Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 03:38 PM   #1396
jenny105
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginny Favers View Post
I LOVE SVH!! That is totally respectable stuff compared to the book I read.
You should read 'If You Lived Here You'd Be Perfect By Now.' It's written by the same girl who runs the Dairi Burger blog. She recaps all 100+ books plus the super editions in spectacular snarky fashion. Quite a few LOL and WTH moments!

Me DBf Kris Mitzu
Sept 2015 ASMu/DCL ~ August 2013 GF ~ Oct 2012 AKL ~ April 2011 DL Paradise Pier ~ Oct 2010 POP ~ Sept 2009 WL/DCL/BCV ~ Nov 2008 RPR Universal ~ Jan 2008 POP ~ April 2007 POP ~ Jan 2006 POP
jenny105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:08 PM   #1397
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

I keep forgetting to post!

Goal:25 Completed:8

#8 was Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

I need a break from H.P but I'm kind of in a slump. Hopefully I'll find something to stick with soon.
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne, #15- Monument 14: Sky on Fire Emmy Laybourne, #16- The Magicians Lev Grossman, #17, #18, #19- The Strain Trilogy Guillermo Del Toro, #20- A Discovery of Witches Deborah Harkness, #21- Postmortem Patricia Cornwell, #22- The Darkest Minds Alexandra Bracken, #23- The Heist Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg, #24- The Town Bentley Little, #25- The Chase Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg, #26- Relic Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child
Soldier's*Sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-29-2013, 04:44 PM   #1398
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny105 View Post

I'm reading a book about the Sweet Valley High series. If I'm not embarrassed, you shouldn't be either!
Thanks for the idea I am definitely looking I am on the last two books in my current series
Old 04-29-2013, 05:31 PM   #1399
Caseheidi
DIS Veteran

Book 29 of 100

Whiskey Beach by Nora Roberts

Summary by Goodreads:
For more than three hundred years, Bluff House has sat above Whiskey Beach, guarding its shore—and its secrets. But to Eli Landon, it’s home…

A Boston lawyer, Eli has weathered an intense year of public scrutiny and police investigations after being accused of—but never arrested for—the murder of his soon-to-be-ex wife.

He finds sanctuary at Bluff House, even though his beloved grandmother is in Boston recuperating from a nasty fall. Abra Walsh is always there, though. Whiskey Beach’s resident housekeeper, yoga instructor, jewelry maker, and massage therapist, Abra is a woman of many talents—including helping Eli take control of his life and clear his name. But as they become entangled in each other, they find themselves caught in a net that stretches back for centuries—one that has ensnared a man intent on reaping the rewards of destroying Eli Landon once and for all…

I enjoyed this book, as I always do with Nora Roberts. I just think she excels at writing about relationships across the board. This book doesn't have as many relationships built as I am use to with her books, but is still good.

DLR - Aug 1980, Aug 1985, May 1988, April 2002, Dec 2002, Dec 2004, Oct 2012

WDW - July/Aug 2001 (Honeymoon!), Oct 2004, Sept 2005, May 2006, Dec 2007, Dec 2008, Oct 2011
Caseheidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:34 PM   #1400
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseheidi View Post
Book 29 of 100

Whiskey Beach by Nora Roberts

Summary by Goodreads:
For more than three hundred years, Bluff House has sat above Whiskey Beach, guarding its shore—and its secrets. But to Eli Landon, it’s home…

A Boston lawyer, Eli has weathered an intense year of public scrutiny and police investigations after being accused of—but never arrested for—the murder of his soon-to-be-ex wife.

He finds sanctuary at Bluff House, even though his beloved grandmother is in Boston recuperating from a nasty fall. Abra Walsh is always there, though. Whiskey Beach’s resident housekeeper, yoga instructor, jewelry maker, and massage therapist, Abra is a woman of many talents—including helping Eli take control of his life and clear his name. But as they become entangled in each other, they find themselves caught in a net that stretches back for centuries—one that has ensnared a man intent on reaping the rewards of destroying Eli Landon once and for all…

I enjoyed this book, as I always do with Nora Roberts. I just think she excels at writing about relationships across the board. This book doesn't have as many relationships built as I am use to with her books, but is still good.
I was wondering about this one!

I love the romantic suspense books she writes like Blue Smoke, Home Port, The Rescue etc...

Does it compare to those as far as the suspense goes?
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne, #15- Monument 14: Sky on Fire Emmy Laybourne, #16- The Magicians Lev Grossman, #17, #18, #19- The Strain Trilogy Guillermo Del Toro, #20- A Discovery of Witches Deborah Harkness, #21- Postmortem Patricia Cornwell, #22- The Darkest Minds Alexandra Bracken, #23- The Heist Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg, #24- The Town Bentley Little, #25- The Chase Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg, #26- Relic Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child
Soldier's*Sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:09 PM   #1401
portia9
DIS Veteran

Goal 100

#57 Vanities and Vexations by Sarah Waldock-P & P fanfic but this one was really good. Fleshed out the more minor characters from P & P really well.

2013 Reading Challenge. Goal 100. Read 149.
2014 Reading Challenge. Goal 100. Read 115.

2014 Top 3

The Collected Works of A.J.Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin
The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion
Speaking From Among The Bones by Alan Bradley

portia9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:00 AM   #1402
stacy347
I carried a watermelon?

Goal 45
Book #19

Twisted by Sara Shepherd
This is the 9th book in the Pretty Little Liars series. The books sort of go in arcs, and this would be the beginning of the 3rd arc. I'm on the fence so far. I did like the ending, and I will start the next one today.
May 16-22, 2010 Seralago Resort ~ so much fun!
June 17-23, 2012 Regal Palms ~ loved it!
Oct. 4, 2012 Disney on Ice: Rockin' Ever After
stacy347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:11 AM   #1403
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dismom301930 View Post
Goal = 50

Book #22
The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman: http://www.amazon.com/Light-Between-...between+oceans

I loved this book. It is the story of a young couple who live on an island off the coast of Australia in the 1920s, where he is the keeper of the lighthouse. They have been trying unsuccessfully to have a child for several years, when a boat washes ashore with a baby and a dead man inside. The choices they make that day set off a series of events that determine their fate as well as the fate of many other people.

I thought this novel was beautifully written and I read the entire book in one day.
I'm thankful someone had a positive review on this book. Those on the DIS that have read it for book clubs have not enjoyed it.

I think I may make this my next to read book. I'm interested to find out which side of the fence I'll be on after reading it, lol.

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife, #16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker, #26 Rainshadow Road, #27 The Art of Hearing Heartbeats, #28 Little Bee, #29 The Art Forger, #30 One Plus One, #31 Double Whammy, #32 The Girl You Left Behind, #33 Orphan Train, #34 Big Little Lies, #35 The Good Girl, #36 The Girl with All the Gifts, #37 Outlander, #38 Lucid, #39 You, #40 Dragonfly in Amber

Currently reading: #41 Voyager

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:29 PM   #1404
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun

17/30 - The Litigators by John Grisham

Ehh ... this was just okay. Definitely not as good as some of his other books I've read. I had to really suspend reality through most of it - the timelines didn't work, and some situations were truly unbelievable.

I hope his other book I'm waitlisted for (The Racketeer) is better.

3/5 stars

Next up: The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
BearcatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:29 PM   #1405
Glynis
Taking applications for a WDW tour guide!

Goal - 100 books
Book #30 - "Animal Farm" by George Orwell

I never read this book in high school. Don't really know why. Maybe we were reading "1984" instead. I really loved this book!!! The animals revolt and overthrow their farmer/master and take over the farm. For a while, things seem to be much better, but one species of animal takes it upon themselves to be the new leader, and by the end of the book, the animals are wondering if they really made a good choice.

Quite a commentary on our society! Especially considering the time in which this book was written! I can see why Stalin wouldn't have approved of this book!

Next up: "Lord of the Flies" by William Golding (I'm trying to read all the books my daughter will be reading in English next year. I'm amazed how many of them I didn't have to read when I was in high school!)

2014 Reading Challenge Goal: 70 books

The Art of Racing in the Rain ~ The House of Hades ~ How To Be Like Walt ~ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows ~ The Seven Mouths of God ~ Behind the Beautiful Forevers ~ The Mysterious Affair at Styles ~ The Big 5-Oh ~ A Year in the Life of William Shakespeare ~ Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children ~ Wait Till Next Year ~ While We Were Watching Downton Abbey ~ Great Expectations ~ The Maze Runner ~ The Fault In Our Stars ~ The Juliet Club ~ The Girls' Guide to Love and Supper Clubs ~ The Power of One ~ The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat ~ Hollow City ~ The Fountainhead ~ Cat's Cradle ~ Speaking From Among The Bones ~ Death Comes to Pemberley ~ Quilt or Innocence ~ The Chocolate Thief ~ On Strike for Christmas ~ Bikini Season ~ Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker ~ Miss Dreamsville and the Collier County Women's Literary Society ~ Cinnamon Roll Murder ~ Red Velvet Cupcake Murder ~ Blackberry Pie Murder ~ Home To Holly Springs ~ In The Company of Others ~ The Devil in the White City ~ Gathering Blue ~ Messenger ~ The Bell Jar ~ The Boys in the Boat ~ The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches ~ Son ~ Beach Colors ~ Welcome to Last Chance ~ Last Chance Beauty Queen ~ Last Chance Knit and Stitch ~ The World According to Garp ~ The Bean Trees ~ I'll Be Seeing You ~ The Hours ~ Prodigal Summer ~ The Ocean at the End of the Lane ~ The Light Between Oceans
Glynis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:04 PM   #1406
portia9
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeboysmom View Post
I'm thankful someone had a positive review on this book. Those on the DIS that have read it for book clubs have not enjoyed it.

I think I may make this my next to read book. I'm interested to find out which side of the fence I'll be on after reading it, lol.
I really enjoyed this book so I will be interested in what you think.

2013 Reading Challenge. Goal 100. Read 149.
2014 Reading Challenge. Goal 100. Read 115.

2014 Top 3

The Collected Works of A.J.Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin
The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion
Speaking From Among The Bones by Alan Bradley

portia9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:06 PM   #1407
WowLookAtThat
DIS Veteran

Book #36 Lighter side of Large by Becky Siame

Review: I was inspired by the two DIS threads regarding obesity. I picked up this kindle book and found myself interested in this book. Bella is an obese, single mother who has been beaten up emotionally with the news that her sister is getting married to a man...Bella's ex-husband who left her for the sister two weeks after Bella gave birth after their child five years ago. Since then, Bella has been insecure and just depressed about how life turned out.

So, with the news of this "joyful union" Bella decides enough is enough and decides to not only get a date for the wedding, be a success and lose weight. This is a long and hard road that involves online dating, a nasty NASTY ex-husband and a near death experience involving surgery.

I loved this book. I really identified with Bella's insecurity as I had (and still have some issues) with weight and body images. I could understand her and I cheered her on as she lost weight. However, it was the discovery that she had to love her body no matter that really got me. The author brings up weight discrimination in a way that is personal and doesn't ask for special consideration but to be treated with respect as everyone else. Becky is not a perfect character and is flawed with some negative traits but that makes her more believable. She doesn't make a lot of excuses about her weight gain, but she does has a victim mentality that she works hard to overcome.

The story was well-written, developed greatly and introduces a cast of characters that felt real. This book did a rare feat...it got me mad. Bella's thieving nasty sister Tiresa has a mouth on her and honestly I ran down this character in my head so many times. In the end, the sisters are not the best of friends but there is some insight into the relationship.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:47 AM   #1408
Caseheidi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier's*Sweeties View Post

I was wondering about this one!

I love the romantic suspense books she writes like Blue Smoke, Home Port, The Rescue etc...

Does it compare to those as far as the suspense goes?
It is not her best, but still good. There is some suspense, but not much. There is a nice little twist that I didn't guess until right before it was revealed, which I liked.

DLR - Aug 1980, Aug 1985, May 1988, April 2002, Dec 2002, Dec 2004, Oct 2012

WDW - July/Aug 2001 (Honeymoon!), Oct 2004, Sept 2005, May 2006, Dec 2007, Dec 2008, Oct 2011
Caseheidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:25 AM   #1409
CaliBear
DIS Veteran

Book 9/40: The Dark Monk: A Hangman's Daughter Tale by Oliver Potzch

This book was ridiculous. It took two weeks for me to read it because I just didn't want to read it, but I kept trying. The only thing I liked about it was the character of the hangman and learning about the hangman dynasty life back then in Germany. Otherwise, the level of disbelief I had to suspend to get through the last quarter of the book was too much, even for a mystery about the Templars. Unfortunately, I already own the third ebook.

I started Assassin's Apprentice, first book in the Farseer Trilogy, for my next book. So far, so good.
CaliBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:39 PM   #1410
nemofans
DIS Veteran

Finished book #28: Shell Game by Ridley Pearson

This is the 5th book in the kingdom keepers series. This one takes place mostly on the Disney Dream. I am having trouble finding book 6, so I am reading The Host by Stephanie Meyer right now.
I don't think I have ever read Lord of the Flies, so I will have to add that one.

8/2000 WDW Grosvenor Resort (got engaged!), 11/2005 DL PPH CL, 12/2006 WDW Poly, 02/2008 WDW AKL, 2/2010 WDW CR CL, 2/2011 DCL Magic, 11/2011 DL GCH, 10/2012 WDW AKL CL

2013 Book Challenge: 87 out of 75 GOAL MET!!
2014 Book Challenge: 91 out of 85 GOAL MET!!

Last edited by nemofans; 05-02-2013 at 08:26 AM.
nemofans is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: