Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2013, 10:45 AM   #991
runsandjumps
DIS Veteran

I know I have finished at least 8 books. Three historical settings, two paranormal books and more to go.
runsandjumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:53 AM   #992
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizluvah View Post
I would go to your "read" list on goodreads and make sure the "date read" field is filled in for the book that is missing. You just click the edit button under the
date read" field. That is my only suggestion to get goodreads to recognize the book you finished.
And I'd also suggest just to make sure that all your "date read" fields are marked as 2013 otherwise obviously they won't get counted in this year's challenge.

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife, #16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker, #26 Rainshadow Road, #27 The Art of Hearing Heartbeats, #28 Little Bee, #29 The Art Forger, #30 One Plus One, #31 Double Whammy, #32 The Girl You Left Behind, #33 Orphan Train, #34 Big Little Lies, #35 The Good Girl, #36 The Girl with All the Gifts, #37 Outlander, #38 Lucid, #39 You, #40 Dragonfly in Amber

Currently reading: #41 Voyager

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-01-2013, 10:55 AM   #993
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

I haven't been around much, but have been keeping up with everyone's posts.

I'm in the midst of reading Ken Follett's Fall of Giants. I've been reading it now for over a week and am only 290 pages in, so it'll be a while before I finish this book. Enjoying it though!! I love Ken Follett!

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife, #16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker, #26 Rainshadow Road, #27 The Art of Hearing Heartbeats, #28 Little Bee, #29 The Art Forger, #30 One Plus One, #31 Double Whammy, #32 The Girl You Left Behind, #33 Orphan Train, #34 Big Little Lies, #35 The Good Girl, #36 The Girl with All the Gifts, #37 Outlander, #38 Lucid, #39 You, #40 Dragonfly in Amber

Currently reading: #41 Voyager

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:26 PM   #994
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

Quote:
I would go to your "read" list on goodreads and make sure the "date read" field is filled in for the book that is missing. You just click the edit button under the
date read" field. That is my only suggestion to get goodreads to recognize the book you finished.
Thanks-I thought I did that, but I'll do that again very carefully. Who knows-that might be it! I know that at work, someone had typed "2103" instead of "2013" and we had all kinds of problems as a result. Even when we were told that the date was wrong, it took us several long looks to find the error.

Almost done with "1225 Christmas Tree Lane". If you didn't read many of the Cedar Cove books, it may not be too enjoyable, as this story tends to wrap up a bunch of storylines from previous books. Now I have a great dilema-what to read next. I can't decide between "Stairlift to Heaven", "Mr. Right and Other Mongrels", or "Killing Bridezilla".
Old 03-01-2013, 03:43 PM   #995
dizluvah
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimnoid View Post
23 of 75

The Lions of Lucerne by Brad Thor

From Goodreads: On the snow-covered slopes of Utah, the President of the United States has been kidnapped and his Secret Service detail massacred. Only one agent has survived -- ex-Navy SEAL Scot Harvath. He doesn't buy the official line that Middle Eastern terrorists are behind the attack and begins his own campaign to find the truth and exact revenge.

Very good thriller with lots of action and likable characters. I cant believe how lucky this guy is dodging millions of bullets!
Oh I love Brad Thor and have read all the Scot Harvath books published to date. Black List (which I think is Scot Harvath #11) was my ultimate favorite!

Have you read any Vince Flynn? His Mitch Rapp series is similar to Thor's Harvath books.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:58 PM   #996
Swimnoid
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Oh I love Brad Thor and have read all the Scot Harvath books published to date. Black List (which I think is Scot Harvath #11) was my ultimate favorite!

Have you read any Vince Flynn? His Mitch Rapp series is similar to Thor's Harvath books.
I read Black List first and loved it so I had to go back and start the series.

I'm going to put Vince Flynn on my list! Thanks!
Swimnoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:38 PM   #997
nemofans
DIS Veteran

Finished book #13- The Enchantress: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel by Michael Scott

This is the final book in the series. I enjoyed the way he ended the series w/2 major battles & a few twists. This is a great series for young adults w/lots of excitement, but it also teaches some history & mythology.

Next book: The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton

8/2000 WDW Grosvenor Resort (got engaged!), 11/2005 DL PPH CL, 12/2006 WDW Poly, 02/2008 WDW AKL, 2/2010 WDW CR CL, 2/2011 DCL Magic, 11/2011 DL GCH, 10/2012 WDW AKL CL

2013 Book Challenge: 87 out of 75 GOAL MET!!
2014 Book Challenge: 92 out of 85 GOAL MET!!
nemofans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:25 AM   #998
Cogswel_Cogs
DIS Veteran

Book # 3
The Great Gatsby
I never read it before, so I figured I might as well read it before it comes out in the movie. Shocked how short it was.
Cogswel_Cogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:08 PM   #999
CaliBear
DIS Veteran

Goal 40

I am so behind! I've had a full plate for two months, but I'm getting more time to read these days, thankfully. Despite the busyness, I've managed to read about 40 pages of this thread and I plan to catch up on the rest because I got some great suggestions from here so far!

Book 1: The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business by Charles Duhigg

Apparently both Financial Times and Wall Street Journal considered this a best book of 2012. I thought it was just ok, 3 stars. His main premise is that habits are the result of triggers and reinforced by rewards. He then gives numerous assorted examples of how this process works, both in good and bad ways and both in people's personal and business lives. The examples are all fairly interesting, but there's nothing groundbreaking about his main point. I don't really get the hype for this one, but it was ok.

Book 2: When We Were Strangers by Pamela Schoenewaldt

This is a fiction book set in 19th century Italy and America. It follows Irma, an Italian girl who travels to the US from her small village and finds work as a garment-maker, eventually working for a dressmaker for fine ladies. I don't want to give too much away in case others read it, but it follows her life for many years after she arrives in the US, through all of life's ups and downs. At times it does seem like many more bad times than good for the heroine, bordering on too much, but I enjoyed the writing and the strong female friendships. I think 4 stars might be a bit too high for it, but it's better than just ok so I will give 3 and a half stars.
CaliBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:30 PM   #1000
RunningGirl
DIS Veteran

17 - Brother Odd by Dean Koontz. Book 3 of the series. A good series, but not one that leads me straight from one book to the next.

18 - Defending Jacob by William Landay. Good book that kept me turning the pages.

19 - Still With Me by Thierry Cohen. Since I don't think it's been discussed here yet, here's the synopsis:

Since its initial publication in France, Still with Me has been published in 15 countries. The book won France’s Grand Prix Jean d’Ormesson in 2007.
Jeremy takes his life on his twentieth birthday after childhood friend Victoria rejects his love.

On his twenty-first birthday, he wakes up.

Victoria is at his side, blissfully in love with him. While Jeremy can’t remember the previous year, he savors the miracle of waking up alongside the woman he loves.

The next time he wakes, another year has passed and he finds himself a spectator of his own life. Victoria now carries his child, but the man alongside her is a disturbingly different person—a cruel, egotistical, seemingly unknowable Jeremy. Is it amnesia? Insanity? Or has the God Jeremy defied with his selfish act now cursed him?

This strange and beautiful novel tells the tale of a man lost between life and death, but connected by the love—as friend, lover, son, and father—given and taken over the course of a lifetime, a love that simply won’t let go.
I enjoyed this book once I got into it. But I love books that play with time travel and things like that.

I'm now reading 20 which is The Lemon Tree by Sandy Tolan. I put this on my list after reading Mornings in Jenin.
RunningGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:34 PM   #1001
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

Goal: 52 books this year

I'm in the middle of #16, French Women for All
Seasons
by Mireille Guilino, the writer of French Women Don't Get Fat.
It's OK, nothing I don't already know.

My reward for finishing this book is that I get to read a new Louise Penny novel!

OK, back to my book, but it doesn't have my full attention - the MD/Wake Forest basketbball game is on. Right now MD leads 61-55, but there are six minutes left in the game, and anything can happen! OK, back to the book.

Queen Colleen

Queen Colleen
PigletsPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:37 PM   #1002
Cogswel_Cogs
DIS Veteran

If anyone is interested, I can gift a couple of Kindle versions of either one of my books. would love the feedback.
Three Twigs for the Campfire or Cemetery Girl, you can check them out at Goodreads.
Just private message me if you are interested.
Cogswel_Cogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:52 PM   #1003
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningGirl View Post
19 - Still With Me by Thierry Cohen. Since I don't think it's been discussed here yet, here's the synopsis:

Since its initial publication in France, Still with Me has been published in 15 countries. The book won France’s Grand Prix Jean d’Ormesson in 2007.
Jeremy takes his life on his twentieth birthday after childhood friend Victoria rejects his love.

On his twenty-first birthday, he wakes up.

Victoria is at his side, blissfully in love with him. While Jeremy can’t remember the previous year, he savors the miracle of waking up alongside the woman he loves.

The next time he wakes, another year has passed and he finds himself a spectator of his own life. Victoria now carries his child, but the man alongside her is a disturbingly different person—a cruel, egotistical, seemingly unknowable Jeremy. Is it amnesia? Insanity? Or has the God Jeremy defied with his selfish act now cursed him?

This strange and beautiful novel tells the tale of a man lost between life and death, but connected by the love—as friend, lover, son, and father—given and taken over the course of a lifetime, a love that simply won’t let go.
I enjoyed this book once I got into it. But I love books that play with time travel and things like that.
This one looks interesting. Unfortunately, my library doesn't carry it. Checked Amazon and I see it's free on Kindle for Prime members (I'm not). Darn it.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:58 PM   #1004
RunningGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
This one looks interesting. Unfortunately, my library doesn't carry it. Checked Amazon and I see it's free on Kindle for Prime members (I'm not). Darn it.
It was the daily deal a couple days ago, so I got it for a couple dollars.
RunningGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:28 PM   #1005
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningGirl View Post
It was the daily deal a couple days ago, so I got it for a couple dollars.
It is only $4.99 right now but I try my best not to pay for books unless I hear that are truly outstanding. I'm just weird that way.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: