Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 10:31 AM   #121
Desiree
BL II - Purple Team
LSU Fan.. Geaux Tigers!
I melt when I hear him talk
Eats food one item at a time and in order

I am totally late to the party as usual but I'd love to join this! My goal for the year is 30 books.

I just started Good Omens by Terry Pratchett/Neil Gaiman on my DH's recommendation!

Desiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:32 AM   #122
penguin1102
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychunkymonkey

On a scale of one to 5 was it like at least a 3? I can get it free but wasnt sure it would be any good.

I havent even finsihed one book! yikes guys!
I got it for free on my kindle. I would say a 3 if you like cheesy predictable books. I thought it was a cute way to start a series.
penguin1102 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-03-2013, 11:53 AM   #123
diznee25
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowsnn3 View Post
Ok what we did on the last book challenge was introduce ourselves and set a goal. We kept track of our own by posting something like this after completing each book:

Goal 48

#22 "Book Title" "Author"

Brief review.

Just a suggestion.
It's too confusing for me otherwise, lol.
I don't know about everyone else, but I'll follow this format when reviewing each book.

Yea, for those who already finished their first book, I was a little disappointed about not seeing a review. All they did was write down the title/author, but no mention whether they liked it, or if the characters had depth, if the storyline was engaging....etc.

And it would be fun if everyone put their original goal # at the top of each review.....as quoted above. It's fun to follow along and see how far along everyone is in reaching their goals!

Maybe write down the genre next to the author's name. Would be nice to know if it's fiction, memoir, graphic novels, romance, etc. Just a thought!

diznee25

Last edited by diznee25; 01-03-2013 at 12:03 PM.
diznee25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:03 PM   #124
Pixiedust34
It's like I'm stuck in a music time warp
Hasn't touched an iron in over 10 yrs!
I love Target! Where else can you buy candy corn 90% off?!
My tags are getting dusty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom View Post
I've already got my first glitch with Goodreads. I logged on this morning to change the status of a book from reading to read, which I did. But then I couldn't figure out how to add another book to the "currently reading" shelf. Hey, I did post on the Dis Readers discussions, so I'm feeling pretty confident that this will eventually work out for me!
What I do is add the book I'm reading to my "want to read" shelf. Then I use "edit shelves" and switch it to currently reading.

I wish Goodreads had a "re-reading" shelf.

Is there a Dis Readers groups on Goodreads? Is so, is it open to those in this thread to join?
Old 01-03-2013, 12:05 PM   #125
diznee25
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixiedust34 View Post
What I do is add the book I'm reading to my "want to read" shelf. Then I use "edit shelves" and switch it to currently reading.

I wish Goodreads had a "re-reading" shelf.

Is there a Dis Readers groups on Goodreads? Is so, is it open to those in this thread to join?
Yes, it's DISreaders, and it's a public group, so anyone can join.

diznee25
Old 01-03-2013, 12:09 PM   #126
Pixiedust34
It's like I'm stuck in a music time warp
Hasn't touched an iron in over 10 yrs!
I love Target! Where else can you buy candy corn 90% off?!
My tags are getting dusty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diznee25 View Post
Yes, it's DISreaders, and it's a public group, so anyone can join.

diznee25
Thank you!! Found it and joined.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:31 PM   #127
Desiree
BL II - Purple Team
LSU Fan.. Geaux Tigers!
I melt when I hear him talk
Eats food one item at a time and in order

Just joined the group as well!

Desiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:33 PM   #128
funkychunkymonkey
DIS Veteran

I love the idea of reviewing the books but could we add something? On the bottom could you please (if your a e reader person) list if you found it free and what your using (kindle, b&N, Kobo). It would be really nice for those of us who are broke!
RIP:
guiedo (guiena pig) bluebeard
funkychunkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:40 PM   #129
Glynis
Taking applications for a WDW tour guide!

Hooray!!! I finished my first book of 2013!!!

Goal: 50 books

Book #1: Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand (non-fiction)

Review: I give this book 5 stars! I had been looking forward to reading this book, due to the reviews given to it by DIS members. However, for one reason or another, I never got around to it. Luckily, my book club members voted on it, so I had my opportunity.

This is the story of World War II prisoner of war, Louie Zamperini. After crashing in the Pacific, he and 2 other men float on life rafts until they are captured by the Japanese.

I was afraid that this would be an emotionally difficult book to read, but it really wasn't. It was uplifting, and by the end of the book I felt really good about it. Laura Hillenbrand has a way of writing non-fiction, and making it read like fiction. This was a book that I didn't want to put down. I highly recommend this book!

(Is this the kind of review that is wanted here?)

2014 Reading Challenge Goal: 70 books

The Art of Racing in the Rain ~ The House of Hades ~ How To Be Like Walt ~ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows ~ The Seven Mouths of God ~ Behind the Beautiful Forevers ~ The Mysterious Affair at Styles ~ The Big 5-Oh ~ A Year in the Life of William Shakespeare ~ Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children ~ Wait Till Next Year ~ While We Were Watching Downton Abbey ~ Great Expectations ~ The Maze Runner ~ The Fault In Our Stars ~ The Juliet Club ~ The Girls' Guide to Love and Supper Clubs ~ The Power of One ~ The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat ~ Hollow City ~ The Fountainhead ~ Cat's Cradle ~ Speaking From Among The Bones ~ Death Comes to Pemberley ~ Quilt or Innocence ~ The Chocolate Thief ~ On Strike for Christmas ~ Bikini Season ~ Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker ~ Miss Dreamsville and the Collier County Women's Literary Society ~ Cinnamon Roll Murder ~ Red Velvet Cupcake Murder ~ Blackberry Pie Murder ~ Home To Holly Springs ~ In The Company of Others ~ The Devil in the White City ~ Gathering Blue ~ Messenger ~ The Bell Jar ~ The Boys in the Boat ~ The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches ~ Son ~ Beach Colors ~ Welcome to Last Chance ~ Last Chance Beauty Queen ~ Last Chance Knit and Stitch ~ The World According to Garp ~ The Bean Trees ~ I'll Be Seeing You ~ The Hours ~ Prodigal Summer ~ The Ocean at the End of the Lane ~ The Light Between Oceans
Glynis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:43 PM   #130
phorsenuf
Not so New Rule author on the DISSome discuss it calmly and some ...
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychunkymonkey View Post
I love the idea of reviewing the books but could we add something? On the bottom could you please (if your a e reader person) list if you found it free and what your using (kindle, b&N, Kobo). It would be really nice for those of us who are broke!
The only problem with that is it may be free or reduced one day and the next back up to regular price. So that info would more then likely be outdated by the time someone finished and wrote a review.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:48 PM   #131
diznee25
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glynis View Post

Review: I give this book 5 stars! I had been looking forward to reading this book, due to the reviews given to it by DIS members. However, for one reason or another, I never got around to it. Luckily, my book club members voted on it, so I had my opportunity.

This is the story of World War II prisoner of war, Louie Zamperini. After crashing in the Pacific, he and 2 other men float on life rafts until they are captured by the Japanese.

I was afraid that this would be an emotionally difficult book to read, but it really wasn't. It was uplifting, and by the end of the book I felt really good about it. Laura Hillenbrand has a way of writing non-fiction, and making it read like fiction. This was a book that I didn't want to put down. I highly recommend this book!

I can't speak for everyone, but yea, that's good enough! Thanks for sharing!
Old 01-03-2013, 01:49 PM   #132
phorsenuf
Not so New Rule author on the DISSome discuss it calmly and some ...
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diznee25 View Post
I can't speak for everyone, but yea, that's good enough! Thanks for sharing!
I agree. Perfect!
Old 01-03-2013, 02:41 PM   #133
CourtasanSatine
I'm partial to the 4th seaters
Has a crush on James Marsden
I'm a Trendy in a Preppy family

1. The Walking Dead Survivors Guide (Graphic Novel)
Tim Daniel, Robert Kirkman, Charles Adlard, Cliff Rathburn

I will admit I got this because of the show and wanting to compare the two formats along with learn about the characters. This book is just that, a good crash course on TWD novel verse. Its also a pretty painless read in terms of a page load. There is only one problem but a really small one in my mind: there are spoilers for the graphic novels (TWD is pretty kill off happy after all) and since it follows the show that could be a problem for those not caught up on current TV canon. Also no Dixon brothers since they are not in the novel verse.

Otherwise an A- grade wise given the format and minor issues.

Next up: Substitution Method from Eureka (SyFy Channel) for a bit of silly fun.

Come and get me boys: Satine

"For Justice!" "For Kibbles!"

"Or maybe its the plumbing!"

CourtasanSatine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:49 PM   #134
nancycg56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glynis View Post

I read this book last year and it is a wonderful book!!!
Old 01-03-2013, 02:58 PM   #135
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Updated up through here.

Please please take a look at the first post in this thread to make sure I have your name and the correct number of books.

With people posting now of books they've completed, it's getting easier for me to miss a "goal" post, lol.

And CONGRATS to those that are already finishing books for 2013!! I'm still working on my #1 - 100 pages still to go.

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife, #16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker, #26 Rainshadow Road, #27 The Art of Hearing Heartbeats, #28 Little Bee, #29 The Art Forger, #30 One Plus One, #31 Double Whammy, #32 The Girl You Left Behind, #33 Orphan Train, #34 Big Little Lies, #35 The Good Girl, #36 The Girl with All the Gifts, #37 Outlander, #38 Lucid, #39 You, #40 Dragonfly in Amber

Currently reading: #41 Voyager

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: