Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 04:12 PM   #76
disny_luvr
DIS Veteran

I'm in! I love to read!
Put me down for 25 books. I can probably read more than that, especially during the summer as I am a teacher (actually a middle school librarian), but sometimes life gets in the way and reading has to be put on the back burner.

Upcoming Trips:
Beach Club ~ June 27-June 30, 2015/Polynesian Village ~ June 30-July 6, 2015
Disney Fantasy: 7-night Western ~ November 28-December 5, 2015
Past Trips:
* Polynesian ~ August, 2014 *
* Disney Fantasy: 7-night Eastern ~ November/December, 2013 * Disney Magic: 2-night Cruise ~ August, 2012 * Beach Club Villas ~ June, 2012 * Wilderness Lodge ~ November/December, 2010 * POP/CBR ~ May, 2009 * Wilderness Lodge ~ November, 2004 * Dixie Landings ~ April, 1996 * CBR ~ June, 1991 * Fort Wilderness ~ June, 1984 *
disny_luvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:17 PM   #77
Debbie19
Mouseketeer

I'm in for 30 books. I have been rereading my favorites from my childhood recently. Going to finish some of those in the next few weeks. Not sure what I'll read after that.

Debbie
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-01-2013, 04:43 PM   #78
tarzansmom
I would rather be at Walt Disney World!

I'm in. Put me down for 52.

2003- POR * 2005- POP * 2006- POP * 2008- POP/CSR * 2010- WL * 2011- CBR * 2013-?
tarzansmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:04 PM   #79
JaneBanks
Lime Cordial, delicious! Laughing on the ceiling with Uncle Albert

I'm so in! Put me down for 30 please!

(ME) (DH) =

December 2010 Grand Floridian Honeymoon

February 2012 Port Orleans French Quarter
January 2014 Port Orleans French Quarter

2014 Reading Challenge
Currently Reading Book #1 - The Witching Hour by Anne Rice
JaneBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:14 PM   #80
stacy347
I carried a watermelon?

I'm in for 30.

First book of the year for me is Tiger's Voyage by Colleen Houck. It's the 3rd book in the Tiger's Curse series (YA).

After this one, I'm going to try out my new Kindle. I've downloaded a ton of free books from Amazon for it ~ there have to be at least a few goods ones.
May 16-22, 2010 Seralago Resort ~ so much fun!
June 17-23, 2012 Regal Palms ~ loved it!
Oct. 4, 2012 Disney on Ice: Rockin' Ever After
stacy347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:47 PM   #81
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathi OD View Post
Absolutely the BEST book I read in 2012!!! Night Circus was very different, but a close second. Enjoy!
Loved that book as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyPete View Post
Put me down for 24. My Goodreads account says that I read 20 last year. I think I can do better than that. If I come up short in December I'll just throw in a few comic books.

I'm starting with "The Passage" by Justin Cronin. Technically, I started it last year but I'm only 25 pages into it. Am I winning?
No, you're not winning. Hulagirl ALREADY has finished her first book for 2013!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diznee25 View Post
I joined goodreads and have a quick question. How do you mark books as 'currently reading'? There's a book on my 'to read' shelf that I'm currently reading. I've tried hitting the 'edit' button but nothing happens. Please help!

Also thanks to the poster who mentioned goodreads. There's a lot of useful tools, and I like how they give you book recommendations based on stuff you've already read! Very cool.

ETA: Just hit the edit button for the 10th time....and it works! Now I can add books to my 'currently reading' shelf. Guess 10th time is the charm. lol

diznee25
That edit button gave me problems too. I don't update my current book that way. Hmmm.... I have to think how I do it now, lol.

On the home page over on the top right somewhere is a little widget that says Currently Reading and it gives your status (how many pages you've read so far). Underneath in tiny letters is "Add a New Book." I usually type in my book title there and add it that way. I'm pretty sure it automatically pulls it off your "to-read" list... as long as it's the same book version (for books with more than one version out there...)

I'll have to pay more attention to how I'm doing it the next time I start a new book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulagirl87 View Post
ok! just finished the first one for the year. A beautiful book called Bloom by Kelle Hampton. Her story of giving birth to a daughter with Downs. I cried several times but what a remarkable book. I highly recommend it
My word, girl! No wonder you read 177 books last year! CONGRATULATIONS on being the first one to complete a book on the FIRST DAY of 2013!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVETHATMOUSE View Post
One of my resolutions this year is to read more and less tv. I love to read, but somehow never find time. I'm going to try to read 30. I have about 25 on my Nook shelf to read so if I have to add more books, that's a good thing. One book I am trying to read this year is Les Mis. After seeing the play 4 times and the movie 2 times, I want to read the book. Although I do have a question. Because it is about 1500 pages can I count that as 2 books ?
Oh that's a tough one. Having just recently finished that book myself, I know what a DIFFICULT read that one was. I think you can compensate by throwing a few 50-100 page books in there too.

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife,#16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker, #26 Rainshadow Road, #27 The Art of Hearing Heartbeats,#28 Little Bee,#29 The Art Forger, #30 One Plus One, #31 Double Whammy

Currently reading: #32 The Girl You Left Behind

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:51 PM   #82
Glynis
Taking applications for a WDW tour guide!

I'm in!!! I love to read, so this will be fun! I've gotten so many wonderful recommendations from the DIS, that I know this will be a great group of people to bond with over books! Kind of like a long distance book club!

I'll set my goal at 50 books. I'm starting with Unbroken, which I've wanted to read for a long time, but never got around to reading. Very excited!!!

Once we're done with a book, are we coming back here to report? How will this work?

Off to read the rest of the thread, to see what everyone else is doing!

2014 Reading Challenge Goal: 70 books

The Art of Racing in the Rain ~ The House of Hades ~ How To Be Like Walt ~ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows ~ The Seven Mouths of God ~ Behind the Beautiful Forevers ~ The Mysterious Affair at Styles ~ The Big 5-Oh ~ A Year in the Life of William Shakespeare ~ Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children ~ Wait Till Next Year ~ While We Were Watching Downton Abbey ~ Great Expectations ~ The Maze Runner ~ The Fault In Our Stars ~ The Juliet Club ~ The Girls' Guide to Love and Supper Clubs ~ The Power of One ~ The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat ~ Hollow City ~ The Fountainhead ~ Cat's Cradle ~ Speaking From Among The Bones ~ Death Comes to Pemberley ~ Quilt or Innocence ~ The Chocolate Thief ~ On Strike for Christmas ~ Bikini Season ~ Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker ~ Miss Dreamsville and the Collier County Women's Literary Society ~ Cinnamon Roll Murder ~ Red Velvet Cupcake Murder ~ Blackberry Pie Murder ~ Home To Holly Springs ~ In The Company of Others ~ The Devil in the White City ~ Gathering Blue ~ Messenger ~ The Bell Jar ~ The Boys in the Boat ~ The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches ~ Son ~ Beach Colors ~ Welcome to Last Chance ~ Last Chance Beauty Queen ~ Last Chance Knit and Stitch ~ The World According to Garp ~ The Bean Trees
Glynis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:00 PM   #83
Glynis
Taking applications for a WDW tour guide!

I'm on Goodreads, user name is the same as on the DIS, if anyone wants to friend me.

Can someone tell me how to find out how many books I logged on Goodreads in 2012? I'm sure there has to be an easier way than going through my list and counting. Does anyone know?

Thanks!

2014 Reading Challenge Goal: 70 books

The Art of Racing in the Rain ~ The House of Hades ~ How To Be Like Walt ~ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows ~ The Seven Mouths of God ~ Behind the Beautiful Forevers ~ The Mysterious Affair at Styles ~ The Big 5-Oh ~ A Year in the Life of William Shakespeare ~ Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children ~ Wait Till Next Year ~ While We Were Watching Downton Abbey ~ Great Expectations ~ The Maze Runner ~ The Fault In Our Stars ~ The Juliet Club ~ The Girls' Guide to Love and Supper Clubs ~ The Power of One ~ The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat ~ Hollow City ~ The Fountainhead ~ Cat's Cradle ~ Speaking From Among The Bones ~ Death Comes to Pemberley ~ Quilt or Innocence ~ The Chocolate Thief ~ On Strike for Christmas ~ Bikini Season ~ Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker ~ Miss Dreamsville and the Collier County Women's Literary Society ~ Cinnamon Roll Murder ~ Red Velvet Cupcake Murder ~ Blackberry Pie Murder ~ Home To Holly Springs ~ In The Company of Others ~ The Devil in the White City ~ Gathering Blue ~ Messenger ~ The Bell Jar ~ The Boys in the Boat ~ The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches ~ Son ~ Beach Colors ~ Welcome to Last Chance ~ Last Chance Beauty Queen ~ Last Chance Knit and Stitch ~ The World According to Garp ~ The Bean Trees
Glynis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:51 PM   #84
penguin1102
Mouseketeer

I would love to join this thread. Please put me in for 70 books! I have been reading the recommendations on here but have never replied to any of the suggestions other than writing the titles down.
penguin1102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:58 PM   #85
Kathi OD
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the nevermind we know what was thereRedhead
Guess what - Doesn't like the cheese soup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glynis View Post
I'm on Goodreads, user name is the same as on the DIS, if anyone wants to friend me.

Can someone tell me how to find out how many books I logged on Goodreads in 2012? I'm sure there has to be an easier way than going through my list and counting. Does anyone know?

Thanks!
Glynis, on the right side of your Goodreads home page, just under where it says "my profile" is another area that says "2013 reading challenge." There it asks you how many books you plan to read for the year. Then every time you mark a book as read, it adds it. It will let you know if you are on track to complete your goal.

If you didn't do it for 2012, I'm not sure how you would do it now.

"The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles, but to irrigate deserts." -- C. S. Lewis

Last edited by Kathi OD; 01-01-2013 at 09:03 PM.
Kathi OD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:38 PM   #86
Friend of a Mouse
Braille: To touch words and have them touch you back

I'm in! I read pretty quickly so I will set that number at 52. I am most excited about the Graceling series my mother loaned me, the new Oatricia Briggs book Frost Burned, Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare, the last Sookie Stackhouse, and 24 Hours That Changed the World by Adam Hamilton. My biggest goal is to read the Bible this year.

Worked for the Mouse: 2004-2007 (Attractions and Entertainment) Polynesian with family: 2004, 2005, 2007 POFQ and Disney Cruise with family: 2006 POFQ Honeymoon: 2010

Book Challenge 2014 /52. Currently reading: Cain's Blood by Geoffrey Girard
Finished: Night Broken by Patricia Briggs Project Cain by Geoffrey Girard Independent Study by Joelle Charboneau The Customer Rules by Lee Cockerell
Friend of a Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:15 PM   #87
CharityLynn
DIS Veteran

I think I'll go with 30.

ON hand right now I have a Nora Roberts book, Finding the Dream. And I have Gena Showalter's Alice in Zombieland. OH I have Dust and Decay too got to read that one.
Bay Lake Tower 10/10

CharityLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:51 AM   #88
funkychunkymonkey
DIS Veteran

Where do you all find decent free e books to read? Im really not into reading all the classics right now. romace or mystery would be good, help?
RIP:
guiedo (guiena pig) bluebeard
funkychunkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:12 AM   #89
Robindianne
DIS Veteran

Thumbs up

I'm in! I will read 12 books that aren't my textbooks! I received Homer's Odyssey (about a cat) and the original 2 versions of The Nutcracker (1816 and an 1845 adaptation). Ooh it is a sinister tale so far : >}

Robindianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:25 AM   #90
Beezle2
DIS Veteran

I want to be in! Subscribed and will set my goal at 75 books for the year,

Looking forward to hearing about you reading

Beezle2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: