Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2013, 10:25 PM   #1171
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Book 11

A time to cherish

An adventure-filled weekend sets the stage for some romantic times ahead. Love is in the air, and Christy is positive her senior year will be-
Christy Miller's school year promises to be full of exciting possibilities, especially now that Todd decides on a houseboat trip that he's ready to make a deeper commitment to their relationship. But Christy feels like her life is turned upside-down when her best friend, Katie, decides having a boyfriend is worth whatever price she has to pay. And just when things couldn't get worse, their good friend Doug becomes distant and withdrawn. What is happening to the happy friendships Christy used to have?

Juggling the stress of not having enough time with Todd, trying to understand Katie's relationship with Michael, and making Doug happy forces Christy to evaluate what's most important to her. Can Christy find a way to keep her friendship with Katie even though they're not in agreement on much anymore? What will become of these long-cherished relationships?
Old 03-25-2013, 06:31 AM   #1172
hulagirl87
DIS Veteran

I haven't posted in a long time. It's been a little crazy around here and I just found out that I'm pregnant with #2 so I don't know if I will be able to finish my goal of 100 for the year!

But since it's been awhile since I posted what I've read, I'm just going to list them here...

book #10 - Elsewhere - Gabrielle Zevin (loved this!!!)
book #11 - One Fifth Avenue - Candace Bushnell (this was ok)
book #12- #18 - I read the whole Diary of a Wimpy Kid series (these crack me up!)
book #19 - Diary of a Player - Brad Paisley (this was pretty good)
book #20 - Answered Prayers - Danielle Steel (her books are hit or miss for me, but this one was ok)
book #21 - The Ghost - Danielle Steel (now THIS one was good!!!)
book #22 - The Future of Us - Jay Asher (this one was good. 2 teens in the 90's find Facebook on their computers 15 years in the future. pretty neat story)

so I'm up to book #23. I have a lot of reading to do to reach my 100!

have fun reading

me DH DD and DS
hulagirl87 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-25-2013, 08:45 AM   #1173
Swimnoid
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulagirl87 View Post
I haven't posted in a long time. It's been a little crazy around here and I just found out that I'm pregnant with #2 so I don't know if I will be able to finish my goal of 100 for the year!
Congrats!!
Swimnoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:05 AM   #1174
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it

My book 15/50: EVERY DAY by David Leviathan

It's about a person who is in a different 16-year old's body every day. He falls for a girl while he's in the body of her boyfriend, and spends the rest of the novel trying to find a way to be with her. It was an interesting, quick read, even though I've already forgotten how it ended.
Ginny Favers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:00 PM   #1175
Caseheidi
DIS Veteran

Book 18 of 100 - Partials (Partials Sequence, #1) by Dan Wells

Summary from Goodreads:
The human race is all but extinct after a war with Partials--engineered organic beings identical to humans--has decimated the population. Reduced to only tens of thousands by RM, a weaponized virus to which only a fraction of humanity is immune, the survivors in North America have huddled together on Long Island while the Partials have mysteriously retreated. The threat of the Partials is still imminent, but, worse, no baby has been born immune to RM in more than a decade. Our time is running out.

Kira, a sixteen-year-old medic-in-training, is on the front lines of this battle, seeing RM ravage the community while mandatory pregnancy laws have pushed what's left of humanity to the brink of civil war, and she's not content to stand by and watch. But as she makes a desperate decision to save the last of her race, she will find that the survival of humans and Partials alike rests in her attempts to uncover the connections between them--connections that humanity has forgotten, or perhaps never even knew were there.

Dan Wells, acclaimed author of I Am Not a Serial Killer, takes readers on a pulsepounding journey into a world where the very concept of what it means to be human is in question--one where our humanity is both our greatest liability and our only hope for survival.

I loved this book, and am eager to read the next.

Next up is Unenchanted by Chanda Hahn.

DLR - Aug 1980, Aug 1985, May 1988, April 2002, Dec 2002, Dec 2004, Oct 2012

WDW - July/Aug 2001 (Honeymoon!), Oct 2004, Sept 2005, May 2006, Dec 2007, Dec 2008, Oct 2011
Caseheidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:44 PM   #1176
Kathi OD
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the nevermind we know what was thereRedhead
Guess what - Doesn't like the cheese soup

Since my last update, I've read 2 books: Calling All Invisible Women by Jeanne Ray and Some Kind of Fairy Tale by Graham Joyce.

I enjoyed both, however, as happens frequently with me, I was unhappy with the ending of Some Kind of Fairy Tale. It seemed to just hang there, leaving me to wonder what comes next.

Now it's off to read Angel Falls by Kristin Hannah.

"The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles, but to irrigate deserts." -- C. S. Lewis
Kathi OD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:36 PM   #1177
Caseheidi
DIS Veteran

Book 19 of 100 - UnEnchanted (An Unfortionate Fairy Tail #1) by Chanda Hahn

Summary by Goodreads:
Mina Grime is unlucky, unpopular and uncoordinated, that is until she saves her crush's life on a field trip, changing her High School status from loser to hero overnight. But with her newfound fame brings misfortune as an old family curse come to light. For Mina is descended from the Brothers Grimm and has inherited all of their unfinished fairy tale business. Which includes trying to outwit a powerful Story from making her its next fairytale victim.

To break the fairy tale curse on her family and stop these deadly events, Mina must finish the tales until the very Grimm end.

This was a fun read, but the editing was a little hit or miss (wrong words or poor sentence construction at times.) I will be picking up book 2 soon to read as well. My little one is sick, so I have lots of reading time as she has decided to use me a furniture while she watches cartoons or sleeps for the past few days,

DLR - Aug 1980, Aug 1985, May 1988, April 2002, Dec 2002, Dec 2004, Oct 2012

WDW - July/Aug 2001 (Honeymoon!), Oct 2004, Sept 2005, May 2006, Dec 2007, Dec 2008, Oct 2011
Caseheidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:38 AM   #1178
quietgirll
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny105

Completely off topic but I noticed your signature and avatar. I'm a Blockhead too!
Ohhhhh just noticed this! I just preordered the collectors set for 10! Can't wait till the show this summer!
Old 03-26-2013, 07:24 AM   #1179
hulagirl87
DIS Veteran

I just finished book #23. I read Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson. It was really good, but a bit sad.

me DH DD and DS
hulagirl87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:45 AM   #1180
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulagirl87 View Post
CONGRATULATIONS!!

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife, #16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker, #26 Rainshadow Road, #27 The Art of Hearing Heartbeats, #28 Little Bee, #29 The Art Forger, #30 One Plus One, #31 Double Whammy, #32 The Girl You Left Behind, #33 Orphan Train, #34 Big Little Lies, #35 The Good Girl, #36 The Girl with All the Gifts, #37 Outlander, #38 Lucid, #39 You, #40 Dragonfly in Amber

Currently reading: #41 Voyager

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:49 AM   #1181
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimnoid View Post
Congrats!!
Congratulations on the new baby! Now, have your doctor tell your family that for your health, you must have one hour of uninterrupted quiet time all to yourself every day. Then you can read the rest of your books!

Queen Colleeb
PigletsPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:54 AM   #1182
CaliBear
DIS Veteran

Goal: 40

Book 6 The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling

First, here's Amazon's summary:

Quote:
When Barry Fairbrother dies unexpectedly in his early forties, the little town of Pagford is left in shock. Pagford is, seemingly, an English idyll, with a cobbled market square and an ancient abbey, but what lies behind the pretty façade is a town at war. Rich at war with poor, teenagers at war with their parents, wives at war with their husbands, teachers at war with their pupils…. Pagford is not what it first seems. And the empty seat left by Barry on the town’s council soon becomes the catalyst for the biggest war the town has yet seen. Who will triumph in an election fraught with passion, duplicity and unexpected revelations? Blackly comic, thought-provoking and constantly surprising, The Casual Vacancy is J.K. Rowling’s first novel for adults.
I'm giving this 4 stars. There are some issues: the sexual references are often comical when I don't think they were supposed to be and their inclusion plus excessive social issues thrown into the plot make it seem like Rowling was trying a bit too hard to prove she could write something edgier than Harry Potter. On the plus side, Rowling writes great characters and is skillful at managing a large cast. Not surprisingly, her best characters are the teenagers that populate the story. A likable adult might have made the book a little stronger.
CaliBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:50 AM   #1183
jenny105
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietgirll View Post
Ohhhhh just noticed this! I just preordered the collectors set for 10! Can't wait till the show this summer!
I'm going to see them too. Which show are you going to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBear View Post
I'm giving this 4 stars. There are some issues: the sexual references are often comical when I don't think they were supposed to be and their inclusion plus excessive social issues thrown into the plot make it seem like Rowling was trying a bit too hard to prove she could write something edgier than Harry Potter. On the plus side, Rowling writes great characters and is skillful at managing a large cast. Not surprisingly, her best characters are the teenagers that populate the story. A likable adult might have made the book a little stronger.
That's exactly how I felt about this book except I didn't like it half as much as you did. I thought it was depressing and I didn't like many of the characters. Hard to like a book when you're not rooting for anyone in it!

Me DBf Kris Mitzu
Sept 2015 ASMu/DCL ~ August 2013 GF ~ Oct 2012 AKL ~ April 2011 DL Paradise Pier ~ Oct 2010 POP ~ Sept 2009 WL/DCL/BCV ~ Nov 2008 RPR Universal ~ Jan 2008 POP ~ April 2007 POP ~ Jan 2006 POP
jenny105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:45 PM   #1184
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Book 12 sweet dreams

As Christy's senior year draws to a close, life becomes a mixture of happy days and-Sweet Dreams
After a difficult year full of tension, hard work as yearbook photographer, and studying for finals, Christy Miller is relieved to see the school year come to an end. Christy and Katie have made a commitment to do their best to put the past behind them and move on, and Christy's long-held dreams of growing closer to Todd are coming true.

But despite the romantic turns the summer is taking, not all is sweetness and light. Christy begins to feel torn between her desire to be with Todd and to support Katie through some difficult decisions. And the hardest of all sneaks up and catches Christy by surprise. Suddenly she finds herself having to make what might be the most difficult decision of her life one that could bring an end to every sweet dream she ever possessed. Will Christy find the strength to do what she knows in her heart is right?
Old 03-26-2013, 02:38 PM   #1185
willowsnn3
Tagless not by choice but by circumstance

Goal 72

#21 Into The Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes
I really enjoyed this book. Well as much as you can enjoy a book with this subject matter. Kept me interested all the way thru. I think it has been recommeded & reviewed already so I'll just say that I give it 5 stars.

Book Challenge Goal 86/72

willowsnn3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: