Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2013, 03:33 PM   #1336
Swimnoid
DIS Veteran

Goal = 75

43. Divergent by Veronica Roth
I didnt like this one as much as most of the YA dystopia novels I have read. I will read Insurgent but I'm not in a rush to start it.
Swimnoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:00 PM   #1337
willowsnn3
Tagless not by choice but by circumstance

Goal 72

#28 Creep by Jennifer Hillier

Psychology professor Sheila has affair with Ethan, one of her teaching assistants, but breaks it off when she becomes engaged to her Morris, her true love. Ethan doesn't like that one bit......
A thriller of deadly attraction. Bit too much sex for me but considering one of the main characters is a sex addict....
It was a good book, didn't figure the ending out before hand and would recommend it.

Book Challenge Goal 80/72

willowsnn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-21-2013, 03:11 AM   #1338
WowLookAtThat
DIS Veteran

Book #33 When she said I do by Celeste Bradley

Review: So after reading my last book I needed something lighter and so I turned to the lurid romance book section. Oh boy did I choose one. So basically When She Said I Do is a weird mix of 50 Shades of Grey, Pride and Prejudice and Beauty and The Beast. Of course there is romance but there is also some suspense to the story and some mystery.

So, our heroine Callie Worthington and her family are stranded in this abandoned looking manor. She goes to explore the place and finds jewelry and puts on a pearl necklace. The hero, Ren Porter who fits the role as a brooding and mysterious hooded stranger. Of course they are in a compromising situation and now are stuck in this quickie marriage.
Of course the couple has their own personal issues, Ren is haunted by his past and thinks he is going to die whereas Callie has been the sole caretaker to her family (the parents are alive but they are basically useless) and feels she has nothing to show for it. Add to that some crazy person is trying to kill Callie.

Without giving so much of the story away, there are a few problems I have with it. One is with Callie's family. Ok, so the heroine is 30 and is a "spinster" (remember this is 1810s), she is the one who takes care of her parents AND her numerous siblings. Yeah she loves them but is burdened by them. When the Worthingtons show up, honestly I was annoyed with their selfishness and impulsiveness. Her parents have never took responsibility for their children and I feel that Callie has some resentment towards them. There are also some issues that I feel are not resolved in the end and kind of ticked me off.

OK, so I did warn you that there is some 50 Shades of Grey influence and sometimes it gets a bit much.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:24 AM   #1339
portia9
DIS Veteran

Goal 100

Book #48 A World Without Darcy by C Rafe Carlson-more Austen fanfic. Good quick read.

Book Challenge Goal for 2014-100 books

blueeyedboy~It Happened One Summer~Imperial Requiem~The Search for Anne Perry~A Sprig of Lavender~Pride and Prejudice:The Scenes Jane Austen Never Wrote~The Village Newcomers~The Mist on Bronte Moor~A Village in Jeopardy~The Next Best Thing~Village School~Life After Life~A Room of One's Own~The Rosie Project~Summertime~Cheaper By The Dozen~Belles on Their Toes~A Perfect Life~Kilmeny of the Orchard~The Real Life Mary Poppins~A Proud Taste of Scarlet and Miniver~Expectations of Happiness~The Last Wife of Henry VIII~Tempting Fate~The Rebuttal~A Storm of Swords~A Feast for Crows~A Dance of Dragons~Green Grass~Girt~Village Books~Searching for Shona~The Wonderful Wizard of Oz~The Marvelous Land of Oz~Ozma of Oz~The Maze Runner~Revenge Wears Prada~Captain Wentworth Home From the Sea~Mr Darcy's Great Escape~None But You~For You Alone~Tess of the D'urbervilles~The Pursuit of God~Is It Just Me?~Notes To My Mother-In-Law~The Little Friend~About the B'nai Bagels~Aunt Dimity's Death~Poldark~A Man Lay Dead~Attempting Elizabeth~Mrs Dalloway~The Mayor of Casterbridge~Speaking From Among the Bones~The Second Chance~Aunt Dimity and the Duke~Volunteering~The Fellowship of the Ring~The Two Towers~The Return of the King~Demelza~Innocence of Father Brown~The Lowland~The Europeans~North and South~Quartet in Autumn~Jane Eyre~Collected Works of A.J.Fikry~The Sisterhood~Come and Tell Me Some Lies~How Many Camels Are There in Holland?~
portia9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:18 PM   #1340
amberg93
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseheidi View Post
Just beware that you will feel the same way at the end of Insurgent, and the next one is not out until the fall. I still can't wait to read it, and I read both last Sept/Oct.
Ugh, I do feel the same way and I'm frustrated. At least the book title has been released!

Finished quite a few because I was on vacation =D

Number 7: Insurgent by Veronica Roth
Number 8: The Host by Stephenie Meyer
Number 9: City of Bones by Cassandra Clare
Number 10: City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare
Number 11: Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks

I didn't think I'd get through both of the Mortal Instruments books, so I didn't bring the third one with me. I picked Safe Haven up from my wife's pile given that she hadn't read it.

Up next: City of Glass by Cassandra Clare
May 2014 - All Star Sports PTR "I bet they get Charmin" Girls Trip **In progress**
September 2014 - All Star Movies + Port Orleans French Quarter "A for effort, C for execution." MNSSHP + F&W *In progress*
amberg93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:31 PM   #1341
dismom301930
Mouseketeer

Book #21
New Goal = 50

(OP, since I am more than halfway to my original goal of 40, I am updating my goal to 50! Can you please make the change for me? Thanks!)

Signs of Life by Natalie Taylor (http://www.amazon.com/Signs-Life-Mem...=signs+of+life)
Natalie Taylor was 24 years old and 5 months pregnant when her husband died unexpectedly. This is her moving, heartbreaking, and yet at times funny account of her first year as a widow.
dismom301930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:05 PM   #1342
Kathi OD
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the nevermind we know what was thereRedhead
Guess what - Doesn't like the cheese soup

OK, I can't remember when I last updated...I've been terribly irresponsible about it, sorry!

I just finished book #12 (I'm behind...maybe now that my busy time at school and mom & dad are back in their own home, I'll be able to read a bit more).

#12 - Hotel on the Corner of Bitter & Sweet - was pretty good. I gave it a 4/5 on Goodreads, but probably would have gone more 3.5, if I could. It's about a Chinese-American man who grew up in Seattle during WWII and became friends with and then fell in love with a Japanese-American girl, much to the displeasure of his father. Years later, after he has married a Chinese girl, he is encouraged to find his first love by his son and his fiance.

"The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles, but to irrigate deserts." -- C. S. Lewis
Kathi OD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:37 PM   #1343
ebtbmom
DIS Veteran

I've been slack about posting, but I'm actually up to 5 books read (goal 15).

Five Children and It by E Nesbit: Loved it 4.5 stars! Children's story that is reminiscent of CS Lewis' work. Five siblings find a fairy that will grant them 1 wish per day. But as often happens, the wishes don't turn out as they hoped!

A Drink Before the War by Dennis Lehane: I'd give this 3, I finished it and was somewhat interested in the story, but I wouldn't say I loved it. It's basically about a PI hired to obtain stolen goods and he gets in the middle of a gang war. The theme of racial tension and dealing with one's own ideas was huge, but to me it kind of dated the book. He wrote Mystic River too, I think I'll try that before making a decision on this author.

Ghosts in the Graveyard by Kim Bowman: I'd give this 3.5. It is pretty short and an easy read. The story is not particularly original, but it held my attention. Every Halloween 3 siblings believe that ghosts are coming into their house from the nearby graveyard. They set out to prevent it this year.
11/2004 1st trip, ASM,11/2006 2nd trip, POP,6/2008 day trip DLR,11/2008 3rd trip, POP,1/2010 DLR at DLH!,1/2011 1st solo POFQ, 11/2011 POR, 3/2012 B-day trip! 10/2012 POP, 6/2013 day trip DLP 11/2013 POP 2/2014 CSR 2nd solo! 10/2014 CBR
ebtbmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:44 PM   #1344
Swimnoid
DIS Veteran

goal = 75

44. Totlandia: the Onesies (Book One) by Josie Brown
I got this as a free Kindle book. It was cute and funny. The story revolves around different people who are all trying to get their one year olds into an exclusive playgroup and what they have to do and the friendships they make. The only problem was that it is a series and of course I want to read more! But I dont want to read it enough to pay for all the installments. Supposedly the series will continue throughout their playgroup years.

45. Catch Me by Lisa Gardner
#6 of the DD Warren series. An interesting mystery about a woman who believes she is next in line to be murdered so she goes to the police first try to get help. There are some really good twists and turns but it was pretty easy to see where it would end up. Nonetheless I enjoyed it and will read more of this series.
Swimnoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:51 AM   #1345
KrazyPete
skeleton

Goal - 24 books

Book #7 - Alif the Unseen by G. Willow Wilson - I've read some Christian fiction and this felt a bit like that. It was a really good story but I sensed a bit of a religious agenda knitted through it. Here it's Islam rather than Christianity. The story is predictable at times. It takes so many turns that you have to be caught off guard by some of them even if you can see others coming from a mile away. It's the story of a computer hacker in a Middle Eastern nation who falls in love with a woman above his own social class, gets in trouble with the government and ends up in possession of an ancient manuscript that causes him to cross back and forth between our world and the unseen world of genies. I enjoyed it.

Next up - How about little help?
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey
or
Mystic River by Dennis Lehane
or
On Writing by Stephen King
KrazyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:25 AM   #1346
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dismom301930 View Post
Book #21
New Goal = 50

(OP, since I am more than halfway to my original goal of 40, I am updating my goal to 50! Can you please make the change for me? Thanks!)
Off to update you now! Nice work on your reading so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyPete View Post
Goal - 24 books

Next up - How about little help?
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey
or
Mystic River by Dennis Lehane
or
On Writing by Stephen King
Hmmm... I'd say Mystic River only because I have that same book on my "to read" and I'm wondering if it's any good (because I'm selfish like that, lol!)

Other than that, I'll throw an additional book in there since I know you enjoy magicians - The Night Circus.

Good luck!

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife, #16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker, #26 Rainshadow Road, #27 The Art of Hearing Heartbeats, #28 Little Bee, #29 The Art Forger, #30 One Plus One, #31 Double Whammy, #32 The Girl You Left Behind, #33 Orphan Train, #34 Big Little Lies, #35 The Good Girl, #36 The Girl with All the Gifts, #37 Outlander, #38 Lucid, #39 You

Currently reading: #40 Dragonfly in Amber

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:28 AM   #1347
KrazyPete
skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeboysmom View Post
Other than that, I'll throw an additional book in there since I know you enjoy magicians - The Night Circus.
Are there any clowns in that circus book? Magicians are cool but I REALLY like clowns.
KrazyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:01 AM   #1348
nemofans
DIS Veteran

Is The Host by Stephanie Meyer good?

8/2000 WDW Grosvenor Resort (got engaged!), 11/2005 DL PPH CL, 12/2006 WDW Poly, 02/2008 WDW AKL, 2/2010 WDW CR CL, 2/2011 DCL Magic, 11/2011 DL GCH, 10/2012 WDW AKL CL

2013 Book Challenge: 87 out of 75 GOAL MET!!
2014 Book Challenge: 87 out of 85 GOAL MET!!
nemofans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:53 AM   #1349
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it

I got on a New Adult kick for a little while there, so I read:

24/50: GOING UNDER by someone I can't remember
25/50: WAIT FOR YOU by J. Lynn

Okay, I think I am done with New Adult for the time being. They're all starting to run together. Girl gets with amazing and hot sexy guy who used to be a complete player and is now mysteriously obsessed with her, but she harbors some deep dark secret that is tearing them apart, so all she does is whine. Yet everyone still loves her, despite her whining, including the gay best friend whose main purpose is to provide comic relief.

Plus, so many typos!! Why do I keep going by the reviews on Amazon? Obviously all those reviewers don't mind derivative books with typos the way I do.

Now I am moving onto THE DEATH CURE by James Dashner but it's already driving me crazy because I read the first two books in the series too long ago and have absolutely NO CLUE what is going on!
Ginny Favers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:39 PM   #1350
amberg93
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemofans View Post
Is The Host by Stephanie Meyer good?
It's amazing. I seriously re-read half of the book after I finished because I enjoyed it that much. It takes a little bit to get into it, but you'll be glad that you did.

Finished number 12: City of Glass by Cassandra Clare. I enjoyed it and was surprised at some of the twists and turns that were thrown in. Overall, I'd recommend.

Up next: City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra Clare
May 2014 - All Star Sports PTR "I bet they get Charmin" Girls Trip **In progress**
September 2014 - All Star Movies + Port Orleans French Quarter "A for effort, C for execution." MNSSHP + F&W *In progress*
amberg93 is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: