Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2013, 08:38 AM   #1216
Cogswel_Cogs
DIS Veteran

If anyone with Kindle is interested, I am willing to give a couple kindle versions of Cemetery Girl or Three Twigs for the Campfire away on monday.
Just let me me know.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:49 AM   #1217
willowsnn3
Tagless not by choice but by circumstance

Goal 72

#22 Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn

Liked this one much better than Gone Girl altho I put off reading it due to the initial subject matter that I thought would not appeal to me in a book. But then with the 'other' story line it worked out that I enjoyed the book. Maybe give it 3 & 1/2 stars.....

Book Challenge Goal 72/72

willowsnn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-31-2013, 11:39 AM   #1218
nemofans
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowsnn3 View Post
Goal 72

Liked this one much better than Gone Girl altho I put off reading it due to the initial subject matter that I thought would not appeal to me in a book. But then with the 'other' story line it worked out that I enjoyed the book. Maybe give it 3 & 1/2 stars.....
Yes, I agree. I liked this better than Gone Girl too.

8/2000 Grosvenor Resort (got engaged!), 11/2005 DL PPH CL, 12/2006 Poly, 02/2008 AKL, 2/2010 CR CL, 2/2011 DCL Magic, 11/2011 DL GCH, 10/2012 AKL CL

2013 Book Challenge: 87 out of 75 GOAL MET!!
2014 Book Challenge: 77 out of 85
nemofans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:35 PM   #1219
StephMK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeboysmom View Post
Just finished #12 last night:

Rush Home Road by Lori Lansens

What a beautiful, poignant story! This book had been on my "to read" book list for a year. Why the heck did I want so long???

Book has a moving plotline and memorable characters. Five year old Sharla, not wanted by her own mother, gets sent to live with an old neighbor woman, Addie Shadd. The two form a strong bond and impact each other's lives. I've been reading a lot of books lately that switch back & forth from present to past, and this is another one of those. Not really a fan of that format, but it doesn't detract from the storyline at all; in fact, towards the end, it enhances it greatly as that line between the two timelines begins to blur.

Next up: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix! I am determined to finish this series, lol.
Good to hear! That's on my list but I think I want to save it for this summer. I'm not a fan of that format either but will read them if the story is worth it. Looking forward to this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3smithboys View Post
Finished books 11 and 12

# 11- Private Berlin by James Patterson and Mark Sullivan - This is part of the Private series - I really liked this one. You don't have to read the entire series to understand this book.

# 12 - Legend by Marie Lu - This is a YA book that several of my MS students have been reading so I thought I would keep up with what's new! It started off a little slow, but it picked up and was a pretty good book in the end. If you liked Hunger Games...it's in that genre...
Thanks for that recommendation on Legend. I will look for that for all of us to read. All of my kids have read the HG series. DS ran through them and could not put them down! I still need to read it but broke tradition and saw the movie first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogswel_Cogs View Post
If anyone with Kindle is interested, I am willing to give a couple kindle versions of Cemetery Girl or Three Twigs for the Campfire away on monday.
Just let me me know.
I'd love to read either one - are you the author for Campfire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowsnn3 View Post
Goal 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemofans View Post
Yes, I agree. I liked this better than Gone Girl too.
Thanks! I put that on my wish list at the library. There's a long hold list on it and I LOVED Gone Girl.

Thanks so much for this thread OP and thanks to all posting on it. I adore reading and it has been so much fun to have a way to share and find new books to read. I had gotten away from it the last few years due to school and being busy so it's been wonderful to pick it back up again!
Old 03-31-2013, 01:45 PM   #1220
3smithboys
DIS Veteran

StephMK, I'm not sure how old your kids are, but Divergent and Insurgent are supposed to be in the same genre as HG as well. They are a bit more YA though. My 8th grade son just finished Divergent and LOVED it, and it's hard to get him away from the xbox! I still have not read either... (he took Divergent while I read Legend)

I know the Librarian was stopping students who were younger than 8th grade from buying Divergent/Insurgent at our book fair without their parents because they are supposed to be for a "older" audience.
3smithboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:47 PM   #1221
StephMK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3smithboys View Post
StephMK, I'm not sure how old your kids are, but Divergent and Insurgent are supposed to be in the same genre as HG as well. They are a bit more YA though. My 8th grade son just finished Divergent and LOVED it, and it's hard to get him away from the xbox! I still have not read either... (he took Divergent while I read Legend)

I know the Librarian was stopping students who were younger than 8th grade from buying Divergent/Insurgent at our book fair without their parents because they are supposed to be for a "older" audience.
Thanks! They are 6th & 7th grade. I'll check into it. DS is a huge xbox player too so it's always good to get him into a long book!
Old 03-31-2013, 07:38 PM   #1222
tiggrbaby
We must work harder to stay under the radar for this oneWe always bring our own inflatable noodle

Quote:
Originally Posted by WowLookAtThat View Post
Book #25 War Brides by Helen Bryan

Review: I got this one for free and usually I don't expect much from the free kindle books (I just got a new one after an accident with the last Kindle) but War Brides wasn't so bad. I did find some of the phrasing the author used to be a bit off and some parts of the story is rushed but all in all I did like this one. There are some editing issues in the Kindle version. The story is engaging and always changing.

The book is about five women who live in a small town in England during WWII. Elsie, Tanni,Evangeline, Alice and Frances face difficulties such as rations, husbands leaving for the war and their own personal struggles. The women are independent and diligent in the war effort. However, this book is described as a romance novel but I didn't see it that way. There are romances in the story but I felt it was in the back round and it is really the story of the five women that is more prevalent.
I totally suggest it!
You talked me into it! Borrowing it on my Kindle Prime!

DISboards 2104 Book Challenge: 36/40
DISboards 2013 Book Challenge: 36/35
tiggrbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:45 PM   #1223
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

Currently reading book #23, "Water for Elephants". It seems like I'm probably the only person in America who hasn't already read it. So far, I like it, but I haven't yet decided it's super-dooper. But it seems I'll be happy I read it.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:50 PM   #1224
tiggrbaby
We must work harder to stay under the radar for this oneWe always bring our own inflatable noodle

We were on vacation last week, so I got a bit of reading in:

#8: Harbor Ice by K.D. Mason
A mystery that I found to just be meh.

#9: A Painted House by John Grisham
Not one of his courtroom dramas, but very enjoyable. A young boy in 1950's Arkansas experiences many secrets and life changes one cotton season.

#10: The Dark Monk by Oliver Potzsch
This is the second book in The Hangman's Daughter series. It is a mystery that takes place in Bavaria in the 1600s. This one had them chasing clues to find a hidden Templar treasure.

DISboards 2104 Book Challenge: 36/40
DISboards 2013 Book Challenge: 36/35
tiggrbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:40 PM   #1225
Cogswel_Cogs
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=StephMK;47963899]

I'd love to read either one - are you the author for Campfire?

QUOTE]

I authored both books. I sent you a private message just respond letting me know which book you would prefer.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:57 PM   #1226
MollyMom
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeboysmom View Post

I may need to look this book up. I've been low carbing for the past several months and so have "accidentally" eliminated gluten from my diet (by accident, I mean I wasn't intentionally doing it, it's just a result of low carb). But WOW! I was suffering from moderate joint pain and it's ALL GONE!

I've added you both to the first post of this thread with your book goals.

Happy Reading!
Thanks for adding my book goals to the thread threeboysmom. (Now the pressure is on!) I have now finished 1 out of 12, so I'm on my way.

Re: your comment on joint pain. I've been off wheat for over a week now and I have to admit, I seem to be noticing the same thing: a less achy back and hips. I'm not ready to attribute it entirely to lack of wheat products, but we'll see. Even more importantly, I'm eating far less and not craving food all the time. It's great!
MollyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:06 PM   #1227
StephMK
DIS Veteran

#16 Caught - Harlan Coben. Here is the amazon summary -

Reporter Wendy Tynes is making a name for herself, bringing down sexual offenders on nationally televised sting operations. But when social worker Dan Mercer walks into her trap, Wendy gets thrown into a story more complicated than she could ever imagine. Dan is tied to the disappearance of a seventeen-year-old New Jersey girl, and the shocking consequences will have Wendy doubting her instincts about the motives of the people around her, while confronting the true nature of guilt, grief, and her own capacity for forgiveness.

It is definitely more complicated than just a pedophile case. There is a missing girl and conspiracy about something that happened in the past.

It was pretty good, I'd give it a 3. I can't put my finger on it but it didn't grab me like some other books I've read lately. It did tie things up well and had some twists along the way.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:23 PM   #1228
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it

My 17/50 was a YA book that I found so bad and preachy that I don't even want to name it. The author used it as a platform to talk about her stance on everything from organized religion to environmental issues. I wanted to rip the book into tiny pieces.

Now, I'm onto FALSE MEMORY by Dan Krokos. So far, so good.
Ginny Favers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:06 PM   #1229
WowLookAtThat
DIS Veteran

Book #27 The Giving Quilt by Jennifer Chiaverini

Review: I have to admit that I do like the 'Elm Creek Quilts series. The premise of the series is Sylvia Bergstrom arrives back to her home after a nasty fall out with her sister decades ago. Her sister has died and the family manor with its wide acres is in disrepair and Sylvia is at risk of losing everything. With the help of her friends, Sylvia fixes the place up and reopens Elm Creek as a quilting retreat. Every summer, guests arrive to learn new forms of quilting. It is kind of a quilting summer camp. The book series have formed to tell the stories of not only Sylvia and her friend but also the teachers and the guests who arrive. There are also a lot of quilting tips (not a quilter myself I do find the descriptions interesting)

OK so the Giving Quilt is about an event called Quiltsgiving in which guests arrive to the Manor for free and create quilts to give away to charity. The guests in this story, Michaela, Karen, Paulette,Linnea and Jocelyn. Each of the stories are engaging but my only complaint is that the author's political views come into the story a lot. I have nothing against that but it does take away a little bit from the story. I wouldn't suggest this book without reading some of the Elm Creek books to get a good idea about the series.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:51 PM   #1230
Swimnoid
DIS Veteran

Goal = 75

36. The Mayo Clinic Diabetes Diet by The Mayo Clinic
This is a very informative book emphasizing proper eating for the diabetic. The focus was not on eat this, this and this for meal #1, etc but more about proper healthy eating for the long run. It focuses on making 5 new good habits, breaking 5 bad habits and adopt 5 new good habits. It also gives very in depth information on food and nutrition.

37. The Apprentice by Tess Gerritsen
This is the 2nd book of the Rizzoli and Isles series. Isles is just introduced in this book and does not play a big role yet. Rizzoli is investigating another series of murders and again she is almost killed by the suspect. With her luck I think I would look for another line of work.

38. Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith
Usually when I read "vampire" in a book description I run the other way. But since they made a movie from it I thought let's see what the attraction is. I loved it! The book starts in Abe's childhood at the death of his mother and covers all the biographical high points of his life. But the author weaves in vampires into the whole thing and makes it sound reasonable!
Swimnoid is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: