Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2013, 06:34 PM   #751
Swimnoid
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by erincon23 View Post
Being a big fan of Sue Grafton's series, I really looked forward to Kinsey & Me. I enjoyed the Kinsey stories -- it was fun to read them, knowing the character, but the "and me" stories really threw me. I didn't finish those -- I found them so depressing that it felt like I was slogging through them.

The Passage -- excellent! High up on my list of faves. The Twelve, which is the second book in this series, was also good, but really different. I hope you enjoy it!

I'm on #14 - keeping track in my original post, #188 on p. 13.
I like this...having a whole list you can peruse in one place. I think I am going to do that too if I find a little time.
Swimnoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:07 PM   #752
portia9
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMommyMichelle View Post
Is it too late to join? I understand if it is! My goal this year is 250 books. I was ONE BOOK SHY OF THIS GOAL LAST YEAR!!! It drove me bananas, so I knew I had to try it again. I keep track on GOODREADS:
http://www.goodreads.com/challenges/...ding-challenge
I like it because it allows me to see if I am behind or ahead of my goal. It also tracks the books that I have read, reviews I have given and the like. You can input the day you finished reading it, but I usually don't go the site daily, so I just keep the stack on my desk and input them all at one time.
Awesome goal!

Book Challenge Goal for 2014-100 books

blueeyedboy~It Happened One Summer~Imperial Requiem~The Search for Anne Perry~A Sprig of Lavender~Pride and Prejudice:The Scenes Jane Austen Never Wrote~The Village Newcomers~The Mist on Bronte Moor~A Village in Jeopardy~The Next Best Thing~Village School~Life After Life~A Room of One's Own~The Rosie Project~Summertime~Cheaper By The Dozen~Belles on Their Toes~A Perfect Life~Kilmeny of the Orchard~The Real Life Mary Poppins~A Proud Taste of Scarlet and Miniver~Expectations of Happiness~The Last Wife of Henry VIII~Tempting Fate~The Rebuttal~A Storm of Swords~A Feast for Crows~A Dance of Dragons~Green Grass~Girt~Village Books~Searching for Shona~The Wonderful Wizard of Oz~The Marvelous Land of Oz~Ozma of Oz~The Maze Runner~Revenge Wears Prada~Captain Wentworth Home From the Sea~Mr Darcy's Great Escape~None But You~For You Alone~Tess of the D'urbervilles~The Pursuit of God~Is It Just Me?~Notes To My Mother-In-Law~The Little Friend~About the B'nai Bagels~Aunt Dimity's Death~Poldark~A Man Lay Dead~Attempting Elizabeth~Mrs Dalloway~The Mayor of Casterbridge~Speaking From Among the Bones~The Second Chance~Aunt Dimity and the Duke~Volunteering~The Fellowship of the Ring~The Two Towers~The Return of the King~Demelza~Innocence of Father Brown~The Lowland~The Europeans~North and South~Quartet in Autumn~Jane Eyre~Collected Works of A.J.Fikry~The Sisterhood~Come and Tell Me Some Lies~How Many Camels Are There in Holland?~
portia9 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-09-2013, 07:59 PM   #753
disneyfanforever
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeboysmom View Post
Reading Into the Darkest Corner right now, and all I can say is wow. I am HOOKED.

It's dark, twisted, and gives off a Gone Girl-ish vibe to me, lol.

Sure hope the ending doesn't disappoint. It has soooo much potential.

If anyone is looking for a book to read next, maybe give this a try.
I just finished this book about 30 minutes ago! I have been reading pretty much all day. I could not put it down. Wow, what a suspenseful read! That was book number 12 for me for the year.

Next Up: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Old 02-09-2013, 08:03 PM   #754
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

I am reading trip reports and other threads when I should be reading my book almost done but it is so depressing and addicting at the same time. The book not the threads
Old 02-09-2013, 08:55 PM   #755
Swimnoid
DIS Veteran

16 of 75

The Concrete blond by Michael Connelly

From Goodreads: In this classic from a #1 "New York Times" bestselling author, Detective Harry Bosch thought he'd stopped the serial killer known as the Dollmaker. Now the dead man's widow is suing Harry and the LAPD for shooting the wrong man--an accusation that rings true when a new victim is discovered with the Dollmaker's macabre signature.

#3 of the Harry Bosch series. I am eventually going to read all of the series. I picked this on up to get background on some stuff that was in #4. The book was typical of the series and a had a couple of good twists.
Swimnoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:27 PM   #756
funkychunkymonkey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimnoid View Post
16 of 75

From Goodreads: In this classic from a #1 "New York Times" bestselling author, Detective Harry Bosch thought he'd stopped the serial killer known as the Dollmaker. Now the dead man's widow is suing Harry and the LAPD for shooting the wrong man--an accusation that rings true when a new victim is discovered with the Dollmaker's macabre signature.

#3 of the Harry Bosch series. I am eventually going to read all of the series. I picked this on up to get background on some stuff that was in #4. The book was typical of the series and a had a couple of good twists.
It was a good book!!! I read it a few years back

Dead case in deadwood
was a good read, made me wanna read the rest. Not for the faint of heart!
RIP:
guiedo (guiena pig) bluebeard
funkychunkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:42 PM   #757
S. C.
Loves to snorkel
Swam with the dolphins
Got soaked on BTMRR
Another tag

Started and finished this one today. I really enjoyed this page turner. It is free on Amazon right now for Kindle.

Ring of Lies by Victoria Howard

When English accountant Daniel Elliott dies in a car accident one rainy night, his widow, Grace, is overcome with grief...and panic. Daniel was controlling and their marriage loveless, but he always took care of the sheltered Grace.

Or so she thought.

She soon discovers Daniel kept secrets: an alias, mob ties, a list of numbers, a mysterious beach house in Florida....and a girlfriend who looks like Grace.

Swallowing her fear, she flies to Miami to claim the house Daniel left her. But the price of her curiosity is peril. Underworld figures stalk her. The other woman has left a damning trail of evidence pointing her way. And handsome, troubled FBI agent Jack West has crossed precarious paths with Grace before. He could be her savior or her damnation. All she knows for certain is that she longs to be in his arms.

With little to go on and danger at every turn, Grace must depend on Jack to help her navigate the criminal world of south Florida, and find the truth behind the Ring of Lies.
..................If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

There's a great big, beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day!

S. C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:47 PM   #758
clutter
Princess's Mom
The TF is sorry that you were overlooked, we've been really busy lately! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimnoid View Post
16 of 75

All his books are good. His best is The Poet.
clutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:28 AM   #759
stacy347
I carried a watermelon?

Goal 30
Book #9 Party Crashers by Stephanie Bond

Fun, light romantic mystery. I liked the characters, and the way she wove them all together.
May 16-22, 2010 Seralago Resort ~ so much fun!
June 17-23, 2012 Regal Palms ~ loved it!
Oct. 4, 2012 Disney on Ice: Rockin' Ever After
stacy347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:35 AM   #760
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

I got behind in my reading!

#4 or 30

The Paris Wife

A deeply evocative story of ambition and betrayal, The Paris Wife captures a remarkable period of time and a love affair between two unforgettable people: Ernest Hemingway and his wife Hadley.

Chicago, 1920: Hadley Richardson is a quiet twenty-eight-year-old who has all but given up on love and happiness—until she meets Ernest Hemingway and her life changes forever. Following a whirlwind courtship and wedding, the pair set sail for Paris, where they become the golden couple in a lively and volatile group—the fabled “Lost Generation”—that includes Gertrude Stein, Ezra Pound, and F. Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald.

Though deeply in love, the Hemingways are ill-prepared for the hard-drinking and fast-living life of Jazz Age Paris, which hardly values traditional notions of family and monogamy. Surrounded by beautiful women and competing egos, Ernest struggles to find the voice that will earn him a place in history, pouring all the richness and intensity of his life with Hadley and their circle of friends into the novel that will become The Sun Also Rises. Hadley, meanwhile, strives to hold on to her sense of self as the demands of life with Ernest grow costly and her roles as wife, friend, and muse become more challenging. Despite their extraordinary bond, they eventually find themselves facing the ultimate crisis of their marriage—a deception that will lead to the unraveling of everything they’ve fought so hard for.

A heartbreaking portrayal of love and torn loyalty, The Paris Wife is all the more poignant because we know that, in the end, Hemingway wrote that he would rather have died than fallen in love with anyone but Hadley.

I liked it. It started off strong, then there was a bit about 3/4 in that lagged, and then finished well. I did develop an appreciation for Hemingway, and I have always been a fan of the "Lost Generation" so this was enjoyable. Makes me want to go back and read some of the literature from this time period.

Next up: Reached by Ally Condie. I read the first two books in this series and am looking forward to finishing it up. Here's hoping I can remember the first two stories though!

momto3gr8boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:55 AM   #761
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

I keep forgetting...

For my fellow DISers who would like a little laugh, I recommend the book
Snodgrass Vacation by Dave Conifer. It's pretty much a direct parody of the most popular topics. (I should probably warn, that it may be offensive to some.)

The Kindle version is only 99 cents.
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne, #15- Monument 14: Sky on Fire Emmy Laybourne, #16- The Magicians Lev Grossman, #17- The Strain Guillermo Del Toro
Soldier's*Sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:58 AM   #762
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier's*Sweeties View Post
I keep forgetting...

For my fellow DISers who would like a little laugh, I recommend the book
Snodgrass Vacation by Dave Conifer. It's pretty much a direct parody of the most popular topics. (I should probably warn, that it may be offensive to some.)

The Kindle version is only 99 cents.
I second this. I read this twice, and it didn't give me a little laugh-itgave me a BIG laugh!
Old 02-10-2013, 12:57 PM   #763
LOVETHATMOUSE
DIS Veteran
*~*Some LOVE from the Tag Fairy!*~*

Haven't posted yet, but I have finished books #1 - Mrs. Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - loved it! #2 -Invisible Monsters - yuk and #3- The Great Gatsby - loved it (actually I've read it before, but had to read a perfect classic to get the horribleness of Invisible Monsters out of my head I'm now on #4 - The Last Days of Marilyn Monroe.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:50 PM   #764
tinkerbellfan6880
pixie

Read 11 out of 80 books so far. I am reading the book called "City of Exiles" by Alec Nevala-Lee.

2014 Reading Challenge: 21 out of 100 books

2013 Reading Challenge Completed: 92 out of 80 books read!
tinkerbellfan6880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:10 PM   #765
3smithboys
DIS Veteran

Finished books 4 and 5... enjoyed them both!

#4 - Fever 1793 by Laurie Halse Andersen

#5 Everyday by David Levithan

Both of them are young adult books...

I read Fever because my son is reading it for school, and I wanted to read it with him. It's a great book about the Yellow Fever epidemic that happened in Philadelphia.

And Everyday.... (from Amazon...) In his New York Times bestselling novel, David Levithan introduces readers to what Entertainment Weekly calls a "wise, wildly unique" love story about A, a teen who wakes up every morning in a different body, living a different life.

Every day a different body. Every day a different life. Every day in love with the same girl.
There’s never any warning about where it will be or who it will be. A has made peace with that, even established guidelines by which to live: Never get too attached. Avoid being noticed. Do not interfere.

It’s all fine until the morning that A wakes up in the body of Justin and meets Justin’s girlfriend, Rhiannon. From that moment, the rules by which A has been living no longer apply. Because finally A has found someone he wants to be with—day in, day out, day after day.

With his new novel, David Levithan, has pushed himself to new creative heights. He has written a captivating story that will fascinate readers as they begin to comprehend the complexities of life and love in A’s world, as A and Rhiannon seek to discover if you can truly love someone who is destined to change every day.
3smithboys is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: