Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2013, 01:27 PM   #1456
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatsFan View Post
20/30 - Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella

I hated this book. End of review.

Next up: Mercy by Jodi Picoult
I'm relieved to hear that I'm not the only one who disliked Sophie Kinsella books. I did not read that one, but I read two others and I thought they were pretty bad.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:28 PM   #1457
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatsFan View Post
20/30 - Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella

I hated this book. End of review.

Next up: Mercy by Jodi Picoult
Funny how we're all so different. I LOVED that book! Probably because I could identify with Becky far more than I care to admit, lol.
threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-08-2013, 01:43 PM   #1458
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

I started reading the clique series,
Old 05-08-2013, 06:00 PM   #1459
Glynis
Taking applications for a WDW tour guide!

Goal - 100 books

Book #32 - "The Giving Quilt" by Jennifer Chiaverini

I loved this book! I have read all the books in this series, and I love them all! They are gentle plots, with engaging characters and believable story lines!

In "The Giving Quilt" a group of quilters meet at Elm Creek Quilts for Quiltsgiving. A week where they will make quilts to donate to Project Linus. At this week long retreat, the women learn a new pattern, and along the way, they learn why giving is important to each of them.

Next up: "The Enchanted April"

2014 Reading Challenge Goal: 70 books

The Art of Racing in the Rain ~ The House of Hades ~ How To Be Like Walt ~ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows ~ The Seven Mouths of God ~ Behind the Beautiful Forevers ~ The Mysterious Affair at Styles ~ The Big 5-Oh ~ A Year in the Life of William Shakespeare ~ Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children ~ Wait Till Next Year ~ While We Were Watching Downton Abbey ~ Great Expectations ~ The Maze Runner ~ The Fault In Our Stars ~ The Juliet Club ~ The Girls' Guide to Love and Supper Clubs ~ The Power of One ~ The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat ~ Hollow City ~ The Fountainhead ~ Cat's Cradle ~ Speaking From Among The Bones ~ Death Comes to Pemberley ~ Quilt or Innocence ~ The Chocolate Thief ~ On Strike for Christmas ~ Bikini Season ~ Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker ~ Miss Dreamsville and the Collier County Women's Literary Society ~ Cinnamon Roll Murder ~ Red Velvet Cupcake Murder ~ Blackberry Pie Murder ~ Home To Holly Springs ~ In The Company of Others ~ The Devil in the White City ~ Gathering Blue ~ Messenger ~ The Bell Jar ~ The Boys in the Boat ~ The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches ~ Son ~ Beach Colors ~ Welcome to Last Chance ~ Last Chance Beauty Queen ~ Last Chance Knit and Stitch ~ The World According to Garp ~ The Bean Trees ~ I'll Be Seeing You ~ The Hours ~ Prodigal Summer ~ The Ocean at the End of the Lane
Glynis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:44 AM   #1460
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glynis View Post
Goal - 100 books

Book #32 - "The Giving Quilt" by Jennifer Chiaverini

I loved this book! I have read all the books in this series, and I love them all! They are gentle plots, with engaging characters and believable story lines!

In "The Giving Quilt" a group of quilters meet at Elm Creek Quilts for Quiltsgiving. A week where they will make quilts to donate to Project Linus. At this week long retreat, the women learn a new pattern, and along the way, they learn why giving is important to each of them.

Next up: "The Enchanted April"
I love this series too! Have you read Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker? It's also by Jennifer Chiaverini, and although it's written as a novel, it's historical. I really liked that, too.

Queen Colleen
PigletsPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:41 AM   #1461
Glynis

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigletsPal2 View Post
I love this series too! Have you read Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker? It's also by Jennifer Chiaverini, and although it's written as a novel, it's historical. I really liked that, too.

Queen Colleen
I haven't read it, yet! It's on my list, though. I love the El Quilt Series, since they are just gentle, kind reads! Sometimes, we really need that, you know? It's nice to picture a world that is so ideal!

The Art of Racing in the Rain ~ The House of Hades ~ How To Be Like Walt ~ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows ~ The Seven Mouths of God ~ Behind the Beautiful Forevers ~ The Mysterious Affair at Styles ~ The Big 5-Oh ~ A Year in the Life of William Shakespeare ~ Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children ~ Wait Till Next Year ~ While We Were Watching Downton Abbey ~ Great Expectations ~ The Maze Runner ~ The Fault In Our Stars ~ The Juliet Club ~ The Girls' Guide to Love and Supper Clubs ~ The Power of One ~ The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat ~ Hollow City ~ The Fountainhead ~ Cat's Cradle ~ Speaking From Among The Bones ~ Death Comes to Pemberley ~ Quilt or Innocence ~ The Chocolate Thief ~ On Strike for Christmas ~ Bikini Season ~ Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker ~ Miss Dreamsville and the Collier County Women's Literary Society ~ Cinnamon Roll Murder ~ Red Velvet Cupcake Murder ~ Blackberry Pie Murder ~ Home To Holly Springs ~ In The Company of Others ~ The Devil in the White City ~ Gathering Blue ~ Messenger ~ The Bell Jar ~ The Boys in the Boat ~ The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches ~ Son ~ Beach Colors ~ Welcome to Last Chance ~ Last Chance Beauty Queen ~ Last Chance Knit and Stitch ~ The World According to Garp ~ The Bean Trees ~ I'll Be Seeing You ~ The Hours ~ Prodigal Summer ~ The Ocean at the End of the Lane
Old 05-09-2013, 09:55 AM   #1462
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

Goal: 52 books this year.

#33 down and done.

Anne of Avonlea by Lucy Maud Montgomery is a continuation of the Anne of Green Gables series. In this book, Anne has earned her teaching certificate and has returned to teach at her former school, where her unorthodox teaching methods and loving personality win over most of her students; how will she reach the reluctant few? Anne suffers loss in this book but also finds new friendships where she least expects them.

This a sweet, gentle series, one most readers have finished long before I even started. The stories are a lovely break from my favored genre of murder and mayhem, death and destruction.

Queen Colleen
PigletsPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:49 PM   #1463
WowLookAtThat
DIS Veteran

Book #37 Catherine the Great by Robert K. Massie

Review: What a read! The life of Catherine the Great of Russia is certainly long and full. This book was interesting but at time got a little tedious. Sometimes my interest swayed but I stuck to the book and I thought it was worthwhile in the end.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:55 PM   #1464
donac
BL6 Black Team Captain
The Vanilla Rooibus was heavenly
Heigh ho - Heigh ho - It's off to lose weight I go...

Is it too late to join. I love to read and just bought myself the latest Nook.

In the last few weeks I have read The Shell Seekers, Debbie Reynolds new bio, Bob Newhart's bio, Beach House and I just started Casual Vacancy by JK Rowlings.
Dona July 1980 with DH family Nov 1984 Last trip before kids Aug 1988 Poly 10th AnnvAug 1992 Port Orleans Other trips I can't nameAug 2002 POFQ, FW, AS sp with Sean and the girls Aug 2003 FW Our 25th Annv Trip Aug 2005 Camping with the Knotts Aug 2006 Twin Sister Trip Aug 2008 30 Anniv/grad Trip 2009 POFQ just us 2012 Grand Gathering with Sedlaks
donac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:26 AM   #1465
willowsnn3
Tagless not by choice but by circumstance

Goal 72

#33 The Dinner by Herman Koch

This book was just 'meh' to me. The author rambled too much. I don't think I would recommend it.

Book Challenge Goal 73/72

willowsnn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:34 AM   #1466
Glynis

Quote:
Originally Posted by donac View Post
Is it too late to join. I love to read and just bought myself the latest Nook.

In the last few weeks I have read The Shell Seekers, Debbie Reynolds new bio, Bob Newhart's bio, Beach House and I just started Casual Vacancy by JK Rowlings.
How was this? I adore Debbie Reynolds and am looking forward to reading it.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:49 AM   #1467
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it

32/50: Killing Kennedy by Bill O'Reilly

Definitely the McDonald's of history books. But since I'm not like my husband who likes to read about these things in exhausting detail, I enjoyed it.
Ginny Favers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:34 AM   #1468
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowsnn3 View Post
Goal 72

#33 The Dinner by Herman Koch

This book was just 'meh' to me. The author rambled too much. I don't think I would recommend it.
I felt the same way. That narrator was rambling on. I think it was a way for the author to show us that he was sort of nutty but it did get tiresome.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:31 AM   #1469
RunningGirl
DIS Veteran

#26 - To Kill a Mockingbird. I went to see it done as a play, and then went and re-read the book.

#27 - The Spellman Files by Lisa Lutz. Book one of a series, it was light and enjoyable. A good beach book. I'll probably read more of the series when I'm looking for something light.

#28 - Dead Ever After by Charlaine Harris. Last book (13) of the Sookie Stackhouse series. Pretty satisfying conclusion to a series.
RunningGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:44 PM   #1470
willowsnn3
Tagless not by choice but by circumstance

Goal 72

#34 The Kingdom Keepers/Disney After Dark by Ridley Pearson

Finished a few days ago but forgot to add.
This was pretty good. Started kinda slow but got better about half way thru. Now I'll have to read the others in the series.

Book Challenge Goal 73/72

willowsnn3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: