Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #1051
portia9
DIS Veteran

Goal 100

Book #35 A Heart for Milton by Trudy Brasure

A continuation of Elizabeth Gaskell's North and South and fairly well done.

Book Challenge Goal for 2014-100 books

blueeyedboy~It Happened One Summer~Imperial Requiem~The Search for Anne Perry~A Sprig of Lavender~Pride and Prejudice:The Scenes Jane Austen Never Wrote~The Village Newcomers~The Mist on Bronte Moor~A Village in Jeopardy~The Next Best Thing~Village School~Life After Life~A Room of One's Own~The Rosie Project~Summertime~Cheaper By The Dozen~Belles on Their Toes~A Perfect Life~Kilmeny of the Orchard~The Real Life Mary Poppins~A Proud Taste of Scarlet and Miniver~Expectations of Happiness~The Last Wife of Henry VIII~Tempting Fate~The Rebuttal~A Storm of Swords~A Feast for Crows~A Dance of Dragons~Green Grass~Village Books~Searching for Shona~The Wonderful Wizard of Oz~The Marvelous Land of Oz~Ozma of Oz~The Maze Runner~The Devil Wears Prada~Captain Wentworth Home From the Sea~Mr Darcy's Great Escape~None But You~For You Alone~Tess of the D'urbervilles~The Pursuit of God~Is It Just Me?~Notes To My Mother-In-Law~
portia9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:12 PM   #1052
portia9
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigletsPal2 View Post
[/B]

Oooh, I'm the one who recommended this book, many posts ago! I do hope you enjoyed it and that you'll read Vols. 2-4! But if it wasn't your cup of tea, no worries; it's not for everyone.

Queen Colleen
I did like it. It was fascinating to see inside her thoughts. She was a grumpy one though and I did feel sorry for her husband at times

Book Challenge Goal for 2014-100 books

blueeyedboy~It Happened One Summer~Imperial Requiem~The Search for Anne Perry~A Sprig of Lavender~Pride and Prejudice:The Scenes Jane Austen Never Wrote~The Village Newcomers~The Mist on Bronte Moor~A Village in Jeopardy~The Next Best Thing~Village School~Life After Life~A Room of One's Own~The Rosie Project~Summertime~Cheaper By The Dozen~Belles on Their Toes~A Perfect Life~Kilmeny of the Orchard~The Real Life Mary Poppins~A Proud Taste of Scarlet and Miniver~Expectations of Happiness~The Last Wife of Henry VIII~Tempting Fate~The Rebuttal~A Storm of Swords~A Feast for Crows~A Dance of Dragons~Green Grass~Village Books~Searching for Shona~The Wonderful Wizard of Oz~The Marvelous Land of Oz~Ozma of Oz~The Maze Runner~The Devil Wears Prada~Captain Wentworth Home From the Sea~Mr Darcy's Great Escape~None But You~For You Alone~Tess of the D'urbervilles~The Pursuit of God~Is It Just Me?~Notes To My Mother-In-Law~
portia9 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-06-2013, 03:22 PM   #1053
RunningGirl
DIS Veteran

Well, I put aside The Lemon Tree as I had some ebooks on hold at the library come in. I've now completed #20 - Rituals of the Season by Margaret Maron (Book 11 in the Deborah Knott series). I really enjoy these books - good stories but easy reads.
RunningGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:32 PM   #1054
willowsnn3
Tagless but proud

Goal 72

#17 Touch & Go by Lisa Gardner

Absolutely the best book so far this year!! I love Lisa Gardner's books, she just can't write them as fast as I can read them, lol.

This is a story of a family of 3 kidnapped from their supposedly inpenetrable townhouse in Boston. Father had been having an affair but was trying to make amends to his wife who was trying to handle the news of the affair by taking prescription pain meds. Meanwhile 15 year old daughter has secrets of her own. Great book!!

Book Challenge Goal 32/72
willowsnn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:11 AM   #1055
WowLookAtThat
DIS Veteran

Book 19 Dear Zari: The Secret Lives of the Women of Afghanistan
by Zarghuna Kargar

Review: The book was fascinating and told the stories of the secret lives of Afghan women. The lives of these women are varied and there is so much heartbreak among the lives of the different women. One example is about a young mother who thought she was happy with her husband and daughter until an explosion took her leg. Thrown out of her home and barred from her child, the woman suffers but she survives. In a book about heartbreak, human suffering and anger the biggest message in Dear Zari is that despite everythig these women fought to survive.

This book was radically different for me because it is about a society that I know little about and so it was an eye-opener for me. Zari is a brave woman who shares her experiences and tells the story in a compassionate tone. I do suggest it for a different experience.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:37 AM   #1056
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

Goal: 52 books this year

#18 down and done.

The Brutal Telling by Louise Penny (yes, I'm back on that wagon!) Chaos is coming, old son. With those words, the peace of Three Pines is shattered. Everybody goes to Olivier's Bistro--including a stranger whose murdered body is found on the floor. When Chief Inspector Gamache is called to investigate, he is dismayed to discover that Olivier's story is full of holes.

Gamache follows a trail of clues and treasures--from first editions of Charlotte's Web and Jane Eyre to a spiderweb with a word mysteriously woven into it--into the woods and across the continent, before returning to Three Pines to confront the truth and the final, brutal telling.

Penny hits another home run with this novel and to put icing on the cake, Chapter One of her next book follows the ending of this one! No fair! I've gotta get to a bookstore!

Queen Colleen
PigletsPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:28 AM   #1057
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Island dreamer by amazon

With Island Dreamer, Christy is spending her sixteenth birthday in Hawaii with her entire family and her friend Paula. The beautiful weather, the gorgeous flowers-she can hardly believe her good fortune-especially when she discovers that her aunt and uncle have flown Todd out, too. What should be one of the happiest times of her life turns into disaster when Christy isn't the only one who is warmed by Todd's good looks. Paula is determined to win him over and Christy struggles not to let jealousy and fear overcome her love for her friend.

On to book 8 A heart full of hope

Last edited by tinkerbellandeeyor; 03-08-2013 at 09:54 AM.
tinkerbellandeeyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:37 AM   #1058
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowsnn3 View Post
Goal 72

#17 Touch & Go by Lisa Gardner

Absolutely the best book so far this year!! I love Lisa Gardner's books, she just can't write them as fast as I can read them, lol.

This is a story of a family of 3 kidnapped from their supposedly inpenetrable townhouse in Boston. Father had been having an affair but was trying to make amends to his wife who was trying to handle the news of the affair by taking prescription pain meds. Meanwhile 15 year old daughter has secrets of her own. Great book!!
Have added this one to my list. Thanks for the review!

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 A Mother's Hope

Currently reading: #14 Perfect People

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:09 PM   #1059
Caseheidi
DIS Veteran

Book 12 of 100

He'll Hounds are for Suckers by Jessica McBrayer

I gave this one 2 stars. It was a quick, quirky read that I got free on Amazon. Hannah is a Vampire living in San Francisco who is lonely. She discovers a young dog one night in the cemetery who won't leave her alone. She soon discovers that her dog is really a Hell Hound who belongs to a Deamon named Diel.

I found the story to be predictable and poorly written. If your looking for a bit of fluff, and like vampires then you might enjoy it.

DLR - Aug 1980, Aug 1985, May 1988, April 2002, Dec 2002, Dec 2004, Oct 2012

WDW - July/Aug 2001 (Honeymoon!), Oct 2004, Sept 2005, May 2006, Dec 2007, Dec 2008, Oct 2011
Caseheidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:20 PM   #1060
Caseheidi
DIS Veteran

Book 13 of 100

Breathe by Sarah Crossen

I gave this book 4 stars. Breathe is a YA Dystopian book. Not sure why, but I love this type of story. In Breathe, all the trees are gone, and society has killed the ocean, leaving Earth with only 6% oxygen. A corporation named Breathe found a way to make oxygen, and has created a pod for the survivors to live in while the planet recovers and produces enough oxygen to sustain life again. The resistance thinks that Breathe doesn't want the planet to recover, and is growing their own grove of trees to survive.
Quinn and Bea set out on a camping trip outside if the pod, when Alina begs for their help. Bea has loved her best friend Quinn for some time, but like most 16 yr old boys, he is oblivious. He is facinated by Alina and agrees to help her escape the pod. Quinn and Bea learn that life is not what they thought on their trip while Alina learns from them about caring for others.

I was hooked from the first chapter and really enjoyed this book.

DLR - Aug 1980, Aug 1985, May 1988, April 2002, Dec 2002, Dec 2004, Oct 2012

WDW - July/Aug 2001 (Honeymoon!), Oct 2004, Sept 2005, May 2006, Dec 2007, Dec 2008, Oct 2011
Caseheidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:29 PM   #1061
CaliBear
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glynis View Post
Goal - 50 books

Book #17 - "Life is So Good" by George Dawson and Richard Glaubman

George Dawson was born in 1898. As the grandson of slaves, he grew up his whole life hearing the stories, and learning how to deal with white people. His amazing life is chronicled in this book. By the time he was 16 there was finally a colored school in his hometown, but by then he was needed to work to help bring money to the family. So, he figured his opportunity to learn to read had passed him by. He tells us his views of the world as it progressed, decade by decade, throughout the twentieth century. The year he turned 98, he was invited to join some adult education classes, and so began his biggest thrill yet... learning to read. By the time the book ends, George is 101 and is reading on a 4th grade level. He's still attending school, and tells us that even though life isn't perfect, it is still so good!

I loved this book! I don't enjoy non-fiction much, but this was one compelling story! It was amazing to see major world events through his eyes. For example, World War I didn't really mean anything to the colored people. It was a white man's war. His people were simply trying to make a living. This was fascinating! I read it for book club, and now I can't wait to meet so we can discuss it!
This sounds great. Thanks! I wish the Kindle version wasn't so expensive.
Resort stays: DLR Grand Californian Jan 2011, HKDL Hollywood Hotel July 2011, WDW Wilderness Lodge Jan 2012, DLR Paradise Pier and MNSSHP Oct 2012, AKL Jan 2013, HKDL Hotel and Halloween party Oct 2013

2014 Book Challenge 1/30 read
1. David and Goliath 2. The Eye of the World 3. A Firing Offense 4. Fire from Heaven 5. The Gordonston Ladies Dog Walking Club 6. Orphan Train 7. A Most Peculiar Malaysian Murder 8. The Rosie Project 9. The New Centurions 10. The Black Echo 11. The Hall of Elders Crossing 12. Secrets of the Tudor Court

Currently reading: Al Capp: A Life to the Contrary by Denis Kitchen and Michael Schumacher
CaliBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:23 PM   #1062
zippitydoo
DIS Veteran

Book 11 of 30

Water For Elephants by Sara Gruen

2014 Book Challenge
Completed 23 of 50:
A Shade of Blood, A Castle of Sand, Takedown Twenty, Louisiana Longshot, Dirty Little Secrets, The One You Love, The One You Fear, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, A Shadow of Light, Hollow City, Room, The Barkeep, A Blaze of Sun, I Think I Love You, Broken, Body Movers, A Gate of Night
zippitydoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:53 AM   #1063
CaliBear
DIS Veteran

Goal: 40

Book 3: The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals by Michael Pollan

This non-fiction bestseller looks at food and how it is produced. He follows three food chains- industrial, pastoral, and personal- from beginning to end, resulting in four different meals: one from McDonalds, one big organic (Whole Foods and the like), one from a self-sustaining farm in Virginia, and one that he hunted and gathered himself.

I don't think I should give a rating for this book. It's on many Best Book lists and is obviously very well-written. I found parts of it very interesting, especially the section on organic food and learning how a sustainable farm like Polyface differs from large organic farms that create most of the organic food we see on the shelves at places like Whole Foods. But for the most part, the book just wasn't for me. I was bored for a lot of it and all the reviews that said it would change how I look at food were wrong, perhaps because the book is 6 years old and by now the cat's out of the bag about many of the issues it covers so I've already contemplated and made choices regarding, for example, corn-fed beef and high fructose corn syrup. If I rated it just for comparison's sake, I guess I'd at least give it 3 stars for the writing, or maybe 2.5 for too many pages devoted to mushroom foraging. But I know people who'd rate it a 5/5 stars, and sans mushrooms, I can see why it would appeal to non-fiction fans.

I'm reading Snodgrass Vacation now, and it hits the spot after a heavy non-fiction book. Thanks for the recommendation!
Resort stays: DLR Grand Californian Jan 2011, HKDL Hollywood Hotel July 2011, WDW Wilderness Lodge Jan 2012, DLR Paradise Pier and MNSSHP Oct 2012, AKL Jan 2013, HKDL Hotel and Halloween party Oct 2013

2014 Book Challenge 1/30 read
1. David and Goliath 2. The Eye of the World 3. A Firing Offense 4. Fire from Heaven 5. The Gordonston Ladies Dog Walking Club 6. Orphan Train 7. A Most Peculiar Malaysian Murder 8. The Rosie Project 9. The New Centurions 10. The Black Echo 11. The Hall of Elders Crossing 12. Secrets of the Tudor Court

Currently reading: Al Capp: A Life to the Contrary by Denis Kitchen and Michael Schumacher

Last edited by CaliBear; 03-08-2013 at 02:22 AM.
CaliBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:01 AM   #1064
Glynis
Taking applications for a WDW tour guide!

Goal - 50 books

Book #22 - "The Splendor of Silence" by Indu Sundaresan

I enjoyed this book quite a bit. This is the story of Olivia, a half Indian, half American girl. The story of her life. At times the story is turbulent and violent for it takes place during World War 2.

It was interesting to see the views of the British and the Indians, as the British regime was "losing" India, the jewel in their crown. I also really enjoyed the lush imagery the author used in describing India and the lifestyle.

Next up: "Oracle Bones."

2014 Reading Challenge Goal: 70 books

The Art of Racing in the Rain ~ The House of Hades ~ How To Be Like Walt ~ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows ~ The Seven Mouths of God ~ Behind the Beautiful Forevers ~ The Mysterious Affair at Styles ~ The Big 5-Oh ~ A Year in the Life of William Shakespeare ~ Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children ~ Wait Till Next Year ~ While We Were Watching Downton Abbey
Glynis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:20 PM   #1065
dizluvah
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseheidi View Post
Book 13 of 100

Breathe by Sarah Crossen

I gave this book 4 stars. Breathe is a YA Dystopian book. Not sure why, but I love this type of story. In Breathe, all the trees are gone, and society has killed the ocean, leaving Earth with only 6% oxygen. A corporation named Breathe found a way to make oxygen, and has created a pod for the survivors to live in while the planet recovers and produces enough oxygen to sustain life again. The resistance thinks that Breathe doesn't want the planet to recover, and is growing their own grove of trees to survive.
Quinn and Bea set out on a camping trip outside if the pod, when Alina begs for their help. Bea has loved her best friend Quinn for some time, but like most 16 yr old boys, he is oblivious. He is facinated by Alina and agrees to help her escape the pod. Quinn and Bea learn that life is not what they thought on their trip while Alina learns from them about caring for others.

I was hooked from the first chapter and really enjoyed this book.
Thanks for the review - I am adding this to my list

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: