Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2013, 08:10 AM   #736
Kewz1
DIS Veteran

Finished book 4 of 24 - I'm ahead of schedule!

Along Came a Duke by Elizabeth Boyle - it's part 1 in the Rhymes With Love Series.

It was a pure-fluff read. Cute story, easy to follow. Not too smutty/drivelly. I may read the 2nd one when it comes out. We'll see...

Here's the overview from B&N:

“A young lady with a fortune is subject to all sorts of untoward attentions by the worst sort of vagrants.” Aunt Allegra

A lesson Tabitha Timmons, a penniless spinster, has never needed to heed. That is, until she is left a vast fortune payable only upon her marriage to the very respectable Mr. Barkworth—a match that offers little chance of discovering exactly what her aunt means by "untoward attentions."

But the same can't be said when the Duke of Preston happens along Tabitha's path. He spies a rebellious streak in her that matches his own and he makes it his mission to save her from such a passionless match, interfering in her life at every turn. All too soon, Preston—whose very name spells ruin—has Tabitha caught between the good fortune that guarantees her security, and his kiss, which promises an entirely different kind of happily-ever-after.

Now to figure out book #5!

Kristen
Disney 5K:2003
DCL:2000, 2008, 2011, 2013, 2014

Last edited by Kewz1; 02-09-2013 at 08:15 AM.
Kewz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:23 AM   #737
K and K's Mommy
WISH Biggest Loser/Blue Team
DIS Veteran
SpectroMagic and the fireworks after it are pure Disney magic
Try a Chocolate Wave next time you're in The Land

#5 - The Chaperone by Laura Moriarty

This was recommended by someone on this thread. I really liked it although I thought the last 1/4 of the book was a little too "tidy" to be believed.

It is historical fiction mostly set in the 1920's. The main character, Cora, is hired to chaperone Louise Brooks to NYC when Louise is 15. I had never heard of Louise Brooks but knew her immediately when I looked at real pictures of her. She was a silent film star. Cora volunteers for the job to learn more about her past, but it is her future that is changed after the trip.

I am now starting Les Mis because it has been on my bucket list. I'll take a break from it when the library has Defending Jacob for me.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-09-2013, 08:51 AM   #738
minniebeth
I count on y'all to keep me up to date ;)
I'm ok going up, just can't go down...

Re: Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogswel_Cogs View Post
I really loved the first half of this book.
Second half was kind of a let down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by willowsnn3 View Post
I agree. Parts of the book was interesting but somehow it just didn't 'come together'
Exactly my thoughts! It had potential to be so much better. How, I'm not sure, but I'm no author.

minniebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:08 AM   #739
minniebeth

Book 4 of 25
Double Cross (Alex Cross#13) by James Patterson

From Goodreads:
Just when Alex thought his life was calming down into a routine of patients and therapy sessions, he finds himself back in the game--this time to catch a criminal mastermind like no other.

A spate of elaborate murders in Washington, D.C. have the whole East Coast on edge. They are like nothing Alex Cross and his new girlfriend, Detective Brianna Stone, have ever seen. With each murder, the case becomes increasingly complex. There's only one thing Alex knows: the killer adores an audience.

As victims are made into gruesome spectacles citywide, inducing a media hysteria, it becomes clear to Alex that the man he's after is a genius of terror--and he's after fame. The killer has the whole city by its strings--and he'll stop at nothing to become the most terrifying star that Washington ,D.C. has ever seen.

I have not read any of the previous Alex Cross series. I had the book passed on to me, and gave it a try. Very quick reading, was good enough to hold my attention. I probably won't go back and read the previous books in the series but would read going forward.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:18 AM   #740
minniebeth

Book 5 out of 25:
Lean Mean Thirteen (Stephanie Plum #13) by Janet Evanovich

From Goodreads:
New secrets, old flames, and hidden agendas are about to send bounty hunter Stephanie Plum on her most outrageous adventure yet!

MISTAKE #1

Dickie Orr. Stephanie was married to him for about fifteen minutes before she caught him cheating on her with her arch-nemesis Joyce Barnhardt. Another fifteen minutes after that Stephanie filed for divorce, hoping to never see either one of them again.

MISTAKE #2

Doing favors for super bounty hunter Carlos Manoso (a.k.a. Ranger). Ranger needs her to meet with Dickie and find out if he's doing something shady. Turns out, he is. Turns out, he's also back to doing Joyce Barnhardt. And it turns out Ranger's favors always come with a price...

MISTAKE #3

Going completely nutso while doing the favor for Ranger, and trying to apply bodily injury to Dickie in front of the entire office. Now Dickie has disappeared and Stephanie is the natural suspect in his disappearance. Is Dickie dead? Can he be found? And can Stephanie Plum stay one step ahead in this new, dangerous game? Joe Morelli, the hottest cop in Trenton, NJ is also keeping Stephanie on her toes-and he may know more than he's saying about many things in Stephanie's life. It's a cat-and-mouse game for Stephanie Plum, where the ultimate prize might be her life.

With Janet Evanovich's flair for hilarious situations, breathtaking action, and unforgettable characters, LEAN MEAN THIRTEEN shows why no one can beat Evanovich for blockbuster entertainment.

I love this series, it's corny, ridiculous, and funny. Probably because I grew up in New Jersey and so get the culture and cast of characters, true to the "burg" culture.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:30 AM   #741
minniebeth

Book 6 out of 25:
Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah

From Goodreads:
Meredith and Nina Whitson are as different as sisters can be. One stayed at home to raise her children and manage the family apple orchard: the other followed a dream and traveled the world to become a famous photojournalist. But when their beloved father falls ill, Meredith and Nina find themselves together again, standing alongside their cold, disapproving mother, Anya, who even now, offers no comfort to her daughters. As children, the only connection between them was the Russian fairy tale Anya sometimes told the girls at night. On his deathbed, their father extracts a promise from the women in his life: the fairy tale will be told one last time - and all the way to the end. Thus begins an unexpected journey into the truth of Anya's life in war-torn Leningrad, more than five decades ago. Alternating between the past and present, Meredith and Nina will finally hear the singular, harrowing story of their mother's life, and what they learn is a secret so terrible and terrifying that it will shake the very foundation of their family and change who they believe they are.

I loved this book! It was sad and touching. I loved the way the "fairy tale" was woven into the story. I loved the Russian history aspect of the story as well. A definite thumbs up!

Last edited by minniebeth; 02-09-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:33 AM   #742
DisneyMommyMichelle
I'm a TP nerd!
John Travolta = YUMMY!!
Have to let the banana dance
Thanks everyone for making me feel normal today!
Dork here I know!

Is it too late to join? I understand if it is! My goal this year is 250 books. I was ONE BOOK SHY OF THIS GOAL LAST YEAR!!! It drove me bananas, so I knew I had to try it again. I keep track on GOODREADS:
http://www.goodreads.com/challenges/...ding-challenge
I like it because it allows me to see if I am behind or ahead of my goal. It also tracks the books that I have read, reviews I have given and the like. You can input the day you finished reading it, but I usually don't go the site daily, so I just keep the stack on my desk and input them all at one time.

Just a Rebel Homeschooler I guess....
2013 Reading Challenge 257 out of 250
DisneyMommyMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:23 AM   #743
willowsnn3
Tagless but proud

Goal 72

#13 Son by Lois Lowry

Last book of the Giver quartet. These are great books! So sad to have finished the series, lol. Well, on to something else....

Book Challenge Goal 31/72
willowsnn3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:25 AM   #744
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by minniebeth View Post
Book 6 out of 25:

From Goodreads:
Meredith and Nina Whitson are as different as sisters can be. One stayed at home to raise her children and manage the family apple orchard: the other followed a dream and traveled the world to become a famous photojournalist. But when their beloved father falls ill, Meredith and Nina find themselves together again, standing alongside their cold, disapproving mother, Anya, who even now, offers no comfort to her daughters. As children, the only connection between them was the Russian fairy tale Anya sometimes told the girls at night. On his deathbed, their father extracts a promise from the women in his life: the fairy tale will be told one last time - and all the way to the end. Thus begins an unexpected journey into the truth of Anya's life in war-torn Leningrad, more than five decades ago. Alternating between the past and present, Meredith and Nina will finally hear the singular, harrowing story of their mother's life, and what they learn is a secret so terrible and terrifying that it will shake the very foundation of their family and change who they believe they are.

I loved this book! It was sad and touhing. I loved the way the "fairy tale" was woven into the story. I loved the Russian history aspect of the story as well. A definite thumbs up!
I read this book a few years ago and also LOVED it. It was my first Kristen Hannah book. I enjoyed it so much I went on to read all of her other books but, personally, I thought this one was her best.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:12 PM   #745
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowsnn3 View Post
It's hard for me to quit on a book too. But I'm learning. Have two that I am returning to the library today that I just couldn't get into. 'Mrs Dalloway' & 'Where'd You Go, Bernadette'
I'm more into the suspense so Into the Darkest Corner may be something I would like.
LOL, I have the Bernadette book on hold at the library (been on hold forever it seems). I'm interested to find out what I think... and whether I can quit or not, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minniebeth View Post
Book 6 out of 25:

From Goodreads:

I loved this book! It was sad and touhing. I loved the way the "fairy tale" was woven into the story. I loved the Russian history aspect of the story as well. A definite thumbs up!
I agree! I loved this book! It was my first experience with Kristin Hannah. I then went on to read Firefly Lane (I think that's what it was called...) which I thoroughly enjoyed as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMommyMichelle View Post
Is it too late to join? I understand if it is! My goal this year is 250 books. I was ONE BOOK SHY OF THIS GOAL LAST YEAR!!! It drove me bananas, so I knew I had to try it again. I keep track on GOODREADS:
http://www.goodreads.com/challenges/...ding-challenge
I like it because it allows me to see if I am behind or ahead of my goal. It also tracks the books that I have read, reviews I have given and the like. You can input the day you finished reading it, but I usually don't go the site daily, so I just keep the stack on my desk and input them all at one time.
Welcome!! I must say I'm totally speechless at your book goal! Really?? I actually gasped OUT LOUD when I read your post, lol.

I'm jealous and in awe of you!

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years

Currently reading: #13 A Mother's Hope by Francine Rivers

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:17 PM   #746
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Reading Into the Darkest Corner right now, and all I can say is wow. I am HOOKED.

It's dark, twisted, and gives off a Gone Girl-ish vibe to me, lol.

Sure hope the ending doesn't disappoint. It has soooo much potential.

If anyone is looking for a book to read next, maybe give this a try.

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years

Currently reading: #13 A Mother's Hope by Francine Rivers

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:40 PM   #747
DisneyMommyMichelle
I'm a TP nerd!
John Travolta = YUMMY!!
Have to let the banana dance
Thanks everyone for making me feel normal today!
Dork here I know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeboysmom View Post
Welcome!! I must say I'm totally speechless at your book goal! Really?? I actually gasped OUT LOUD when I read your post, lol.

I'm jealous and in awe of you!
Thank you!!! I am excited to join!!! It's really not that difficult. I am a total bibliophile and can always be found with 3 books on my person, not to mention my nook! (Add me as a friend if you wish MichellesCharmWorld [@] Gmail Dot Com. -No spaces).

I just flew through the 3 Shades of Grey Books in about 2 days because they were such fluffy reads. My verdict? Ehh... I don't think they lived up to the hype but once I read one, I knew I should read them all, so people cannot tell me that they got better! LOL!

I am currently reading THE CORE: Teaching Your Child the Foundations of a Classical Education. (We are new to the homeschooling world and I am trying to learn all I can!)

and Beachcombers (From Goodreads):

Beachcombers is an extraordinary novel that centers on the bittersweet reunion of three captivating, very different sisters on Nantucket over one gorgeous, exhilarating summer.

Abbie Fox hasn’t seen her father or two younger sisters in almost two years, during which she’s jetted around the world and experienced life, if not love. But now Lily, the baby of the family, is sending Abbie urgent emails begging her to return home to Nantucket. Their middle sister, Emma, has taken to her bed, emotionally devastated after the loss of her high-powered stockbroker’s job and a shockingly unexpected break-up with her fiancé. Also, Lily is deeply worried that Marina, the beautiful, enigmatic woman renting their guesthouse, has set her sights on the sisters’ widowed father, Jim. The Fox girls closed ranks years ago after the haunting, untimely death of their mother, but seeing their dad move on with his life forces each of them to take stock.

Over the course of the summer, the sisters’ lives grow as turbulent as the unpredictable currents encircling Nantucket. When Abbie encounters an incredibly appealing married man, she breaks her own rules in the name of love, fearing all the while that she’ll regret it. Meanwhile, type-A Emma learns a new definition of success, and strong-minded Lily must reconcile her dreams with reality. Even Marina, who has come to Nantucket to forget heartbreak and betrayal, faces an astonishing turn of events that will find her torn between fate and freedom. At summer’s end, these unforgettable women will face profound choices—and undergo personal transformations that will surprise even themselves

Just a Rebel Homeschooler I guess....
2013 Reading Challenge 257 out of 250
DisneyMommyMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:14 PM   #748
tiggrbaby
We must work harder to stay under the radar for this oneWe always bring our own inflatable noodle

Just finished Kinsey and Me by Sue Grafton.

From Amazon:
Kinsey and Me has two parts: The nine Kinsey stories (1986-93), each a gem of detection; and the And Me stories, written in the decade after Grafton's mother died. Together, they show just how much of Kinsey is a distillation of her creator’s past even as they reveal a child who, free of parental interventions, read everything and roamed everywhere. But the dark side of such freedom was that very parental distance.

The same unique voice and witty insights readers fell in love with in A Is for Alibi permeate the Kinsey stories. Those in the And Me section trace a remarkable voyage, from anger to understanding, from pain to forgiveness. They take us into a troubled family, dysfunctional as most families are, each in their own way, but Grafton’s telling is sensitive, delicate, and ultimately, loving. Enriching the way we see Kinsey and know Sue, these stories are deeply affecting.

I give it five stars! I have been a fan of the Kinsey books for years. This is series of previously published Kinsey short stories in the first half, and stories Sue Grafton wrote in the years after the death of her mother as a way to deal with it. She also explains a bit about how she came to love the genre.

Next up: The Passage by Justin Cronin

DISboards 2104 Book Challenge: 10/40
DISboards 2013 Book Challenge: 36/35
tiggrbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:12 PM   #749
portia9
DIS Veteran

Goal 100 books

#23 Rosie Meadow Regrets by Catherine Alliot-chick lit. Made me laugh in a few place but overall not my favourite of her

#24 Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn-I don't know if I missed something about this book but I didn't love it. I loathed the characters in it. And I was waiting for some big twist and it didn't happen.

Book Challenge Goal for 2014-100 books

blueeyedboy~It Happened One Summer~Imperial Requiem~The Search for Anne Perry~A Sprig of Lavender~Pride and Prejudice:The Scenes Jane Austen Never Wrote~The Village Newcomers~The Mist on Bronte Moor~A Village in Jeopardy~The Next Best Thing~Village School~Life After Life~A Room of One's Own~The Rosie Project~Summertime~Cheaper By The Dozen~Belles on Their Toes~A Perfect Life~Kilmeny of the Orchard~The Real Life Mary Poppins~A Proud Taste of Scarlet and Miniver~Expectations of Happiness~The Last Wife of Henry VIII~Tempting Fate~The Rebuttal~A Storm of Swords~A Feast for Crows~A Dance of Dragons~Green Grass~Village Books~Searching for Shona~The Wonderful Wizard of Oz~The Marvelous Land of Oz~Ozma of Oz~The Maze Runner~The Devil Wears Prada~Captain Wentworth Home From the Sea~Mr Darcy's Great Escape~None But You~For You Alone~Tess of the D'urbervilles~The Pursuit of God~Is It Just Me?~
portia9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:29 PM   #750
erincon23
Everyone must have gotten a life in the last few days
As you can see, I have gotten sidetracked

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggrbaby View Post
Just finished Kinsey and Me by Sue Grafton.

From Amazon:
Kinsey and Me has two parts: The nine Kinsey stories (1986-93), each a gem of detection; and the And Me stories, written in the decade after Grafton's mother died. Together, they show just how much of Kinsey is a distillation of her creators past even as they reveal a child who, free of parental interventions, read everything and roamed everywhere. But the dark side of such freedom was that very parental distance.

The same unique voice and witty insights readers fell in love with in A Is for Alibi permeate the Kinsey stories. Those in the And Me section trace a remarkable voyage, from anger to understanding, from pain to forgiveness. They take us into a troubled family, dysfunctional as most families are, each in their own way, but Graftons telling is sensitive, delicate, and ultimately, loving. Enriching the way we see Kinsey and know Sue, these stories are deeply affecting.

I give it five stars! I have been a fan of the Kinsey books for years. This is series of previously published Kinsey short stories in the first half, and stories Sue Grafton wrote in the years after the death of her mother as a way to deal with it. She also explains a bit about how she came to love the genre.

Next up: The Passage by Justin Cronin
Being a big fan of Sue Grafton's series, I really looked forward to Kinsey & Me. I enjoyed the Kinsey stories -- it was fun to read them, knowing the character, but the "and me" stories really threw me. I didn't finish those -- I found them so depressing that it felt like I was slogging through them.

The Passage -- excellent! High up on my list of faves. The Twelve, which is the second book in this series, was also good, but really different. I hope you enjoy it!

I'm on #14 - keeping track in my original post, #188 on p. 13.

me DH DS16 DS20 On our last family trip, 3/09
erincon23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: