Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 06:02 AM   #91
Cogswel_Cogs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychunkymonkey View Post
Where do you all find decent free e books to read? Im really not into reading all the classics right now. romace or mystery would be good, help?
What devise do you have?
There are alot of good sites on Facebook.
Search Kindle promo in Facebook if you have Kindle.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:48 AM   #92
scooby9932
I Loves Me Some Disney!

I would love to join! Put me down for 65. Last year I read 113 but I was home recuperating from 2 surgeries so I think I'll lower that number this year.

I've just finished 2 in the last day. Books 3 & 4 of The Dulcie O'Neill series. Very engaging and an easy read if you like fantasy/paranormal romance novels.

Ereaders rock! Im a huge bookworm and love the real thing but my Kindle makes any downtime book time.

Next book I'm starting: Blackberry Winter by Sarah Jio

Cast of Characters: Me (44), DH (Disboard Name toklotursa)(50), DD (25), DGD (born 10/9/13) and our fur babies, Rufus (shih tzu) & Jasper (yorkie) & Hudson (moose sized mutt)

1971, 1978, 1983, 1987, 1989 DD's 1st Trip, 1997, 2000, 2002, 2007 POR-DD's Senior Trip, 2008 POR, 2009 POLY, May 2010 POR, May 2011 POLY, May 2012 CSR, Dec 2012 CSR, May 2013 OKW, May 2014 OKW

UPCOMING: May 2014 -OKW
scooby9932 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-02-2013, 09:20 AM   #93
ebtbmom
DIS Veteran

I'll play! Ever since I got my iPhone I read less and that's sad. I'll go for 15, any book will count right? We're not being book snobs?
11/2004 1st trip, ASM,11/2006 2nd trip, POP,6/2008 day trip DLR,11/2008 3rd trip, POP,1/2010 DLR at DLH!,1/2011 1st solo POFQ, 11/2011 POR, 3/2012 B-day trip! 10/2012 POP, 6/2013 day trip DLP 11/2013 POP 2/2014 CSR 2nd solo!

ebtbmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:05 AM   #94
phorsenuf
Not so New Rule author on the DISSome discuss it calmly and some ...
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

I'm in. My goal will be 26. That's only one book every two weeks so I should be able to hit that. Just got Under the Dome so that will be book number one. After that, not sure.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:48 AM   #95
Kathi OD
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the nevermind we know what was thereRedhead
Guess what - Doesn't like the cheese soup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebtbmom View Post
I'll play! Ever since I got my iPhone I read less and that's sad. I'll go for 15, any book will count right? We're not being book snobs?
I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not. Read big books, little books, picture books for all I care. It's your goal, who am I to tell you how to reach it?

"The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles, but to irrigate deserts." -- C. S. Lewis
Kathi OD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:12 AM   #96
diznee25
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychunkymonkey View Post
Where do you all find decent free e books to read? Im really not into reading all the classics right now. romace or mystery would be good, help?
My DH gets free e-books all the time, and we have Nooks. He says he just searches for the title he wants....there's no specific website he goes to. He's only ever bought e-books when I get him gift card. Otherwise he just downloads for free.

I can help you with how to get cheap(er) books if you have a Nook. Go to B&N website. Click on 'Nook Books'. Under there are 3 categories: Nook Snaps, Nook Daily Find, and Nook Books Under $5. All three areas have books, some as low as .99 cents! And this is how I get my books.

diznee25
Old 01-02-2013, 11:17 AM   #97
Glynis
Taking applications for a WDW tour guide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathi OD View Post
Glynis, on the right side of your Goodreads home page, just under where it says "my profile" is another area that says "2013 reading challenge." There it asks you how many books you plan to read for the year. Then every time you mark a book as read, it adds it. It will let you know if you are on track to complete your goal.

If you didn't do it for 2012, I'm not sure how you would do it now.
Thanks! I did that!! I didn't do it for 2012, but I did find a "stats" button that shows how many I've read in the last 3 or 4 years. So, I'm all set!!! Let the reading (and the fun times) begin!

2014 Reading Challenge Goal: 70 books

The Art of Racing in the Rain ~ The House of Hades ~ How To Be Like Walt ~ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows ~ The Seven Mouths of God ~ Behind the Beautiful Forevers ~ The Mysterious Affair at Styles ~ The Big 5-Oh ~ A Year in the Life of William Shakespeare ~ Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children ~ Wait Till Next Year ~ While We Were Watching Downton Abbey ~ Great Expectations ~ The Maze Runner ~ The Fault In Our Stars ~ The Juliet Club ~ The Girls' Guide to Love and Supper Clubs ~ The Power of One ~ The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat ~ Hollow City ~ The Fountainhead ~ Cat's Cradle ~ Speaking From Among The Bones ~ Death Comes to Pemberley ~ Quilt or Innocence ~ The Chocolate Thief ~ On Strike for Christmas ~ Bikini Season ~ Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker ~ Miss Dreamsville and the Collier County Women's Literary Society ~ Cinnamon Roll Murder ~ Red Velvet Cupcake Murder ~ Blackberry Pie Murder ~ Home To Holly Springs ~ In The Company of Others ~ The Devil in the White City ~ Gathering Blue ~ Messenger ~ The Bell Jar ~ The Boys in the Boat ~ The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches ~ Son ~ Beach Colors ~ Welcome to Last Chance ~ Last Chance Beauty Queen ~ Last Chance Knit and Stitch ~ The World According to Garp
Glynis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:19 AM   #98
Glynis
Taking applications for a WDW tour guide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathi OD View Post
I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not. Read big books, little books, picture books for all I care. It's your goal, who am I to tell you how to reach it?
I'm with Kathi! As long as you are reading, who's to judge what's a "real" book?!? Good luck everyone!

2014 Reading Challenge Goal: 70 books

The Art of Racing in the Rain ~ The House of Hades ~ How To Be Like Walt ~ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows ~ The Seven Mouths of God ~ Behind the Beautiful Forevers ~ The Mysterious Affair at Styles ~ The Big 5-Oh ~ A Year in the Life of William Shakespeare ~ Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children ~ Wait Till Next Year ~ While We Were Watching Downton Abbey ~ Great Expectations ~ The Maze Runner ~ The Fault In Our Stars ~ The Juliet Club ~ The Girls' Guide to Love and Supper Clubs ~ The Power of One ~ The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat ~ Hollow City ~ The Fountainhead ~ Cat's Cradle ~ Speaking From Among The Bones ~ Death Comes to Pemberley ~ Quilt or Innocence ~ The Chocolate Thief ~ On Strike for Christmas ~ Bikini Season ~ Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker ~ Miss Dreamsville and the Collier County Women's Literary Society ~ Cinnamon Roll Murder ~ Red Velvet Cupcake Murder ~ Blackberry Pie Murder ~ Home To Holly Springs ~ In The Company of Others ~ The Devil in the White City ~ Gathering Blue ~ Messenger ~ The Bell Jar ~ The Boys in the Boat ~ The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches ~ Son ~ Beach Colors ~ Welcome to Last Chance ~ Last Chance Beauty Queen ~ Last Chance Knit and Stitch ~ The World According to Garp
Glynis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:28 AM   #99
TheIncredibles!
Winner (?) of the Crazy MIL Award!

Would love to join. No goal because I couldn't possible read more than I do. I average well over 25 books per month.... LMAO! Nope not a typo I have 1100 books in my Kindle archive and have had it for just under 3 years

I love all kinds of books, smutty romance, military romance, military non romance. Whatever.

If anybody is looking for ideas one of my favorite authors is Matthew Riley. More of a "mans" type of book but very good. He has some books that are along a modern day Indiana Jones type and a series that is Military/Political. He hasn't had anything new out recently because of a personal tragedy but I just cannot get enough of his books.

If anybody has any book recommendations I'd love it. I LOVE series books. Not keen on historicals of any kind but that is pretty much my only restriction.
TheIncredibles! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:31 PM   #100
mfd25wife
DIS Veteran

Joining the challenge. I'm going for 26, hoping for more, but 26 sounds reasonable. . Mockingjay is the first.

Last edited by mfd25wife; 01-02-2013 at 10:28 PM.
mfd25wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:52 PM   #101
CourtasanSatine
I'm partial to the 4th seaters
Has a crush on James Marsden
I'm a Trendy in a Preppy family

Just finished the TWD Survivors Guide so one down with 49 books to go!

Come and get me boys: Satine

"For Justice!" "For Kibbles!"

"Or maybe its the plumbing!"

CourtasanSatine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:59 PM   #102
fireworks fan
Mouseketeer

I would like to join too I'll try for 52 books too. My first book is to reread the Great Gatsby for my book club.

This sounds like fun. I would like to have a way to track my books.

Thanks!
fireworks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:15 PM   #103
hulagirl87
DIS Veteran

I just read Drama. A graphic novel by Raina Telgemeier. She is an awesome artist and it was a fun read.

me DH DD and DS
hulagirl87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:52 PM   #104
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

I've updated the first post up to this point. Please let me know if I've missed your name or recorded your book goal # wrong.

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife,#16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker, #26 Rainshadow Road, #27 The Art of Hearing Heartbeats,#28 Little Bee,#29 The Art Forger, #30 One Plus One, #31 Double Whammy

Currently reading: #32 The Girl You Left Behind

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:03 PM   #105
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glynis View Post
I'm in!!! I love to read, so this will be fun! I've gotten so many wonderful recommendations from the DIS, that I know this will be a great group of people to bond with over books! Kind of like a long distance book club!

I'll set my goal at 50 books. I'm starting with Unbroken, which I've wanted to read for a long time, but never got around to reading. Very excited!!!

Once we're done with a book, are we coming back here to report? How will this work?

Off to read the rest of the thread, to see what everyone else is doing!
Hmmm I guess it's up to the individual poster how they'd like to keep track. Personally, I'd like to see book titles rather than just "finished #3!"

I'm not sure yet if I'll just keep updating my one post as I go along or if I'll create a new post with each book....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glynis View Post
I'm on Goodreads, user name is the same as on the DIS, if anyone wants to friend me.
Friended!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friend of a Mouse View Post
I'm in! I read pretty quickly so I will set that number at 52. I am most excited about the Graceling series my mother loaned me, the new Oatricia Briggs book Frost Burned, Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare, the last Sookie Stackhouse, and 24 Hours That Changed the World by Adam Hamilton. My biggest goal is to read the Bible this year.
And does that count as 66 books then???

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby9932 View Post
I would love to join! Put me down for 65. Last year I read 113 but I was home recuperating from 2 surgeries so I think I'll lower that number this year.

I've just finished 2 in the last day. Books 3 & 4 of The Dulcie O'Neill series. Very engaging and an easy read if you like fantasy/paranormal romance novels.

Ereaders rock! Im a huge bookworm and love the real thing but my Kindle makes any downtime book time.

Next book I'm starting: Blackberry Winter by Sarah Jio
You just read 2 books in ONE DAY???

Gosh I am SO envious of some of you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebtbmom View Post
No book snobs here! Read WHATEVER you want! A book is a book is a book.

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife,#16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker, #26 Rainshadow Road, #27 The Art of Hearing Heartbeats,#28 Little Bee,#29 The Art Forger, #30 One Plus One, #31 Double Whammy

Currently reading: #32 The Girl You Left Behind

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: