Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 11:56 AM   #361
carebee21
DIS Veteran

Sunday and Monday were my days off and I got a lot accomplished. I went through our two linen closets and got rid of 2 large black bags of old comforters and throws, which DH took to the animal shelter yesterday. I also had one small bag of garbage between them.

Then I started going through DS's stuff. I went through all the board games and threw out the games missing pieces or games where he had drawn on the money or put stickers all over the game board. I ended up with one large garbage bag of those. Then I sorted the games into two piles. One is a keep pile, the other is the ones we are going to get rid of. I'll keep those for a bit and if DH does have a yard sale, I will stick them out, otherwise, they'll just be donated. And lastly, I went through some of his toy bins and got out another large black bag of garbage, just in small junky toys (mcdonald's toys, stucking stuffers, slinkies that are messed up) I really need to go through those bins and start to dump what he doesn't play with, but I got a decent start on it.

DS is home sick today, so I'm thinking I may take advantage of being off an extra day and de-clutter some more when he's watching a movie or hopefully falls asleep.

Keep up the good work decluttering everyone! And I hope that everyone who is feeling under the weather feels better soon!!!

Goals Accomplished So Far in 2013:
Decluttering All of the Christmas Decorations: Got everything down to 1 large tote
DH and My Closet and Dressers: 5 bag of trashs; 7 large bags of clothing donated
Coat Closet: Got rid of old jackets and consolidated hats/gloves/scarves
Kitchen: Organized container cupboard: 1 bag of garbage removed
Organized Cup Cupboard: 1 bag of garbage removed
Linen Closets: 2 large bags of linens donated
1 bag of garbage gone
DS's Room: One large bag of stuffed animals gone
Board Games Missing Pieces Gone/All other board games sorted
One large bag of junk toys gone
DS's Bathroom Drawers and Cabinet: 1 bag of garbage removed
Old 01-16-2013, 02:12 PM   #362
carebee21
DIS Veteran

I got a decent amount done yesterday. I was able to throw away a large black garbage bag filled with stuffed animals and then got out a large black garbage bag full of donation toys.

I do think I cursed myself though. I stated earlier in this thread that I had put stuff on Craigslist and haven't had much problem with flakes and such. I have five things listed on there right now, and I have had nothing but flakes and crazies. I'm actually getting a bit discouraged with it.

Goals Accomplished So Far in 2013:
Decluttering All of the Christmas Decorations: Got everything down to 1 large tote
DH and My Closet and Dressers: 5 bag of trashs; 7 large bags of clothing donated
Coat Closet: Got rid of old jackets and consolidated hats/gloves/scarves
Kitchen: Organized container cupboard: 1 bag of garbage removed
Organized Cup Cupboard: 1 bag of garbage removed
Linen Closets: 2 large bags of linens donated
1 bag of garbage gone
DS's Room: Two large bags of stuffed animals gone
Board Games Missing Pieces Gone/All other board games sorted
One large bag of junk toys gone
One large bag of toys donated
DS's Bathroom Drawers and Cabinet: 1 bag of garbage removed
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-16-2013, 02:19 PM   #363
Robbi
DIS Veteran

We're still in the midst of the closet mess but my husband has taken down the wall between the 2 old reach in closets and he's put up the studs, plywood and sheet rock on the one side, so that's closed off. We've gone from 2 2 ft x 10 ft closets to 1 53 inch by 10 walk in closet. He's leaving on a skiing trip with friends next Thursday and he's said that the shelving and rods for this part of the project will be installed. YAY! I can hang our evening clothes, purses, shoes, and coats in there when it's done. Then when he gets back, he'll put up the shelves and rods in the big closet so that will be ready to go.
We have 2-3 weeks left on the project since he's taking the vacation but at least there's progress!!!!
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:28 PM   #364
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Kind of slowed down this week with DH gone.
Kids are home today for a snow day, so we are just chilling out.

I think I will go work in the kitchen and craft room in a bit.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:31 PM   #365
rhonda_2003
Mouseketeer

Simplifying in 2013

If you look back on what all I did get rid of in 2012, you might ask how on Earth I still have stuff to get rid of this year?? I swear, I 'm not a hoarder, LOL, but I still have way too much stuff.

We are out of school today for flooding in our county, thankfully not affecting our home, but it gives me some extra time to work on some stuff at home.

My goal for the day is to finish my laundry and get rid of anything that is stained/holey/wrong size/etc. and to at least make a dent in my closet! If I get more than that done, it'll just be a bonus!

The stuff that I am decluttering that is easy to sell online, I am going to list on my online yard sale page on FB. The stuff that is not as easy to see in a pic or not so easily sold online, I am donating to the church for the yard sale they are having next month to raise $ for a mission trip. Bottom line, if it is not essential, it is going in a "sell" pile, a "donate" pile, or a trash bag. My house is only around 1200 square feet and it has four people in it with a whole lot of stuff and I want a nice, streamlined living space, that reflects us, not our stuff, and where I don't have to spend tons of time cleaning/picking up and where the kids have more room for playing!

Has anyone ever used a professional organizer before? I would really like everything to have a "home" that makes sense and I stink at organizing!

OKW-May 2012-with all four of us plus 5 of our friends
CSR-Dec 2011-DS's first trip
POFQ-June 2009-DD's first trip; I was 6 months pregnant too!
CBR-Mar 2003-Our honeymoon....worst trip in history!
Several off-site visits as a kid
rhonda_2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:46 PM   #366
carebee21
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhonda_2003 View Post
If you look back on what all I did get rid of in 2012, you might ask how on Earth I still have stuff to get rid of this year?? I swear, I 'm not a hoarder, LOL, but I still have way too much stuff.
Ha ha! This is how I feel too. I have gotten rid of so much stuff, but there is still tons more to get rid of. I'm not a hoarder either, but looking at the number of bags I've gotten rid of, it sure looks like it. It's crazy how much stuff can just accumulate in a home.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:09 PM   #367
delmar411
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhonda_2003 View Post
Same here! LOL Our house is also about 1200 sq ft with 6 ppl living here and some days I just want to bag it all up and throw it away!

It really helps me look at things and ask whether or not it is giving my life (or my children's life) any happiness. If they don't use it, I get rid of it. YDD hasn't asked for anything that DH packed away the week before Christmas. Makes me think that I should try to sneak out more and see what happens.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. ~Voltaire
delmar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:50 PM   #368
butterflygirl3
Mouseketeer

Uuggghhh, getting unmotivated here so I thought I would post what I have done so far and maybe motivate myself again. It is just sooooo overwhelming because we have soooo much stuff we don't use or need.

So far:
I went through our movie collection and got rid of half a walmart bag of movies, games and cd's we haven't watched, listened to or played for a long time.
I received new tupperware dishes from hubby for Christmas(yes I asked for them heheheh) so I threw away all my other ones that were gross or didn't have lids or bottoms. Soooo much room now
My girls and I went through their room and got rid of three trash bags (the big black ones!!!!) full of toys they don't play with anymore (donating those to local goodwill), and threw away a bag and a half of trash (broken toys, color papers and such). We still need to go through their closet and drawers, they need to figure out which stuffed animals they are keeping on their beds and we need to figure out some kind of organization system that will work for them.
Still alot to do and I am gonna get off of here and fill a bag!!!
Old 01-16-2013, 06:05 PM   #369
mafibisha
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflygirl3 View Post
Uuggghhh, getting unmotivated here so I thought I would post what I have done so far and maybe motivate myself again. It is just sooooo overwhelming because we have soooo much stuff we don't use or need.
Same here.

Got rid of a ton of stuff last year, thanks in part to the 2012 destash thread! And so far this month probably 6 big bags worth of misc stuff, all of it donated.

Our problem is paper memorabilia. Both sets of our parents recently gave us several boxes of our childhood stuff and paper memorabilia (programs, scrapbooks) and while we're going through those and pitching a lot, we realize all our kids have way too much of that stuff too.

And while it's organized ... well sorta there is just too much. How much will really matter? As DH and I look at ours from our parents, we may smile or LOL but then toss much of it. Well at least I do. DH has a bigger problem getting rid of all of his.

Any helpful hints out there?

we Disney:

DH Me

and our fur baby

Thank You, maggiew!
mafibisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:21 PM   #370
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafibisha View Post
Same here.

Got rid of a ton of stuff last year, thanks in part to the 2012 destash thread! And so far this month probably 6 big bags worth of misc stuff, all of it donated.

Our problem is paper memorabilia. Both sets of our parents recently gave us several boxes of our childhood stuff and paper memorabilia (programs, scrapbooks) and while we're going through those and pitching a lot, we realize all our kids have way too much of that stuff too.

And while it's organized ... well sorta there is just too much. How much will really matter? As DH and I look at ours from our parents, we may smile or LOL but then toss much of it. Well at least I do. DH has a bigger problem getting rid of all of his.

Any helpful hints out there?
I got 4 magazine holders, one for each kid. Then I labeled manila envelopes for each grade. 90% of school papers get tossed immediately. I save good reports, a few pieces of art work, anything over 8 1/2 x 11 gets photographed and tossed. I save 3-4 spelling tests, math tests, etc and something with handwriting samples up until 4th grade.

In their scrapbooks I do a 2 page layout per year, with school pictures, report card, one piece of art work and a writing sample. If the report will fit, I will make a pocket on on page for it. Once the pages are complete the rest leaves the manila folder and either gets tossed or goes into a binder with page protectors. Each kid will get their scrapbook and one 2 inch binder of school stuff.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:18 AM   #371
pjlla
<><
Only took one try and voila
Likes to be barefoot at every possible occasion

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmar411 View Post
Good idea! I have a stash of manuals for stuff we own but I guess there really isn't a reason to have them. And I have never in all my years of owning things opened the owners manuals. LOL
And many (if not all) manuals are available online in PDF form these days!.....P

WDW 12/1974, WDW 03/1983, WDW 05/1992 (with DH on HONEYMOON ), WDW 01/2002 (first family trip to WDW), WDW 01/2004 (2nd family trip), DL and DCA 07/2005 (first family trip to DL!), WDW 06/2007... DD gets to go without us! WDW & Discovery Cove 04/2008 (First stay at Pop ), WDW 01/10 DD goes without us AGAIN! , WDW 05/10 Mother/Son trip WDW 05/11 Mother/Daughter trip !! WDW 05/13 Mother/Daughter trip #2 celebrating GRADUATION!
pjlla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:48 AM   #372
jkCT
DIS Veteran

Went through my cubicle at work yesterday and re-organized, shredded a ton of paper that I don't need any more, de-cluttered the cabinet, and sorted through and condensed the boxes/bags of miscellaneous stuff that seem to eternally live under my desk.

Now I have to tackle the garage...it's snowy here so we have started parking in the garage and I'm suddenly reminded of how much junk is in there. Oy.

jkCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:13 PM   #373
talulabelle
DIS Veteran

subscribing...

I have been on this thread for the past 2 years. I have to say I make a whole lot of progress at the beginning of each year... and then it tapers off. Still, I am in a way better place than I was 2 years ago. I am just now jumping on board for this year and am hoping that this is the year I get though the rest of the closets and cabinets.

I just went through my ds room and took out a garbage bag full of clothes he has outgrown...I hope to organize the toys tomorrow...however I did grab a bunch of stuffed animals to toss inthe bag for goodwill with the clothes. He LOVES collecting stuff like that and can't let go of any of it...I find if 3 or 4 dissapear here and again when he is at school he doesn't notice. I just love getting rid of a few more things in the house that don't need to be here.

My new motto: If it's not in my house anymore, I don't have to pick it up and put it away anymore.
talulabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:50 PM   #374
pumpkin21
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by talulabelle
subscribing...

My new motto: If it's not in my house anymore, I don't have to pick it up and put it away anymore.
Love your motto! I might have to use it myself. I am joining in to try and uncluttered our house as well. So far have done a few closets and kitchen cupboards. Have filled my trunk twice to take things to Goodwill, and several garbage bags out too.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:49 PM   #375
carebee21
DIS Veteran

Yay! DH was off today and wouldn't you know it, the person who was supposed to come by and pick up something on Craigslist actually showed up for him. Just when I was starting to lose my patience with putting things on that site. I had someone email me later this evening about coming by tomorrow night to look at something else I had up, so hopefully I get rid of that item too. And since I got rid of something, I listed another item.

I had asked DH to do a few decluttering tasks but he didn't get as far as I would have liked. He did shred all the papers I had sitting on the counter and got about a half bag of garbage from that. He didn't do much else than that. Oh well, I guess it's something, right?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: