Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2013, 12:47 PM   #1
Neesy228
DIS Veteran

Traveling through the Florida Keys. Looking for suggestions.

We are heading down through the Florida Keys over the next two days. Staying in Key West, but looking for places to stop, visit, eat, etc between Key Largo and Key West. We've been there before, but the last time was about 8 years ago, so I could use some help!

Thanks everyone!

Neesy228 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:22 PM   #2
3boymthr
DIS Veteran

My aunt and uncle used to live on Big Pine Key. There are a couple of nature areas on this island - I'm not sure exactly how to get to them anymore but they were free to visit and you could see alligators and Key Deer. Drive carefully here as the deer are little, very cute, and this is a biggie - endangered. You can see a number of them on the island but this is the only place in the world that they live.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-30-2013, 02:51 PM   #3
pa disney fan
pa disney fan

Check out Robbie's Marina @ MM 77. Buy a bucket of fish and feed the tarpon. Watch out for the huge pelicans!
pa disney fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:26 PM   #4
pate59
Earning My Ears

Island Fish Company Restaurant in Marathon - always a must when we are staying anywhere in the Keys. Love !
pate59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:02 PM   #5
sallysue66
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pa disney fan View Post
Check out Robbie's Marina @ MM 77. Buy a bucket of fish and feed the tarpon. Watch out for the huge pelicans!
I second this. The restaurant there, The Hungry Tarpon, is great too. You can sit outside under the trees and watch people feed the tarpon while you eat.
sallysue66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:06 AM   #6
CaFeeney
Mouseketeer

Hope you have a great time, we are heading down in April and can't wait for a relaxing week in the Keys! We have been going to Key Colony Beach for several years and love the area so much we were even married in the Keys!

Keys Fisheries is probably my favorite place in the Keys to eat- not fancy but really great seafood in a beautiful relaxed setting. Amazing sunsets!
http://www.keysfisheries.com/
The No Name Pub is an out of the way spot near Big Pine - lots of opportunities to see the Key deer along the way. Worth a visit, food is great and the decor is pretty funky!
http://www.nonamepub.com/
If you want a splurge make a lunch or dinner reservation at Little Palm Island. This is a private island, no one under 16 allowed. This is one of the most incredible places in the world. Have to admit I am biased as this is where we got married 11 years ago!
www.littlepalmisland.com

Now that we go with out 7 year old DD, we also like to visit the Dolphin Research Center, Theater of the Sea, the Turtle Hospital, the Blue Hole (near the No Name Pub), and we make time to go over to Hawks Cay resort to see the dolphins.

Have a great time, bring your flip flops and sunscreen!
CaFeeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 04:10 PM   #7
Neesy228
DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the suggestions! We are on our way and looking forward to trying some of your favorites

Neesy228 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 04:31 PM   #8
cndij
Mouseketeer

Mrs Macs in Key Largo, is a wonderful hole in the wall place, the walls are covered with all license plates from all over the country. Everything on the menu is good, my favorite is a super bird (turkey sandwich with avocado, and muenster cheese) my husband loves the fried fish sandwich (several kinds) and the key lime pie of course. Its near the Pennekamp state park for great snorkeling excursions, for very little money since its a state concession.
cndij is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: