Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 10:52 PM   #1
BippityBoppity
Mouseketeer

Dining Rooms

I've looked at the pictures online and I'm wondering what your opinions are on the dining rooms on the Magic vs the dining rooms on the new ships. The ones on the newer ships look so beautiful and so magical. I've read so many great reviews on Magic and we've pretty much decided on her but I keep going back to the beautiful dining rooms on Fantasy and Dream. We would love to sail out of Galveston since it's much much closer to us than Florida. But, this may be our last cruise ever and since we've never been on a disney cruise we would love to have a magical experience. Also, celebrating our wedding anniversary so would like it to be a romantic time. Thank you
BippityBoppity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:19 PM   #2
Juney
Mouseketeer

No comparison. We had only sailed classics until our Fantasy trip in early December. The MDRs on the Fantasy were breathtaking. We were really shocked by Animators Palate. EG and RC were so elegant (which we expected) but we were so pleasantly surprised by AP. The classic ships just don't compare. I can't think of a single thing I like better on the classics.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
December '09 Disney Western Caribbean 7 Day, Magic
December '10 Walt Disney World, Polynesian
December '11 Disney Mexican Riviera, Wonder
December '12 Disney Eastern Caribbean 7 day, Fantasy

December '13 Disney Western Caribbean 7 day, Fantasy
Juney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-31-2012, 11:28 PM   #3
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

The tables in the MDRs on the new ships are crammed so close together, along with some of the serving stations. It was difficult to walk between them to get to our table or get out during dinner. When you are sitting down at the table there isn't much difference.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:32 PM   #4
tinkmom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juney View Post
No comparison. We had only sailed classics until our Fantasy trip in early December. The MDRs on the Fantasy were breathtaking. We were really shocked by Animators Palate. EG and RC were so elegant (which we expected) but we were so pleasantly surprised by AP. The classic ships just don't compare. I can't think of a single thing I like better on the classics.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
I agree, it's kinda of like comparing apples to oranges. I still love the Wonder but, when I saw the Dream, it was amazing! There is just a different ambiance to the restaurants on the Dream. The AP experience is different, the EG is beautiful, Royal Palace is elegant and even the buffet is different. On the Wonder they had the pirate buffet on the deck. On the Dream, it's in the actual buffet. None of these are deal breakers but I was also thinking about how much fun we had on the Aquaduck and that's missing from the smaller ships. The Magic and Wonder are still great ships though.

The only way I was considering one of the older ships was for the price of Galveston. We cruised twice on the Wonder and had some pretty magical experiences. You will have a great time no matter which ship you choose.

Private Meeting with Donald and Friends DCL http://youtu.be/UISHRa8lScM
BBB The Reveal http://youtu.be/AOjMTF9YBtk
tinkmom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:41 PM   #5
Dawg91
Mouseketeer

We just cruised on the Dream and I found that the crowd and noise level detracted greatly from any enjoyment of the MDRs. I wouldn't make any choice based on them. We were packed in like sardines. I disliked Animators Palate the most because the interaction with Crush was irritating and just contributed to the chaos. Not all of my party felt the same.

We had early dining which I suspect may have exacerbated the problem (more kids?).
Dawg91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:49 PM   #6
Luv2Diz
We love the Wonder and Magic of Disney cruising!

We love the MDRs on the classics. We enjoy all 3 for the unique dining experiences they offer. Nice atmosphere, attentive service and good food. We look forward to our next cruise on one of the classics in large part for the dining! I don't think you will be disappointed!
DL 1969, DL 1971, DL 1972, DL 1996. WDW 1974 Offsite, 1977 Offsite, 1981 Offsite, 1985 Offsite, 1988Offsite, Sept. 2005 Shades of Green, Sept. 2008 SOG, Sept. 2009 POR, January 2010 POR, Sept. 2011 POR, Wonder Alaska 8/27/12, Magic W. Caribbean 12/1/12, Magic Bahamas 5/10/13, Disneyland April 2014
Luv2Diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:57 PM   #7
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg91 View Post
We just cruised on the Dream and I found that the crowd and noise level detracted greatly from any enjoyment of the MDRs. I wouldn't make any choice based on them. We were packed in like sardines. I disliked Animators Palate the most because the interaction with Crush was irritating and just contributed to the chaos. Not all of my party felt the same.

We had early dining which I suspect may have exacerbated the problem (more kids?).
YES!!! We also noticed the increased noise levels in the MDRs on the Fantasy, especially in AP. We were near the kitchen and the doors would not close, which made the clatter even worse. We even spoke to the dining manager about that. Not sure if they fixed the doors since then.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: