Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 08:00 PM   #1231
3smithboys
DIS Veteran

Book # 13 - I read this yesterday for school. It's an older book, but it's a great one - we are using it as a 6th grade novel now.

Freak the Mighty by Rodman Philbrick
3smithboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:15 PM   #1232
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

Quote:
Originally Posted by WowLookAtThat View Post
Book #27 The Giving Quilt by Jennifer Chiaverini

Review: I have to admit that I do like the 'Elm Creek Quilts series. The premise of the series is Sylvia Bergstrom arrives back to her home after a nasty fall out with her sister decades ago. Her sister has died and the family manor with its wide acres is in disrepair and Sylvia is at risk of losing everything. With the help of her friends, Sylvia fixes the place up and reopens Elm Creek as a quilting retreat. Every summer, guests arrive to learn new forms of quilting. It is kind of a quilting summer camp. The book series have formed to tell the stories of not only Sylvia and her friend but also the teachers and the guests who arrive. There are also a lot of quilting tips (not a quilter myself I do find the descriptions interesting)

OK so the Giving Quilt is about an event called Quiltsgiving in which guests arrive to the Manor for free and create quilts to give away to charity. The guests in this story, Michaela, Karen, Paulette,Linnea and Jocelyn. Each of the stories are engaging but my only complaint is that the author's political views come into the story a lot. I have nothing against that but it does take away a little bit from the story. I wouldn't suggest this book without reading some of the Elm Creek books to get a good idea about the series.
If you like Jennifer Chiaverini's style of writing, you may enjoy Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker. I reviewed it a few posts back, and I enjoyed it very much, especially since I had recently seen the movie Lincoln.

Queen Colleen
PigletsPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-01-2013, 10:00 PM   #1233
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Book 14 only you Sierra

Sierra was nervous about the future. She had always been the bold, free-spirited type. But then, her whole foundation of home and family had never before been rocked.

Sierra Jensen settled back into her seat and gazed through the train window at the English countryside. So much was on her mind, and her heart was flooded with emotions. She hoped the friendships she had made with Katie and Christy this past week during the Europe missions trip would last forever.

She dreaded the flight back to the State, knowing that everything would be completely different when she returned home. While in England, Sierra's family had moved to a different state. She hated the thought of going to a new high school in the middle of her junior year, where everybody already had their cliques and boyfriends. The prospect of another dateless year made her heart sink.

She wondered if she'd ever find love, and then in a London airport, she met Paul. Her heart, which had sunk so low, leapt! But of course, it was just a chance meeting-wasn't it? She would never see him again-would she?

I loved it, it was a great spin off from the Christy miller series that I could not put down

Last edited by tinkerbellandeeyor; 04-04-2013 at 01:14 PM.
tinkerbellandeeyor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:14 PM   #1234
CaliBear
DIS Veteran

Goal 40, book 7: Birds of a Lesser Paradise by Megan Mayhew Bergman

Here is the summary from Amazon:
Quote:
Exploring the way our choices and relationships are shaped by the menace and beauty of the natural world, Megan Mayhew Bergman’s powerful and heartwarming collection captures the surprising moments when the pull of our biology becomes evident, when love or fear collides with good sense, or when our attachment to an animal or wild place can’t be denied.

In “Housewifely Arts,” a single mother and her son drive hours to track down an African gray parrot that can mimic her deceased mother’s voice. A population-control activist faces the conflict between her loyalty to the environment and her maternal desire in “Yesterday’s Whales.” And in the title story, a lonely naturalist allows an attractive stranger to lead her and her aging father on a hunt for an elusive woodpecker.

As intelligent as they are moving, the stories in Birds of a Lesser Paradise are alive with emotion, wit, and insight into the impressive power that nature has over all of us. This extraordinary collection introduces a young writer of remarkable talent.
I rarely read short story collections, and I read this book for the wrong reasons. I somehow got it into my head that the stories were narrated by birds. Why did I think this? I have no idea, and at first I thought I had made a huge mistake choosing this book as the first three stories, including the titular one, were really boring. But I started to like them after a dull start and then the last three were also kind of boring. A few stories I liked were:

"Saving Face"- a formerly beautiful veterinarian copes with a disfiguring attack from a patient
"Yesterday's Whales"- an activist for population control realizes she's pregnant and her feelings are more conflicted than she expected them to be
"Another Story She Won't Believe"- A recovering alcoholic is called upon to single-handedly save lemurs from an unexpected frost.

I would give it 3 stars.

Next up is either Gone Girl or The Night Circus. I'll decide tomorrow.
Resort stays: DLR Grand Californian Jan 2011, HKDL Hollywood Hotel July 2011, WDW Wilderness Lodge Jan 2012, DLR Paradise Pier and MNSSHP Oct 2012, AKL Jan 2013, HKDL Hotel and Halloween party Oct 2013

2014 Book Challenge 19/30 read
1. David and Goliath 2. The Eye of the World 3. A Firing Offense 4. Fire from Heaven 5. The Gordonston Ladies Dog Walking Club 6. Orphan Train 7. A Most Peculiar Malaysian Murder 8. The Rosie Project 9. The New Centurions 10. The Black Echo 11. The Hall of Elders Crossing 12. Secrets of the Tudor Court 13. Al Capp 14. The Witch Doctor's Wife 15. The Headhunter's Daughter 16. The Yard 17. The Dinner 18. The Magicians 19. The All-Girls Filling Station's Last Reunion 20. The Golem and the Jinni

Currently reading: The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz
CaliBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:30 PM   #1235
nemofans
DIS Veteran

Finished book #19: One Second After by William Forstchen

This book is good at scaring you into going to the store, buying supplies & food just in case, especially w/a Foreword from Newt that says this will probably happen to us some day. Those who have read Under The Dome will see some similarities about a community trying to survive, but this situation could happen. I really hope our government is figuring ways to prevent or survive an attack like this.

New York Times best selling author William R. Forstchen now brings us a story which can be all too terrifyingly real...a story in which one man struggles to save his family and his small North Carolina town after America loses a war, in one second, a war that will send America back to the Dark Ages...A war based upon a weapon, an Electro Magnetic Pulse (EMP). A weapon that may already be in the hands of our enemies.

Next book: Into the Darkest Corner

I've been BOO'd!!

8/2000 Grosvenor Resort (got engaged!), 11/2005 DL PPH CL, 12/2006 Poly, 02/2008 AKL, 2/2010 CR CL, 2/2011 DCL Magic, 11/2011 DL GCH, 10/2012 AKL CL

2013 Book Challenge: 87 out of 75 GOAL MET!!
2014 Book Challenge: 49 out of 85
nemofans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:31 PM   #1236
WowLookAtThat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigletsPal2 View Post
If you like Jennifer Chiaverini's style of writing, you may enjoy Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker. I reviewed it a few posts back, and I enjoyed it very much, especially since I had recently seen the movie Lincoln.

Queen Colleen
Sounds good I'll put it on the reading-to do list!
Old 04-02-2013, 09:41 PM   #1237
Cogswel_Cogs
DIS Veteran

#4 Nightmare Affair
I really liked the book.I would give it 3.5 to 4 stars but its one of those books that I was so excited when I read the summarry.
It just that it seemed to work hard to almost not to break the mold of so many other books. Still I liked it.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:56 PM   #1238
funkychunkymonkey
DIS Veteran

THe vampire relationship guide
when night falls
RIP:
guiedo (guiena pig) bluebeard
funkychunkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:10 AM   #1239
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

#10 finished FINALLY. The Twelve by Justin Cronin

This is book #2 of The Passage trilogy. I read The Passage about 4 years ago I think. I liked it. I have forgotten most of it. While I liked The Twelve I really struggled at times because there are SO many characters and many of them have a history from the first book--a history that was only cobwebs in mind!!! I'd give this book a 3 out of 5. A solid read, an interesting story line but didn't knock my socks off.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:08 AM   #1240
KimR
DIS Veteran
Needs to lay off the Murder Mysteries before Dental Appointments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
#10 finished FINALLY. The Twelve by Justin Cronin

This is book #2 of The Passage trilogy. I read The Passage about 4 years ago I think. I liked it. I have forgotten most of it. While I liked The Twelve I really struggled at times because there are SO many characters and many of them have a history from the first book--a history that was only cobwebs in mind!!! I'd give this book a 3 out of 5. A solid read, an interesting story line but didn't knock my socks off.
This is why I've been sitting on The Passage for about a year now. I want to wait until the 3rd book comes out next year and read them all back to back.

Right now I'm reading 'The House at Riverton' by Kate Morton. I'm enjoying it although not as much as 'The Hidden Garden'. I have two more of books of hers to look forward to after this one.

2000 - GF; 2000 - BC; 03 - GF; 04 - YC; 05 - GF; 06, 07 - YC; 08 - GF; 09, 10 - YC; 12 - YC

Just the basics:
Are two-year-olds too young to go to Disney? It depends upon their temperament. One way to find out: take them there. After all, they're only young for a short time. You're sure to enjoy your trip if you plan ahead! AND - don't forget those all-important dining reservations; they fill up so fast it's ridiculous. Have I forgotten anything? Oh yes - I'd advise you to carry a small purse or bag for loose items so you don't lose them on rides. You'll have a great vacation if you follow my advice!
KimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:20 PM   #1241
willowsnn3
Tagless not by choice but by circumstance

Goal 72

#23 Frenzy by Robert Liparulo

Sigh, the fifth and final book in the Dreamhouse Kings series. These are YA books and are very easy/quick reads but very interesting. Basically the books are about the King family who move into a huge house with a third floor that has many rooms that lead to other times and places. But the same room doesn't open to the same time/world every time. Great books.

Book Challenge Goal 54/72

willowsnn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:42 PM   #1242
zippitydoo
DIS Veteran

Book 16 of 30

Anne’s House of Dreams by Lucy Maud Montgomery

2014 Book Challenge
Completed 40 of 50:
A Shade of Blood, A Castle of Sand, Takedown Twenty, Louisiana Longshot, Dirty Little Secrets, The One You Love, The One You Fear, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, A Shadow of Light, Hollow City, Room, The Barkeep, A Blaze of Sun, I Think I Love You, Broken, Body Movers, A Gate of Night, Trudge, Soldier On, In Harm’s Way, A Pound of Flesh, Taboo, Hide and Seek, Daddy’s Home, Weddings Can Be Murder, The Undead Heart, Moving Day, Monument 14, Sky on Fire, Savage Drift, NOS4A2, Her Last Breath, One Lavender Ribbon, Innocent in Las Vegas
zippitydoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:14 PM   #1243
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovin'fl View Post
Just finished #1- Lone Wolf by Jodi Picoult and OMG it was painful to finish. The wolf stuff was beyond ridiculous and her characters are so self centered and all 'wha wha, poor me, I was so wronged'. Blech! Now on to the book DH got me for Xmas- The 12 Tribes of Hattie.
Read #2- Thirteen Reasons Why- easy read, but the things Hannah went through were no reason to do what she did IMO and the tapes getting passed around w/out any adult or police discovering them (and to get passed around each person had to listen...not sure that would really happen...would think someone would dump the tapes in the trash...and Clay's reaction seemed extreme).

and #3- Gone Girl- easy read, interesting and suspenseful-ish...she was one crazy wackadoo.

So, they were ok...Gone Girl was definitely better than Thirteen Reasons Why and they were both better than Lone Wolf.

I am about to start The Dovekeepers...we'll see if I can finish it (I hear it may be a tough read...overly poetic). Keeping with my goal of 12...1 per month.
lovin'fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:25 PM   #1244
Caseheidi
DIS Veteran

Book 23 of 100 - Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Summary from Goodreads:
In order to develop a secure defense against a hostile alien race's next attack, government agencies breed child geniuses and train them as soldiers. A brilliant young boy, Andrew "Ender" Wiggin lives with his kind but distant parents, his sadistic brother Peter, and the person he loves more than anyone else, his sister Valentine. Peter and Valentine were candidates for the soldier-training program but didn't make the cut—young Ender is the Wiggin drafted to the orbiting Battle School for rigorous military training.

Ender's skills make him a leader in school and respected in the Battle Room, where children play at mock battles in zero gravity. Yet growing up in an artificial community of young soldiers Ender suffers greatly from isolation, rivalry from his peers, pressure from the adult teachers, and an unsettling fear of the alien invaders. His psychological battles include loneliness, fear that he is becoming like the cruel brother he remembers, and fanning the flames of devotion to his beloved sister.

Is Ender the general Earth needs? But Ender is not the only result of the genetic experiments. The war with the Buggers has been raging for a hundred years, and the quest for the perfect general has been underway for almost as long. Ender's two older siblings are every bit as unusual as he is, but in very different ways. Between the three of them lie the abilities to remake a world. If, that is, the world survives.
Ender's Game is the winner of the 1985 Nebula Award for Best Novel and the 1986 Hugo Award for Best Novel.

I really enjoyed this book. It is a little intense in places, and was very hard to put down. Very thought provoking as well.

DLR - Aug 1980, Aug 1985, May 1988, April 2002, Dec 2002, Dec 2004, Oct 2012

WDW - July/Aug 2001 (Honeymoon!), Oct 2004, Sept 2005, May 2006, Dec 2007, Dec 2008, Oct 2011
Caseheidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:13 PM   #1245
dizluvah
DIS Veteran

I didn't finish two books, The Art of Racing in the Rain and The Light Between Oceans...so I moved on to others:

Book 30 The Perfect Hope by Nora Roberts

Book 31 A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness

Book 32 Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver

Up next (my book club selections) The Midwife: A Memoir of Birth, Joy, and Hard Times by Jennifer Worth and The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: