Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2013, 06:48 PM   #1096
tiggrbaby
We must work harder to stay under the radar for this oneWe always bring our own inflatable noodle

Finished #7

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

I'm not going to add a description as I think this has been mentioned before on this thread. I really did not like this book! I guess it's my inability to connect to/feel for the characters.

DISboards 2104 Book Challenge: 40/40
DISboards 2013 Book Challenge: 36/35
tiggrbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:42 PM   #1097
nemofans
DIS Veteran

Finished #15: A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick

I read this for my book club. I did not like this book. Not a whole lot actually happens in this book. Most of it is filled w/descriptions of their feelings again and again and again that don't change much. I didn't feel much for the characters either. I got bored & started skimming through it to finish it. I would give it a 1.5/5 at best.

Rural Wisconsin, 1909. In the bitter cold, Ralph Truitt, a successful businessman, stands alone on a train platform waiting for the woman who answered his newspaper advertisement for "a reliable wife." But when Catherine Land steps off the train from Chicago, she's not the "simple, honest woman" that Ralph is expecting. She is both complex and devious, haunted by a terrible past and motivated by greed. Her plan is simple: she will win this man's devotion, and then, ever so slowly, she will poison him and leave Wisconsin a wealthy widow. What she has not counted on, though, is that Truitt  a passionate man with his own dark secrets has plans of his own for his new wife. Isolated on a remote estate and imprisoned by relentless snow, the story of Ralph and Catherine unfolds in unimaginable ways.

8/2000 WDW Grosvenor Resort (got engaged!), 11/2005 DL PPH CL, 12/2006 WDW Poly, 02/2008 WDW AKL, 2/2010 WDW CR CL, 2/2011 DCL Magic, 11/2011 DL GCH, 10/2012 WDW AKL CL

2013 Book Challenge: 87 out of 75 GOAL MET!!
2014 Book Challenge: 87 out of 85 GOAL MET!!
nemofans is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-12-2013, 03:13 PM   #1098
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it

Just finished my book #13. Gravity by Melissa West

In the future, only one rule will matter:

Dont. Ever. Peek.

Seventeen-year-old Ari Alexander just broke that rule and saw the last person she expected hovering above her bed  arrogant Jackson Locke, the most popular boy in her school. She expects instant execution or some kind of freak alien punishment, but instead, Jackson issues a challenge: help him, or everyone on Earth will die.

Ari knows she should report him, but everything about Jackson makes her question what shes been taught about his kind. And against her instincts, shes falling for him. But Ari isnt just any girl, and Jackson wants more than her attention. Shes a military legacy whos been trained by her father and exposed to war strategies and societal information no one can know  especially an alien spy, like Jackson. Giving Jackson the information he needs will betray her father and her country, but keeping silent will start a war.

It was very different! Where do these writers come up with these ideas? Oh, heck, I'm never going to get to 50! I am slowly working on revisions to one and trying to write the sequel now by October. It's hard, especially when there are all these other awesome post-apocalyptic books out there. I keep thinking the world probably does not need any more.
Ginny Favers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:22 PM   #1099
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

Goal: 52 books this year

#19 down and done.

The Shadow Queen by Rebecca Dean is a novel based on the life of Wallis Simpson, the American for whom King Edward VIII gave up the British throne in 1936, shocking the world. As it's a novel, the author was able to take liberties, mixing fact with fiction, introducing characters where devised story lines and dialogue required them. Dean is very clear that this is not a biography, but I found it to be an interesting read, a "well, it might have happened that way!" story.

As I've mentioned in previous posts, I'm a huge Anglophile and I love that time in history, so this was a very pleasant way to spend today.

Queen Colleen
PigletsPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:48 PM   #1100
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Sorry miss counted finished 9 not 10

"The seventh book in the series takes a different, and maybe a somewhat refreshing turn, as Christy no longer has a guy to prop her up. Just what she needs, if you ask me. She realizes what a friend she has in Katie and the two go on a ski trip together -- of course, finding their friendship tested along the way.

The storyline is quieter -- the source of tension is almost silly -- but delving into the meaning of friendship is something Robin Jones Gunn does best."

Last edited by tinkerbellandeeyor; 03-12-2013 at 11:55 PM.
tinkerbellandeeyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:38 PM   #1101
zippitydoo
DIS Veteran

Book 13 of 30

Daddy Pact by Kristy K. James

Jess Bentley's husband is murdered on the night they return home from their honeymoon, she can't seem to find the will to go on.....until she discovers she's pregnant with his child.

Dan Mulholland made it his mission to help the widow of the man his brother murdered. Little did he know when he knocked on her door, that he would soon find himself married to her...in order to protect her unborn child from a vengeful father-in-law.

2014 Book Challenge
Completed 65 of 75:
A Shade of Blood, A Castle of Sand, Takedown Twenty, Louisiana Longshot, Dirty Little Secrets, The One You Love, The One You Fear, Harry Potter and the Sorcererís Stone, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, A Shadow of Light, Hollow City, Room, The Barkeep, A Blaze of Sun, I Think I Love You, Broken, Body Movers, A Gate of Night, Trudge, Soldier On, In Harmís Way, A Pound of Flesh, Taboo, Hide and Seek, Daddyís Home, Weddings Can Be Murder, The Undead Heart, Moving Day, Monument 14, Sky on Fire, Savage Drift, NOS4A2, Her Last Breath, One Lavender Ribbon, Innocent in Las Vegas, Saving Grace, To Kill For, Awakening, City of Bones, City of Ashes, City of Glass, City of Fallen Angels, City of Lost Souls, City of Heavenly Fire, A Break of Day, The Gray and Guilty Sea, Twenty-Eight and a Half Wishes, The Profiler, Too Close To Home, Hushabye, The Girl Who Never Came Back, Fatal Debt, Deadly Bonds, Kill The Competition, Got Your Number, In Deep Voodoo, Crazy Little Things, My Sisterís Grave, Invisible, Taken
zippitydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:12 PM   #1102
wvjules
DIS Veteran

I can't get into Killing Lincoln so I started "One Second After". I can't put it down. It's actually quite terrifying! Everyone must read this book!

One Second After
wvjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:28 AM   #1103
WowLookAtThat
DIS Veteran

Book #21 Before Green Gables by Budge Wilson

Review: I have noticed some readers on here starting in the Green Gables so I got in the mood to crack open the series with the prequel 'Before Green Gables'. Now this is an authorized prequel to the series (for those who want to watch Sullivan's Anne of Green Gables: A New Beginning, this miniseries was NOT based on this book.)

Now, the Anne of Green Gables series is full of romance, enchantment and some humor. The books are sweet and have a beauty to them. In comparison, Before Green Gables is kind of bleak however Anne's life before arriving to Avonlea was known to be hard. This book does not shy away in telling the hardships that a child had to go through. Anne experiences the tough living with the Thomas family and knows her share of heartbreak and tragedy. It is also there that her intelligence and imagination is noted. With the Hammond family, Anne is basically used as a slave and isn't really given a chance to be a kid or even to be loved. However, the Thomas and Hammond characters are humanized and even show how their poverty and life's ordeals shaped them.

This book isn't all bleak as Anne's zeal for education and her ability to soften many hearts progresses. Before Green Gables does a sure job in showing how Anne needed to live in a place like Green Gables and to know that love and a peaceful happy future was going to happen.

Before Green Gables does also give a few brief chapters about Walter and Bertha Shirley and their happiness and love for one another. The couple did truly love on another and when Anne was born, there is a slight time of true happiness.

I think that if you are interested in the Anne series, I would give this book a chance to get some more backstory in the life of Anne Shirley. I do suggest it and even though it does run on a bit, it is worth it.

Last edited by WowLookAtThat; 03-14-2013 at 06:42 AM.
WowLookAtThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:12 PM   #1104
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

#9 - The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh

I really liked this book. I'd give it a 4/5.

The Victorian language of flowers was used to convey romantic expressions: honeysuckle for devotion, asters for patience, and red roses for love. But for Victoria Jones, itís been more useful in communicating mistrust and solitude. After a childhood spent in the foster-care system, she is unable to get close to anybody, and her only connection to the world is through flowers and their meanings. Now eighteen and emancipated from the system with nowhere to go, Victoria realizes she has a gift for helping others through the flowers she chooses for them. But an unexpected encounter with a mysterious stranger has her questioning whatís been missing in her life. And when sheís forced to confront a painful secret from her past, she must decide whether itís worth risking everything for a second chance at happiness.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:35 AM   #1105
portia9
DIS Veteran

Goal #100

#37 and #38-Good Wives and Little Men by Louisa May Alcott
#39 Inner Path to Happiness by Keith Williams-a short non fiction read
#40 Storm Front by Jim Butcher-first in a series and I enjoyed it

Book Challenge Goal for 2014-100 books

blueeyedboy~It Happened One Summer~Imperial Requiem~The Search for Anne Perry~A Sprig of Lavender~Pride and Prejudice:The Scenes Jane Austen Never Wrote~The Village Newcomers~The Mist on Bronte Moor~A Village in Jeopardy~The Next Best Thing~Village School~Life After Life~A Room of One's Own~The Rosie Project~Summertime~Cheaper By The Dozen~Belles on Their Toes~A Perfect Life~Kilmeny of the Orchard~The Real Life Mary Poppins~A Proud Taste of Scarlet and Miniver~Expectations of Happiness~The Last Wife of Henry VIII~Tempting Fate~The Rebuttal~A Storm of Swords~A Feast for Crows~A Dance of Dragons~Green Grass~Girt~Village Books~Searching for Shona~The Wonderful Wizard of Oz~The Marvelous Land of Oz~Ozma of Oz~The Maze Runner~Revenge Wears Prada~Captain Wentworth Home From the Sea~Mr Darcy's Great Escape~None But You~For You Alone~Tess of the D'urbervilles~The Pursuit of God~Is It Just Me?~Notes To My Mother-In-Law~The Little Friend~About the B'nai Bagels~Aunt Dimity's Death~Poldark~A Man Lay Dead~Attempting Elizabeth~Mrs Dalloway~The Mayor of Casterbridge~Speaking From Among the Bones~The Second Chance~Aunt Dimity and the Duke~Volunteering~The Fellowship of the Ring~The Two Towers~The Return of the King~Demelza~Innocence of Father Brown~The Lowland~The Europeans~North and South~Quartet in Autumn~Jane Eyre~Collected Works of A.J.Fikry~The Sisterhood~Come and Tell Me Some Lies~How Many Camels Are There in Holland?~
portia9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:37 AM   #1106
portia9
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WowLookAtThat View Post
Book #21 Before Green Gables by Budge Wilson
I thought she did a really good job considering how well loved and familiar the Anne books are. It's no mean feat trying to capture the feel of such a book.

Book Challenge Goal for 2014-100 books

blueeyedboy~It Happened One Summer~Imperial Requiem~The Search for Anne Perry~A Sprig of Lavender~Pride and Prejudice:The Scenes Jane Austen Never Wrote~The Village Newcomers~The Mist on Bronte Moor~A Village in Jeopardy~The Next Best Thing~Village School~Life After Life~A Room of One's Own~The Rosie Project~Summertime~Cheaper By The Dozen~Belles on Their Toes~A Perfect Life~Kilmeny of the Orchard~The Real Life Mary Poppins~A Proud Taste of Scarlet and Miniver~Expectations of Happiness~The Last Wife of Henry VIII~Tempting Fate~The Rebuttal~A Storm of Swords~A Feast for Crows~A Dance of Dragons~Green Grass~Girt~Village Books~Searching for Shona~The Wonderful Wizard of Oz~The Marvelous Land of Oz~Ozma of Oz~The Maze Runner~Revenge Wears Prada~Captain Wentworth Home From the Sea~Mr Darcy's Great Escape~None But You~For You Alone~Tess of the D'urbervilles~The Pursuit of God~Is It Just Me?~Notes To My Mother-In-Law~The Little Friend~About the B'nai Bagels~Aunt Dimity's Death~Poldark~A Man Lay Dead~Attempting Elizabeth~Mrs Dalloway~The Mayor of Casterbridge~Speaking From Among the Bones~The Second Chance~Aunt Dimity and the Duke~Volunteering~The Fellowship of the Ring~The Two Towers~The Return of the King~Demelza~Innocence of Father Brown~The Lowland~The Europeans~North and South~Quartet in Autumn~Jane Eyre~Collected Works of A.J.Fikry~The Sisterhood~Come and Tell Me Some Lies~How Many Camels Are There in Holland?~
portia9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:56 AM   #1107
dismom301930
Mouseketeer

Goal = 40

Book # 12 - The Round House by Louise Erdrich (http://www.amazon.com/The-Round-Hous...ds=round+house)
I was disappointed in this one. It was a National Book Award winner and has received many excellent reviews. The overall plot was interesting, as was learning about Native American culture. I just found the story to be slow and quite boring. Additionally, I did not like the author's writing style, specifically her lack of quotation marks around dialogue.

Next Up: Insurgent by veronica Roth (http://www.amazon.com/Insurgent-Coll...ords=insurgent)
Second book in the Divergent series. Looking forward to this one!
dismom301930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:33 PM   #1108
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

Goal: 52 books this year.

#20 down and done.

The Darcys and the Bingleys: A Tale of Two Gentlemen's Marriage to Two Most Devoted Sisters by Marsha Altman. This is the story of the days leading up to the double marriage of Fitzwilliam Darcy to Elizabeth Bennet and Charles Bingley to Jane Bennet.

The tale goes on following the two couples for the next year or two, with heavy emphasis on their love lives, their efforts to keep Bingley's sister from making a disastrous marriage, and the development and nurturing of the friendship between Darcy, a notoriously private man, and Bingley, a gregarious good-hearted, open man.

This book is definitely written in Jane Austen's style, which I love, but I'm not sure she would have been so specific in describing the couples' love lives. It didn't bother me, but it may offend Austen purists.

All in all, it was a fun read, and I'll be on the lookout for Altman's follow-up book.

Queen Colleen
PigletsPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:16 AM   #1109
funkychunkymonkey
DIS Veteran

30 and 31
night district-
A pretty good thriller, very short with a romace

prison nation
A very good book!! 5 star! its about a world taken over by the "nation" a bunch of law officials. People are jailed for many things and one young girl turns 18 and sets off to see the truth, beyond the prision walls where she was born
RIP:
guiedo (guiena pig) bluebeard
funkychunkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:45 AM   #1110
WowLookAtThat
DIS Veteran

Book #22 Dreams In The Golden Country by Kathryn Lasky

Review: I had this book as a kid and I found it in an old box of books. Going down nostalgia way I started to read 'Golden Country'. I found this to be pretty good. Zipporah is a twelve year old girl arriving to America in 1903. While living in New York, Zippy notices the clash of influence of the old country and new especially within her own family. It was a quick read and I would suggest it for a kid.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: