Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2013, 09:40 PM   #1381
low-key
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatsFan View Post
16/30 - Defending Jacob by William Landay

Finally, finally, a book I loved from beginning to end! It was so hard to put this one down. Can't say much more other than I just loved it.

5/5 stars
I just got that book, only read 10 percent cause I had a busy week, im anxious to really get into it
Old 04-27-2013, 10:06 PM   #1382
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by low-key View Post
I just got that book, only read 10 percent cause I had a busy week, im anxious to really get into it
It's really good - carve out some time for it.

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
BearcatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-28-2013, 01:32 PM   #1383
phorsenuf
Not so New Rule author on the DISSome discuss it calmly and some ...
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

I am soooo far behind in updating on this thread. I'll need to change me goal because I am way ahead!

Amazon has Wicked for sale today for $1.99.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:39 PM   #1384
tinkerbellfan6880
pixie

27 out of 80 read so far. Now I am reading Cream Puff Murder by Joanne Fluke. Also reading Toil and Trouble by H.P. Mallory. It's the second book in the Jolie Wilkins novel series. Already read the third and fifth book. Still waiting on a copy of the first book in the series from my local library. Have not been reading a lot lately because I have been sick with an infection.

2014 Reading Challenge: 42 out of 50 books

2013 Reading Challenge Completed: 92 out of 80 books read!
tinkerbellfan6880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:23 PM   #1385
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

Goal: 52 books this year.

#30 down and done.

Midnight at Marble Arch by Anne Perry is #25 in the Thomas and Charlotte Pitt Victorian mystery series. (She has also written 18 mysteries featuring William Monk, a Scotland Yard Police inspector-turned-private-inquiry agent-turned head of the Thames River Police, ten holiday novels, and a five-novel series covering the period of WWI. If mystery is your genre and you're looking for a new author, Perry is extremely prolific!)

Midnight at Marble Arch covers Pitt's investigation of two of the most taboo crimes of the Victoria era - murder and rape. This investigation takes us beneath the glittering surface of wealthy Victorian Society into a nightmare world of fear and intimidation, where women are too often blamed for the violent attacks against themseves, and powerful men take what they want, leaving others to pay the price.

This may be one of Perry's darkest stories yet, touching not only on murder and rape, but also on international politics, high finance, and the coming of age of Pitt's children, Jemima, 14 and Daniel 11, in a culture rife with hidden dangers.

Lots of info for a book review, but it was an excellent book - an engrossing story, rich character development and a satisfactory ending.

Queen Colleen
PigletsPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:01 PM   #1386
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Book 17 hold on tight

It was about a group looking at colleges and the fun the had

Yes I enjoyed it
Old 04-28-2013, 10:03 PM   #1387
willowsnn3
Tagless not by choice but by circumstance

Goal 72

#30 Her Daughter's Dream by Francine Rivers

Sequel to Her Mother's Hope. Very, very good, picked up right where the first book ended. First book started with Marta and the second book ended with her great granddaughter May Flower Dawn.
Great books by a great Christian novelist, very inspiring.

Now off to Freak which is the sequel to Creep......

Book Challenge Goal 85/72

willowsnn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:34 AM   #1388
portia9
DIS Veteran

Goal 100

#56 On a Wing and a Prayer by Helen Carey-the third in the Lavender Rd series. Great trilogy set in WW2 London-really liked this series.

Book Challenge Goal for 2014-100 books

blueeyedboy~It Happened One Summer~Imperial Requiem~The Search for Anne Perry~A Sprig of Lavender~Pride and Prejudice:The Scenes Jane Austen Never Wrote~The Village Newcomers~The Mist on Bronte Moor~A Village in Jeopardy~The Next Best Thing~Village School~Life After Life~A Room of One's Own~The Rosie Project~Summertime~Cheaper By The Dozen~Belles on Their Toes~A Perfect Life~Kilmeny of the Orchard~The Real Life Mary Poppins~A Proud Taste of Scarlet and Miniver~Expectations of Happiness~The Last Wife of Henry VIII~Tempting Fate~The Rebuttal~A Storm of Swords~A Feast for Crows~A Dance of Dragons~Green Grass~Girt~Village Books~Searching for Shona~The Wonderful Wizard of Oz~The Marvelous Land of Oz~Ozma of Oz~The Maze Runner~Revenge Wears Prada~Captain Wentworth Home From the Sea~Mr Darcy's Great Escape~None But You~For You Alone~Tess of the D'urbervilles~The Pursuit of God~Is It Just Me?~Notes To My Mother-In-Law~The Little Friend~About the B'nai Bagels~Aunt Dimity's Death~Poldark~A Man Lay Dead~Attempting Elizabeth~Mrs Dalloway~The Mayor of Casterbridge~Speaking From Among the Bones~The Second Chance~Aunt Dimity and the Duke~Volunteering~The Fellowship of the Ring~The Two Towers~The Return of the King~Demelza~Innocence of Father Brown~The Lowland~The Europeans~North and South~Quartet in Autumn~Jane Eyre~Collected Works of A.J.Fikry~The Sisterhood~Come and Tell Me Some Lies~How Many Camels Are There in Holland?~
portia9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:08 AM   #1389
Swimnoid
DIS Veteran

Goal = 75

46. The Lottery by Beth Goobie
From Goodreads: Sally Hanson's school is being secretly ruled by Shadow Council; a powerful and brutal group of students. Every autumn Shadow Council holds 'The Lottery', a dreaded ritual which picks a pupil to be the 'victim' - a person who is ignored by the entire school and forced to become Shadow Council's slave.

I liked this young adult novel. The actions of the students were both abhorrent and believable.

47. Path of the Assassin by Brad Thor
This is the second book in the Scot Harvath series. Scot is an ex SEAL who is now with the Secret Service. He is supposed to be the President's body guard but in this book he is seeking an assassin in Libya and thereabouts. The book does draw some points from the 1st novel but not enough that you have to read it first. Its a good read that keeps you going.
Swimnoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:51 AM   #1390
dismom301930
Mouseketeer

Goal = 50

Book #22
The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman: http://www.amazon.com/Light-Between-...between+oceans

I loved this book. It is the story of a young couple who live on an island off the coast of Australia in the 1920s, where he is the keeper of the lighthouse. They have been trying unsuccessfully to have a child for several years, when a boat washes ashore with a baby and a dead man inside. The choices they make that day set off a series of events that determine their fate as well as the fate of many other people.

I thought this novel was beautifully written and I read the entire book in one day.
dismom301930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:34 AM   #1391
WowLookAtThat
DIS Veteran

Book #35 Anne of Green Gables by LM Montgomery

Review: What can I say about this book that has not been said before? This is one of my favorite book series going back to when I was a teenager and my great-grandmother bought me the box set but it goes even further to when I was a little kid and I watched Sullivan's version of the Green Gables series.

If you know about the book series but haven't seen Kevin Sullivan's miniseries...seriously get off the computer right now and go get it. Skip Anne: The Journey Begins and Anne: The Continuing Story, those are just awful. Stick to the first two, Anne of Green Gables and Anne of Avonlea because they are just gorgeous and stick to the author's books than the last two.

Ok, so I won't give a summary because I am sure that people have read it. All I can say is the first book is kind of simple. Anne is an orphan with a big imagination who is adopted by the Cuthberts and she develops into a lovely person. There are some funny misadventures (my favorite is when she dyed her hair green on accident) and just some beautiful scenery passages. The characters have their flaws but are just wonderful and realistic. The book isn't all happy but the sad scenes are poignant and tender. Out of the Green Gables series, this book lacks the heavy drama and romance compared to the other books. However, the reader gets to know Anne and the characters of Avonlea and it is amazing to see the progression from an 11-year old who has so much hope and gets in some scrapes to a young woman on the edge of a bright, new future.

Since this IS sort of an anonymous board I have a personal story with the miniseries. When I was a kid my dad was the toughest guy and one time he was out of work from an injury so he was restless and found my DVD of Anne of Green Gables. I come home late from work and the man is on the couch a little misty eyed from the scene where Anne gets her first formal dress and goes to show it to Matthew. "It's the pollen!" he cried out but I had to crack up and tell him it was fine. He still watches it sometimes and blames the pollen and dander but dad is a kindred spirit.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:39 AM   #1392
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Okay, I think I finished #11: Spellcaster by Claudia Gray (pseudonym for Amy Vincent).

It's definitely a YA book and is listed as Harlequin Teen.

It wasn't bad. Maybe that's what I need these days: a teen romance.

It had to do with magic/witches, saving a town, building friendships.

Very light read but I did get through it!

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:04 AM   #1393
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it

27/50: A really horrible romance that I'm ashamed to admit I read. SO I won't.

28/50: JUST FOR NOW by Abbi Glines: I had a hard time with this one because it was part of a series and kept mentioning characters from her other books.

29/50: RAISING YOUR SPIRITED CHILD: Because I have one, I needed this. Not sure it will be helpful, but I like that it framed my daughter's characteristics in a positive way.
Ginny Favers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:56 AM   #1394
jenny105
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginny Favers View Post
27/50: A really horrible romance that I'm ashamed to admit I read. SO I won't.

28/50: JUST FOR NOW by Abbi Glines: I had a hard time with this one because it was part of a series and kept mentioning characters from her other books.

29/50: RAISING YOUR SPIRITED CHILD: Because I have one, I needed this. Not sure it will be helpful, but I like that it framed my daughter's characteristics in a positive way.
I'm reading a book about the Sweet Valley High series. If I'm not embarrassed, you shouldn't be either!

Me DBf Kris Mitzu
Sept 2015 ASMu/DCL ~ August 2013 GF ~ Oct 2012 AKL ~ April 2011 DL Paradise Pier ~ Oct 2010 POP ~ Sept 2009 WL/DCL/BCV ~ Nov 2008 RPR Universal ~ Jan 2008 POP ~ April 2007 POP ~ Jan 2006 POP
jenny105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:33 PM   #1395
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny105 View Post
I'm reading a book about the Sweet Valley High series. If I'm not embarrassed, you shouldn't be either!
I LOVE SVH!! That is totally respectable stuff compared to the book I read.
Ginny Favers is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: