Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 11:53 PM   #811
kimblebee
now my thoughts will be worth 5 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Got Disney"
Can you also add me to the list didn't see this before....
i will think of what book I want to add since I read 3 to 5 books at a time
See, I can't do this. I am a one book at a time kinda gal. Do you ever get plots or characters confused?
Old 02-13-2013, 11:59 PM   #812
DisneyMommyMichelle
I'm a TP nerd!
John Travolta = YUMMY!!
Have to let the banana dance
Thanks everyone for making me feel normal today!
Dork here I know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimblebee View Post
See, I can't do this. I am a one book at a time kinda gal. Do you ever get plots or characters confused?
I like to read 3 at a time. In order to get 'into' the book I am reading at that moment, I have to read the page I am starting on 2 times and then before I know it my brain picks right up on the back of the story and I am immersed!

Just a Rebel Homeschooler I guess....
DisneyMommyMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-14-2013, 08:49 AM   #813
dizluvah
DIS Veteran

I have increased my book goal for 2013 from 40 to 75 (on goodreads). Could you please update my goal here as well?

I just completed book #19
Keeper of the Bride by Tess Gerritsen

Not sure what I plan to read next - I usually base it on what looks interesting that is available for download from my state library to my Kindle.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:57 AM   #814
wvjules
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeboysmom View Post
My thoughts exactly on Night Circus. I loved it while reading it, although it was quite strange, lol, but not something I'm going to rave about.

You HAVE to put Into the Darkest Corner on your phone list! I am currently reading it (100 pages to go). I'm in a quandry - I want to read slow because I don't want it to end, but yet I want to keep picking it up and reading every spare minute I have because I need to find out what happens!!
Quote:
Read the review for it and it instantly went on the list! It sounds fantastic! Thanks : )
I added that book to my list too!

I'm currently reading Defending Jacob. Then next is Killing Lincoln (borrowed from DBF's Dad) and the Paris Wife (a gift from DBF's mom). So I'm actually going to hold to ACTUAL books in my hands. It's going to feel weird.

I also agree with the latest review of The Night Circus. I would love to have seen the images, although the reality probably wouldn't be as good as my imagination.

School is kicking my butt this semester. I'm really trying to squeeze in some pleasure reading. We're off to Deep Creek Lake this weekend and those are my quiet times and I enjoy reading up there. I hope to finish Defending Jacob and start Killing Lincoln this weekend. (Heck, I might even finish Defending Jacob tonight.)
wvjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:57 AM   #815
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Got Disney" View Post
Can you also add me to the list didn't see this before....
i will think of what book I want to add since I read 3 to 5 books at a time
Hi there! What would you like your book goal to be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizluvah View Post
I have increased my book goal for 2013 from 40 to 75 (on goodreads). Could you please update my goal here as well?
Duly noted!

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife, #16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker, #26 Rainshadow Road, #27 The Art of Hearing Heartbeats, #28 Little Bee, #29 The Art Forger, #30 One Plus One, #31 Double Whammy, #32 The Girl You Left Behind, #33 Orphan Train, #34 Big Little Lies, #35 The Good Girl, #36 The Girl with All the Gifts, #37 Outlander, #38 Lucid, #39 You, #40 Dragonfly in Amber

Currently reading: #41 Voyager

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:10 AM   #816
Debbie19
Mouseketeer

Goal 30

Book 4

Confessions of a Prairie...., this book was written by Nellie! I really enjoyed it. Her life, like that of many child actors had some major horrors but she retells them and moves on with humor. The Little House info isinteresting and her life story is admirable.

Starting Safe Haven.

Debbie

Last edited by Debbie19; 02-14-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Debbie19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:55 AM   #817
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it

Quote:
If you think that's bad, try writing 3 books at a time!
Ginny Favers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:40 PM   #818
tiggrbaby
We must work harder to stay under the radar for this oneWe always bring our own inflatable noodle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizluvah View Post

I just completed book #19

Not sure what I plan to read next - I usually base it on what looks interesting that is available for download from my state library to my Kindle.
So how was this book? I like her Rizzoli and Isles series.

DISboards 2104 Book Challenge: 42/40
DISboards 2013 Book Challenge: 36/35
tiggrbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:44 PM   #819
zippitydoo
DIS Veteran

Book 7 of 30: The Dinner by Herman Koch

It is about two couples who over dinner discuss what they should do about their sons who have been accused of murder.

2014 Book Challenge
Completed 75 of 75:
1.A Shade of Blood, 2.A Castle of Sand, 3.Takedown Twenty, 4.Louisiana Longshot, 5.Dirty Little Secrets, 6.The One You Love, 7.The One You Fear, 8.Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, 9.Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, 10.Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, 11.Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, 12.Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, 13.Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, 14.Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, 15.A Shadow of Light, 16.Hollow City, 17.Room, 18.The Barkeep, 19.A Blaze of Sun, 20.I Think I Love You, 21.Broken, 22.Body Movers, 23.A Gate of Night, 24.Trudge, 25.Soldier On, 26.In Harm’s Way, 27.A Pound of Flesh, 28.Taboo, 29.Hide and Seek, 30.Daddy’s Home, 31.Weddings Can Be Murder, 32.The Undead Heart, 33.Moving Day, 34.Monument 14, 35.Sky on Fire, 36.Savage Drift, 37.NOS4A2, 38.Her Last Breath, 39.One Lavender Ribbon, 40.Innocent in Las Vegas, 41.Saving Grace, 42.To Kill For, Awakening, 43.City of Bones, 44.City of Ashes, 45.City of Glass, 46.City of Fallen Angels, 47.City of Lost Souls, 48.City of Heavenly Fire, 49.A Break of Day, 50.The Gray and Guilty Sea, 51.Twenty-Eight and a Half Wishes, 52.The Profiler, 53.Too Close To Home, 54.Hushabye, 55.The Girl Who Never Came Back, 56.Fatal Debt, 57.Deadly Bonds, 58.Kill The Competition, 59.Got Your Number, 60.In Deep Voodoo, 61.Crazy Little Things, 62.My Sister’s Grave, 63.Invisible, 64.Taken, 65.Love and Decay, 66.Episode 1, 67.Darkhouse, 68.Invisible(Ivy Malone #1), 69.Not What She Seems, 70.Tuesday’s Child, 71.The Best Medicine, 72.Castle Cay, 73.Hidden Secrets, 74.The Mind Readers, 75.Eleven
zippitydoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:38 PM   #820
WowLookAtThat
DIS Veteran

Book # 13 An Suitable Bride by Jane Feather

Review: Because of Valentine's Day I jumped into another lurid romance novel. This book wasn't so bad. Basically the heroine, Alexandra Douglas is an intelligent woman who has basically been screwed out of her father's will and her distant cousin (the next male in the line) has got everything, her dad's land, home and money but the 10,000 that rightfully belonged to Alexandra and her invalid sister was never give because legally her cousin was not obligated to do it (but honestly,it would have been the right thing to do). Alexandra disguises herself as a dowdy librarian for her cousin's estate and is trying to get some money for her sister and herself.

Peregrine (that name!!!) Sullivan is the hero and he is curious about the librarian and soon he discovers her secret. Of course he is in love with her because this is a romance novel and he wants to help her. It is a pretty good story with tons of intrigue and romance.

There is one thing that just ticks me off. So, basically Alexandra's father, Arthur had been left by their mother. He divorced her and through a legal loophole he had his daughters declared as illegitimate. This means that whatever money he had set aside for his daughters legally doesn't have to be given to them. He wanted them taken cared for so he set aside 10,000 for his daughters to inherit but died before this could be legal. He had remarried after the divorce but had no children with his second wife. It is easy to blame the selfish and greedy cousin for Alexandra's problems.

However, although the right thing for the cousin to do was to give the intended 10,000 he was not legally obligated to do so. I am not mad at the cousin but at Arthur. I mean, its bad enough he had his daughters declared as *******s which could bar them from good marriages (the book is set in the 1700s) but he basically gave NOTHING to his daughters and didn't even care about their well-being. I mean even Onyx "Spread the Love" Jewel cared for his daughters, married to their mothers or not!
WowLookAtThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:57 PM   #821
StephMK
DIS Veteran

I need to update and keep losing track of my number!

I finished #5 that I was working on - Gift of Fear, Gavn DeBecker - very interesesting read about behavior of criminals and how intuition and true fear can help save you.

I forgot to list #4 - Sara's Game - it was ok, I think it was a PixelofInk book. It was a quick read with lots of action but predictable in spots.

Next up - #6 - The Scorch Trials, Dashner - #2 in YA series after Maze Runner. I didn't like it as much but reserved the 3rd book from our library. The series is about life on earth after dramatic changes and a group of kids who are put through several challenges without knowing their purpose. I look forward to hopefully reading a good ending about the motivation of the group controlling the trials and journey.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:01 PM   #822
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

I just finished #8 out of 30.

Into the Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes.

I'd have to say this is my favorite book so far this year. I was obsessed with reading it. The plot drew me in immediately. Cathy meets the man of her dreams - he's handsome, successful, and her friends adore him. But then things begin to go horribly wrong driving her to the brink of insanity. But nobody believes her side of the story and she is left alone to deal with the madness. The book was gripping and disturbing at the same time. Many times I wanted to fling the book away from me, but yet I couldn't stop myself from reading it every spare minute I had.

I was ready to give this book 5 stars until it ended. I was waiting for some huge twist, but ended up a little disappointed. I don't want to give anything away so I won't say more. But I was one of the few that liked Gone Girl's ending so I guess my preference for endings isn't the norm, lol.

Next up:

#9 Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple

This book has great reviews and has made it to several "top books" lists, but I don't know. So far it's not grabbing me. I do NOT like the writing style at all. It's a mixture of letters, emails, notes, etc. Gosh, just tell me the story like normal authors do!! lol

Anyways, I have a HARD time quitting books. I'll read another 30 pages or so and see how I feel then...

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife, #16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker, #26 Rainshadow Road, #27 The Art of Hearing Heartbeats, #28 Little Bee, #29 The Art Forger, #30 One Plus One, #31 Double Whammy, #32 The Girl You Left Behind, #33 Orphan Train, #34 Big Little Lies, #35 The Good Girl, #36 The Girl with All the Gifts, #37 Outlander, #38 Lucid, #39 You, #40 Dragonfly in Amber

Currently reading: #41 Voyager

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:34 AM   #823
portia9
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigletsPal2 View Post
You really need to get your priorities straight!

Queen Colleen

Book Goal 100

Book #29 The Third Annie Valentine book by Carmen Reid and the title escapes me right now.

Book Challenge Goal for 2014-100 books

blueeyedboy~It Happened One Summer~Imperial Requiem~The Search for Anne Perry~A Sprig of Lavender~Pride and Prejudice:The Scenes Jane Austen Never Wrote~The Village Newcomers~The Mist on Bronte Moor~A Village in Jeopardy~The Next Best Thing~Village School~Life After Life~A Room of One's Own~The Rosie Project~Summertime~Cheaper By The Dozen~Belles on Their Toes~A Perfect Life~Kilmeny of the Orchard~The Real Life Mary Poppins~A Proud Taste of Scarlet and Miniver~Expectations of Happiness~The Last Wife of Henry VIII~Tempting Fate~The Rebuttal~A Storm of Swords~A Feast for Crows~A Dance of Dragons~Green Grass~Girt~Village Books~Searching for Shona~The Wonderful Wizard of Oz~The Marvelous Land of Oz~Ozma of Oz~The Maze Runner~Revenge Wears Prada~Captain Wentworth Home From the Sea~Mr Darcy's Great Escape~None But You~For You Alone~Tess of the D'urbervilles~The Pursuit of God~Is It Just Me?~Notes To My Mother-In-Law~The Little Friend~About the B'nai Bagels~Aunt Dimity's Death~Poldark~A Man Lay Dead~Attempting Elizabeth~Mrs Dalloway~The Mayor of Casterbridge~Speaking From Among the Bones~The Second Chance~Aunt Dimity and the Duke~Volunteering~The Fellowship of the Ring~The Two Towers~The Return of the King~Demelza~Innocence of Father Brown~The Lowland~The Europeans~North and South~Quartet in Autumn~Jane Eyre~Collected Works of A.J.Fikry~The Sisterhood~Come and Tell Me Some Lies~How Many Camels Are There in Holland?~
portia9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:03 AM   #824
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeboysmom View Post
I just finished #8 out of 30.

Into the Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes.

I'd have to say this is my favorite book so far this year. I was obsessed with reading it. The plot drew me in immediately. Cathy meets the man of her dreams - he's handsome, successful, and her friends adore him. But then things begin to go horribly wrong driving her to the brink of insanity. But nobody believes her side of the story and she is left alone to deal with the madness. The book was gripping and disturbing at the same time. Many times I wanted to fling the book away from me, but yet I couldn't stop myself from reading it every spare minute I had.

I was ready to give this book 5 stars until it ended. I was waiting for some huge twist, but ended up a little disappointed. I don't want to give anything away so I won't say more. But I was one of the few that liked Gone Girl's ending so I guess my preference for endings isn't the norm, lol.
I think I'm going to go pick this one up today at the library. They have two available copies and I'm just not enjoying this non-fiction book I'm reading.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:50 AM   #825
dizluvah
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggrbaby View Post
So how was this book? I like her Rizzoli and Isles series.
I gave it 3 stars on Goodreads - I liked it but didnt' love it. This one of her early works that is often dubbed a "romance novel" especially because it was published by Harlequin. That being said, the romance didn't bother me or detract from the compelling detective/mystery aspect of the story. Unlike many of her books there is minimal medical information -one character is a nurse but no real medical details. While I like her Rizzoli and Isles books much more, I would not hesitate to read her early works based on my experience with Keeper of the Bride.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: