Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2013, 12:23 PM   #1276
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it

I'd better log my books before I start forgetting:

17/50 - FALSE MEMORY by Dan Krokos
18/50 - BRIGHT YOUNG THINGS by Anna Godberson
19/50 - WOOL by Hugh Howey
20/50 - MEET MOLLY (American Girl) Ok, I read this to my daughter
21/50 - STARTERS by Lissa Price

Honestly, I need to stop reading Series books because after reading the first book of any series, I never can bring myself to read the second one. The only series I read through to the end was Hunger Games. I guess I'm distracted by shiny objects.
Ginny Favers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:10 PM   #1277
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginny Favers View Post
I'd better log my books before I start forgetting:

17/50 - FALSE MEMORY by Dan Krokos
18/50 - BRIGHT YOUNG THINGS by Anna Godberson
19/50 - WOOL by Hugh Howey
20/50 - MEET MOLLY (American Girl) Ok, I read this to my daughter
21/50 - STARTERS by Lissa Price

Honestly, I need to stop reading Series books because after reading the first book of any series, I never can bring myself to read the second one. The only series I read through to the end was Hunger Games. I guess I'm distracted by shiny objects.
I'm the same way! I haven't a clue how so many people can read through a series back to back!! I'm way too distracted I guess.

That being said, I do have five different series going (that I can REMEMBER! ) that I'm currently reading. But I space months and sometimes years between each book, lol.

Edited to add: I did read through the Wool series you mentioned. I believe I did those back-to-back, but they were so short, it seemed like one book.

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 A Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife,#16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know

Currently reading: #24 A Daughter's Dream

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-10-2013, 03:01 PM   #1278
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeboysmom View Post
I'm the same way! I haven't a clue how so many people can read through a series back to back!! I'm way too distracted I guess.

That being said, I do have five different series going (that I can REMEMBER! ) that I'm currently reading. But I space months and sometimes years between each book, lol.

Edited to add: I did read through the Wool series you mentioned. I believe I did those back-to-back, but they were so short, it seemed like one book.
Have you read SHIFT? That's the "Sequel" to the Wool Series. I think each of them are in 5 parts. I agree the first 5 parts of Wool seemed like one book, but then I had no desire to read SHIFT afterwards!

And it is getting increasingly hard to find books that the author doesn't want to continue with past more than one book. I just realized that ALL of the books in the list above are series with more than one volume! And I have no desire to read the second volume of any of them. It's not that I didn't enjoy the book, it's that I didn't enjoy the book enough, I guess. Nothing has been like, "I MUST continue on and find out how this turns out!". I guess I don't care enough.
Ginny Favers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:59 PM   #1279
Caseheidi
DIS Veteran

Book 25 of 100 - For whom the Spell Tolls by H.P. Mallory (book 6 of the Dulci O'Neil series)

From Goodreads:
A war between The Resistance and the Netherworld,
A vampire who isn't all that he appears,
And the ultimate price that must be paid.

Dulcie O'Neil thought her luck couldn't get much worse but it's about to get a whole lot worse.

Forced into declaring war against the Netherworld and her father, Dulcie will find herself fighting for everything she believes in. In the process, she'll have to decide whether or not to trust a centuries old vampire, a decision which literally will mean life or death.

Luckily she's got hunky love interest, Knightley Vander, by her side but things get even stickier when she finds herself the subject of multiple men's affections.

This has been a quick, easy series to read. There was a little more sex in this last book then has been in the rest of the series, and I could have done without it to be honest. I gave it 3 stars on Goodreads.

DLR - Aug 1980, Aug 1985, May 1988, April 2002, Dec 2002, Dec 2004, Oct 2012

WDW - July/Aug 2001 (Honeymoon!), Oct 2004, Sept 2005, May 2006, Dec 2007, Dec 2008, Oct 2011
Caseheidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:15 PM   #1280
WowLookAtThat
DIS Veteran

Book #30 Palisades Park by Alan Brennert

Review: This book reads like a love letter but instead of the subject being a lover, it is to an amusement park. The Palisades in New Jersey, from Brennert's point of view, is a place that is both a magical land and a place of pure fun. The story follows the Stopka family, Eddie who fell in love with the park when he was just a kid, Adele his wife who has her own ambitions and their children, Jack and Toni who becomes a lady high diver. The book follows the family from 1922 until the park's closure in 1971. It is interesting that the family changes and forms their own identity but the Palisades Park stays constant. The book goes into detail about the shows, rides, foods and other amusements of the Palisades and at times it could be a little tedious but all together entertaining. I suggest it for a nostalgic read.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:41 PM   #1281
dismom301930
Mouseketeer

Goal = 40

#18 - Brides of Prairie Gold by Maggie Osborne (http://www.amazon.com/Brides-Prairie...f+prairie+gold)
This was recommended by someone in this thread. Tells the story of 12 mail order brides crossing the country in a wagon train in the mid-1800s. I liked it, especially the characters of Perrin and Mem, but their were a few things I didn't like. I especially didn't like the "mystery" story that started in the beginning of the book in the journal excerpts. But it was not a bad historical romance.

#19 - Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed (http://www.amazon.com/Wild-Found-Pac...wild+from+lost)
This is the non-fiction story of one woman's attempt to hike the length of California via the Pacific Crest Trail. She set out after a series of personal setbacks and disappointments, including the dissolution of her marriage and the death of her mother. I was surprised at how much this book kept my interest.
dismom301930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:09 AM   #1282
threeboysmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizluvah View Post
No worries! I think it was just a matter of my personal preference. Many of my book club members enjoyed the book. According to my Kindle, I made it 57% of the way into it before I stopped reading. I typically read a book in two or three days if I get into it and can't put it down. This book I read for a week week straight before bed and just could not get into it - I found it slow. I don't want to give away any plot lines by giving specifics but I did not agree with the decision the main characters made and giving the nature of their location - not much really happens for sections of the book. Most of my book club said it gets better. I own the ebook so I could finish it, but after the meeting I inevitably heard how it ended and just have zero desire to finish it.

It will certainly generate a great discussion within your book club, I bet.
I have this one on my summer read list. I'm looking forward to forming my own opinion of this one. Seems like it's a love or hate relationship, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizluvah View Post
Book 33 The Midwife: A Memoir of Birth, Joy, and Hard Times by Jennifer Worth

From goodreads: An unforgettable story of the joy of motherhood, the bravery of a community, and the hope of one extraordinary woman

FANTASTIC book - I gave it 5 stars (which I rarely do). This is a non-fiction book with such vivid descriptions and quirky characters - you feel like you are in London's East End after WWII. This is the book the series Call the Midwife is based on (Sundays PBS here in the states). I had never heard of the series or book before this was selected for book club and I groaned when I heard the selection - I did not want to read about midwifery....so glad I was so wrong!!! There is one story in the book I wish I could "unsee" because it was disturbing but not even that segment would deter me from recommending this book to every woman I know.
Thanks for the great review! I'm going to check this one out on Goodreads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginny Favers View Post
Have you read SHIFT? That's the "Sequel" to the Wool Series. I think each of them are in 5 parts. I agree the first 5 parts of Wool seemed like one book, but then I had no desire to read SHIFT afterwards!

And it is getting increasingly hard to find books that the author doesn't want to continue with past more than one book. I just realized that ALL of the books in the list above are series with more than one volume! And I have no desire to read the second volume of any of them. It's not that I didn't enjoy the book, it's that I didn't enjoy the book enough, I guess. Nothing has been like, "I MUST continue on and find out how this turns out!". I guess I don't care enough.
I didn't realize there was a sequel. Ugh, lol.

I'm getting to the point that I don't add books to my "to read" list if I find out they are part of a series. They have to have EXTRAORDINARY reviews to get put on my list, lol. I am so done with series books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dismom301930 View Post
Goal = 40

#19 - Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed (http://www.amazon.com/Wild-Found-Pac...wild+from+lost)
This is the non-fiction story of one woman's attempt to hike the length of California via the Pacific Crest Trail. She set out after a series of personal setbacks and disappointments, including the dissolution of her marriage and the death of her mother. I was surprised at how much this book kept my interest.
This one has been on my list for SO long. I keep it there because it keeps getting consistently great reviews, but just doesn't seem like my type of book since I'm NOT into hiking or anything outdoorsy for that matter...

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 A Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife,#16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know

Old 04-11-2013, 10:00 AM   #1283
willowsnn3
Tagless not by choice but by circumstance

Re: Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed

Quote:
This one has been on my list for SO long. I keep it there because it keeps getting consistently great reviews, but just doesn't seem like my type of book since I'm NOT into hiking or anything outdoorsy for that matter...
I rarely read non fiction, but this was a very good book!! More about the person coming to terms with her past than about hiking. I found it very interesting.

Book Challenge Goal 53/72

willowsnn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:14 AM   #1284
willowsnn3
Tagless not by choice but by circumstance

Goal 72

#25 The Birthing House by Christopher Ransom

Conrad & Joanna attempt to save their marriage by leaving the pressures of the city to start anew in a quiet rural setting. They buy a Victorian mansion that once served as a haven for unwed mothers.
Thus begins a story of possession, sexual obsession & ultimately murder.

To be blunt, this was just a stupid book, lol. I think the author must have started out with a good idea then started doing crack. Oh, wait, maybe it would have been better if he was smoking something, lol.
Do you ever wonder about the reviews on the back jacket of a book that are written by other authors??? The ones that rave about how good the book is??
I give this a minus 5 stars..

Book Challenge Goal 53/72

willowsnn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:02 PM   #1285
nemofans
DIS Veteran

Finished book #22- The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

This book was okay. A little different & interesting. 3.5 out of 5

It takes a graveyard to raise a child.
Nobody Owens, known as Bod, is a normal boy. He would be completely normal if he didn't live in a graveyard, being raised by ghosts, with a guardian who belongs to neither the world of the living nor the dead. There are adventures in the graveyard for a boyan ancient Indigo Man, a gateway to the abandoned city of ghouls, the strange and terrible Sleer. But if Bod leaves the graveyard, he will be in danger from the man Jackwho has already killed Bod's family.

Next book: The Light Between Oceans (for my book club)

I've been BOO'd!!

8/2000 Grosvenor Resort (got engaged!), 11/2005 DL PPH CL, 12/2006 Poly, 02/2008 AKL, 2/2010 CR CL, 2/2011 DCL Magic, 11/2011 DL GCH, 10/2012 AKL CL

2013 Book Challenge: 87 out of 75 GOAL MET!!
2014 Book Challenge: 49 out of 85
nemofans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:17 PM   #1286
keenercam
Wishes she were Mickey's girl
Would settle for looking like Tinkerbell instead of Winnie the Pooh

Eek! Can’t believe I haven’t been on this thread in more than 2 months. I have gone through phases of reading lots of books and then wading through the piles of free magazines that we receive each week. Here are my updates:

19/52 – The Wreck by Marie Force – Another interesting and suspenseful book by an author who has become one of my favorites.

20/52 – Georgia on My Mind – Fun, sexy romance with an absolutely adorable, quirky, sexy male lead and an endearing female lead.

21/52 – The Wedding Gift
22/52 – The Wedding Dance
23/52 – The Wedding Song

##21-23 are all by Lucy Kevin. I thought they’d be similar to the Bride Quartet by Nora Roberts, but let’s face it – it’s hard for other authors to live up to that standard. LOL!!! Even so, this was a nice series with well developed characters, with stories revolving around a beautiful wedding venue.

24/52 – Close to You (A Laurel Heights novel) –by Kate Perry. Light read. Fun. Part of a series. I got it free on Kindle and then bought another in the series for $.99, and enjoyed it too, but probably will read some other stuff before reading any more of this series.

25/52 – Noah (5th Street #1) by Elizabeth Reyes – Another Kindle freebie. Had some sweet, romantic parts; revolves around a boxing gym. In particular this is a May/December romance where the woman is older.

26/52 – Return to You (A Laurel Heights novel) by Kate Perry. Another in the series. Nice story. Likeable characters with satisfying continuity from the earlier book.

27/52 – Off Sides by Sawyer Bennett - This is a YA romance involving college-aged characters. The story line was interesting and the characters were really likeable. I’d definitely read other books by this author.

28/52 – Save Me (novella) by Liz Appel – Not much substance, maybe due to the length. Just okay, but I might give this author another try at some point.

29/52 – Hoping for Love (The McCarthys of Gansett Island, book 5) by Marie Force – I really like this author. And I really like series where you get to know the characters better as their lives progress through successive stories.

30/52 – The Frog Prince (A Romantic Comedy) by Elle Lothlorien – I wasn’t sure about this based on the description, but it was a wonderful, fun and funny story and romantic (but not trashy).

31/52 – The Shoemaker’s Wife by Adriana Trigiani – LOVED this. The story begins in the mountains in Italy and follows the lives of two characters from childhood through adulthood. There is so much rich description of beautiful places in Italy (my heritage) and Little Italy in Brooklyn, NY (where my father arrived when he immigrated from Naples, Italy and where I spent the first couple years of my life). I’d give this one 5 stars.

32/52- Full Circle by Mona Ingram – Another wonderful Kindle freebie that will get me reading other books by this author.

33/52 – Come a Little Closer (the Sullivans series) by Bella Andre – LOVE this series. LOVE this author. Wonderfully developed characters in heartwarming romantic stories.

34/52 – Always On My Mind (the Sullivans series) by Bella Andre – Have I mentioned that I love this series and love this author? I usually read them as soon as they are released; not sure how I missed one and had two to read back-to-back, but it meant a few days of reading bliss in Sullivan-land.

35/52 – Across the Creek (Jesse & Sarah) by Jeremy Asher – Good story with wonderful characters. Kindle freebie in advance of the sequel’s publication. Enjoyed it and will buy the sequel.

36/52 – Living by Ear by Mary Rowen – Some of it was good. Some of it was okay. The ending was “meh”.

37/52 – The Parent Pact by Laurie Kellogg – Kindle freebie. Okay, but predictable.

(uncounted) – Tempting Fate by Lisa Mondello – For some reason, this one didn’t sustain my interest and I abandoned it at about a third of the way through. Maybe I’ll go back to it at some point, but for now, I’m not even counting it as read.

38/52 – Cop of the Year by Kathryn Shay – I usually read very contemporary stories but this one takes place in the late 90s and it is interesting to see how certain story lines might have turned out differently with the benefit of some of today’s technologies. The story was wonderful about a high school teacher who teaches at-risk kids and a police officer who is a Vietnam veteran. I’d definitely read more by this author.

I have lots of fun books loaded to my Kindle for an upcoming vacation. The challenge is to not read them before I head to the airport in 8 days. LOL! I am currently reading the first of the two "Valentina" books by Adriana Trigiani, so I think those may keep me busy (besides packing).

Last edited by keenercam; 04-11-2013 at 04:10 PM.
keenercam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:30 PM   #1287
dizluvah
DIS Veteran

Quote:
This is not a book I would have ever chosen for myself but really enjoyed. I gave it 4 stars on goodreads. Like you threeboysmom I an not an outdoorsy type and don't plan on hiking anytime...ever

Re: Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed
Old 04-11-2013, 02:49 PM   #1288
threeboysmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowsnn3 View Post
Goal 72

#25 The Birthing House by Christopher Ransom

To be blunt, this was just a stupid book, lol. I think the author must have started out with a good idea then started doing crack. Oh, wait, maybe it would have been better if he was smoking something, lol.
Do you ever wonder about the reviews on the back jacket of a book that are written by other authors??? The ones that rave about how good the book is??
I give this a minus 5 stars..
Your review totally cracked me up!

Old 04-11-2013, 02:53 PM   #1289
threeboysmom

Finished #13 out of 50 (gosh, I'm behind now that I've upped my goal!)

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

No summary needed, I'm sure. I think this was my favorite of all the Potter books so far. Definitely taking a turn down the dark side now. I'll probably get back to this series and finish out #6 and #7 next fall or winter. I can't do back-to-back books like some of you.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:42 PM   #1290
dismom301930
Mouseketeer

Goal = 40

Book #19 - Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
I have been reading this to my DD8 at night....we started in January and finished last night! It's a long one!

I am almost halfway to my goal and it is only April! I think I need to increase my goal to 50 if possible. Thanks!
dismom301930 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: