2014
Disney Magic Southern Caribbean September 2014
MAJPLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:12 PM   #57
Pipperdoodle
Dreamer and planner of all things Disney.

Oh, I'm in! This is the year I'm going to go through all my closets and get rid of all the excess junk. We just did a minor remodel and I had planned to do this now anyway. Really looking forward to documenting my progress!
Old 01-01-2013, 04:20 PM   #58
ktrask
Mouseketeer

I'm so in. I feel like a crazy person when we have guests because I never want the to see our mess of a house. I need a routine.

Today I got all of the Christmas decorations down, and the tree out. DH and I were both home, so I just started doing it and he joined in.

We have people coming over on the 27th, and goal 1 is to be able to not be going crazy on the 26th trying to clean and prepare.

Goal 2 is to go thru our clothes. Wash the. And have a donate bag at the dryer. As things come out of the dryer they are either folded to be put away or put in the donate bag!
ktrask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:31 PM   #59
TI double-GUH ER
Mouseketeer

I'm in again! I got a little sidetracked with the holidays, but am ready to start decluttering again. First project is going to be the play room -- it's packed to the rafters and we haven't added in the new toys yet!
Old 01-01-2013, 04:36 PM   #60
zurgswife
WDW is my Shangrala...and I'm going...life is better!!!

I'm in and I like giving over all goals...So here's mine.

January - Bedrooms
Week 1 - DD's room and bath
Week 2 - Con't DD's Room & Mine Rm
Week 3 - DS bedroom
Week 4 - Guest Room

February - Basement
Week 1 - Work Room
Week 2 - Work Room, work out room
Week 3 - work our room and closet
Week 4 - Main basement

February - Office, Living Room

March - Kitchen & Dining Room, Laundry rm
Week 1 - Clean out fridge, wipe cabients outside
Week 2 - cabinets and dining room
Week 3 - Tupperware, drawers
Week 4 - Laundry Rm.

April - Front Entry

May -
June -
July -
August -
September -
October -
November -
December -

In Honor of Robin Costello I will miss you my dear friend.
zurgswife is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: