Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 12:11 AM   #961
Swimnoid
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimblebee View Post
Goal 50

#16 The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne

I really want to give this book 0/5 because I HATED the ending. But, it was well written and really interesting to see things from another perspective. The story is told from the point of view of a 9 year old boy on the 'good' side of the fence. The boy is naive about things and this comes across in the writing. For example, he can't pronounce where he lives so it is just refered to as Out-With. It did take me a while to catch onto what he meant, and once I did I was like, oh man he lives by the concentration camp. I don't want to give anything away so I will only say again I HATED the ending. My daughter hasn't read the book but knows what happens so we are going to watch the movie on Netflix tomorrow night. To be fair, I will give this book 3.75/5

Not sure what is next. I just got Netflix so I am a little distracted by it LOL
Let us know how you compare the book to the movie. This is on my list but I'm not sure I want to read it since I saw the movie. I think it would be too painful.
Swimnoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:55 AM   #962
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimnoid View Post
Let us know how you compare the book to the movie. This is on my list but I'm not sure I want to read it since I saw the movie. I think it would be too painful.
Yeah, the movie just about killed me and any interest I had in reading the book. So sad.
Ginny Favers is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-26-2013, 08:01 AM   #963
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun

I completely forgot about this thread! I had to go back and check my Kindle archive to get my total - I'm up to 8/30 for the year.

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
BearcatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:37 AM   #964
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Finished a whisper and a wish book description coming
Old 02-26-2013, 09:48 AM   #965
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

A whisper and a wish what amazon has to,say about it.

Book Description
Publication Date: September 1998
Christy Miller is convinced dreams do come true! What other explanation could there be for her family's sudden decision to move from Wisconsin to California? But Christy soon learns there's another side to this new life, which leads her to - A Whisper and a Wish

Fifteen-year-old Christy is thrilled that her family is moving to California! She'll be right back at the beach with all her friends from last summer. But her dreams of a beach reunion are dashed when she learns her family will be living in an obscure town farther inland. Christy has to start all over again, meeting new friends and trying to fit in.

At first, things seem to be going well. She is accepted by a group of popular girls, which launches her social life, and one of the most gorgeous guys at school seems interested in her. But while her new friends are fun, some of them are facing problems that Christy doesn't know how to deal with including a run-in with the police. As disappointments grow and things spin out of control, will Christy turn to God for help? Will her dreams and wishes come true?

Get acquainted with Christy's friend Sierra by reading all twelve books in the SIERRA JENSEN SERIES, also by Robin Jones Gunn.

Now on to yours for ever book 5, maybe I should go back to 12 books as my goal

Last edited by tinkerbellandeeyor; 02-26-2013 at 10:08 AM.
tinkerbellandeeyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:18 PM   #966
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

Goal: 52 books this year

#15 down and done.

Proof of Guilt by Charles Todd. London, summer 1920. An unidentified body appears to have been run down by a motorcar and Inspector Ian Rutledge is leading the investigation to discover what happened. While the signs point to murder, vital questions remain: Who is the victim, and where exactly was he killed?

This was one of the most convoluted murder plots I have ever read in 50 years of reading mysteries! I'm still not sure I understand how Rutledge discovered who was the murderer. And the person I was sure was a baddie had nothing to do with it! In my admittedly weak defense, it took me more than two weeks to finish the book, and I had to check back often to see who was who.

Todd (who is really a mother/son writing team) writes extremely well, and I always look forward to his (their) latest book. I may re-read this one in a month or two and try to follow the story more closely.

Queen Colleen
PigletsPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:19 PM   #967
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigletsPal2
Goal: 52 books this year

#15 down and done.

Proof of Guilt by Charles Todd. London, summer 1920. An unidentified body appears to have been run down by a motorcar and Inspector Ian Rutledge is leading the investigation to discover what happened. While the signs point to murder, vital questions remain: Who is the victim, and where exactly was he killed?

This was one of the most convoluted murder plots I have ever read in 50 years of reading mysteries! I'm still not sure I understand how Rutledge discovered who was the murderer. And the person I was sure was a baddie had nothing to do with it! In my admittedly weak defense, it took me more than two weeks to finish the book, and I had to check back often to see who was who.

Todd (who is really a mother/son writing team) writes extremely well, and I always look forward to his (their) latest book. I may re-read this one in a month or two and try to follow the story more closely.

Queen Colleen
How do you read so fast?
Old 02-26-2013, 03:24 PM   #968
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbellandeeyor View Post
How do you read so fast?
Haha! I'm retired, I have wonderful daughters who do most of my household chores for me, leaving me a lot of time to read, and I learned speed-reading in junior high (middle) school.

Reading for pleasure was greatly encouraged in my family and I've passed on that love to my daughters; if the morning paper was late, they'd read the back of the cereal boxes on the table. I think a love of reading is one of the greatest gifts you can give a child.

Queen Colleen
PigletsPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:26 PM   #969
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigletsPal2

Haha! I'm retired, I have wonderful daughters who do most of my household chores for me, leaving me a lot of time to read, and I learned speed-reading in junior high (middle) school.

Reading for pleasure was greatly encouraged in my family and I've passed on that love to my daughters; if the morning paper was late, they'd read the back of the cereal boxes on the table. I think a love of reading is one of the greatest gifts you can give a child.

Queen Colleen
Agree plus it helps if you are in the book
Old 02-26-2013, 06:23 PM   #970
WowLookAtThat
DIS Veteran

Book #15 Royal Affairs by Leslie Carroll

I am a huge fan of history books. I have biographies of Marie Antoinette, Cleopatra and more on my bookshelves so the Carroll book seemed perfect. Royal Affairs shows how the term sex and power have gone hand in hand for years and how royalty have often stepped out and the impact it made, for instance the love affair between Wallis Simpson and King Edward was huge and he had abdicated his title to marry her. It is that decision that led his younger brother, King George VI to have the title and now his daughter, Queen Elizabeth is the ruling monarch. Another example is King Henry VIII...and I don't think that needs explanation.

The book goes more into a king or queen having an affair but explains the life of the lover. For instance, while most of Charles II of England had mistresses who were high born, Nell Gywnn was not and her candor made her a folk legend. It is easy to lambast the monarchs for cheating on their spouse but one has to remember that most of the royal marriages long past were arranged and the couple may not have even liked one another. The more sad stories are the ones where the spouse actually loved the cheater (and in some cases vice versa) but put up with the philandering (there ARE some exceptions).
Royal Affairs is an interesting read that is both fun and informative. The author has a way of narrating each scandal that makes Royal Affairs read like a tawdry novel than a historical non-fiction.

I totally suggest it. I got three more of her books at a sale but I am going to start on Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan for right now.
WowLookAtThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:30 PM   #971
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

I *think* I just completed #7 (I'm losing track). It was Remember Me by Sophie Kinsella. I give it 2.5 out of 5 stars.

This was my first-ever Kinsella book and I was very disappointed.

The story is about a woman who experience amnesia after an accident and forgets the last three years of her life. She has better hair, better teeth, a better body, and she's rich and she doesn't know how it happened.

I think the story line/plot itself had some promise but the author did a terrible job of explaining the rift between the main character and her old friends. She left a LOT out about what happened in those three years. And in the end, the main character didn't really get her memory back but appeared to be on her way.

I don't know--it seemed like a half finished novel to me.

Occasionally, I need some "fluff" and I was hoping this would be it. I have to say, I prefer Nora Roberts for fluff. I have also read Jill Mansell books, which are often compared to Sophia Kinsella, and Jill does a GREAT job with fluff!!!

Maybe I just read the wrong book?

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:54 PM   #972
StephMK
DIS Veteran

I finished book #10 last weekend. It's been sitting on my Kindle for a year and I think someone here mentioned that they read it? I'm not sure what made me read it finally.

The Secret Keeper - there was some religion in it but not overwhelming. The main character curses & is far from perfect so I liked that aspect. Definitely a fluff book, some parts were predictable but it was cute and held my attention. I LOL and cried during it in parts and will probably rent the next book through Prime in March.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:47 PM   #973
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
I *think* I just completed #7 (I'm losing track). It was Remember Me by Sophie Kinsella. I give it 2.5 out of 5 stars.

This was my first-ever Kinsella book and I was very disappointed.

The story is about a woman who experience amnesia after an accident and forgets the last three years of her life. She has better hair, better teeth, a better body, and she's rich and she doesn't know how it happened.

I think the story line/plot itself had some promise but the author did a terrible job of explaining the rift between the main character and her old friends. She left a LOT out about what happened in those three years. And in the end, the main character didn't really get her memory back but appeared to be on her way.

I don't know--it seemed like a half finished novel to me.

Occasionally, I need some "fluff" and I was hoping this would be it. I have to say, I prefer Nora Roberts for fluff. I have also read Jill Mansell books, which are often compared to Sophia Kinsella, and Jill does a GREAT job with fluff!!!

Maybe I just read the wrong book?
I think you read the wrong Sophie Kinsella book. I've read lots of her books, and "Remember Me" was my least favorite. I'll have to check out Jill Mansell.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:26 PM   #974
Kathi OD
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the nevermind we know what was thereRedhead
Guess what - Doesn't like the cheese soup

Finished books 3 and 4; "Sense of an Ending" and "The Giraffe, the Pelly, and Me."

"Sense of an Ending" was not as good as it's reviews. I was terribly disappointed.

I read "The Giraffe, the Pelly, and Me" to my class of multiply-disabled high schoolers. I have found that they Roald Dahl's silliness, and that silliness helps them to remember characters and setting. It also helps them to remember the sequence of events.

I think I'll read John Grisham's "Calico Joe" next. My class will be reading "Bunnicula - A Rabbit Tale of Mystery" by Deborah and James Howe.

"The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles, but to irrigate deserts." -- C. S. Lewis
Kathi OD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:36 AM   #975
Glynis
Taking applications for a WDW tour guide!

Goal - 50 books

Book #20 - "Snow Whyte and the Queen of Mayhem" by Melissa Lemon

This Young Adult book retells the story of Snow White. Perhaps the most interesting part about the book is that it is the sorcerer trapped inside the queen's mirror that tells us the story. He is able to watch the young princess grow up and reports what he sees.

All in all, I didn't love this book. I didn't hate it, either. It was just "meh". I found that the writing was really inconsistent, and sometimes downright patronizing. I don't appreciate that! I would recommend this for Middle School aged girls, but not sure anyone older than that would enjoy it.

Next up: "Sapphire Blue" by Kerstin Gier. This is the second in a trilogy, and I'm enjoying it so far!

2014 Reading Challenge Goal: 70 books

The Art of Racing in the Rain ~ The House of Hades ~ How To Be Like Walt ~ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows ~ The Seven Mouths of God ~ Behind the Beautiful Forevers ~ The Mysterious Affair at Styles ~ The Big 5-Oh ~ A Year in the Life of William Shakespeare ~ Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children ~ Wait Till Next Year ~ While We Were Watching Downton Abbey ~ Great Expectations ~ The Maze Runner ~ The Fault In Our Stars ~ The Juliet Club ~ The Girls' Guide to Love and Supper Clubs ~ The Power of One ~ The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat ~ Hollow City ~ The Fountainhead ~ Cat's Cradle ~ Speaking From Among The Bones ~ Death Comes to Pemberley ~ Quilt or Innocence ~ The Chocolate Thief ~ On Strike for Christmas ~ Bikini Season ~ Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker ~ Miss Dreamsville and the Collier County Women's Literary Society ~ Cinnamon Roll Murder ~ Red Velvet Cupcake Murder ~ Blackberry Pie Murder ~ Home To Holly Springs ~ In The Company of Others
Glynis is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: