Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 08:33 AM   #796
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimblebee View Post
Goal 50

#14 Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

3.5/5 Good book. Weird, but good. I don't hate it but I don't love it. I enjoyed it while I was actually reading it, but when I put it down I wasn't in a rush to pick it up again. If made into a movie, it HAS to be 3D. The descriptions were really rich and at times I wanted to be able to touch what they were talking about.

Next up is Rush Home Road- after I reread this thread. I made a list of books to read from this thread and had it stored on my phone. I had to reset my phone and lost the list. I am so sad because there were a few I really wanted to read. Hopefully I can find them again.
My thoughts exactly on Night Circus. I loved it while reading it, although it was quite strange, lol, but not something I'm going to rave about.

You HAVE to put Into the Darkest Corner on your phone list! I am currently reading it (100 pages to go). I'm in a quandry - I want to read slow because I don't want it to end, but yet I want to keep picking it up and reading every spare minute I have because I need to find out what happens!!

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife,#16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker, #26 Rainshadow Road, #27 The Art of Hearing Heartbeats,#28 Little Bee,#29 The Art Forger, #30 One Plus One, #31 Double Whammy, #32 The Girl You Left Behind, #33 Orphan Train

Currently reading: #34 Big Little Lies

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:26 AM   #797
Swimnoid
DIS Veteran

17 of 75

Private London by Jame Patterson & Mark Pearson

A girl and her mom are kidnapped on her 13th birthday and her father refuses to pay the ransom. So the mother is brutally raped and murdered in front of the child just before the girl is rescued. Later when she is in college in England she is kidnapped again! Is it connected or not?

This is a good quick read with lots of suspense and a few good twists.
Swimnoid is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-13-2013, 10:58 AM   #798
amberg93
DIS Veteran

Is it okay if I start this now? I think I'll go for about 25 this year. I'm not sure how many I read last year, but I think it'll be a good place.

So far I've got 3 books done. And I'm working on my 4th.

Thus far:
1) The Fault in Our Stars - John Green
2) Looking for Alaska - John Green
3) The Best of Me - Nicholas Sparks
4) *In progress* Mistborn - Brandon Sanderson
amberg93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:43 PM   #799
tinkerbellfan6880
pixie

Have read 12 books out 80 so far. Right now I am reading the book "The Secret Keeper" by Kate Morton.

2014 Reading Challenge: 21 out of 100 books

2013 Reading Challenge Completed: 92 out of 80 books read!
tinkerbellfan6880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:54 PM   #800
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberg93 View Post
Is it okay if I start this now? I think I'll go for about 25 this year. I'm not sure how many I read last year, but I think it'll be a good place.

So far I've got 3 books done. And I'm working on my 4th.

Thus far:
1) The Fault in Our Stars - John Green
2) Looking for Alaska - John Green
3) The Best of Me - Nicholas Sparks
4) *In progress* Mistborn - Brandon Sanderson
Welcome amberg93!

Keep checking back. We'd love to hear more of what you're reading this year!

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife,#16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker, #26 Rainshadow Road, #27 The Art of Hearing Heartbeats,#28 Little Bee,#29 The Art Forger, #30 One Plus One, #31 Double Whammy, #32 The Girl You Left Behind, #33 Orphan Train

Currently reading: #34 Big Little Lies

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:01 PM   #801
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

Because the last two books were kind of "Eh", I chose "Confessions of a Shopaholic" to read next as #11. OMG-you can just say Sophie Kinsella's name and I start laughing. I love this, and all her books. The only problem is that at the rate I read, her books are a little pricey (I got a GC for Christmas, and the first thing I said is , "I'm buying some Sophie Kinsella books!") Any suggestions for authors who are as (or almost as) funny, but less expensive. I like Stephanie Bond a lot as a substitute, any others?
Old 02-13-2013, 01:03 PM   #802
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom
Because the last two books were kind of "Eh", I chose "Confessions of a Shopaholic" to read next as #11. OMG-you can just say Sophie Kinsella's name and I start laughing. I love this, and all her books. The only problem is that at the rate I read, her books are a little pricey (I got a GC for Christmas, and the first thing I said is , "I'm buying some Sophie Kinsella books!") Any suggestions for authors who are as (or almost as) funny, but less expensive. I like Stephanie Bond a lot as a substitute, any others?
Mary Kay Andrews... Start with Hissy Fit!
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne, #15- Monument 14: Sky on Fire Emmy Laybourne, #16- The Magicians Lev Grossman, #17, #18, #19- The Strain Trilogy Guillermo Del Toro,
#20- A Discovery of Witches Deborah Harkness
Soldier's*Sweeties is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:23 PM   #803
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

Goal: 52 books this year

#12 down and done.

Still Life by Louise Penny. Inspector Armand Gamache must solve the murder of a much-loved member of the Three Pines Community, a Canadian town so tiny it's not even on the map. Jean Neal, not even known to be an artist, was killed two days after her painting "Still Life" was accepted to be shown at the local annual arts festival. Was her death related to the painting, or was she killed because she planned a big party, inviting neighbors into her home for the first time since moving in many years ago?

This is the first if the series, and I couldn't put it down. I started reading it at about 8:30 last night and closed it at 2:00 this morning.

Queen Colleen
PigletsPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:40 PM   #804
nemofans
DIS Veteran

Finished book #7: The Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King

This book was okay. The 2nd half was better reading. It's a fairy tale instead of his usual horror stories. Slow beginning, too much narration, predictable plot, so I give it a 3 out of 5.

A kingdom is in turmoil as the old king dies and his successor must do battle for the throne. Pitted against an evil wizard and a would-be rival, Prince Peter makes a daring escape and rallies the forces of Good to fight for what is rightfully his. This is a masterpiece of classic dragons-and-magic fantasy that only Stephen King could have written!

Next book: The Alchemyst: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel

I've been BOO'd!!

8/2000 Grosvenor Resort (got engaged!), 11/2005 DL PPH CL, 12/2006 Poly, 02/2008 AKL, 2/2010 CR CL, 2/2011 DCL Magic, 11/2011 DL GCH, 10/2012 AKL CL

2013 Book Challenge: 87 out of 75 GOAL MET!!
2014 Book Challenge: 71 out of 85
nemofans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:00 PM   #805
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

I wanted to read today ended up cleaning house instead
Old 02-13-2013, 09:36 PM   #806
DisneyMommyMichelle
I'm a TP nerd!
John Travolta = YUMMY!!
Have to let the banana dance
Thanks everyone for making me feel normal today!
Dork here I know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimnoid View Post
17 of 75

Private London by Jame Patterson & Mark Pearson

A girl and her mom are kidnapped on her 13th birthday and her father refuses to pay the ransom. So the mother is brutally raped and murdered in front of the child just before the girl is rescued. Later when she is in college in England she is kidnapped again! Is it connected or not?

This is a good quick read with lots of suspense and a few good twists.
Ooooo this sounds really good!!!

Just a Rebel Homeschooler I guess....
DisneyMommyMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:56 PM   #807
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbellandeeyor View Post
I wanted to read today ended up cleaning house instead
You really need to get your priorities straight!

Queen Colleen
PigletsPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:57 PM   #808
kimblebee
now my thoughts will be worth 5 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemofans
Finished book #7: The Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King

This book was okay. The 2nd half was better reading. It's a fairy tale instead of his usual horror stories. Slow beginning, too much narration, predictable plot, so I give it a 3 out of 5.

A kingdom is in turmoil as the old king dies and his successor must do battle for the throne. Pitted against an evil wizard and a would-be rival, Prince Peter makes a daring escape and rallies the forces of Good to fight for what is rightfully his. This is a masterpiece of classic dragons-and-magic fantasy that only Stephen King could have written!

Next book: The Alchemyst: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel
I LOVED this book. I am a huge King fan but I wasn't sure about this one. I couldn't put it down. Same with his Dark Tower series. I got totally hooked on that entire series. I own all 7 books and after I am done my current book the next one will be the latest book in the series. I believe it's supposed to be book 5.5 as opposed to 8 LOL
Old 02-13-2013, 09:58 PM   #809
kimblebee
now my thoughts will be worth 5 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeboysmom

My thoughts exactly on Night Circus. I loved it while reading it, although it was quite strange, lol, but not something I'm going to rave about.

You HAVE to put Into the Darkest Corner on your phone list! I am currently reading it (100 pages to go). I'm in a quandry - I want to read slow because I don't want it to end, but yet I want to keep picking it up and reading every spare minute I have because I need to find out what happens!!
Read the review for it and it instantly went on the list! It sounds fantastic! Thanks : )
Old 02-13-2013, 10:12 PM   #810
"Got Disney"
They’re like Lays chips...just cant get enough
Little Angels come and take them away
We need to smack them all in the heads and say "WAKE UP YAHOOS"

Can you also add me to the list didn't see this before....
i will think of what book I want to add since I read 3 to 5 books at a time

just relax Mun :wooho
"Got Disney" is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: