Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2013, 05:23 AM   #1081
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Finished 8 a heart full of hope

A new school year, a new boyfriend, an old wish come true. Christy has every reason to have-A Heart Full of Hope

About to begin her junior year, Christy Miller feels optimistic. After all, she's starting the school year going steady with a romantic, handsome guy who carefully plans each date to assure Christy he thinks she's wonderful even dazzling. And Christy is dazzled by him.

But somehow all her optimism can't make the details of her life go the way she wants. When her parents restrict her activities and insist Christy find a job, her boyfriend is upset by her parents' strict rules. Can he and Christy work out their problems? Or will her parents' rules ruin everything? What does God want her to hope for?

Last edited by tinkerbellandeeyor; 03-17-2013 at 04:14 PM.
tinkerbellandeeyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:03 AM   #1082
CaliBear
DIS Veteran

Goal 40

Book 4: Snodgrass Vacation by Dave Conifer

This is a WDW vacation spoof. Most of it reads kind of like a trip report but with all the names of the parks and the rides changed to the most obvious counterparts. The characters are all pretty unlikable, but I guess that's the point, and there's a side story with the two main characters chasing a guy they believe has filed a fraudulent law suit against someone they know. It's just ok as a book, but it was what I needed at the moment- a quick, fluffy read, and hey, why not have my favorite place in the world as the setting while I'm at it? 3 stars

Next up: The Hangman's Daughter (book 1) by Oliver Potzch
CaliBear is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-10-2013, 08:23 AM   #1083
RunningGirl
DIS Veteran

21 done - Sand Sharks by Margaret Maron. Not one of her best.
RunningGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:32 AM   #1084
willowsnn3
Tagless not by choice but by circumstance

Goal 72

#18 Don't Tell a Soul by David Rosenfelt

Tim's wife Maggie died in a boating accident six months ago. Local cop still trying to prove Tim did it. Lots of twists and turns.
I give this maybe a 3 out of a 5 rating. Interesting enough to keep reading but not a favorite.

Book Challenge Goal 65/72

willowsnn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:01 PM   #1085
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

Goal 25

#5 Living Dead in Dallas
By Charlaine Harris

This is the second book in the Southern Vampire Series(Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood series). I have read these before, but I wanted to reread them before I tackle the last two. I had to really force myself through them around #8 or #9, but I need a refresher on the different mythology and characters since it is so different than the show True Blood.

I won't post the summary since a lot of you have read it. It's not one of my favorites, and truth be told, I skimmed the last few chapters, but I'm going to count it as done.
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne, #15- Monument 14: Sky on Fire Emmy Laybourne, #16- The Magicians Lev Grossman, #17, #18, #19- The Strain Trilogy Guillermo Del Toro
Soldier's*Sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:54 PM   #1086
zippitydoo
DIS Veteran

Book 12 of 30

Anne of Avonlea by Lucy Maud Montgomery

2014 Book Challenge
Completed 49 of 75:
A Shade of Blood, A Castle of Sand, Takedown Twenty, Louisiana Longshot, Dirty Little Secrets, The One You Love, The One You Fear, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, A Shadow of Light, Hollow City, Room, The Barkeep, A Blaze of Sun, I Think I Love You, Broken, Body Movers, A Gate of Night, Trudge, Soldier On, In Harm’s Way, A Pound of Flesh, Taboo, Hide and Seek, Daddy’s Home, Weddings Can Be Murder, The Undead Heart, Moving Day, Monument 14, Sky on Fire, Savage Drift, NOS4A2, Her Last Breath, One Lavender Ribbon, Innocent in Las Vegas, Saving Grace, To Kill For, Awakening, City of Bones, City of Ashes, City of Glass, City of Fallen Angels, City of Lost Souls, City of Heavenly Fire, A Break of Day
zippitydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:38 PM   #1087
portia9
DIS Veteran

Goal 100

Book #36 The Last Runaway by Tracy Chevalier

I always enjoy her books and this one was no exception.

Book Challenge Goal for 2014-100 books

blueeyedboy~It Happened One Summer~Imperial Requiem~The Search for Anne Perry~A Sprig of Lavender~Pride and Prejudice:The Scenes Jane Austen Never Wrote~The Village Newcomers~The Mist on Bronte Moor~A Village in Jeopardy~The Next Best Thing~Village School~Life After Life~A Room of One's Own~The Rosie Project~Summertime~Cheaper By The Dozen~Belles on Their Toes~A Perfect Life~Kilmeny of the Orchard~The Real Life Mary Poppins~A Proud Taste of Scarlet and Miniver~Expectations of Happiness~The Last Wife of Henry VIII~Tempting Fate~The Rebuttal~A Storm of Swords~A Feast for Crows~A Dance of Dragons~Green Grass~Girt~Village Books~Searching for Shona~The Wonderful Wizard of Oz~The Marvelous Land of Oz~Ozma of Oz~The Maze Runner~Revenge Wears Prada~Captain Wentworth Home From the Sea~Mr Darcy's Great Escape~None But You~For You Alone~Tess of the D'urbervilles~The Pursuit of God~Is It Just Me?~Notes To My Mother-In-Law~The Little Friend~About the B'nai Bagels~Aunt Dimity's Death~Poldark~A Man Lay Dead~Attempting Elizabeth~Mrs Dalloway~The Mayor of Casterbridge~Speaking From Among the Bones~The Second Chance~Aunt Dimity and the Duke~Volunteering~The Fellowship of the Ring~The Two Towers~The Return of the King~Demelza~Innocence of Father Brown~The Lowland~The Europeans~North and South~Quartet in Autumn~Jane Eyre~Collected Works of A.J.Fikry~The Sisterhood~Come and Tell Me Some Lies~How Many Camels Are There in Holland?~
portia9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:45 AM   #1088
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun

10/30

Pearl, by C. E. Weisman

From Amazon:
Quote:
Pearl Water's childhood was shattered the night she stood at her bedroom window and watched her mother run away without a glance back. Only ten years old, Pearl was left to care for the family and take over her mother's responsibilities.

Eight years later as the approach of midnight beckons, Pearl finds herself on the edge of eighteen and running, as her mother did, in search of freedom and the youth she'd been denied.

But freedom has a price.

She ends up on foreign turf; a farm in Oregon with her volatile boyfriend, Roy and his family, who seem to hold even more secrets than her own. As time goes by, Pearl is drawn into beautiful but also tumultuous relationships with these strangers in Oregon, all the while losing a bit of herself with each drop of booze Roy drinks.

As secrets unfold, Pearl wonders how much of her own past is truth and what has been a lie.

And would the answer come too late, as her world spirals down into a path of destruction?
I really enjoyed this. It's very dark and depressing for a good portion of the book. The ending was kind of predictable, but it ended the way I wanted it to. 4/5 stars

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
BearcatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:48 AM   #1089
wvjules
DIS Veteran

I finished "Before I Go to Sleep" over the weekend. I couldn't wait to find out what happened next. I give it a 4/5.
wvjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:04 AM   #1090
debg
Mouseketeer

Calling Me Home

Ok, I've not set an official goal but have been reading along with this thread from the very beginning. I wanted to pass this along since it's rare that I rate a book 5 stars. I loved this book! Great debut novel! I think I came across the title on Goodreads - can't really remember. Way more ratings and reviews on Goodreads than on Amazon, but very high on each. This book will go on my bookshelf right next to Rush Home Road, one of my other very few 5 star rated books. Of course that means I have to go out and buy it as I read a library copy, haha!

from amazon.com:
Calling Me Home by Julie Kibler is a soaring debut interweaving the story of a heartbreaking, forbidden love in 1930s Kentucky with an unlikely modern-day friendship.

Eighty-nine-year-old Isabelle McAllister has a favor to ask her hairdresser Dorrie Curtis. It's a big one. Isabelle wants Dorrie, a black single mom in her thirties, to drop everything to drive her from her home in Arlington, Texas, to a funeral in Cincinnati. With no clear explanation why. Tomorrow.

Dorrie, fleeing problems of her own and curious whether she can unlock the secrets of Isabelle's guarded past, scarcely hesitates before agreeing, not knowing it will be a journey that changes both their lives.

Over the years, Dorrie and Isabelle have developed more than just a business relationship. They are friends. But Dorrie, fretting over the new man in her life and her teenage son's irresponsible choices, still wonders why Isabelle chose her.

Isabelle confesses that, as a willful teen in 1930s Kentucky, she fell deeply in love with Robert Prewitt, a would-be doctor and the black son of her family's housekeeper--in a town where blacks weren't allowed after dark. The tale of their forbidden relationship and its tragic consequences makes it clear Dorrie and Isabelle are headed for a gathering of the utmost importance and that the history of Isabelle's first and greatest love just might help Dorrie find her own way.
debg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:07 AM   #1091
KimR
DIS Veteran
Needs to lay off the Murder Mysteries before Dental Appointments!

I'm reading 'If She Only Knew' by Lisa Jackson. Thank goodness I'm almost finished with it. The premise sounded like it could be interesting: "left with fractured memories following the car accident that nearly took her life, Marla Cahill finds herself surrounded by a family of strangers and in deadly danger from a twisted killer who fears what she may remember."

The plot itself it relatively compelling, however that is overshadowed by the amateurish writing, stilted dialog, boring 2-dimensional characters and cheesy romance. No more Lisa Jackson for me.

2000 - GF; 2000 - BC; 03 - GF; 04 - YC; 05 - GF; 06, 07 - YC; 08 - GF; 09, 10 - YC; 12 - YC

Just the basics:
Are two-year-olds too young to go to Disney? It depends upon their temperament. One way to find out: take them there. After all, they're only young for a short time. You're sure to enjoy your trip if you plan ahead! AND - don't forget those all-important dining reservations; they fill up so fast it's ridiculous. Have I forgotten anything? Oh yes - I'd advise you to carry a small purse or bag for loose items so you don't lose them on rides. You'll have a great vacation if you follow my advice!
KimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #1092
Swimnoid
DIS Veteran

Goal = 75

#28 Night Circus--Erin Morgenstern

From Goodreads:
The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazements. It is called Le Cirque des Rêves, and it is only open at night.

But behind the scenes, a fierce competition is underwaya duel between two young magicians, Celia and Marco, who have been trained since childhood expressly for this purpose by their mercurial instructors.

I really liked this book! It's a very different and compelling read.

Now I'm off to the library. Three books I had on hold all came in on the same day! Lots of reading in store for me for the next few days.

Last edited by Swimnoid; 03-11-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Swimnoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:52 AM   #1093
RunningGirl
DIS Veteran

22 complete - Until Tuesday: A Wounded Warrior and the Golden Retriever Who Saved Him by Luis Carlos Montalvan

Didn't like it as much as I expected to. Glad I got it from the library and didn't buy it.
RunningGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:37 PM   #1094
Caseheidi
DIS Veteran

Book 14 of 100

Frost Burned (Mercy Thompson book #7) by Patricia Briggs

Summary from Amazon: Mercy Thompson’s life has undergone a seismic change. Becoming the mate of Adam Hauptman—the charismatic Alpha of the local werewolf pack—has made her a stepmother to his daughter Jesse, a relationship that brings moments of blissful normalcy to Mercy’s life. But on the edges of humanity, what passes for a minor mishap on an ordinary day can turn into so much more…

After an accident in bumper-to-bumper traffic, Mercy and Jesse can’t reach Adam—or anyone else in the pack for that matter. They’ve all been abducted.

Through their mating bond, all Mercy knows is that Adam is angry and in pain. With the werewolves fighting a political battle to gain acceptance from the public, Mercy fears Adam’s disappearance may be related—and that he and the pack are in serious danger. Outclassed and on her own, Mercy may be forced to seek assistance from any ally she can get, no matter how unlikely.

I really enjoy this series and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys urban fantasy. As always, I found myself wanting to read more and finished this book rather quickly. I would give it 5 stars.

DLR - Aug 1980, Aug 1985, May 1988, April 2002, Dec 2002, Dec 2004, Oct 2012

WDW - July/Aug 2001 (Honeymoon!), Oct 2004, Sept 2005, May 2006, Dec 2007, Dec 2008, Oct 2011
Caseheidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:20 PM   #1095
StephMK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimnoid View Post
Goal = 75

Now I'm off to the library. Three books I had on hold all came in on the same day! Lots of reading in store for me for the next few days.
That happened to me too! 3 ebooks came up on my hold list at the library. The number of people in line was different so I didn't expect to get them all at once! I let one go that didn't have a long line since I knew I couldn't get through 3 this week. Ebooks only get 7 days.

#11 Reinventing Claire, Darien Wilk - it was ok, fairly predictable, little too sweet. Divorced woman has to reinvent herself & looks for romance. Fluff, quick read & free from Amazon. Read this last week while waiting for some ebooks to become available.

#12 - Defending Jacob - excited to see this come up on my holds since it had a long wait list at the library. Definitely one I didn't want to put down and thanks to a snow day, I finished it today! Great writing, gave me some clues but kept me guessing enough that I didn't quite put everything together for awhile. Great ending. I love these kind of ethical, what would you do in this situation type of book! Reminds me of the books I like by Jodi Piccoult.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: