Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 07:48 AM   #976
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it

Book #11 of 50: The Bucolic Plague:

Michael Perry (Coop, Truck: A Love Story) meets David Sedaris (Me Talk Pretty One Day, Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim) in this follow-up to Josh Kilmer-Purcell’s beloved New York Times bestselling debut memoir, I Am Not Myself These Days—another riotous, moving, and entirely unique story of his attempt to tackle the next phase of life with his partner… on a goat farm in upstate New York.

This was a pretty funny memoir about two Manhattanites becoming gentleman farmers-- I've always had the idea in the back of my mind of getting away from the rat-race and owning a farm, so I found this very interesting.
Ginny Favers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:27 AM   #977
Angiea1114
Mouseketeer

Goal 15

#4. Ring of Lies by Victoria Howard

A quick read involving romance, crime and mystery. Gave this 4.5/5, just because it was too easy to figure some of the events that would happen at the end.

Still trying to figure out #5
Angiea1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-27-2013, 08:37 AM   #978
dizluvah
DIS Veteran

Book 24 finished The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest by Stieg Larrson

This is the third in the trilogy and i did not enjoy it - I was excited to read it to find out all Salander's secrets and have things from the first two books explained but overall I was disappointed. This book had way to much background information about the Swedish security police and I found it a chore to slog through. I gave it 2 stars (I loved the first book - gave it 4 stars)

Next up for me: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Old 02-27-2013, 09:56 AM   #979
nemofans
DIS Veteran

Finished book #12- The Warlock: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel by Michael Scott

This is book 5 of the series. This one is more preparation for the big battle in the final book.

Next is the final book of this series - The Enchantress

8/2000 Grosvenor Resort (got engaged!), 11/2005 DL PPH CL, 12/2006 Poly, 02/2008 AKL, 2/2010 CR CL, 2/2011 DCL Magic, 11/2011 DL GCH, 10/2012 AKL CL

2013 Book Challenge: 87 out of 75 GOAL MET!!
2014 Book Challenge: 79 out of 85
nemofans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:42 AM   #980
Caseheidi
DIS Veteran

Book 11 of 100

J.D. Robb's Calculated in Death (#36 In Death series)

From Good Reads:
On Manhattan's Upper East Side a woman lies dead at the bottom of the stairs, stripped of all her valuables. Most cops might call it a mugging gone wrong, but Lieutenant Eve Dallas knows better.

A well-off accountant and a beloved wife and mother, Marta Dickenson doesn't seem the type to be on anyone's hit list. But when Eve and her partner, Peabody, find blood inside the building, the lieutenant knows Marta's murder was the work of a killer who's trained, but not professional or smart enough to remove all the evidence.

But when someone steals the files out of Marta's office, Eve must immerse herself in her billionaire husband Roarke's world of big business to figure out who's cruel and callous enough to hire a hit on an innocent woman. And as the killer's violent streak begins to escalate, Eve knows she has to draw him out, even if it means using herself as bait. . .

This is one of the series that I can't wait for the next book. As how this book was, it was good, but not one of the best in the series. What I love about this write (Nora Roberts) is that she does such a good job developing the relationships. Over the course of the series, Eve Dallas has gone from being a grumpy loner to having a world filled with loved ones. We have watched her grow and discover family. I enjoyed this book, and it kept me wanting to read.

DLR - Aug 1980, Aug 1985, May 1988, April 2002, Dec 2002, Dec 2004, Oct 2012

WDW - July/Aug 2001 (Honeymoon!), Oct 2004, Sept 2005, May 2006, Dec 2007, Dec 2008, Oct 2011
Caseheidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:16 PM   #981
zippitydoo
DIS Veteran

Book 9 of 30: Three Wishes by Stephanie Bond

2014 Book Challenge
Completed 60 of 75:
A Shade of Blood, A Castle of Sand, Takedown Twenty, Louisiana Longshot, Dirty Little Secrets, The One You Love, The One You Fear, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, A Shadow of Light, Hollow City, Room, The Barkeep, A Blaze of Sun, I Think I Love You, Broken, Body Movers, A Gate of Night, Trudge, Soldier On, In Harm’s Way, A Pound of Flesh, Taboo, Hide and Seek, Daddy’s Home, Weddings Can Be Murder, The Undead Heart, Moving Day, Monument 14, Sky on Fire, Savage Drift, NOS4A2, Her Last Breath, One Lavender Ribbon, Innocent in Las Vegas, Saving Grace, To Kill For, Awakening, City of Bones, City of Ashes, City of Glass, City of Fallen Angels, City of Lost Souls, City of Heavenly Fire, A Break of Day, The Gray and Guilty Sea, Twenty-Eight and a Half Wishes, The Profiler, Too Close To Home, Hushabye, The Girl Who Never Came Back, Fatal Debt, Deadly Bonds, Kill The Competition, Got Your Number
zippitydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:54 PM   #982
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Done with 5 now on to 6 surprise endings
Old 02-27-2013, 09:58 PM   #983
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbellandeeyor
Done with 5 now on to 6 surprise endings
Yours forever amazons summery

A romantic picnic on the beach, a dreamy ice-skating party, a New Year's kiss Christy has the ultimate Christmas break planned. Then she learns it takes more than careful planning for a guy to promise he is-Yours Forever

Christy can't wait to spend her Christmas vacation back in Newport Beach with her friends from last summer. Even before she arrives, all she can think about is arranging her schedule so she can spend every minute of her time with Todd. But her vacation fantasies turn to failures when all her careful planning alienates one of her best friends, makes Todd mad at her, and insults her aunt.

Will Christy figure out how to handle all her mixed emotions and mend these frayed relationships? Will her friends and God show her the true meaning of "yours forever"?

Get acquainted with Christy's friend Sierra by reading all twelve books in the SIERRA JENSEN SERIES, also by Robin Jones Gunn.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:33 AM   #984
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

Done with "Stilletto Safari", on to "1225 Christmas Tree Lane" by Debbie Macomber, book #15 in the challenge. Although this is a very slow read for Debbie Macomber, I can't help but loving it as I do all her books. It's so refreshing to me to see that the only sex involves deep kissing from couples who are actually married-to each other! And they're a bit more "mature" in age than some books.

I do have a problem with Goodreads though. My challenge says I've read one less book than my "read" shelf. Somehow a book a few back never got "counted" in my challenge. Does anyone know why this might be and how to correct it?
Old 02-28-2013, 10:49 AM   #985
dismom301930
Mouseketeer

Goal = 40

Book #9 - The Dressmaker by Kate Alcott http://www.amazon.com/The-Dressmaker...rds=dressmaker
Historical fiction based on the Titanic. Liked it, did not love it.

Next up:
The Snow Child - http://www.amazon.com/Snow-Child-Nov...62070079&sr=1-1&keywords=snow+child
The Round House
- http://www.amazon.com/Round-House-Lo...ds=round+house
dismom301930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:13 PM   #986
Glynis
Taking applications for a WDW tour guide!

Goal - 50 books

Book #21 - "Sapphire Blue" by Kerstin Gier

From Goodreads: Gwen’s life has been a rollercoaster since she discovered she was the Ruby, the final member of the secret time-traveling Circle of Twelve. In between searching through history for the other time-travelers and asking for a bit of their blood (gross!), she’s been trying to figure out what all the mysteries and prophecies surrounding the Circle really mean.

I really enjoyed this book! This is the second in a trilogy, and it was an excitin read! I can't wait until Fall for the final installment! I highly recommend this YA novel!

Next up: "Splendor of Silence" by Indu Sundaresan and continually slogging through "Team of Rivals"

2014 Reading Challenge Goal: 70 books

The Art of Racing in the Rain ~ The House of Hades ~ How To Be Like Walt ~ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows ~ The Seven Mouths of God ~ Behind the Beautiful Forevers ~ The Mysterious Affair at Styles ~ The Big 5-Oh ~ A Year in the Life of William Shakespeare ~ Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children ~ Wait Till Next Year ~ While We Were Watching Downton Abbey ~ Great Expectations ~ The Maze Runner ~ The Fault In Our Stars ~ The Juliet Club ~ The Girls' Guide to Love and Supper Clubs ~ The Power of One ~ The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat ~ Hollow City ~ The Fountainhead ~ Cat's Cradle ~ Speaking From Among The Bones ~ Death Comes to Pemberley ~ Quilt or Innocence ~ The Chocolate Thief ~ On Strike for Christmas ~ Bikini Season ~ Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker ~ Miss Dreamsville and the Collier County Women's Literary Society ~ Cinnamon Roll Murder ~ Red Velvet Cupcake Murder ~ Blackberry Pie Murder ~ Home To Holly Springs ~ In The Company of Others ~ The Devil in the White City ~ Gathering Blue ~ Messenger ~ The Bell Jar ~ The Boys in the Boat ~ The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches ~ Son ~ Beach Colors ~ Welcome to Last Chance ~ Last Chance Beauty Queen ~ Last Chance Knit and Stitch ~ The World According to Garp ~ The Bean Trees ~ I'll Be Seeing You ~ The Hours ~ Prodigal Summer ~ The Ocean at the End of the Lane
Glynis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:14 PM   #987
WowLookAtThat
DIS Veteran

Book #16 Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan

Review: I have loved this book since I first had to read it in high school. While we were supposed to read it as a class, I read the whole thing that Friday night...that is how engaging the story was to me.

The Joy Luck Club is about the relationship between four Chinese mothers and their American born daughters. It goes deeper than that though but more about how these women survive during turbulent times. The book is structured into four parts, the mother and daughters narrate their own story except for June, whose mother has died a little bit before the book starts. However, she is the one who tells Suyuan's story and her "long cherished wish".

The mothers explain their youth in China and how life was for them. One notable story about Lindo and how she was arranged in her first marriage. Her family is gone and she is alone with her husband's demanding family. She and her husband have not consummated their marriage and this puts a lot of pressure on her by her mother-in-law however Lindo devises a plan to not only get out of the marriage but doing it without losing face.

The daughters explain their childhood in San Francisco and how their relationship with their mothers could be a little hard. Ying-Ying's daughter, Lena has to contend with her mother's heavy depression. Later on the adult daughters go through hard times such as divorce and you see how they confront these issues.

The Joy Luck Club is a complicated book that often means taking a look out of your own perspectives of life. Amy Tan's writing is very simple yet profound. I suggest it but be ready to get a little teary-eyed.
WowLookAtThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:14 PM   #988
dizluvah
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom View Post
I do have a problem with Goodreads though. My challenge says I've read one less book than my "read" shelf. Somehow a book a few back never got "counted" in my challenge. Does anyone know why this might be and how to correct it?
I would go to your "read" list on goodreads and make sure the "date read" field is filled in for the book that is missing. You just click the edit button under the
date read" field. That is my only suggestion to get goodreads to recognize the book you finished.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:51 PM   #989
Swimnoid
DIS Veteran

23 of 75

The Lions of Lucerne by Brad Thor

From Goodreads: On the snow-covered slopes of Utah, the President of the United States has been kidnapped and his Secret Service detail massacred. Only one agent has survived -- ex-Navy SEAL Scot Harvath. He doesn't buy the official line that Middle Eastern terrorists are behind the attack and begins his own campaign to find the truth and exact revenge.

Very good thriller with lots of action and likable characters. I cant believe how lucky this guy is dodging millions of bullets!

24 of 75

Learn Me good by John Pearson

Jack Woodson is a thermal design engineer who is laid off from his job. He decides to go in a different direction and becomes a 3rd grade teacher. Learn Me Good is written in a series of emails to his friend at his old job about his adventures as a first year teacher.

The book is very funny and sometimes poignant.

Last edited by Swimnoid; 03-01-2013 at 08:07 AM.
Swimnoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:41 AM   #990
Kathi OD
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the nevermind we know what was thereRedhead
Guess what - Doesn't like the cheese soup

Finally getting somewhere...just finished 5 of 50; John Grisham's "Calico Joe."

Calico Joe is the story of a very talented baseball player in his rookie year who gets deliberately beaned by an arrogant, self-absorbed opposing pitcher (Warren Tracey), ending his short career. The story is told by the Tracey's son and concludes with Joe and Tracey meeting some 30 years after the event, as Tracey is dying of pancreatic cancer.

A quick read, that I thoroughly enjoyed...but then, I'm a baseball fan.

Next up, "Calling Invisible Women" by Jeanne Ray.

"The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles, but to irrigate deserts." -- C. S. Lewis
Kathi OD is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: