Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2013, 06:49 AM   #946
Glynis
Taking applications for a WDW tour guide!

Goal - 50 books

Book #18 - The J.A.P. Chronicles by Isabel Rose

This book was kind of a "Mean Girls" grow up. A group of spoiled rich Jewish American Princesses tell their stories as they are asked to tell about their "defining" moment.

I have to say that I wasn't too thrilled with this book. It was a lot harsher than I anticipated, and at times, it was downright upsetting to read. I don't know that I would recommend this one.

2014 Reading Challenge Goal: 70 books

The Art of Racing in the Rain ~ The House of Hades ~ How To Be Like Walt ~ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows ~ The Seven Mouths of God ~ Behind the Beautiful Forevers ~ The Mysterious Affair at Styles ~ The Big 5-Oh ~ A Year in the Life of William Shakespeare ~ Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children ~ Wait Till Next Year ~ While We Were Watching Downton Abbey ~ Great Expectations ~ The Maze Runner ~ The Fault In Our Stars ~ The Juliet Club ~ The Girls' Guide to Love and Supper Clubs ~ The Power of One ~ The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat ~ Hollow City ~ The Fountainhead ~ Cat's Cradle ~ Speaking From Among The Bones ~ Death Comes to Pemberley ~ Quilt or Innocence ~ The Chocolate Thief ~ On Strike for Christmas ~ Bikini Season ~ Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker ~ Miss Dreamsville and the Collier County Women's Literary Society ~ Cinnamon Roll Murder ~ Red Velvet Cupcake Murder ~ Blackberry Pie Murder ~ Home To Holly Springs ~ In The Company of Others ~ The Devil in the White City ~ Gathering Blue ~ Messenger ~ The Bell Jar ~ The Boys in the Boat ~ The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches ~ Son ~ Beach Colors
Glynis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:52 AM   #947
Glynis
Taking applications for a WDW tour guide!

Goal 50 books

Book #19 - "Little Women and Me" by Lauren Baraz-Logsted

Emily March is given an assignment in her English class: to take a book that she loves and find one thing about it she would like to change. The book she chooses is "Little Women" and she decides to change Beth's dying. Something happens, though, and she is literally sucked into the book. While there, she discovers that changing the book is not going to be as easy as she thought.

This is most definitely a YA book. Nothing wrong with that. However, at times the writing was really simple, for lack of a better word. There were moments in the book where I really felt talked down to by the author. However, it was a fun story, and really got me thinking about things I would like to change in my favorite books.

Next up: "Snow Whyte and the Queen of Mayhem"

2014 Reading Challenge Goal: 70 books

The Art of Racing in the Rain ~ The House of Hades ~ How To Be Like Walt ~ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows ~ The Seven Mouths of God ~ Behind the Beautiful Forevers ~ The Mysterious Affair at Styles ~ The Big 5-Oh ~ A Year in the Life of William Shakespeare ~ Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children ~ Wait Till Next Year ~ While We Were Watching Downton Abbey ~ Great Expectations ~ The Maze Runner ~ The Fault In Our Stars ~ The Juliet Club ~ The Girls' Guide to Love and Supper Clubs ~ The Power of One ~ The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat ~ Hollow City ~ The Fountainhead ~ Cat's Cradle ~ Speaking From Among The Bones ~ Death Comes to Pemberley ~ Quilt or Innocence ~ The Chocolate Thief ~ On Strike for Christmas ~ Bikini Season ~ Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker ~ Miss Dreamsville and the Collier County Women's Literary Society ~ Cinnamon Roll Murder ~ Red Velvet Cupcake Murder ~ Blackberry Pie Murder ~ Home To Holly Springs ~ In The Company of Others ~ The Devil in the White City ~ Gathering Blue ~ Messenger ~ The Bell Jar ~ The Boys in the Boat ~ The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches ~ Son ~ Beach Colors
Glynis is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-25-2013, 08:03 AM   #948
dismom301930
Mouseketeer

Goal - 40 books

Book #8 - Homestead by Rosina Lippi - Each chapter tells the story of a different woman who all lived in the same small Austrian village, spanning from the early 1900s until the 1970s. I thought it was very well written, but it was a bit confusing keeping all of the names and relationships straight. There are family trees in the back of the book, which are very helpful, but it does "give away" the ending to some of the stories (who married whom, when people died, etc.) Overall, I thought it was worth reading. http://www.amazon.com/Homestead-Rosi...ords=homestead

Next up - The Dressmaker by Kate Alcott http://www.amazon.com/The-Dressmaker.../dp/0307948196
dismom301930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:06 AM   #949
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it

My book #10 was Abbi Glines' FALLEN TOO FAR.

To want what you’re not supposed to have…

She is only nineteen.

She is his new stepfather’s daughter.

She is still naÔve and innocent due to spending the last three years taking care of her sick mother.

But for twenty-four year old Rush Finlay, she is the only thing that has ever been off limits. His famous father’s guilt money, his mother’s desperation to win his love, and his charm are the three reasons he has never been told no.

Blaire Wynn left her small farmhouse in Alabama, after her mother passed away, to move in with her father and his new wife in their sprawling beach house along the Florida gulf coast. She isn’t prepared for the lifestyle change and she knows she’ll never fit into this world. Then there is her sexy stepbrother who her father leaves her with for the summer while he runs off to Paris with his wife. Rush is as spoiled as he is gorgeous. He is also getting under her skin. She knows he is anything but good for her and that he’ll never be faithful to anyone. He is jaded and has secrets Blaire knows she may never uncover but even knowing all of that…

Blaire just may have fallen too far.

This author has a huge following on Amazon and Goodreads, but I don't think her books are for me. This book is part of a series but I won't be reading any more of them.
Ginny Favers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:11 AM   #950
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearybear View Post
Is it too late to join? I have a reading goal of 50 books on Goodreads. I've read 12 books so far this year, most recently Fireblood by Jeff Wheeler.
It's NEVER too late to join!! Glad you found us! WELCOME!

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife,#16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker, #26 Rainshadow Road, #27 The Art of Hearing Heartbeats,#28 Little Bee

Currently reading: #29 The Art Forger

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:32 AM   #951
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

I think I'm on book 13 of 65. I finished "Take a Deep Breath" by Shar Dimick yesterday. Yawn! It was so slow moving, I was relived when it ended. It tried ti be like Sherryl Woods, I think, but it was a VERY cheap imitation. This morning I started "Stiletto Safari", a chick lit-style book about a girl who spends 6 months volunteering in Africa, and packing her snakeskin stilettos. Get the idea? So far I'm finding this one very enjoyable. And it doesn't hurt that now that she's in Africa, I'm reminded of Animal Kingdom, my favorite park.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:26 PM   #952
nemofans
DIS Veteran

Finished book #11- The Necromancer: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel by Michael Scott

This is book 4 of this series. Such exciting reading!

I am on to book 5 now - The Warlock

I've been BOO'd!!

8/2000 Grosvenor Resort (got engaged!), 11/2005 DL PPH CL, 12/2006 Poly, 02/2008 AKL, 2/2010 CR CL, 2/2011 DCL Magic, 11/2011 DL GCH, 10/2012 AKL CL

2013 Book Challenge: 87 out of 75 GOAL MET!!
2014 Book Challenge: 60 out of 85
nemofans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:42 PM   #953
zippitydoo
DIS Veteran

Book 8 of 30: License to Thrill by Stephanie Bond

2014 Book Challenge
Completed 43 of 50:
A Shade of Blood, A Castle of Sand, Takedown Twenty, Louisiana Longshot, Dirty Little Secrets, The One You Love, The One You Fear, Harry Potter and the Sorcererís Stone, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, A Shadow of Light, Hollow City, Room, The Barkeep, A Blaze of Sun, I Think I Love You, Broken, Body Movers, A Gate of Night, Trudge, Soldier On, In Harmís Way, A Pound of Flesh, Taboo, Hide and Seek, Daddyís Home, Weddings Can Be Murder, The Undead Heart, Moving Day, Monument 14, Sky on Fire, Savage Drift, NOS4A2, Her Last Breath, One Lavender Ribbon, Innocent in Las Vegas, Saving Grace, To Kill For, Awakening
zippitydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:50 PM   #954
Caseheidi
DIS Veteran

Book 10 of 100

Dying to Read by Lorena McCourtney

Summary by Goodreads: Cate Kinkaid is just dipping her toe into the world of private investigating until one of the many resumes she has floating around lands her a real job. All she has to do is determine that a particular woman lives at a particular address. Simple, right? When the big and brooding house happens to contain a dead body, this routine PI job turns out to be anything but simple. Is Cate in over her head?
Readers will be hooked from the very first chapter of this fast-paced and witty romantic mystery from bestselling and award-winning author Lorena McCourtney

This is one of the books I picked up on the Nook deals of the day. It had been recommended as being like a Stephaine Plum book, but it is no where near as fun a read as that. I gave it 3 of 5 stars on Goodreads. While I did enjoy reading it, I did not find myself laughing much. It has a mystery running through the story, but I found myself thinking the heroine was being stupid and needed to mind her own business. If this continues to be a series (which it is set up to be) I don't think I will be reading more of them.

Next up: JD Robb's Calculated in Death which comes out tomorrow! I have been waiting for this one, but then I am always waiting for the next Eve Dallas book!

DLR - Aug 1980, Aug 1985, May 1988, April 2002, Dec 2002, Dec 2004, Oct 2012

WDW - July/Aug 2001 (Honeymoon!), Oct 2004, Sept 2005, May 2006, Dec 2007, Dec 2008, Oct 2011
Caseheidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:56 PM   #955
Caseheidi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glynis View Post
Goal 50 books

Book #19 - "Little Women and Me" by Lauren Baraz-Logsted

Emily March is given an assignment in her English class: to take a book that she loves and find one thing about it she would like to change. The book she chooses is "Little Women" and she decides to change Beth's dying. Something happens, though, and she is literally sucked into the book. While there, she discovers that changing the book is not going to be as easy as she thought.

This is most definitely a YA book. Nothing wrong with that. However, at times the writing was really simple, for lack of a better word. There were moments in the book where I really felt talked down to by the author. However, it was a fun story, and really got me thinking about things I would like to change in my favorite books.

Next up: "Snow Whyte and the Queen of Mayhem"

I think I need to add this to my list! It sounds like an interesting take on one of my favorite childhood books.

DLR - Aug 1980, Aug 1985, May 1988, April 2002, Dec 2002, Dec 2004, Oct 2012

WDW - July/Aug 2001 (Honeymoon!), Oct 2004, Sept 2005, May 2006, Dec 2007, Dec 2008, Oct 2011
Caseheidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:24 PM   #956
willowsnn3
Tagless not by choice but by circumstance

Goal 72

#15 Whirlwind by Robert Liparulo
Book number 5 of the Dreamhouse Kings series. Only 1 more to go. I have really enjoyed these books.

Book Challenge Goal 61/72

willowsnn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:06 PM   #957
KrazyPete
skeleton

Goal - 24 books

Book #1 - The Passage by Justin Cronin - It was pitched as a post-apocalyptic zombie novel. It was good enough for me not to hold the lack of actual zombies against it.

I'm looking forward to the second book in that series but right now I am woefully behind in this book challenge. I need a fairly quick read so...

Next up - The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein
KrazyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:46 PM   #958
disneyfanforever
DIS Veteran

Finally! I finished Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett today. What a long book! It has received so many reviews and so many people ranked it as one of the best books they have ever read that I finally decided to read it. It was a very good book even though I did get a little bored sometimes. I am definitely glad I read it and can check it off my list.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:31 PM   #959
kimblebee
now my thoughts will be worth 5 cents

Goal 50

#16 The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne

I really want to give this book 0/5 because I HATED the ending. But, it was well written and really interesting to see things from another perspective. The story is told from the point of view of a 9 year old boy on the 'good' side of the fence. The boy is naive about things and this comes across in the writing. For example, he can't pronounce where he lives so it is just refered to as Out-With. It did take me a while to catch onto what he meant, and once I did I was like, oh man he lives by the concentration camp. I don't want to give anything away so I will only say again I HATED the ending. My daughter hasn't read the book but knows what happens so we are going to watch the movie on Netflix tomorrow night. To be fair, I will give this book 3.75/5

Not sure what is next. I just got Netflix so I am a little distracted by it LOL
Old 02-25-2013, 11:48 PM   #960
Angiea1114
Mouseketeer

Goal 15

#3. Bitter Harvest by Ann Rule

Based on a true crime story, a sad, captivating story of a family destroyed by the death of two children by their own mother.

I gave the book a 3.5/5 just because I felt it was slow moving at times probably because of all the technical evidence reports. Sometimes, it seemed a chore to read through those pages just to continue on with the story.

Next up #4 Ring of Lies by Victoria Howard....
Angiea1114 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: