Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2013, 05:19 PM   #1156
zippitydoo
DIS Veteran

Book 15 of 30

What Zombies Fear: A Father’s Quest

When Victor Tookes went to work that beautiful spring day, he never expected to see a man eaten alive in the street in front of his office. His three and a half year old son was bitten on the leg, but doesn't turn into a zombie. Instead, he turns into something more than human

A small percentage of humans are genetically immune to the parasite. Instead of turning these humans into mindless shamblers, they gain enhanced abilities. These new abilities will be pushed to their limits in their quest to carve out a safe haven to call home.

2014 Book Challenge
Completed 75 of 75:
1.A Shade of Blood, 2.A Castle of Sand, 3.Takedown Twenty, 4.Louisiana Longshot, 5.Dirty Little Secrets, 6.The One You Love, 7.The One You Fear, 8.Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, 9.Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, 10.Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, 11.Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, 12.Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, 13.Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, 14.Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, 15.A Shadow of Light, 16.Hollow City, 17.Room, 18.The Barkeep, 19.A Blaze of Sun, 20.I Think I Love You, 21.Broken, 22.Body Movers, 23.A Gate of Night, 24.Trudge, 25.Soldier On, 26.In Harm’s Way, 27.A Pound of Flesh, 28.Taboo, 29.Hide and Seek, 30.Daddy’s Home, 31.Weddings Can Be Murder, 32.The Undead Heart, 33.Moving Day, 34.Monument 14, 35.Sky on Fire, 36.Savage Drift, 37.NOS4A2, 38.Her Last Breath, 39.One Lavender Ribbon, 40.Innocent in Las Vegas, 41.Saving Grace, 42.To Kill For, Awakening, 43.City of Bones, 44.City of Ashes, 45.City of Glass, 46.City of Fallen Angels, 47.City of Lost Souls, 48.City of Heavenly Fire, 49.A Break of Day, 50.The Gray and Guilty Sea, 51.Twenty-Eight and a Half Wishes, 52.The Profiler, 53.Too Close To Home, 54.Hushabye, 55.The Girl Who Never Came Back, 56.Fatal Debt, 57.Deadly Bonds, 58.Kill The Competition, 59.Got Your Number, 60.In Deep Voodoo, 61.Crazy Little Things, 62.My Sister’s Grave, 63.Invisible, 64.Taken, 65.Love and Decay, 66.Episode 1, 67.Darkhouse, 68.Invisible(Ivy Malone #1), 69.Not What She Seems, 70.Tuesday’s Child, 71.The Best Medicine, 72.Castle Cay, 73.Hidden Secrets, 74.The Mind Readers, 75.Eleven
zippitydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:36 PM   #1157
Swimnoid
DIS Veteran

Goal = 75

34. Shoeless Joe by WP Kinsella

This is the book on which the movie Field of Dreams was based. I'm a sucker for a good baseball book. This was one of the best. Very well written and quite a delight.
Swimnoid is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-22-2013, 02:10 AM   #1158
funkychunkymonkey
DIS Veteran

Prision nation
very odd and creepy book

superbia
superbia 2
Cop stories! They were really rather funny but a warning, theres sucicide

travel light travel smart
Ok, not bad, Didnt really learn anything new about packing but it did help me get my suitcase orginized

heck hounds are for suckers
First word is another word that would be a filter violation. Short story but a pretty good story.

tough cookie
eh, a 2 not very memorable

the ninth district
yet another cop thriller

37!!!
RIP:
guiedo (guiena pig) bluebeard
funkychunkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:06 PM   #1159
quietgirll
DIS Veteran

Just finished mission flats, written by the guy who wrote defending Jacob, which I know quite a few people in this thread read. It was very good, started kind of slow, but overall I enjoyed it. Took me longer to read than I was expecting, because I've been having some severe migraines lately I'm excited I finished, so I can start the new Harlan Cobden book now!
Old 03-22-2013, 04:19 PM   #1160
phorsenuf
Not so New Rule author on the DISSome discuss it calmly and some ...
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

I am so far behind on my updates, but I have read 13 of my 26 so far. Grossly under estimated myself.

I did just finish a book last night called As I Close My Eyes. Picked it up as a freebie. I really liked it a lot. Found out today there is another in the series (didn't know it was one), so I bought it. I haven't bought a book in quite a while but had to keep going!
Old 03-22-2013, 04:48 PM   #1161
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimnoid View Post
Goal = 75

34. Shoeless Joe by WP Kinsella

This is the book on which the movie Field of Dreams was based. I'm a sucker for a good baseball book. This was one of the best. Very well written and quite a delight.
Don't know if you prefer fiction, non-fiction, biographical, how-to, etc. but here are a few suggestions. I LOVE baseball, watching it, listening to it, reading about it, EVERYTHING!

Moneyball by Michael Lewis. Story of the quest for the secret of success in baseball. Following the low-budget Oakland A's through their general manager Billy Beane, Lewis has written what may be the best book ever written about baseball. Later made into a movie starring Brad Pitt and Jonah Hall. I loved the book and the movie.

Men at Work: The Craft of Baseball by George Will. (yes, that George Will!) Will travels from the baseball field to the dugout to the locker room to get to the root of the game we all love. I read this years ago, probably when I was 15, and enjoyed it very much.

Bottom of the 33rd: Hope and Redemption in Baseball's Longest Game by Dan Barry. A beautifully recounted story of the longest game in baseball history -- a tale celebrating not only the robust intensity of baseball but the aspirational ideal epitomized by the hard-fighting players of the minor leagues. I would have loved this book even if it hadn't been about my beloved Orioles' minor league club, including at that time Cal Ripken, Jr.

The Unwritten Rules of Baseball by Paul Dickson. The title says it all, but it's a really entertaining read. For example, did you know that one unwritten rule is that In Areas That Have Two Baseball Teams, Any Given Fan Can Really Only Root For One Of Them.

As They See 'Em by Bruce Weber. Follows a New York Times reporter as he attends umpire school in Florida. This is an entertaining account of this experience as well as a lively exploration of what amounts to an eccentric secret society with its own customs, its own rituals, and its own colorful vocabulary. I got this one for Christmas and read it straight through Christmas night!

I've read all of these; let me know if you'd like any more recommendations.

Queen Colleen
PigletsPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:00 PM   #1162
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Seventeen wishes

Christy is ready for a change of scenery, a change in friendships, and a change of heart. But she never knew all this reshuffling would prepare her to make-Seventeen Wishes
Working as a camp counselor is not exactly how Christy Miller envisioned she would be spending part of her summer. But as the week draws closer, Christy begins to realize all the wonderful possibilities that could come from it: meeting a handsome counselor, long walks in the woods, splashing in the sun-toasted lake with newfound friends.

But before long Christy is up to her ears with kids that won't obey her, camp rules to remember, and an embarrassing incident that makes her the camp joke. And after she debates giving her heart to the camp counselor, a moonlight picnic in a canoe leads Christy to make some decisions about her future and trust that God is in control and knows what's best for her. What will she be wishing as she blows out the candles on her birthday cake?
Old 03-23-2013, 12:13 AM   #1163
Swimnoid
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigletsPal2 View Post
Don't know if you prefer fiction, non-fiction, biographical, how-to, etc. but here are a few suggestions. I LOVE baseball, watching it, listening to it, reading about it, EVERYTHING!

Moneyball by Michael Lewis. Story of the quest for the secret of success in baseball. Following the low-budget Oakland A's through their general manager Billy Beane, Lewis has written what may be the best book ever written about baseball. Later made into a movie starring Brad Pitt and Jonah Hall. I loved the book and the movie.

Men at Work: The Craft of Baseball by George Will. (yes, that George Will!) Will travels from the baseball field to the dugout to the locker room to get to the root of the game we all love. I read this years ago, probably when I was 15, and enjoyed it very much.

Bottom of the 33rd: Hope and Redemption in Baseball's Longest Game by Dan Barry. A beautifully recounted story of the longest game in baseball history -- a tale celebrating not only the robust intensity of baseball but the aspirational ideal epitomized by the hard-fighting players of the minor leagues. I would have loved this book even if it hadn't been about my beloved Orioles' minor league club, including at that time Cal Ripken, Jr.

The Unwritten Rules of Baseball by Paul Dickson. The title says it all, but it's a really entertaining read. For example, did you know that one unwritten rule is that In Areas That Have Two Baseball Teams, Any Given Fan Can Really Only Root For One Of Them.

As They See 'Em by Bruce Weber. Follows a New York Times reporter as he attends umpire school in Florida. This is an entertaining account of this experience as well as a lively exploration of what amounts to an eccentric secret society with its own customs, its own rituals, and its own colorful vocabulary. I got this one for Christmas and read it straight through Christmas night!

I've read all of these; let me know if you'd like any more recommendations.

Queen Colleen
Wow! Thanks for the suggestions! I've read tons of baseball books but none of these. I have seen the movie Moneyball and liked it.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:18 AM   #1164
quietgirll
DIS Veteran

Just finished six years by Harlan Coben, and it was AWESOME! I didn't expect any less, the plot was great, good characters, and his element of surprise- highly recommend!
Old 03-23-2013, 08:16 AM   #1165
willowsnn3
Tagless not by choice but by circumstance

Goal 72
#20 Red Rain by R.L. Stine

Travel writer Lea is on a small island off the coast of South Carolina when a hurricane hits the island. Everything is destroyed. She finds two 12 year old beautiful blond twin boys who seem to have lost their home and family, so she decides to adopt them against her husbands wishes. Turns out they are not quite the angels she thought.

OK, R L Stine is famous for his Goosebumps books for children. This was his first venture into a horror story for adults. From the reviews on the back of the book jacket from other authors, I thought this would be a good scary book.....fell way short of the mark for me.

Book Challenge Goal 85/72

willowsnn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:23 PM   #1166
jenny105
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietgirll View Post
Just finished six years by Harlan Coben, and it was AWESOME! I didn't expect any less, the plot was great, good characters, and his element of surprise- highly recommend!
Completely off topic but I noticed your signature and avatar. I'm a Blockhead too!

Me DBf Kris Mitzu
Sept 2015 ASMu/DCL ~ August 2013 GF ~ Oct 2012 AKL ~ April 2011 DL Paradise Pier ~ Oct 2010 POP ~ Sept 2009 WL/DCL/BCV ~ Nov 2008 RPR Universal ~ Jan 2008 POP ~ April 2007 POP ~ Jan 2006 POP
jenny105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:53 PM   #1167
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

Goal: 52 books this year

#22 down and done.

Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker by Jennifer Chiaverini is a novel following the life of Elizabeth Keckley, a slave who managed to purchase her own freedom and that of her son by an influential white Southern man, The story follows Elizabeth's rise to renown as a premier modiste, or dressmaker, in Washington, DC and her unofficial appointment as Mrs. Lincoln's dressmaker. Over the years, Elizabeth becomes Mrs. Lincoln's closest friend and confidante and weathers the ups and downs of the First Lady's tumultuous emotional swings.

Although this is a novel and the dialogue is of necessity made up by the author, many of the events depicted in the book are indeed true, including Mrs. Lincoln's life after the President's assassination and the publication of Elizabeth's memoirs and her life after Mrs. Lincoln's death.

I had read good reviews about this book and I enjoyed Chiaverini's other books about the Elm Creek quilters, so I was eager to read this one. I was definitely not disappointed.

Queen Colleen
PigletsPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:42 AM   #1168
nemofans
DIS Veteran

Finished book #17: Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan

This was okay. It was interesting to read about the difference of girls growing up in China & in America. I got confused on which mother's stories went w/which daughter's stories. The mothers' stories were more interesting & tragic with the daughters' stories more boring and unaware of who their mothers really were.

Four mothers, four daughters, four families whose histories shift with the four winds depending on who's "saying" the stories. In 1949 four Chinese women, recent immigrants to San Francisco, begin meeting to eat dim sum, play mahjong, and talk. United in shared unspeakable loss and hope, they call themselves the Joy Luck Club. Rather than sink into tragedy, they choose to gather to raise their spirits and money. "To despair was to wish back for something already lost. Or to prolong what was already unbearable." Forty years later the stories and history continue.
With wit and sensitivity, Amy Tan examines the sometimes painful, often tender, and always deep connection between mothers and daughters. As each woman reveals her secrets, trying to unravel the truth about her life, the strings become more tangled, more entwine
d. Mothers boast or despair over daughters, and daughters roll their eyes even as they feel the inextricable tightening of their matriarchal ties. Tan is an astute storyteller, enticing readers to immerse themselves into these lives of complexity and mystery.

8/2000 WDW Grosvenor Resort (got engaged!), 11/2005 DL PPH CL, 12/2006 WDW Poly, 02/2008 WDW AKL, 2/2010 WDW CR CL, 2/2011 DCL Magic, 11/2011 DL GCH, 10/2012 WDW AKL CL

2013 Book Challenge: 87 out of 75 GOAL MET!!
2014 Book Challenge: 91 out of 85 GOAL MET!!
nemofans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:40 PM   #1169
Swimnoid
DIS Veteran

Goal = 75

35. Outcasts United: A Refugee Soccer team, an American Town
by Warren St. John

This book tells the true story of how a woman from Jordan built a soccer team in Clarkston, GA. comprised of all refugee children from all over the world. The book was very interesting as it delved deeply into the individual families involved as well as the reasons they fled their homes. It also dealt with the reaction of the small southern town's resident to the their arrival and the obstacles for all involved.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:08 PM   #1170
StephMK
DIS Veteran

#15 Into the Darkest Corner - girl meets guy, guy slowly drives girl crazy in subtle ways, then she has to pick up the pieces of her life later. I didn't like the book at first because the chapters change between the before and after of their relationship. You read about how they met then a chapter about her current life. Once I got used to it, it was ok.

The book was maybe a 3.75? I thought the timing in parts was slightly off but overall, it was really good and I had trouble putting it down. It wasn't quite as good as I had hoped but it held my interest.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: