Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2013, 05:37 PM   #856
kimmar067
We have squash and zucchini coming outta the wazoo
I just shot coffee through my NOSE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier's*Sweeties View Post
I saw your post ...I'm sorry it didn't turn out the way you wanted it to.

I started to read it last year but couldn't get into it. Maybe I'll see the movie and THEN try again.
.....well, it wasn't like I wanted a 'happy ending'....I just wanted the movie to be true to the book...
July 1992~off-site Dec 1999~CSR Feb 2001~DxL Nov 2001~Dolphin July 2002~CBR Aug 2002~WL Feb 2005~AKL/concierge Feb 2005~AKL Aug 2006~PoP C Aug 2006~AKL Dec 2007~DolphinJuly/Aug 2010~Mystic Dunes April 2013 ~ AKL"That's IT! The absolutely, positively VERY LAST Marino....." "We WEREN'T the 'Castle Family', We Didn't..." "The Trippie Who Hath...""Am I Up to the Challenge..."
I've been BOO'ED!!!
kimmar067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:38 PM   #857
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmar067

.....well, it wasn't like I wanted a 'happy ending'....I just wanted the movie to be true to the book...
That's how I feel about True Blood.
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne, #15- Monument 14: Sky on Fire Emmy Laybourne, #16- The Magicians Lev Grossman, #17, #18, #19- The Strain Trilogy Guillermo Del Toro, #20- A Discovery of Witches Deborah Harkness, #21- Postmortem Patricia Cornwell, #22- The Darkest Minds Alexandra Bracken, #23- The Heist Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg, #24- The Town Bentley Little, #25- The Chase Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg, #26- Relic Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child
Soldier's*Sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-17-2013, 05:43 PM   #858
kimmar067

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier's*Sweeties View Post
That's how I feel about True Blood.
....I never got 'into' that - the books OR the show....
July 1992~off-site Dec 1999~CSR Feb 2001~DxL Nov 2001~Dolphin July 2002~CBR Aug 2002~WL Feb 2005~AKL/concierge Feb 2005~AKL Aug 2006~PoP C Aug 2006~AKL Dec 2007~DolphinJuly/Aug 2010~Mystic Dunes April 2013 ~ AKL"That's IT! The absolutely, positively VERY LAST Marino....." "We WEREN'T the 'Castle Family', We Didn't..." "The Trippie Who Hath...""Am I Up to the Challenge..."
I've been BOO'ED!!!
Old 02-17-2013, 05:45 PM   #859
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmar067 View Post
....I never got 'into' that - the books OR the show....
I started with the show and then read the books. I like the books much better. I find them a little "less corny" than the show.
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne, #15- Monument 14: Sky on Fire Emmy Laybourne, #16- The Magicians Lev Grossman, #17, #18, #19- The Strain Trilogy Guillermo Del Toro, #20- A Discovery of Witches Deborah Harkness, #21- Postmortem Patricia Cornwell, #22- The Darkest Minds Alexandra Bracken, #23- The Heist Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg, #24- The Town Bentley Little, #25- The Chase Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg, #26- Relic Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child
Soldier's*Sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:50 PM   #860
kimmar067

.....I hate when I read a book and my pre-conceived ideas get blown away by a movie.....
I've been BOO'ED!!!
Old 02-17-2013, 07:26 PM   #861
kimblebee
now my thoughts will be worth 5 cents

Goal 50

#15 Rush Home Road by Lori Lansens

I didn't think I would do it, but this book gets a 5/5. There was not one part of this book that I didn't like. Everything flowed together so well and there were no slow parts. I am so glad I read this thread, otherwise I would have missed this book. So thank you to everyone that recommended it. I hope this is never made into a movie because it won't measure up.

Not sure what's up next. I'll update when I do.

ETA I've settled on The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas.

Last edited by kimblebee; 02-19-2013 at 03:39 AM.
kimblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:39 PM   #862
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Finished #6 out of 24 - Into the Darkest Corner. That was certainly a page-turner. I definitely enjoyed it, although I will say it was definitely a dark book. The author did a good job of really making me feel the fear of the main character. Awful. But I like a book like that every now and again! Whew....

Anyway, now I need to figure out what to read next and I have no idea. I hate being bookless.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:20 PM   #863
funkychunkymonkey
DIS Veteran

Missed a book last post (bad me!)

I read dirty martini! was a really good book!
RIP:
guiedo (guiena pig) bluebeard
funkychunkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:33 PM   #864
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post

Anyway, now I need to figure out what to read next and I have no idea. I hate being bookless.
There is nothing worse than being bookless! LOL!

I keep a running list on Goodreads of books I want to read - roughly in the order I want to read them so that I'm never left wondering what I'm going to read next, but I do switch them around now and then depending on my mood and what's available.

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife, #16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker, #26 Rainshadow Road, #27 The Art of Hearing Heartbeats, #28 Little Bee, #29 The Art Forger, #30 One Plus One, #31 Double Whammy, #32 The Girl You Left Behind, #33 Orphan Train, #34 Big Little Lies, #35 The Good Girl, #36 The Girl with All the Gifts, #37 Outlander, #38 Lucid, #39 You, #40 Dragonfly in Amber

Currently reading: #41 Voyager

Last edited by threeboysmom; 02-17-2013 at 09:44 PM.
threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:39 PM   #865
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

#9 out of 30

Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple

I thought I was going to quit this one, I really did. Right around page 30-40ish, I was so bored and just couldn't get into the author's style of writing with this collage of emails, notes, letters, etc. that were telling the story. But I thought to myself, I'll give it another 30 pages or so. I'm glad I did!

By around page 100, I was into it. I had gotten to know the characters and their quirkiness. Even going so far as laughing out loud (the character, Audrey, I thought was hysterical).

By page 200 I was in for the long haul. At this point I HAD to know how this story was going to pan out for everyone. And what the heck DID happen to Bernadette and where DID she go??

I wouldn't say I loved it, but I did enjoy it very much.

I tend to like books that don't always follow the same plotline: 1) a ghastly murder and nobody knows who or why or 2) a steamy romance where the 2 "lovers" fight against their desires for each other or 3) dysfunctional sisters that have to come to terms with their lives so that they can become stronger together as well... sisters.

So anytime a book comes along that's slightly quirky and off the beaten path or a very unique or intriguing plotline, I'm game.

Next up:

The Fall of Giants by Ken Follett

I'll be cozing up to this book for the rest of winter most likely, lol.

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife, #16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker, #26 Rainshadow Road, #27 The Art of Hearing Heartbeats, #28 Little Bee, #29 The Art Forger, #30 One Plus One, #31 Double Whammy, #32 The Girl You Left Behind, #33 Orphan Train, #34 Big Little Lies, #35 The Good Girl, #36 The Girl with All the Gifts, #37 Outlander, #38 Lucid, #39 You, #40 Dragonfly in Amber

Currently reading: #41 Voyager

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:50 PM   #866
stacy347
I carried a watermelon?

Goal 30

Book #11 Twilight's Eternal Embrace by Karen Michelle Nutt

This was a period piece vampire romance story. Total fluff read, and just what I needed after a super stressful week! I don't usually go for the sappy romance stuff, but if they throw some supernatural stuff in there, it is more appealing to me.

Book #12 Aurora Sky: Vampire Hunter by Nikki Jefford

Obviously another vamp story, LOL. I tend to get into these in spurts and I've already started another. This one was in the YA genre. Good plot with gov't involvement in the vamp hunting. Fun book, definitely needs a sequel.

Can I raise my goal to 45 please? Thanks!
May 16-22, 2010 Seralago Resort ~ so much fun!
June 17-23, 2012 Regal Palms ~ loved it!
Oct. 4, 2012 Disney on Ice: Rockin' Ever After
stacy347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:24 PM   #867
quietgirll
DIS Veteran

Ugh...so I've been wanting to read something light and fun, and having no luck finding anything! I even started one of those Stephanie bond books, but it just wasn't for me. So, I decided to go back and read some of my tried and true fluff, and that's Stephanie plum! When I first got my kindle, I read her books back to back to back(I'd polish them off in a couple of hours!), so I decided to read one for the money again, and go from there- I might just retread them all! So book 9 for me is going to be one for the money by Janet evanovich!
Old 02-17-2013, 11:38 PM   #868
tiggrbaby
We must work harder to stay under the radar for this oneWe always bring our own inflatable noodle

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbellandeeyor View Post
I love the giving tree

In my case it is funny my boss represents a company can't say last time got points any way discovered I have light sensitivity and was given special glasses last October and it has helped a lot so I am re reading books and learning vocabulary most picked up as kids, or teens and the tablet helps a lot with that because I can read online and not only make the font the way I need it but also look up words easer
Some of my favs are YA books!

Things Not Seen by Andrew Clements (2 sequels)
A Mango-Shaped Space and Every Soul a Star by Wendy Mass
A Long Way From Chicago/A Year Down Yonder/Here Lies the Librarian/The Teacher's Funeral by Richard Peck

DISboards 2104 Book Challenge: 42/40
DISboards 2013 Book Challenge: 36/35
tiggrbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:10 AM   #869
Swimnoid
DIS Veteran

18 of 75

The Good Guy by Dean Koontz

This was one of his better ones IMHO. Koontz so often gets you gripped in some psychological type thriller only to solve it with a sudden monster. Not this one. This guy, Tim, is just sitting around his friend's bar and this guy comes up to him and starts a strange conversation, then passes him an envelope with $10,000 and a picture of a girl. The stranger tells him he'll get the rest when its finished. Soon after this other guy comes in who was the real intended receiver of the envelope. Tim decides to warn the intended victim. The book follows not only the chase but also who are these people, what are their backgrounds, why is the victim targeted etc etc. Fast paced and interesting.
Swimnoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:49 AM   #870
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggrbaby

Some of my favs are YA books!

Things Not Seen by Andrew Clements (2 sequels)
A Mango-Shaped Space and Every Soul a Star by Wendy Mass
A Long Way From Chicago/A Year Down Yonder/Here Lies the Librarian/The Teacher's Funeral by Richard Peck
Thank you

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: