Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2013, 09:02 PM   #1111
stacy347
I carried a watermelon?

Goal 45
Book #15

I have been moving and getting settled the last 2 weeks (I forgot how exhausting it is!), so not much reading time.

I did manage to get one finished:

Narcissus in Chains by Laurell K. Hamilton
4/5 for my rating

I pretty much know what to expect from these now since I am several books into this series. Still, it was pretty action packed, and took some different twists. I just really like this series.
May 16-22, 2010 Seralago Resort ~ so much fun!
June 17-23, 2012 Regal Palms ~ loved it!
Oct. 4, 2012 Disney on Ice: Rockin' Ever After
stacy347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:10 PM   #1112
3smithboys
DIS Veteran

finished books 9 and 10, both by John Green

Looking for Alaska and Paper Towns

I enjoyed both of them - fast reads...
3smithboys is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-16-2013, 09:57 PM   #1113
dizluvah
DIS Veteran

Goal: 75
It has been awhile since I posted and I'm not certain the last book I listed, so apologies if I repeat myself

book 27 was The Wildwater Walking Club by Claire Cook - enjoyable read about neighbors becoming friends through walking together - gave it 3 stars, nothing spectacular but pleasant enough

book 28 was The Alchemyst by Michael Scott which I adored - gave it 4 starts out of 5 and looking forward to reading more of the series

book 29 was Life's a Beach by Claire Cook - just ok, gave it 2 stars

I haven't read much the last week or so but have started book 30 The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein (as described by others previously in this thread)
Old 03-17-2013, 03:10 PM   #1114
zippitydoo
DIS Veteran

Book 14 of 30

Anne of the Island by Lucy Maud Montgomery

2014 Book Challenge
Completed 51 of 75:
A Shade of Blood, A Castle of Sand, Takedown Twenty, Louisiana Longshot, Dirty Little Secrets, The One You Love, The One You Fear, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, A Shadow of Light, Hollow City, Room, The Barkeep, A Blaze of Sun, I Think I Love You, Broken, Body Movers, A Gate of Night, Trudge, Soldier On, In Harm’s Way, A Pound of Flesh, Taboo, Hide and Seek, Daddy’s Home, Weddings Can Be Murder, The Undead Heart, Moving Day, Monument 14, Sky on Fire, Savage Drift, NOS4A2, Her Last Breath, One Lavender Ribbon, Innocent in Las Vegas, Saving Grace, To Kill For, Awakening, City of Bones, City of Ashes, City of Glass, City of Fallen Angels, City of Lost Souls, City of Heavenly Fire, A Break of Day, The Gray and Guilty Sea, Twenty-Eight and a Half Wishes, The Profiler
zippitydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:26 PM   #1115
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

8 and 9

True friend review by good read
An adventurous ski trip, a strained friendship, and a mysterious package all lead to a deeper understanding of what makes true friends. New twists and turns abound in Christy Miller's life as she finds herself on a ski slope in the arms of a handsome ski instructor.

Starry night
Sixteen-year-old Christy Miller wants friendships she can count on. But when her ex-boyfriend, Rick, seems to be interested in her best friend Katie, Christy and Katie can no longer talk with the kind of honesty they've always shared. Meanwhile, Todd, the guy who truly holds her heart, is still surfing in Hawaii. Then an old friendship unexpectedly takes on new meaning, and Christy wonders why she never before saw Doug for the prince he is.
Review by amazon

Last edited by tinkerbellandeeyor; 03-17-2013 at 04:35 PM.
tinkerbellandeeyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:59 PM   #1116
nemofans
DIS Veteran

Finished book #16: The Thirteen Hallows by Michael Scott

I enjoyed this book. I cannot believe this was written by the same author that wrote the Immortal Nicholas Flamel series as this has alot of brutal murders & gore. It was fast paced & interesting.

The Hallows. Ancient artifacts imbued with a primal and deadly power. But are they protectors of this world, or the keys to its destruction? A gruesome murder in London reveals a sinister plot to uncover a two-thousand-year-old secret. For decades, the Keepers guarded these Hallows, keeping them safe and hidden and apart from each other. But now the Keepers are being brutally murdered, their prizes stolen, the ancient objects bathed in their blood. Now, only a few remain. With her dying breath, one of the Keepers convinces Sarah Miller, a practical stranger, to deliver her Hallowa broken sword with devastating powersto her American nephew, Owen. The duo quickly become suspects in a series of murders as they are chased by both the police and the sadistic Dark Man and his nubile mistress. As Sarah and Owen search for the surviving Keepers, they unravel the deadly secret the Keepers were charged to protect.

Next book: The Joy Luck Club

I've been BOO'd!!

8/2000 Grosvenor Resort (got engaged!), 11/2005 DL PPH CL, 12/2006 Poly, 02/2008 AKL, 2/2010 CR CL, 2/2011 DCL Magic, 11/2011 DL GCH, 10/2012 AKL CL

2013 Book Challenge: 87 out of 75 GOAL MET!!
2014 Book Challenge: 67 out of 85
nemofans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:43 PM   #1117
Swimnoid
DIS Veteran

I've been away from the DIS for awhile and need to catch up with the challenge.

Goal = 75

#29. Messenger by Lois Lowry
A continuation of the Giver Series that focuses on Matty and the Village.

I enjoyed it. Now the series is starting to come together.

#30. Alex Cross, Run by James Patterson
The latest Alex Cross novel. I like Alex and this book was good.

#31. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain
I am trying to go back and read or re-read some classics. I had forgotten many of the adventures Tom had in this book. I loved it!

#32. Son by Lois Lowry.
The final book of the Giver Series. This book is in 3 parts. It starts out back in the community of Jonas before Jonas runs away. Jonas is not the focal character though. Then veers off to a new place for several years. And ends up back in the Village for a final confrontation.

It was a satisfying conclusion to the series.
Swimnoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:38 PM   #1118
willowsnn3
Tagless not by choice but by circumstance

Goal 72
#19 A League of Dangerous Women by Mary Frances Bowley
Non Fiction

From the back cover:
"They are all around you---in your neighborhood, your church, even your own family. They are sisters and daughters and mothers. These young women may look like they have it all together, but inside they're hurting and hopeless. They are trapped by prostitution , alcohol, drugs and darkness. They are desparate."

This was kinda a hard read for me as some of the stories were pretty intense, but I do recommend it.

Book Challenge Goal 65/72

willowsnn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:05 AM   #1119
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Finished #10 of out 30 this weekend:

The Fall of Giants by Ken Follett

I love this author! Writes so richly and introduces such memorable characters to the reader. I do have to say that I didn't enjoy it as much as I did Pillars of the Earth - I think that book had stronger characters, and I had a hard time with this particular time period - WWI. I liked it enough to want to read the next book in the series though, but not right away.

Next up is a short one - The Great Gatsby - have already started it, but having trouble getting into it. Hope it's just the introduction that is dragging and that it'll get better as the storyline develops.

Followed by Rush Home Road since that should be arriving at the library today or tomorrow latest.

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife,#16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker, #26 Rainshadow Road, #27 The Art of Hearing Heartbeats,#28 Little Bee,#29 The Art Forger, #30 One Plus One, #31 Double Whammy

Currently reading: #32 The Girl You Left Behind

Last edited by threeboysmom; 03-18-2013 at 09:11 AM.
threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:44 AM   #1120
StephMK
DIS Veteran

I didn't update after my last read but I have finished -

#13 - All She Ever Wanted - Barbara Freethy - 4 college friends, 1 dies. 10 years later, a mystery person writes a fiction book based on the event and writes that one of them killed her. This was pretty good but not one of my favs. Parts went on too long, explaining how the characters were feeling and I thought that was unnecessary. I also thought the romance part was a little too sweet.

#14 - Gone Girl - could not put this down! Luckily, my family is out of town so I could lounge around & read non-stop w/no guilt. It was one of those books that I enjoyed reading but wanted to hurry up & finish to figure out what happened. Excellent book that I know has been reviewed several times on here.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:44 AM   #1121
jenny105
DIS Veteran

I finished book #5 Little Women. Can you believe I've never read it?

I'm halfway through Where She Went by Gayle Forman. I loved If I Stay and I'm enjoying this book from Adam's perspective as well.

Me DBf Kris Mitzu
Sept 2015 ASMu ~ August 2013 GF ~ Oct 2012 AKL ~ April 2011 DL Paradise Pier ~ Oct 2010 POP ~ Sept 2009 WL/DCL/BCV ~ Nov 2008 RPR Universal ~ Jan 2008 POP ~ April 2007 POP ~ Jan 2006 POP
jenny105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:42 AM   #1122
CaliBear
DIS Veteran

Goal: 40

Book 5 The Hangman's Daughter by Oliver Potzsch

From Amazon:
Quote:
Germany, 1660: When a dying boy is pulled from the river with a mark crudely tattooed on his shoulder, hangman Jakob Kuisl is called upon to investigate whether witchcraft is at play. So begins The Hangman's Daughter--the chillingly detailed, fast-paced historical thriller from German television screenwriter, Oliver Pötzsch--a descendent of the Kuisls, a famous Bavarian executioner clan.
My take: I enjoyed the time period and setting, and I especially enjoyed the character of the hangman so I will read more from this series ( plus they were on sale for 99 cents each on Amazon over the weekend), but as a "thriller" they fell a little short for me. I did enjoy it as a piece of historical fiction. 3 stars

Up next: The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling

@ Threeboysmom- I hope you don't mind I copied you by putting the challenge in my sig. Great idea for keeping track!
CaliBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:27 PM   #1123
wvjules
DIS Veteran

Just finished One Second After. I give it 4.5 stars.

Quote:
From Booklist
In a Norman Rockwell town in North Carolina, where residents rarely lock homes, retired army colonel John Matherson teaches college, raises two daughters, and grieves the loss of his wife to cancer. When phones die and cars inexplicably stall, Grandma’s pre-computerized Edsel takes readers to a stunning scene on the car-littered interstate, on which 500 stranded strangers, some with guns, awaken John’s New Jersey street-smart instincts to get the family home and load the shotgun. Next morning, some townspeople realize that an electromagnetic pulse weapon has destroyed America’s power grid, and they proceed to set survival priorities. John’s list includes insulin for his type-one diabetic 12-year-old, candy bars, and sacks of ice. Deaths start with heart attacks and eventually escalate alarmingly. Food becomes scarce, and societal breakdown proceeds with inevitable violence; towns burn, and ex-servicemen recall “Korea in ’51” as military action by unlikely people becomes the norm in Forstchen’s sad, riveting cautionary tale, the premise of which Newt Gingrich’s foreword says is completely possible. --Whitney Scott
Not sure what's next...
wvjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:22 PM   #1124
portia9
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigletsPal2 View Post
Goal: 52 books this year.

#20 down and done.

The Darcys and the Bingleys: A Tale of Two Gentlemen's Marriage to Two Most Devoted Sisters by Marsha Altman. This is the story of the days leading up to the double marriage of Fitzwilliam Darcy to Elizabeth Bennet and Charles Bingley to Jane Bennet.

The tale goes on following the two couples for the next year or two, with heavy emphasis on their love lives, their efforts to keep Bingley's sister from making a disastrous marriage, and the development and nurturing of the friendship between Darcy, a notoriously private man, and Bingley, a gregarious good-hearted, open man.

This book is definitely written in Jane Austen's style, which I love, but I'm not sure she would have been so specific in describing the couples' love lives. It didn't bother me, but it may offend Austen purists.

All in all, it was a fun read, and I'll be on the lookout for Altman's follow-up book.

Queen Colleen
I love Austen spin offs. I have a heap on my kindle waiting to be read. A lot of them seem to like to raunchy up the action, I don't think Jane would have approved!

Book Challenge Goal for 2014-100 books

blueeyedboy~It Happened One Summer~Imperial Requiem~The Search for Anne Perry~A Sprig of Lavender~Pride and Prejudice:The Scenes Jane Austen Never Wrote~The Village Newcomers~The Mist on Bronte Moor~A Village in Jeopardy~The Next Best Thing~Village School~Life After Life~A Room of One's Own~The Rosie Project~Summertime~Cheaper By The Dozen~Belles on Their Toes~A Perfect Life~Kilmeny of the Orchard~The Real Life Mary Poppins~A Proud Taste of Scarlet and Miniver~Expectations of Happiness~The Last Wife of Henry VIII~Tempting Fate~The Rebuttal~A Storm of Swords~A Feast for Crows~A Dance of Dragons~Green Grass~Girt~Village Books~Searching for Shona~The Wonderful Wizard of Oz~The Marvelous Land of Oz~Ozma of Oz~The Maze Runner~Revenge Wears Prada~Captain Wentworth Home From the Sea~Mr Darcy's Great Escape~None But You~For You Alone~Tess of the D'urbervilles~The Pursuit of God~Is It Just Me?~Notes To My Mother-In-Law~The Little Friend~About the B'nai Bagels~Aunt Dimity's Death~Poldark~A Man Lay Dead~Attempting Elizabeth~Mrs Dalloway~The Mayor of Casterbridge~Speaking From Among the Bones~The Second Chance~Aunt Dimity and the Duke~Volunteering~The Fellowship of the Ring~The Two Towers~The Return of the King~Demelza~Innocence of Father Brown~The Lowland~The Europeans~North and South~Quartet in Autumn~Jane Eyre~Collected Works of A.J.Fikry~The Sisterhood~Come and Tell Me Some Lies~How Many Camels Are There in Holland?~
portia9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:38 PM   #1125
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

Quote:
Originally Posted by portia9 View Post
I love Austen spin offs. I have a heap on my kindle waiting to be read. A lot of them seem to like to raunchy up the action, I don't think Jane would have approved!
I love them too! I've been reading them for years, but of course I can't remember titles. Can you pass on the titles in your Kindle? I have one as well, and if I have titles and/or authors, I can grab them too. I'll let you know, too, if I find any that you don't have. Do you have Death at Pemberly by P. D. James? And I think you're right - Jane probably wouldn't approve of some of the more raunchy stuff, but I do!

Queen Colleen
PigletsPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: