Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2013, 06:50 PM   #1066
dismom301930
Mouseketeer

Goal = 40

Book #11 - Divergent by Veronica Roth http://www.amazon.com/Divergent-Book...+veronica+roth
I really enjoyed this book. I found it to be a quick read, and I look forward to reading the second book in this series. I'm not sure I like it as much as Hunger Games (a similar series) but I definitely liked it.

Next up:
The Round House by Louise Erdrich http://www.amazon.com/Round-House-Lo...he+round+house
Insurgent by Veronica Roth (next book in Divergent series)
dismom301930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:02 PM   #1067
WowLookAtThat
DIS Veteran

Book #20 Sundays at Tiffany's by James Patterson and Gabrielle Charbonnet

Review: A lonely little girl named Jane has a best friend, Michael who is always there when she needs him and doesn't neglect her like so many others. The only problem is he is imaginary. After a horrible birthday, Michael comforts the little girl but also tells her that he has to go away as she is too old for an imaginary friend. He leaves and expects her to forget about him.

Years later, Jane is working with her overbearing mother and is producing a movie based on the play she created on her childhood with Michael. She is constantly under her mom's thumb and is in a bad relationship with a total &%$ named Hugh who is using her to be in her movie. Not only that but Jane is really insecure and at an all time low. That is when Michael walks back in her life and a romance starts.

This book is pretty simple and sweet. Michael does exists as an imaginary friend, immortal and able to get whatever he wants with a snap of the fingers but he is able to become visible whenever he wants to. The story doesn't go any more into his imaginary friend life but it is well-explained. The relationship that starts between Jane and Michael is pretty fast and even though it is sweet, it felt a little forced.
I would suggest it for just a quick beach read.
Register to remove

Old 03-08-2013, 07:55 PM   #1068
Swimnoid
DIS Veteran

Goal = 75

#26 Wild Fire--Nelson DeMille

Political intrigue...A very rich oil magnate convinces several of his highly place political friends that he has the answer to world peace and they organize an event to bring this about. That's a very cryptic description but to be more specific would give it away. I really liked it. The fiction is out there but at the same time very plausible which makes it a bit scary.

#27 The Christmas List--Richard Paul Evans

Sappy story about a man who has become rich by being ruthless in business. The story tells how his actions have hurt people and how he discovers he is hated and what he does about it. Overtones of the Christmas Carol in modern times. Even though it was sappy I liked it. I have been reading a lot of suspense thrillers and this was the total opposite and just what I needed for a change of pace.. It was a very quick read.
Swimnoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:20 PM   #1069
funkychunkymonkey
DIS Veteran

Intrerview with a jewish vampire
Actully pretty funny, especally after her mom is turned!!
a 4 star

This makes 30 for me
RIP:
guiedo (guiena pig) bluebeard
funkychunkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:18 PM   #1070
tinkerbellfan6880
pixie

Have read 15 out of 80 books so far for my goal this year. I am currently reading a biography on Carl Sagan the astronomer.

2014 Reading Challenge: 21 out of 100 books

2013 Reading Challenge Completed: 92 out of 80 books read!
tinkerbellfan6880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:32 AM   #1071
nemofans
DIS Veteran

Finished book #14: The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton

I read this b/c I read her book, The Forgotten Garden, & really enjoyed it. This book seemed to drag on some, but the ending was a great twist that I didn't see coming. I would recommend it.

Next books: A Reliable Wife (for book club) & Divergent (this was recommended to me by a fellow book club member & I see it's mentioned here as well)

I've been BOO'd!!

8/2000 Grosvenor Resort (got engaged!), 11/2005 DL PPH CL, 12/2006 Poly, 02/2008 AKL, 2/2010 CR CL, 2/2011 DCL Magic, 11/2011 DL GCH, 10/2012 AKL CL

2013 Book Challenge: 87 out of 75 GOAL MET!!
2014 Book Challenge: 45 out of 85
nemofans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:06 AM   #1072
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun

9/30 finished

A Mother's Trial by Nancy Wright (non-fiction)

It's about a mother who is put on trial for the death of one child and the near-death of another. Also deals with Munchausen-by-Proxy.

Lots of medical jargon, and the book kind of drug on and on. I wouldn't re-read it.

3/5 stars

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
BearcatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:18 AM   #1073
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatsFan View Post
9/30 finished

A Mother's Trial by Nancy Wright (non-fiction)

It's about a mother who is put on trial for the death of one child and the near-death of another. Also deals with Munchausen-by-Proxy.

Lots of medical jargon, and the book kind of drug on and on. I wouldn't re-read it.

3/5 stars
I'm about halfway through this book. The story is compelling but, I do agree that there's a ton of stuff in there that was/is just rambling. This was a "free" Kindle download for me and I rarely do free books for that very reason. They aren't all that well written and I just don't want to deal with that.

I will say, though, that is one of the better free books I've read. I had to give up on a few of them because the dialogue and sentence structure were just atrocious.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:38 AM   #1074
BearcatsFan
Soak up the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
I'm about halfway through this book. The story is compelling but, I do agree that there's a ton of stuff in there that was/is just rambling. This was a "free" Kindle download for me and I rarely do free books for that very reason. They aren't all that well written and I just don't want to deal with that.

I will say, though, that is one of the better free books I've read. I had to give up on a few of them because the dialogue and sentence structure were just atrocious.
I did the free Kindle download, also. Apparently it's a book that was written years ago and recently re-released.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts when you finish about the mother's guilt or innocence.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:37 PM   #1075
KrazyPete
skeleton

Goal - 24 books

Book #3 - The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman - I love this kind of highly imaginative and sort of morbid storytelling. Movies by Tim Burton never let me down and neither do books by Neil Gaiman.

Next up - Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis - This book had a profound influence on me 20 years ago. I just found it in the Nook store for $1.99. I'm interested to find out if it still rings true.
KrazyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:37 PM   #1076
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatsFan View Post
I did the free Kindle download, also. Apparently it's a book that was written years ago and recently re-released.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts when you finish about the mother's guilt or innocence.
Okay, so I finished the book (#8 for me: A Mother's Trial) and I'd have to say I'm about 90% sure the mother was guilty. That said, I believe that the author of the book believed she was guilty so the story was slanted in that direction; however, even without catching her in the act, to me the evidence was pretty compelling that she did it. To further convince me was her apparently health with the older foster lady. I then felt that when the baby went to her new adoptive parents, the new pediatrician really screwed up and caused some of the health issues.

I don't know if I am 100% *sure* of it but I don't really think there was anything in her favor.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95

Last edited by Christine; 03-09-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:01 PM   #1077
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

Just started book #17-"Death by Pantyhose" by Laura Levine. This is my second book by her, and I can tell already that I love it, just like her last. Her books make me laugh almost, but not quite, as hard as the books by Sophie Kinsella.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:56 PM   #1078
BearcatsFan
Soak up the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
Okay, so I finished the book (#8 for me: A Mother's Trial) and I'd have to say I'm about 90% sure the mother was guilty. That said, I believe that the author of the book believed she was guilty so the story was slanted in that direction; however, even without catching her in the act, to me the evidence was pretty compelling that she did it. To further convince me was her apparently health with the older foster lady. I then felt that when the baby went to her new adoptive parents, the new pediatrician really screwed up and caused some of the health issues.

I don't know if I am 100% *sure* of it but I don't really think there was anything in her favor.
We came to the same conclusion. I thought the author of the book must have been one of the doctors, maybe Sara (I can't remember the last name). The medical speak was so fluent.

I would have loved a follow-up of some kind - like a where-are-they-now, etc.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:28 PM   #1079
3smithboys
DIS Veteran

Finished book #8... Looking for Alaska by John Green.

This was his first book, and I thought it was pretty good. Not as good as The Fault in Our Stars, but I loved that book! Still, this kept me interested, and I wanted to keep reading - finished it quickly.
3smithboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:39 PM   #1080
Glynis
Taking applications for a WDW tour guide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyPete View Post
Goal - 24 books

Book #3 - The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman - I love this kind of highly imaginative and sort of morbid storytelling. Movies by Tim Burton never let me down and neither do books by Neil Gaiman.

Next up - Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis - This book had a profound influence on me 20 years ago. I just found it in the Nook store for $1.99. I'm interested to find out if it still rings true.
I loved "The Graveyard Book"! I loved the re-telling of "The Jungle Book". It was so clever!!!

2014 Reading Challenge Goal: 70 books

The Art of Racing in the Rain ~ The House of Hades ~ How To Be Like Walt ~ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows ~ The Seven Mouths of God ~ Behind the Beautiful Forevers ~ The Mysterious Affair at Styles ~ The Big 5-Oh ~ A Year in the Life of William Shakespeare ~ Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children ~ Wait Till Next Year ~ While We Were Watching Downton Abbey ~ Great Expectations ~ The Maze Runner ~ The Fault In Our Stars ~ The Juliet Club ~ The Girls' Guide to Love and Supper Clubs ~ The Power of One ~ The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat ~ Hollow City ~ The Fountainhead ~ Cat's Cradle ~ Speaking From Among The Bones ~ Death Comes to Pemberley ~ Quilt or Innocence ~ The Chocolate Thief ~ On Strike for Christmas ~ Bikini Season ~ Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker ~ Miss Dreamsville and the Collier County Women's Literary Society ~ Cinnamon Roll Murder ~ Red Velvet Cupcake Murder
Glynis is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: