Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2013, 04:58 PM   #1471
Briarmom
Bessie Robindale
Larry's been done. Laird is refreshing!
I always thought it was my farsighted left eye that did me in
Knows about bone folders

Quote:
Originally Posted by WowLookAtThat View Post
Book #37 Catherine the Great by Robert K. Massie

Review: What a read! The life of Catherine the Great of Russia is certainly long and full. This book was interesting but at time got a little tedious. Sometimes my interest swayed but I stuck to the book and I thought it was worthwhile in the end.
This is what I'm reading! Well, I just started.
I keep looking through this thread wishing I had time to read (getting my MA in Literature=no time for fun reading).

Does it talk about her roller coasters that she built? My 9 year old dd keeps asking me to find out about this interesting tidbit.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:33 PM   #1472
donac
BL6 Black Team Captain
The Vanilla Rooibus was heavenly
Heigh ho - Heigh ho - It's off to lose weight I go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glynis View Post
How was this? I adore Debbie Reynolds and am looking forward to reading it.
I got through the first 120 pages and it sounded like it was over but then she went through all her movies and what she liked about each one. It is not completely about her early life until she gets to the movie section. It is mostly about her third husband and her quest to get a movie museum and how she lost it all. It was an easy read.
Dona July 1980 with DH family Nov 1984 Last trip before kids Aug 1988 Poly 10th AnnvAug 1992 Port Orleans Other trips I can't nameAug 2002 POFQ, FW, AS sp with Sean and the girls Aug 2003 FW Our 25th Annv Trip Aug 2005 Camping with the Knotts Aug 2006 Twin Sister Trip Aug 2008 30 Anniv/grad Trip 2009 POFQ just us 2012 Grand Gathering with Sedlaks
donac is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-10-2013, 07:36 PM   #1473
ebtbmom
DIS Veteran

I have just finished reading 2 books bringing up to 7/15, almost 1/2 way!

Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake is a teen/young adult supernatural thriller. It's about a boy who's a ghost hunter and he gets called in to destroy the violent ghost of a teen girl, as if you can't see where this is going! It was ok, I'd give it 3.5 stars, not great literature and the end kind of jumped the shark, but overall I was entertained.

Don't Breathe a Word by Jennifer McMahon is a two perspective story about a little girl that goes missing. She claims to have discovered a portal to the fairy world and disappears into the woods. Years later her brother and his girlfriend start looking for her again and creepiness ensues! I really enjoyed this one 4 stars! If you like supernatural fiction you'd love this one!
11/2004 1st trip, ASM,11/2006 2nd trip, POP,6/2008 day trip DLR,11/2008 3rd trip, POP,1/2010 DLR at DLH!,1/2011 1st solo POFQ, 11/2011 POR, 3/2012 B-day trip! 10/2012 POP, 6/2013 day trip DLP 11/2013 POP 2/2014 CSR 2nd solo! 10/2014 CBR
ebtbmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:54 PM   #1474
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun

21/30 - Mercy by Jodi Picoult

I got a little ways into this and realized I had read it before. I didn't remember how it ended though, so I went ahead and forged on. Not one of my favorite Picoult books, but it was okay.

3/5 stars

Don't know what I'll read next. I'm still waitlisted for the two Gillian Flynn books - hopefully that hold will come through soon.

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
BearcatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:29 PM   #1475
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

Goal: 52 books this year.

#34 down and done.

Jesus, My Father, the CIA and Me: A Memoir...of Sorts by Ian Morgan Cron. Cron walks us through the drama of his life, making us laugh and cry with him every step of the way. From growing up with an alcoholic father who can't keep any of the high-powered, high-salaried jobs he holds, to his own personal crisis of faith, Cron is a very good writer telling a very good story, one which may give hope to any reader in search of it.

With the religious background of this book, it may not be for everyone, but I was intrigued by the title. I'm glad I read it.

Queen Colleen
PigletsPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:40 PM   #1476
3smithboys
DIS Veteran

Book #18 - The Matchmaker by Jodi Picoult - This was one of the better books that she has written lately. (I actually made it all of the way through!) Her books are very predictable, and I was able to figure out the typical Picoult "twist" that she puts a the end of all of her books....
3smithboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:10 PM   #1477
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

Goal: 25 Completed: 10

Whiskey Beach
Nora Roberts

"For more than three hundred years, Bluff House has sat above Whiskey Beach, guarding its shore—and its secrets. But to Eli Landon, it’s home…

A Boston lawyer, Eli has weathered an intense year of public scrutiny and police investigations after being accused of—but never arrested for—the murder of his soon-to-be-ex wife.

He finds sanctuary at Bluff House, even though his beloved grandmother is in Boston recuperating from a nasty fall. Abra Walsh is always there, though. Whiskey Beach’s resident housekeeper, yoga instructor, jewelry maker, and massage therapist, Abra is a woman of many talents—including helping Eli take control of his life and clear his name. But as they become entangled in each other, they find themselves caught in a net that stretches back for centuries—one that has ensnared a man intent on reaping the rewards of destroying Eli Landon once and for all…"

This is not one of my favorite Nora Roberts books. I found it hard to get into and boring in the beginning. I like her more suspenseful books better(Blue Smoke, The Rescue etc.) It was okay...but blah for me.

Sleeping With Paris
Juliette Sobanet

"Charlotte Summers is a sassy, young French teacher who is two days away from moving to Paris with the love of her life and from fulfilling her dream of studying at the prestigious Sorbonne University in France. But when she discovers her fiancé’s online dating profile and has a little chat with the busty red-head he’s been sleeping with on the side, she gives up on committed relationships altogether and decides to navigate Paris on her own.

Determined to stop other women from finding themselves in her shoes, Charlotte creates an anonymous blog on how to date like a man in the City of Love—that is, how to jump from bed to bed without ever falling in love. But, with a slew of Parisian men beating down her door, a hot new neighbor who feeds her chocolate in bed, and an appearance by her sleazy ex-fiancé, she isn’t so sure she can keep her promise to remain commitment-free.

And, when Charlotte agrees to write an article for a popular women’s magazine about her Parisian dating adventures—or disasters, rather—will she risk losing the one man who’s swept her off her feet and her dream job in one fell swoop?"

This was one of the cheapie Amazon deals.(I think it's $2.99 right now)

I don't really think it was worth it. $.99 MAYBE (I have found some great cheap books)

I thought it was cute, but it was predictable.
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne, #15- Monument 14: Sky on Fire Emmy Laybourne, #16- The Magicians Lev Grossman, #17, #18, #19- The Strain Trilogy Guillermo Del Toro, #20- A Discovery of Witches Deborah Harkness, #21- Postmortem Patricia Cornwell, #22- The Darkest Minds Alexandra Bracken, #23- The Heist Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg, #24- The Town Bentley Little, #25- The Chase Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg, #26- Relic Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child
Soldier's*Sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:06 PM   #1478
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

I just finished The Burgess Boys. Gosh I can't even remember the author's last name but she wrote Olive Kitteridge.

I liked this book. It is basically about family relationships and what you think you know about someone isn't always how it seems.

I wasn't crazy about the ending. It just kind of left off. There could easily be a part 2 to this book because it didn't really finish up (one of my pet peeves), but I did like the book for the most part.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:26 PM   #1479
erincon23
Everyone must have gotten a life in the last few days
As you can see, I have gotten sidetracked

32. Wrath of Angels, John Connolly

I've really enjoyed reading this series, which is sort of action/adventure with religious overtones (fallen angels, Satan personified), but this one wasn't the best in the series.

33. Secrets of the Past, Barbara Taylor Bradford

A Woman of Substance is one of my favorite books, written by Bradford, but this one more sounded like she let one of her junior writers take it for her. Dialogue was terrible (which is one of the reasons I've stopped reading Danielle Steele), and it's a combination of gush, sentiment, and overdone plotlines.

I've got a John LeCarre up next -- hopefully that will be better, since I'm not enjoying the recent string of sub-par books.

34. The Exile, Diana Gabaldon (graphic novel, part of the Outlander series -- not a necessary addition to the series)

me DH DS16 DS20 On our last family trip, 3/09

Last edited by erincon23; 05-16-2013 at 06:38 PM.
erincon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:34 PM   #1480
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Just finished the clique it is the same as the movie with slight changes instill enjoyed it
Old 05-13-2013, 08:48 AM   #1481
dizluvah
DIS Veteran

book 40 out of 75
If Looks Could Kill by by Kate White
Bailey Weggins is dragged into a murder investigation by her boss, magazine editor Cat Jones, whose nanny is murdered by poisoned chocolate truffles meant for Cat.

It was just ok - wouldn't recommend.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:08 AM   #1482
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it

33/50: While it Lasts by Abbi Glines

I fully admit. I am an Abbi Glines addict. Her books make me want to be a twenty-something year old Southern girl because of all the hot boys in them.
Ginny Favers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:32 AM   #1483
dizluvah
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginny Favers View Post
33/50: While it Lasts by Abbi Glines

I fully admit. I am an Abbi Glines addict. Her books make me want to be a twenty-something year old Southern girl because of all the hot boys in them.
Note to self: Must look up Abbi Glines immediately

ETA: so i got The Vincent Boys....hope I picked up a good one to start with....

Last edited by dizluvah; 05-13-2013 at 09:40 AM.
dizluvah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:15 AM   #1484
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizluvah View Post
Note to self: Must look up Abbi Glines immediately

ETA: so i got The Vincent Boys....hope I picked up a good one to start with....
Hmmm I don't know-- you will have to let me know! I have only read The Sea Breeze series and Fallen Too Far. They were all like crack. I started out thinking they weren't anything too impressive, and then I suddenly was like, OMG I NEED MORE!!
Ginny Favers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:15 PM   #1485
Swimnoid
DIS Veteran

Goal = 75

49. Don't Blink by James Patterson & Howard Roughan
Murder, the Russian mob, a journalist and a former baseball player. How do these all relate. A typical Patterson, not a part of a series. It was ok.

50. Folly Beach by Dorothea Benton Frank
I like Frank's low country books. They are easy , light romantic quick reads. Likeable characters who are usually trying to overcome some crisis which ends up happily ever after.
Swimnoid is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: