Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2013, 05:49 PM   #1291
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Book16 close your eyes

Sierra's heart stops, knowing the voice that just addressed her is oddly familiar. Holding her breath, Sierra slowly turns and looks into the face she's been carrying around in her memory for months Paul's.
With eyes closed, Sierra wonders if God is tired of hearing all her prayers for the unattainable Paul until a school volunteer project at a homeless shelter opens her eyes to some needy children and to Paul working there! Brief conversations with him confirm her hopes that there is definitely some kind of unique attraction between them.

In the meantime, she's enjoying her growing friendship with Randy, but gets caught in a sticky situation when Paul comes over for dinner and Randy shows up at the same time. When Paul tells her he'd like to talk to her, Sierra's sure this is the dream date she's been praying for.

While listening to powerful lyrics at a concert featuring the popular music group Sierra, will she learn to trust God with her feelings for Paul and Randy?

Ot sorry for the delay my work days have been extra long
Old 04-13-2013, 05:17 PM   #1292
zippitydoo
DIS Veteran

Book 17 of 30

The Watcher: A Romantic Thriller by Jo Robertson

Forensic psychiatrist Kate Myers believes the killer of two teenage girls in Bigler County, California, is the same man who savagely murdered her twin sister over fifteen years ago. Working on sheer tenacity, she sets out to prove it. Deputy Sheriff Ben Slater hides his personal pain behind the job, but Kate's arrival knocks his world on its axis. He wants to believe her wild theory, but the idea of a serial killer with this pathology is bizarre. Together they work to find a killer whose roots began in a small town in Bigler County, but whose violence spread across the nation. A Janus-like killer, more monster than man, fixates on Kate and wants nothing more than to kill her "again."

2014 Book Challenge
Completed 23 of 50:
A Shade of Blood, A Castle of Sand, Takedown Twenty, Louisiana Longshot, Dirty Little Secrets, The One You Love, The One You Fear, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, A Shadow of Light, Hollow City, Room, The Barkeep, A Blaze of Sun, I Think I Love You, Broken, Body Movers, A Gate of Night
zippitydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-14-2013, 03:29 AM   #1293
WowLookAtThat
DIS Veteran

Book #31 The Wise Women of Havana by Jose Raul Bernardo

Review: I don't know how I feel about this book. It was well-written, the descriptions were wonderful and the anecdotes about other characters were interesting if unneeded and plot was well-constructed but...I just feel unsettled by the book as it brings up the subject of abortion. There were some parts I felt a little disturbed about but it is an engaging story full of a flavor that I cannot identify.

The book is about two women, Lolo and Margarita. Margarita is newly married to Lorenzo and feels uneasy and perhaps a little threatened by her sister-in-law,Lolo. At first I didn't like Lolo but as the book went on I at least understood her. The family drama that unfolds here made me feel unsettled about the book and the resentment and anger that Margarita has about Lolo is finished almost too neatly near the end of the book.

Honestly, I don't know if I would suggest it. It is good and engaging but something seems....off about this book.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:45 AM   #1294
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

Goal: 52 books this year

#25 down and done.

A World Without Darcy by C. Rafe Carlson takes a page from the screenplay of It's A Wonderful Life. Still chafing several months after Elizabeth's refusal of his proposal of marriage, Darcy leaves a party where Elizabeth is being courted by one of many suitors considered unworthy by Mr. Darcy. Angrily storming through the park to clear his head, he comes upon "Charlie," who was to change Darcy's life. Is the change for the better? Will Mr Darcy become a better person or a bitter person? The story is kind of formulaic, but I love Jane Austen "sequels" and since Jane Austen is dead...

Queen Colleen
PigletsPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:17 AM   #1295
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

I just finished "Return to Willow Lake" by Susan Wiggs. I usually like the author, and this book definitely didn't disappoint. It was one of those books that you hate it to end, but you love it so much, you just can't stop reading. I love her devotion to family, and I love that she ended up with the guy who'd always stuck by her, her best friend.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:02 PM   #1296
CaliBear
DIS Veteran

Goal 40, Book 8: The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

I don't think I need to post the summary. I saw that a number of people here had read it so I decided to give it a try. I really liked this for the first 80% or so. I liked the descriptions of the circus, the midnight dinners, and many of the characters. The book fell short for me in the ending. I feel like the author had a great idea that she didn't know how to write an ending for so she just wrapped it up in a way that didn't follow the internal logic of her story. Nevertheless, I enjoyed it so much up until that point that I feel like it deserves 4 stars from me.

Next up I return to The Hangman's Daughter series The Dark Monk.
Resort stays: DLR Grand Californian Jan 2011, HKDL Hollywood Hotel July 2011, WDW Wilderness Lodge Jan 2012, DLR Paradise Pier and MNSSHP Oct 2012, AKL Jan 2013, HKDL Hotel and Halloween party Oct 2013

2014 Book Challenge 1/30 read
1. David and Goliath 2. The Eye of the World 3. A Firing Offense 4. Fire from Heaven 5. The Gordonston Ladies Dog Walking Club 6. Orphan Train 7. A Most Peculiar Malaysian Murder 8. The Rosie Project 9. The New Centurions 10. The Black Echo 11. The Hall of Elders Crossing

Currently reading: Secrets of the Tudor Court by Darcey Bonnette
CaliBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:04 PM   #1297
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun

12/30 - Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

No need to do a summary as I think I was the only one left who hadn't read this. I enjoyed it all the way up until the end and then I was like whaaat? Still a solid read even though it didn't end the way I wanted it to.

4/5 stars

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
BearcatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:02 PM   #1298
Cogswel_Cogs
DIS Veteran

#5 Around the World in 80 Days - Jules Verne

Read it at the same time as my daughter. Was and will always be one of my favorite books, she enjoyed it but not as much as I did.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:13 PM   #1299
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Book 17 with this ring

Let the fun begin! As Sierra and her Southern California friends gather for the Big Event Doug and Tracy's wedding Sierra ponders the meaning of first kisses, lifetime commitments and pledge of love.

Wedding bells are ringing in Sierra's head. She's excited to visit Southern California and join Christy Miller and friends for the event they've all been waiting for: Tracy and Doug are finally going to tie the know.

As the prenuptial celebration gets underway, Sierra is caught up in a swirl of wedding gifts, bridal preparations and heart-to-heart discussions about virtue and purity. Meanwhile, the guys stir up some pre-wedding shenanigans that include a dressed-up chicken, a ball and chain and, quite by accident, a broken foot.

Once the Big Event arrives, Sierra takes a good look around the church and can't help but notice everyone is in love! Doug and Tracy, of course, are head over heels; Christy and Todd have a fair share of love's twinkle dust sprinkled on them; Katie's infatuated; and even Sierra's sister, Tawni, has a sweetheart. Glancing down at the new, gold purity ring from her dad, Sierra makes a vow of her own: to save herself for her future mate. But she worries that her best friend, Amy, is settling for less than God's best by dating and kissing that flirtatious co-worker at the restaurant.

Amid the I dos and Doug and Tracy's first kiss, Sierra finds herself thinking about Paul, the mystery man who now lives
Old 04-14-2013, 10:11 PM   #1300
StephMK
DIS Veteran

#17 - The Dinner, Herman Koch -
Per Amazon - "An internationally bestselling phenomenon: the darkly suspenseful, highly controversial tale of two families struggling to make the hardest decision of their lives -- all over the course of one meal.

It's a summer's evening in Amsterdam, and two couples meet at a fashionable restaurant for dinner. Between mouthfuls of food and over the polite scrapings of cutlery, the conversation remains a gentle hum of polite discourse -- the banality of work, the triviality of the holidays. But behind the empty words, terrible things need to be said, and with every forced smile and every new course, the knives are being sharpened."

They call it a "European Gone Girl" but it is much more similar to Defending Jacob if anything. It was good but not as good as Gone Girl or Defending Jacob. I could not get as wrapped up in the suspense as the description.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:37 AM   #1301
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowsnn3 View Post
Goal 72

#25 The Birthing House by Christopher Ransom

To be blunt, this was just a stupid book, lol. I think the author must have started out with a good idea then started doing crack. Oh, wait, maybe it would have been better if he was smoking something, lol.
Do you ever wonder about the reviews on the back jacket of a book that are written by other authors??? The ones that rave about how good the book is??
I give this a minus 5 stars..

Tell us what you really think about it!

No, I do not wonder. There is a lot of "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" in the world of blurb-writing for authors. I know of one author who was given a 6-figure advance for a book she hadn't written, just because one of her best friends was a well-known author who could promise a blurb for the book. I NEVER read those blurbs-- whenever I see one, I just assume that the author is friends with whomever gave the blurb.

My updates:

22/50: Secret book that shall not be named
23/50: UNDEAD by Kristy McKay

This is a good YA book for anyone who is missing THE WALKING DEAD while it's on hiatus. It's a fun, campy book about a bunch of teens trapped on a bus during the zombie apocalypse. I liked it, but again... another series!! Gah. It ended with such a cliffhanger... I think I need to read the next book, whenever it comes out.
Ginny Favers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:10 PM   #1302
KrazyPete
skeleton

Goal - 24 books

Book #6 - Defending Jacob by William Landay - It's a legal drama/family drama/murder mystery. I like a book that keeps me guessing and this one managed to surprise me several times. I liked it well enough to recommend it without reservation.

Next up - Alif the Unseen by G. Willow Wilson - It was the book of the month on The Verge (tech blog) a while back and it sounded interesting. I'm feeling like I want to read something a little different and this one might be just what I need.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:55 AM   #1303
nemofans
DIS Veteran

Finished book #23- Kingdom Keepers: Disney After Dark by Ridley Pearson

This is a fun YA book that takes place in Disney World. Great to read their adventures thru the parks & rides while being chased by villains & such.

In this fantastical thriller, five young teens tapped as models for theme park "guides" find themselves pitted against Disney villains and witches that threaten both the future of Walt Disney World and the stability of the world outside its walls. Using a cutting-edge technology called DHI--which stands for both Disney Host Interactive and Daylight Hologram Imaging--Finn Whitman, an Orlando teen, and four other kids are transformed into hologram projections that guide guests through the park. The new technology turns out, however, to have unexpected effects that are both thrilling and scary. Soon Finn finds himself transported in his DHI form into the Magic Kingdom at night. Is it real? Is he dreaming?
Finn's confusion only increases when he encounters Wayne, an elderly Imagineer who tells him that the park is in grave danger. Led by the scheming witch, Maleficent, a mysterious group of characters called the Overtakers is plotting to destroy Disney's beloved realm, and maybe more.

I've been BOO'd!!

8/2000 Grosvenor Resort (got engaged!), 11/2005 DL PPH CL, 12/2006 Poly, 02/2008 AKL, 2/2010 CR CL, 2/2011 DCL Magic, 11/2011 DL GCH, 10/2012 AKL CL

2013 Book Challenge: 87 out of 75 GOAL MET!!
2014 Book Challenge: 29 out of 85
nemofans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:13 AM   #1304
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemofans View Post

This is a fun YA book that takes place in Disney World. Great to read their adventures thru the parks & rides while being chased by villains & such.

In this fantastical thriller, five young teens tapped as models for theme park "guides" find themselves pitted against Disney villains and witches that threaten both the future of Walt Disney World and the stability of the world outside its walls. Using a cutting-edge technology called DHI--which stands for both Disney Host Interactive and Daylight Hologram Imaging--Finn Whitman, an Orlando teen, and four other kids are transformed into hologram projections that guide guests through the park. The new technology turns out, however, to have unexpected effects that are both thrilling and scary. Soon Finn finds himself transported in his DHI form into the Magic Kingdom at night. Is it real? Is he dreaming?
Finn's confusion only increases when he encounters Wayne, an elderly Imagineer who tells him that the park is in grave danger. Led by the scheming witch, Maleficent, a mysterious group of characters called the Overtakers is plotting to destroy Disney's beloved realm, and maybe more.
I have to put that book on my list
Old 04-16-2013, 10:30 AM   #1305
jenny105
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemofans View Post

As much as I love Disney I just could not get into this book.

jenny105 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: