Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 09:27 AM   #1036
dizluvah
DIS Veteran

I finished Book 25 Delirium by Lauren Oliver - I love a good YA lovestory gave it 4 stars and I am anxiously awaiting reading the 2nd book (I'm on the library wait list).

I finished Book 26 The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (I started this as book 25 but it is quite heavy - being set in Nazi Germany; so I took a break and read Delirium in the middle). This is a wonderful book, I definitely enjoy light reading, which this is not but it was heartfelt, touching and thought-provoking about the power of individual relationships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dismom301930 View Post
Next up:
Divergent (YA book that my DD12 really wants me to read) http://www.amazon.com/Divergent-Book...ords=dviergent
The Round House http://www.amazon.com/Round-House-Lo...ds=round+house
I loved Divergent and immediately had to read Insurgent right after! Hope you enjoy it.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:01 AM   #1037
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggrbaby View Post
Probably too late for your library run, but this past summer I read Forward From Here: Leaving Middle Age and Other Unexpected Adventures by Reeve Lindbergh (yes, daughter of). I enjoyed immensely!
I think I'll try to find that one, although I left middle age many years ago (I'm 66 y.o.!) Thanks for the recommendation.

Queen Colleen
PigletsPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-05-2013, 10:12 AM   #1038
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

Quote:
Originally Posted by portia9 View Post
Haven't updated for a while.

Goal 100

#31 The Distant Hours by Kate Morton-very enjoyable.
#32 The Twelve Tribes of Hattie- didn't love the storyline but I did like the writing. It's the writer's first novel and I would read her again
#33 Defending Jacob-good courtroom drama
#34 WWW11 Diary Volume 1 by Ruby Side Thompson-recommended on this thread.

Oooh, I'm the one who recommended this book, many posts ago! I do hope you enjoyed it and that you'll read Vols. 2-4! But if it wasn't your cup of tea, no worries; it's not for everyone.

Queen Colleen
Old 03-05-2013, 10:15 AM   #1039
dismom301930
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I loved Divergent and immediately had to read Insurgent right after! Hope you enjoy it.
Thanks! I'm looking forward to it. I have heard great things about it.
dismom301930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:16 AM   #1040
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizluvah View Post
I finished Book 25 Delirium by Lauren Oliver - I love a good YA lovestory gave it 4 stars and I am anxiously awaiting reading the 2nd book (I'm on the library wait list).
I didn't enjoy the second one as much as the first... but it was still good. And it has a crazy cliffhanger that will make you scream for the third one.
Ginny Favers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:23 AM   #1041
Cogswel_Cogs
DIS Veteran

This is the last day that I could gift copies away(Kindle), as I am raising prices and it would be to costly to do so afterward.
If anyone is interested please let me know.

You can see reviews for at Goodreads or Amazon.

Cemetery Girl by J Cognard(there are two)
Three Twigs for the Campfire

You can see reviews for them at Goodreads or Amazon.

Last edited by Cogswel_Cogs; 03-05-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Cogswel_Cogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:18 PM   #1042
Kewz1
DIS Veteran

Finished book 5/24 the other day!

New York by Edward Rutherfurd - I enjoyed it but I have enjoyed all his books like this. Here's the info from bn.com:

Edward Rutherfurd celebrates America’s greatest city in a rich, engrossing saga, weaving together tales of families rich and poor, native-born and immigrant—a cast of fictional and true characters whose fates rise and fall and rise again with the city’s fortunes. From this intimate perspective we see New York’s humble beginnings as a tiny Indian fishing village, the arrival of Dutch and British merchants, the Revolutionary War, the emergence of the city as a great trading and financial center, the convulsions of the Civil War, the excesses of the Gilded Age, the explosion of immigration in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, the trials of World War II, the near demise of New York in the 1970s and its roaring rebirth in the 1990s, and the attack on the World Trade Center. A stirring mix of battle, romance, family struggles, and personal triumphs, New York: The Novel gloriously captures the search for freedom and opportunity at the heart of our nation’s history.

I picked up The Other Boleyn Girl by Philipa Gregory from B&N for about $4 yesterday. It's a bit longer than what I was looking for after reading the one above but here I go anyways...

Kristen
Disney 5K:2003
DCL:2000 (Wonder/Bahamas), 2008 (Magic/W. Caribbean), 2011 (Dream/Bahamas), 2013 (Magic/EB Transatlantic), 2014 (Dream/Mexico)... and now May 2015 (Dream/Bahamas)!

Kewz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:02 PM   #1043
DisneyMommyMichelle
I'm a TP nerd!
John Travolta = YUMMY!!
Have to let the banana dance
Thanks everyone for making me feel normal today!
Dork here I know!

It's SNOWING like crazy here today, a perfect day for curling in front of the fire with a book all day!!

Just a Rebel Homeschooler I guess....
DisneyMommyMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:32 PM   #1044
wvjules
DIS Veteran

I just finished #11 - Into the Darkest Corner.

Next up is Before I Go to Sleep.
wvjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:47 PM   #1045
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewz1 View Post
Finished book 5/24 the other day!

New York by Edward Rutherfurd - I enjoyed it but I have enjoyed all his books like this. Here's the info from bn.com:

Edward Rutherfurd celebrates America’s greatest city in a rich, engrossing saga, weaving together tales of families rich and poor, native-born and immigrant—a cast of fictional and true characters whose fates rise and fall and rise again with the city’s fortunes. From this intimate perspective we see New York’s humble beginnings as a tiny Indian fishing village, the arrival of Dutch and British merchants, the Revolutionary War, the emergence of the city as a great trading and financial center, the convulsions of the Civil War, the excesses of the Gilded Age, the explosion of immigration in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, the trials of World War II, the near demise of New York in the 1970s and its roaring rebirth in the 1990s, and the attack on the World Trade Center. A stirring mix of battle, romance, family struggles, and personal triumphs, New York: The Novel gloriously captures the search for freedom and opportunity at the heart of our nation’s history.

I picked up The Other Boleyn Girl by Philipa Gregory from B&N for about $4 yesterday. It's a bit longer than what I was looking for after reading the one above but here I go anyways...

Kristen
I've read The Other Boleyn Girl, but New York sounds right up my alley! Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:54 PM   #1046
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Pluto View Post
I'd love to join! My goal for 2013 is 25 books!!

Currently reading The Hobbit.
Welcome!! So glad you could join us! I've added you to the list!

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife, #16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker, #26 Rainshadow Road, #27 The Art of Hearing Heartbeats, #28 Little Bee, #29 The Art Forger, #30 One Plus One, #31 Double Whammy, #32 The Girl You Left Behind, #33 Orphan Train, #34 Big Little Lies, #35 The Good Girl, #36 The Girl with All the Gifts, #37 Outlander, #38 Lucid, #39 You, #40 Dragonfly in Amber

Currently reading: #41 Voyager

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:30 PM   #1047
tiggrbaby
We must work harder to stay under the radar for this oneWe always bring our own inflatable noodle

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigletsPal2 View Post
I think I'll try to find that one, although I left middle age many years ago (I'm 66 y.o.!) Thanks for the recommendation.

Queen Colleen
Believe it or not, she was talking about turning 60! But many of her observations apply to any changes in life.

DISboards 2104 Book Challenge: 40/40
DISboards 2013 Book Challenge: 36/35
tiggrbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:14 PM   #1048
Swimnoid
DIS Veteran

25 of 75

Magic Street--Orson Scott Card

From Card's website (hatrack.com)

"In a peaceful, prosperous African American neighborhood in Los Angeles, Mack Street is a mystery child who has somehow found a home . Discovered abandoned in an overgrown park, raised by a blunt-speaking single woman, Mack comes and goes from family to family -- a boy who is at once surrounded by boisterous characters and deeply alone. But while Mack senses that he is different from most, and knows that he has strange powers, he cannot understand how unusual he is until the day he sees, in a thin slice of space, a narrow house. Beyond it is a backyard -- and an entryway into an extraordinary world stretching off into an exotic distance of geography, history, and magic.

Passing through the skinny house that no one else can see, Mack is plunged into a realm where time and reality are skewed, a place where what Mack does seems to have strange effects on the "real world" of concrete, cars, commerce, and conflict. Growing into a tall, powerful young man, pursuing a forbidden relationship, and using Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream as a guide into the vast, timeless fantasy world, Mack becomes a player in an epic drama. Understanding this drama is Mack's challenge. His reward, if he can survive the trip, is discovering not only who he really is . . . but why he exists.

Both a novel of constantly surprising entertainment and a tale of breathtaking literary power, Magic Street is a masterwork from a supremely gifted, utterly original American writer -- a novel that uses realism and fantasy to delight, challenge, and satisfy on the most profound levels."

Card writes on a lot of different subjects. Some of his books I love and some not so much. This was a really good one. Although at times in the middle it would get kind of boggy.
Swimnoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:10 PM   #1049
pansmermaidzlagoon
Mickey asks that you not advise screwing things into his head

I highly recommend today's NOOK deal, "Running for my Life" by Lopez Lomong for $2.99.

Lopez was a Lost Boy from the Sudan whose dream was to run in the Olympics. Thanks, in part, to being adopted by American parents, Lopez was able to fulfill his dream. Just this week, Lopez broke the American record for the indoor 5000 meter!

The book is great for runners or just anyone interested in a great inspirational and uplifting story. I can't begin to tell you what an amazing individual Lopez is, and his story is as amazing as the individual!!!!

Enjoy!
'11 WONDER Alaska Cruise: '13 WILDERNESS LODGE
pansmermaidzlagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:20 PM   #1050
RunningGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pansmermaidzlagoon View Post
I highly recommend today's NOOK deal, "Running for my Life" by Lopez Lomong for $2.99.

Lopez was a Lost Boy from the Sudan whose dream was to run in the Olympics. Thanks, in part, to being adopted by American parents, Lopez was able to fulfill his dream. Just this week, Lopez broke the American record for the indoor 5000 meter!

The book is great for runners or just anyone interested in a great inspirational and uplifting story. I can't begin to tell you what an amazing individual Lopez is, and his story is as amazing as the individual!!!!

Enjoy!
Thanks for the recommendation! I've downloaded it, but I just got 2 library ebooks that I was waitlisted for, so it will be a while before I get to it.
RunningGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: