Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 09:16 AM   #871
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it

I am just about done with Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa. It was a YA vampire book-- I never thought I would like another one of those, but this one was really good. I might actually read the sequel. It's also going to be a movie.

I never got into Beautiful Creatures, and the movie looks.... terrible. Usually a trailer makes me want to see a movie, but that trailer turned me off completely!

Immortal Rules was my 7 of 50-- I probably won't end up making my goal because I'm trying to write a new one by March, then I have to edit my contracted one by April and write the contracted sequel by October... it will be insanity.
Ginny Favers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:22 AM   #872
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietgirll View Post
Ugh...so I've been wanting to read something light and fun, and having no luck finding anything! I even started one of those Stephanie bond books, but it just wasn't for me. So, I decided to go back and read some of my tried and true fluff, and that's Stephanie plum! When I first got my kindle, I read her books back to back to back(I'd polish them off in a couple of hours!), so I decided to read one for the money again, and go from there- I might just retread them all! So book 9 for me is going to be one for the money by Janet evanovich!
If you want a light-hearted read, you may want to try any of the Jeremy Clarkson books. He's a presenter on the British version of Top Gear, but he also writes non-car-related columns for the Sunday Times.

Clarkson is funny, irreverent, and is an equal-opportunity county-basher (but I have to admit, the, US and France seem to bear the brunt.)

His own country's goverment isn't spared either. The UK is considering instituting a national oath, much like our Pledge of Allegiance. After much questioning of possibilities, he decides that HP Sauce is the last true British food invention, so he devises this pledge: "I pledge allegiance to the sauce of the United Kingdom of Great Britain, and to the nation for which it stands, one sauce, with two distinct flavors, with nourishment and joy for all."
Each essay stands on its own, and it's easy to put down and pick up again later. After all the murder and mayhem in the Louise Penny novels this is a welcome break.

Queen Coleen
PigletsPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-18-2013, 11:32 AM   #873
tiggrbaby
We must work harder to stay under the radar for this oneWe always bring our own inflatable noodle

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigletsPal2 View Post
If you want a light-hearted read, you may want to try any of the Jeremy Clarkson books. He's a presenter on the British version of Top Gear, but he also writes non-car-related columns for the Sunday Times.

Clarkson is funny, irreverent, and is an equal-opportunity county-basher (but I have to admit, the, US and France seem to bear the brunt.)

His own country's goverment isn't spared either. The UK is considering instituting a national oath, much like our Pledge of Allegiance. After much questioning of possibilities, he decides that HP Sauce is the last true British food invention, so he devises this pledge: "I pledge allegiance to the sauce of the United Kingdom of Great Britain, and to the nation for which it stands, one sauce, with two distinct flavors, with nourishment and joy for all."
Each essay stands on its own, and it's easy to put down and pick up again later. After all the murder and mayhem in the Louise Penny novels this is a welcome break.

Queen Coleen
Oooh, I love the British Top Gear show! Have to check out his stuff!

DISboards 2104 Book Challenge: 40/40
DISboards 2013 Book Challenge: 36/35
tiggrbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:24 PM   #874
nemofans
DIS Veteran

Finished book #8: The Alchemyst: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel by Michael Scott

This is a YA book & I enjoyed it. It has a variety of creatures; sorcerers, vampires, were animals, undead, beasts along w/2 teenage twins that are pulled into this world by being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I was drawn to this b/c of Nicholas Flamel & the sorcerer's stone from the Harry Potter series 1st book. I was surprised to find out that Nicholas Flamel did really exist in our world & there is a theory that he & his wife did actually use the sorcerer's stone to make the elixir of life. This is the 1st book in a 6 book series & I will read the rest too. This is also going to be a movie.

Twin 15-year-old siblings Sophie and Josh Newman take summer jobs in San Francisco across the street from one another: she at a coffee shop, he at a bookstore owned by Nick and Perry Fleming. In the very first chapter, armed goons garbed in black with "dead-looking skin and... marble eyes" (actually Golems) storm the bookshop, take Perry hostage and swipe a rare Book (but not before Josh snatches its two most important pages). The stolen volume is the Codex, an ancient text of magical wisdom. Nick Fleming is really Nicholas Flamel, the 14th-century alchemist who could turn base metal into gold, and make a potion that ensures immortality. Sophie and Josh learn that they are mentioned in the Codex's prophecies. Mayhem ensues, as Irish author Scott draws on a wide knowledge of world mythology to stage a battle between the Dark Elders and their hired gun—Dr. John Dee—against the forces of good, led by Flamel and the twins. Not only do they need the Codex back to stop Dee and company, but the immortality potion must be brewed afresh every month. Time is running out, literally, for the Flamels. This book proceeds at a breakneck pace, and populated by the likes of werewolves and vampires.

8/2000 WDW Grosvenor Resort (got engaged!), 11/2005 DL PPH CL, 12/2006 WDW Poly, 02/2008 WDW AKL, 2/2010 WDW CR CL, 2/2011 DCL Magic, 11/2011 DL GCH, 10/2012 WDW AKL CL

2013 Book Challenge: 87 out of 75 GOAL MET!!
2014 Book Challenge: 86 out of 85 GOAL MET!!
nemofans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:34 PM   #875
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

I'm going through this thread from the beginning to get ideas...

I didn't realize there was a format we were following for reviewing! Sorry!

Also....Is there a Goodreads group for us? If so what is it called?
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne, #15- Monument 14: Sky on Fire Emmy Laybourne, #16- The Magicians Lev Grossman, #17, #18, #19- The Strain Trilogy Guillermo Del Toro,
#20- A Discovery of Witches Deborah Harkness, #21- Postmortem Patricia Cornwell, #22- The Darkest Minds Alexandra Bracken, #23- The Heist Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg, #24- The Town Bentley Little, #25- The Chase Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg
Soldier's*Sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:16 PM   #876
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier's*Sweeties
I'm going through this thread from the beginning to get ideas...

I didn't realize there was a format we were following for reviewing! Sorry!

Also....Is there a Goodreads group for us? If so what is it called?
I don't think there is one yet but let's create one
Old 02-18-2013, 02:35 PM   #877
kimblebee
now my thoughts will be worth 5 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbellandeeyor

I don't think there is one yet but let's create one
There is, but I'm not sure what its called. I'm sure someone will be along who can tell you.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:51 PM   #878
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimblebee

There is, but I'm not sure what its called. I'm sure someone will be along who can tell you.
Thank you
Old 02-18-2013, 04:32 PM   #879
smkiya
Sorta new. ;) Still gets a tag
THREADJACKER ALERT!

So I got a late start, but I finished my first book of the year. I originally started with "The Night Circus", but I couldn't get into it for some reason. I haven't read any novels for over a year so it was a slow start. I went to the library this past Thursday to pick up a couple of books that I knew would be quick light reads before I tried The Night Circus again. "The Shoemaker's Wife" was on the Rapid Read shelf (allowed on loan for only one week) and it was on my Goodreads 'to read' list.

Book 1 of 20 - "The Shoemaker's Wife" (4 out of 5 stars)
I loved this book, and read it during every free minute I had. In fact, I just finished reading it. It was a beautifully written story and the details of life in Italy and New York took me back in time to places I would like to have seen. The characters were well developed and likeable. I only gave it 4 stars because I think the ending dragged on quite a bit, and in my opinion should have ended much sooner than it did. I found myself reading the last 30 or so pages without the same intensity as I had with the rest of the book. Overall... I laughed, I cried, I loved...
smkiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:22 PM   #880
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimblebee View Post
I think it's called the DISreaders.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:30 PM   #881
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom

I think it's called the DISreaders.
Thank you I will look for it
Old 02-18-2013, 06:31 PM   #882
dizluvah
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemofans View Post
Finished book #8: The Alchemyst: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel by Michael Scott

This is a YA book & I enjoyed it. It has a variety of creatures; sorcerers, vampires, were animals, undead, beasts along w/2 teenage twins that are pulled into this world by being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I was drawn to this b/c of Nicholas Flamel & the sorcerer's stone from the Harry Potter series 1st book. I was surprised to find out that Nicholas Flamel did really exist in our world & there is a theory that he & his wife did actually use the sorcerer's stone to make the elixir of life. This is the 1st book in a 6 book series & I will read the rest too. This is also going to be a movie.

Twin 15-year-old siblings Sophie and Josh Newman take summer jobs in San Francisco across the street from one another: she at a coffee shop, he at a bookstore owned by Nick and Perry Fleming. In the very first chapter, armed goons garbed in black with "dead-looking skin and... marble eyes" (actually Golems) storm the bookshop, take Perry hostage and swipe a rare Book (but not before Josh snatches its two most important pages). The stolen volume is the Codex, an ancient text of magical wisdom. Nick Fleming is really Nicholas Flamel, the 14th-century alchemist who could turn base metal into gold, and make a potion that ensures immortality. Sophie and Josh learn that they are mentioned in the Codex's prophecies. Mayhem ensues, as Irish author Scott draws on a wide knowledge of world mythology to stage a battle between the Dark Elders and their hired gun—Dr. John Dee—against the forces of good, led by Flamel and the twins. Not only do they need the Codex back to stop Dee and company, but the immortality potion must be brewed afresh every month. Time is running out, literally, for the Flamels. This book proceeds at a breakneck pace, and populated by the likes of werewolves and vampires.
i'm adding this to my to-read list! thanks
Old 02-18-2013, 06:36 PM   #883
StephMK
DIS Veteran

Goal - 20, but I need to bump that up to 30 I think!

#7 - The Death Trials - James Dashner -YA series, post-global warming world kind of book. Eh, I loved the first and raced through it and the 2nd was ok. The last book did not wrap things up as surprisingly or as neatly as I'd prefer. It's a YA series so maybe the closure was fine for the age group.

#8 - Sweethearts - Sara Yarr - YA book, short read. I think this was a pixelofink discount pick but I rented it from the library. Bittersweet, held my attention. Two outcast kids, a bad thing happens, they are not together anymore, life goes on for one as a teen. It's hard to give a review without giving away the plot.

#9 - To be Sung Underwater - Thomas McNeal - LOVED this book. Girl grows up, moves, first love, then life changed her path. She looks back to see what might have been. Again, I hate to say much because sometimes I don't want too know much before I read a book. Started this yesterday and had soo much trouble putting it down. Beautifully written & stays with you after finishing. If anyone reads this, would love a message since there's one part I'm dying to discuss and have no one to share about it!

I will say that I don't have to have a happy ending to love a book but I'm ready for one now. Up next, something light because I need it!

Last edited by StephMK; 02-18-2013 at 11:15 PM.
StephMK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:38 PM   #884
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

Just finished up #3- Whole Lotta Trouble by Stephanie Bond. I already gave a synopsis up thread(now I know the format so from now on I'll do the #, book, synopsis, review thing).

I thought it was okay. The first few Stephanie Bond books I read I really liked! This was just meh....

On to #4!
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne, #15- Monument 14: Sky on Fire Emmy Laybourne, #16- The Magicians Lev Grossman, #17, #18, #19- The Strain Trilogy Guillermo Del Toro,
#20- A Discovery of Witches Deborah Harkness, #21- Postmortem Patricia Cornwell, #22- The Darkest Minds Alexandra Bracken, #23- The Heist Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg, #24- The Town Bentley Little, #25- The Chase Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg
Soldier's*Sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:19 PM   #885
portia9
DIS Veteran

Book Goal 100

Read #30 New York Valentine by Carmen Reid.

I have finished this Carmen Reid series now. Light and easy reads.

Book Challenge Goal for 2014-100 books

blueeyedboy~It Happened One Summer~Imperial Requiem~The Search for Anne Perry~A Sprig of Lavender~Pride and Prejudice:The Scenes Jane Austen Never Wrote~The Village Newcomers~The Mist on Bronte Moor~A Village in Jeopardy~The Next Best Thing~Village School~Life After Life~A Room of One's Own~The Rosie Project~Summertime~Cheaper By The Dozen~Belles on Their Toes~A Perfect Life~Kilmeny of the Orchard~The Real Life Mary Poppins~A Proud Taste of Scarlet and Miniver~Expectations of Happiness~The Last Wife of Henry VIII~Tempting Fate~The Rebuttal~A Storm of Swords~A Feast for Crows~A Dance of Dragons~Green Grass~Girt~Village Books~Searching for Shona~The Wonderful Wizard of Oz~The Marvelous Land of Oz~Ozma of Oz~The Maze Runner~Revenge Wears Prada~Captain Wentworth Home From the Sea~Mr Darcy's Great Escape~None But You~For You Alone~Tess of the D'urbervilles~The Pursuit of God~Is It Just Me?~Notes To My Mother-In-Law~The Little Friend~About the B'nai Bagels~Aunt Dimity's Death~Poldark~A Man Lay Dead~Attempting Elizabeth~Mrs Dalloway~The Mayor of Casterbridge~Speaking From Among the Bones~The Second Chance~Aunt Dimity and the Duke~Volunteering~The Fellowship of the Ring~The Two Towers~The Return of the King~Demelza~Innocence of Father Brown~The Lowland~The Europeans~North and South~Quartet in Autumn~Jane Eyre~Collected Works of A.J.Fikry~The Sisterhood~Come and Tell Me Some Lies~How Many Camels Are There in Holland?~
portia9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: