Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2013, 07:09 AM   #1261
willowsnn3
Tagless not by choice but by circumstance

Goal 72

#24 Divergent by Veronica Roth

This one has been reviewed several times so I'll just give my thoughts on it..
It was a quick easy read but after reading so many YA dystopian books lately it was pretty easy to guess where the story was going. Seems like all the series have several different societies living around each other and then the main character comes in as a teenager and stirs things up in all of the societies, lol.
I give this one maybe 3 stars and will try to read the rest of the series but it doesn't seem like anything to rush right out and get.....

Book Challenge Goal 86/72

willowsnn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:12 AM   #1262
willowsnn3
Tagless not by choice but by circumstance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimnoid View Post
Goal = 75

39. Last to Die--Tess Gerritsen

This is the latest of the Rizzoli/Isles series. I liked it. In this series you really need to read them in order because she carries over characters and plot lines from book to book. This one had a lot of the previous book in it and also some characters from farther back. It was a little different than the typical "somebody is murdered and now we solve it".
I read all this series last year & enjoyed it. How did I not know it was made into a tv series???

Oooops, brain fog....wrong series, lol. I read the "To Die" series by Lisa Jackson. Afraid to Die, Left to Die, Born to Die etc....the characters were Pescoli/Alvarez & was not made into a tv series, lol.

Book Challenge Goal 86/72

Last edited by willowsnn3; 04-07-2013 at 07:19 AM.
willowsnn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-07-2013, 07:29 AM   #1263
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

Goal 25 books

#7 Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Again, I don't think it really needs a summary.

My #7 was supposed to be a Sookie Stackhouse book but who am I kidding? I'm in a H.P. mood. I just started Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne, #15- Monument 14: Sky on Fire Emmy Laybourne, #16- The Magicians Lev Grossman, #17, #18, #19- The Strain Trilogy Guillermo Del Toro, #20- A Discovery of Witches Deborah Harkness, #21- Postmortem Patricia Cornwell, #22- The Darkest Minds Alexandra Bracken, #23- The Heist Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg, #24- The Town Bentley Little, #25- The Chase Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg, #26- Relic Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child
Soldier's*Sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:11 PM   #1264
nemofans
DIS Veteran

Book #21: Into The Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes

Good book. Quick read. I could relate to her somewhat w/her OCD, like checking the locks, etc. I am a very anxious person & I do check locks through out the day. Not multiple times like her, but I can't go to bed until I do check. I can completely understand why she was like that b/c I also think if I don't, I won't be safe & I didn't have a traumatic experience.

When young, pretty Catherine Bailey meets Lee Brightman, she can't believeher luck. Gorgeous, charismatic, and a bit mysterious, Lee seems almost tooperfect to be true.
But what begins as flattering attention and spontaneous, passionate sextransforms into raging jealousy, and Catherine soon discovers that Lee's dazzlingblue eyes and blond good looks hide a dark, violent nature. Disturbed by his increasingly erratic, controlling behavior, she tries to break it off. Increasingly isolated and driven into the darkest corner of her world, a desperate Catherine plans a meticulous escape.
Four years later, Lee is behind bars and Catherine—now Cathy—is trying to build a new life in a new city. Though her body has healed, the trauma ofthe past still haunts her. Then Stuart Richardson, her attractive new neighbor,moves in. Encouraging her to confront her fears, he sparks unexpected hope and the possibility of love and a normal life.
Until the day the phone rings . . .

Next Book: The Graveyard Book

8/2000 WDW Grosvenor Resort (got engaged!), 11/2005 DL PPH CL, 12/2006 WDW Poly, 02/2008 WDW AKL, 2/2010 WDW CR CL, 2/2011 DCL Magic, 11/2011 DL GCH, 10/2012 WDW AKL CL

2013 Book Challenge: 87 out of 75 GOAL MET!!
2014 Book Challenge: 92 out of 85 GOAL MET!!
nemofans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:53 PM   #1265
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

Currently reading Book #25-Death by Drowning (author's name is Abigail-last name begins with K). Usually you can read a series out of order, but not this one! I feel like I jumped into the middle of a story and I kept thinking my Kindle had accidentally jumped a bunch of pages on me.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:44 AM   #1266
KrazyPete
skeleton

Goal - 24 books

Book #5 - Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis - This a reread of book that I found to be tremendously helpful when I first read it twenty years ago. It was nice to return to it with a little more life experience. It's not perfect but I'm certain that if you read it with an open mind and heart you will find valuable, practical insights that you can apply in your life.

Next up - Defending Jacob by William Landay - I've been told that I have to read this book. The library is telling me that I can only have the eBook copy for one week. Challenge accepted!
KrazyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:44 AM   #1267
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glynis View Post
Goal - 50 books (But I really need to up it to 100, please!)
You've asked for it, you've got it! 100 books! My hat's off to you!

I'm going to up my challenge too to 50 books. I'm already at 12 or 13... so this will give me a real push to make it. I just have too many books that I'm dying to read to stop at just 30 books. Not sure if 50 is doable, but I'm going for it! Go 50!

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife, #16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker, #26 Rainshadow Road, #27 The Art of Hearing Heartbeats, #28 Little Bee, #29 The Art Forger, #30 One Plus One, #31 Double Whammy, #32 The Girl You Left Behind, #33 Orphan Train, #34 Big Little Lies, #35 The Good Girl, #36 The Girl with All the Gifts, #37 Outlander, #38 Lucid, #39 You, #40 Dragonfly in Amber

Currently reading: #41 Voyager

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:09 PM   #1268
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

Goal: 52 books this year

#24 down and done.

The Five Kisses by Karla Darcy is a Jane Austen-type short book following the story of Gillian Foster, the daughter of the local tutor hired to educate the boys of the local landed gentry. She is a playmate of the son of the Eighth Earl of Elmore, Lord Chadwick Kendale. If you are at all familiar with Regency Romances, you know where this is going, but it's a cute little story nonetheless. If you've read my previous posts, you know my favorite genre is murder and mayhem, death and destruction. I read these little stories to bring me back from the dark side (LOL).

Queen Colleen
PigletsPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:35 AM   #1269
WowLookAtThat
DIS Veteran

Book # 29 Fried Green Tomatoes by Fannie Flagg

Review: The book was entertaining and even though the story seems simple at first, the author brought up a lot of touchy issues such as lesbianism, racism, aging and death. Middle-aged, overweight and insecure Evelyn Couch meets Ninny Threadgoode at a senior home. Ninny begins to tell a story about the Whistle Stop Cafe and the two owners, Idgie and Ruth. Of course those who have seen the movie need no introduction to the premise but the book is a lot more than that and introduces more characters and plots.

What I found interesting is the way that Flagg was straightforward about certain things which is admirable yet the author didn't harp on issues. She just let the stories tell themselves and wrote in such a simple way. The women in Fried Green Tomatoes are strong, beautiful and realistic but it is the adventurous Idgie and surprisingly enough Evelyn who really stole the show. Evelyn changes from this frumpy woman to someone who is beginning to come comfortable with herself and that was great to read.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:12 AM   #1270
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Book #11 completed. Sisters by Patricia MacDonald

I'd give it a 3 out of 5. Just so-so. This book had no reviews on Amazon when I got it from the library so I'll be anxious to see what other think of it as more people read it.

Abby Woods was an only child of two loving parents who died in an accident. Shortly after their deaths, she was given a letter from her mother by the family attorney. The letter stated that, in high school, Abby's mother had a baby and gave it up for adoption. She had no clues as to where the child was placed but thought Abby should know she had a sibling out there somewhere.

Abby asks the lawyer to investigate and he quickly finds her sister, Dory Colson, and she is in jail--convicted of brutally stabbing her adoptive sister to death.

But, there's a technicality and Dory is able to be released from jail for mishandling of her original trial and Abby is the only one to take her. Things get weird after that. Dory's not very nice and exhibits jealousy toward her newfound sister. A violent turn of events takes place and the book ends up being a psychological type "whodunit."

It was just okay. The writing was sort of mediocre as was some of the dialogue.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:32 AM   #1271
stacy347
I carried a watermelon?

Goal 45
Book #16
Promise You Won't Tell? by John Locke

This one revolves around a young girl who hires a PI to investigate whether she was drugged/assaulted at a sleepover.
I did see the ending coming, but not exactly how it played out, so I'll give it a 3.5 out of 5.

Book #17
An Apple for the Creature

This was a collection of short stories by authors in the supernatural genre.
A few were worth reading, but I was disappointed in the majority. Glad this was just a library book.
May 16-22, 2010 Seralago Resort ~ so much fun!
June 17-23, 2012 Regal Palms ~ loved it!
Oct. 4, 2012 Disney on Ice: Rockin' Ever After
stacy347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:33 AM   #1272
dizluvah
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggrbaby View Post
Uh, oh, my book club is reading The Light Between Oceans next month! What didn't you like about it?
No worries! I think it was just a matter of my personal preference. Many of my book club members enjoyed the book. According to my Kindle, I made it 57% of the way into it before I stopped reading. I typically read a book in two or three days if I get into it and can't put it down. This book I read for a week week straight before bed and just could not get into it - I found it slow. I don't want to give away any plot lines by giving specifics but I did not agree with the decision the main characters made and giving the nature of their location - not much really happens for sections of the book. Most of my book club said it gets better. I own the ebook so I could finish it, but after the meeting I inevitably heard how it ended and just have zero desire to finish it.

It will certainly generate a great discussion within your book club, I bet.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:50 AM   #1273
dizluvah
DIS Veteran

Book 33 The Midwife: A Memoir of Birth, Joy, and Hard Times by Jennifer Worth

From goodreads: An unforgettable story of the joy of motherhood, the bravery of a community, and the hope of one extraordinary woman

At the age of twenty-two, Jennifer Worth leaves her comfortable home to move into a convent and become a midwife in post war London's East End slums. The colorful characters she meets while delivering babies all over London-from the plucky, warm-hearted nuns with whom she lives to the woman with twenty-four children who can't speak English to the prostitutes and dockers of the city's seedier side-illuminate a fascinating time in history. Beautifully written and utterly moving, The Midwife will touch the hearts of anyone who is, and everyone who has, a mother.

FANTASTIC book - I gave it 5 stars (which I rarely do). This is a non-fiction book with such vivid descriptions and quirky characters - you feel like you are in London's East End after WWII. This is the book the series Call the Midwife is based on (Sundays PBS here in the states). I had never heard of the series or book before this was selected for book club and I groaned when I heard the selection - I did not want to read about midwifery....so glad I was so wrong!!! There is one story in the book I wish I could "unsee" because it was disturbing but not even that segment would deter me from recommending this book to every woman I know.

Last edited by dizluvah; 04-10-2013 at 09:55 AM. Reason: WWII not, I
dizluvah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:32 PM   #1274
portia9
DIS Veteran

It's been nearly a month since I logged my books here. And sadly not a lot read for me.

Goal 100

#41. Charlotte Collins A Continuation of Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice by Jennifer Becton-not bad for fan fiction
#42. Snodgrass Vacation by Dave Conifer-has been reviewed here.
#43. Europe Through The Back Door by Rick Steves-I may be travelling to Europe next year with my Mum!
#44. Northern Lights by Catherine Winchester-North and South by Gaskell fanfic. Was ok overall but seemed to end really suddenly.

No idea what is next. I have lots on my kindle ready to go.

2013 Reading Challenge. Goal 100. Read 149.
2014 Reading Challenge. Goal 100. Read 115.

2014 Top 3

The Collected Works of A.J.Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin
The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion
Speaking From Among The Bones by Alan Bradley

portia9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:35 PM   #1275
portia9
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizluvah View Post
Book 33 The Midwife: A Memoir of Birth, Joy, and Hard Times by Jennifer Worth

From goodreads: An unforgettable story of the joy of motherhood, the bravery of a community, and the hope of one extraordinary woman

At the age of twenty-two, Jennifer Worth leaves her comfortable home to move into a convent and become a midwife in post war London's East End slums. The colorful characters she meets while delivering babies all over London-from the plucky, warm-hearted nuns with whom she lives to the woman with twenty-four children who can't speak English to the prostitutes and dockers of the city's seedier side-illuminate a fascinating time in history. Beautifully written and utterly moving, The Midwife will touch the hearts of anyone who is, and everyone who has, a mother.

FANTASTIC book - I gave it 5 stars (which I rarely do). This is a non-fiction book with such vivid descriptions and quirky characters - you feel like you are in London's East End after WWII. This is the book the series Call the Midwife is based on (Sundays PBS here in the states). I had never heard of the series or book before this was selected for book club and I groaned when I heard the selection - I did not want to read about midwifery....so glad I was so wrong!!! There is one story in the book I wish I could "unsee" because it was disturbing but not even that segment would deter me from recommending this book to every woman I know.
Downloaded to kindle! I haven't seen the Call the Midwife series but everyone raves about it. I am really interested in midwifery too.

This thread is costing me money!

2013 Reading Challenge. Goal 100. Read 149.
2014 Reading Challenge. Goal 100. Read 115.

2014 Top 3

The Collected Works of A.J.Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin
The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion
Speaking From Among The Bones by Alan Bradley

portia9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: