Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2013, 06:49 PM   #691
Swimnoid
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by erincon23 View Post
I read that YEARS ago! It was very good.

Progress report -- I wasn't sure how to go about updating in this thread. I've been updating my "read" list in my original post. I'm up to 11 so far -- I seem to have been on a Nora Roberts streak, but in my defense (lol) I get caught up in series, and recently found her "MacGregor" family series, which has several spinoffs. So of course, I had to read all of them. And her alter ego, JD Robb, has a new book coming out this month, as well as a short story in a collection of 4 -- I read the JD Robb story, but the second story, I think, requires a huge amount of info about the series that it comes from. I don't know that I'll get into that one.

I saw the post about a commercial for an "Under the Dome" series -- hmmm. That was a very interesting book, but don't know if I'll have any interest in a series.

I'm looking for suggestions. I like spy/political/legal thrillers, preferably series, and NOT vampire series, and these are some of the authors I've read (well, not all, I'm sure): Michael Connelly, John Connolly, Grisham, Crais, Quintin Jardine, Brad Meltzer, Daniel Silva, Lee Child, John Sandford, Linda Fairstein, Sara Paretsky, Patricia Cornwell. Can anyone suggest anything along that line?
How about Brad Thor and Nelson DeMille?
Swimnoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:52 PM   #692
dismom301930
Mouseketeer

Goal = 40

Book #5 - Reached by Ally Condie (final book in the UA adult trilogy that started with Matched. Just okay.)

Next Up - Rush Home Road by Lori Lansen based on some reviews on this thread.
dismom301930 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-06-2013, 06:56 PM   #693
Swimnoid
DIS Veteran

15 of 75

Dark Tort by Diane Mott Davidson

From Goodreads: Caterer Goldy Schulz's lucrative new gig, preparing breakfasts and conference room snacks for a local law firm, is time-consuming, but she's enjoying it . . . until the night she arrives to find Dusty, the firm's paralegal, dead. The deceased also happened to be Goldy's friend and neighbor, and now Dusty's grieving mother is begging Goldy to find out who murdered her daughter.

This is a series starring Goldy Shulz who is a caterer and also ends up solving murders. I sure wouldnt hire her or want to live next door! Chances are I'd be the victim. These books are fun and she describes what she is making for many of her catering gigs AND includes the recipes! Dark Tort is one of the latest installments.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:12 PM   #694
erincon23
Everyone must have gotten a life in the last few days
As you can see, I have gotten sidetracked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimnoid View Post
How about Brad Thor and Nelson DeMille?
Knew I was missing some -- both of those are on my "love them" list. But thanks!

me DH DS16 DS20 On our last family trip, 3/09
erincon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:13 PM   #695
erincon23

Quote:
Originally Posted by minniebeth View Post
erincon23, have you read Vince Flynn's series? Great fast reading series in that genre, you will love the character Mitch Rapp. Brad Thor is another author in that genre. Happy reading!
Yep, read those too...

Old 02-06-2013, 07:19 PM   #696
erincon23

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenercam View Post
You may like the Marie Force "Fatal" series that I reviewed earlier in this thread. My reviews are at post #552 on page 37 and post #598 on page 40.

I am eagerly awaiting the next one in this series.
Thanks! I looked up your past posts -- they look good! Our library doesn't carry them (when I searched the author, I got a ton of romance books with different names), so I guess I'll have to Kindle them. Just in time for our 18-hour drive each way to WDW!

Old 02-06-2013, 09:58 PM   #697
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimnoid View Post
15 of 75

Dark Tort by Diane Mott Davidson

From Goodreads: Caterer Goldy Schulz's lucrative new gig, preparing breakfasts and conference room snacks for a local law firm, is time-consuming, but she's enjoying it . . . until the night she arrives to find Dusty, the firm's paralegal, dead. The deceased also happened to be Goldy's friend and neighbor, and now Dusty's grieving mother is begging Goldy to find out who murdered her daughter.

This is a series starring Goldy Shulz who is a caterer and also ends up solving murders. I sure wouldnt hire her or want to live next door! Chances are I'd be the victim. These books are fun and she describes what she is making for many of her catering gigs AND includes the recipes! Dark Tort is one of the latest installments.
So how is it? I've read and enjoyed several of her books.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:59 PM   #698
Swimnoid
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom View Post
So how is it? I've read and enjoyed several of her books.
Liked it. It wasnt as good as some of her books...a little flat.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:16 AM   #699
funkychunkymonkey
DIS Veteran

finished In too deep in one day (thats a new record!). Was a good book, needed to be longer though!
RIP:
guiedo (guiena pig) bluebeard
funkychunkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:41 AM   #700
portia9
DIS Veteran

Goal 100

Book #22 11/22/63

So I did enjoy reading this. But a couple of times I felt it dragged. I could pick holes in it but it kept me turning that pages and wondering how things would pan out.

Book Challenge Goal for 2014-100 books

blueeyedboy~It Happened One Summer~Imperial Requiem~The Search for Anne Perry~A Sprig of Lavender~Pride and Prejudice:The Scenes Jane Austen Never Wrote~The Village Newcomers~The Mist on Bronte Moor~A Village in Jeopardy~The Next Best Thing~Village School~Life After Life~A Room of One's Own~The Rosie Project~Summertime~Cheaper By The Dozen~Belles on Their Toes~A Perfect Life~Kilmeny of the Orchard~The Real Life Mary Poppins~A Proud Taste of Scarlet and Miniver~Expectations of Happiness~The Last Wife of Henry VIII~Tempting Fate~The Rebuttal~A Storm of Swords~A Feast for Crows~A Dance of Dragons~Green Grass~Village Books~Searching for Shona~The Wonderful Wizard of Oz~The Marvelous Land of Oz~Ozma of Oz~The Maze Runner~Revenge Wears Prada~Captain Wentworth Home From the Sea~Mr Darcy's Great Escape~None But You~For You Alone~Tess of the D'urbervilles~The Pursuit of God~Is It Just Me?~Notes To My Mother-In-Law~The Little Friend~About the B'nai Bagels~Aunt Dimity's Death~Poldark~A Man Lay Dead~Attempting Elizabeth~Mrs Dalloway~The Mayor of Casterbridge~Speaking From Among the Bones~The Second Chance~Aunt Dimity and the Duke~Volunteering~The Fellowship of the Ring~The Two Towers~The Return of the King~Demelza~Innocence of Father Brown~The Lowland~The Europeans~North and South~Quartet in Autumn~Jane Eyre~Collected Works of A.J.Fikry~
portia9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:16 AM   #701
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Book #5 - Saturday Night Widows: The Adventures of Six Friends Remaking Their Lives

Okay, so I gave up on this book halfway through. I reserved it at my library as it's one of the few, newish e-books they had and it had fairly decent reviews. I didn't read past the first three words of the title and thought it was some chick-lit book.

No, it's a non-fiction book about six younger women who've lost their spouses and the challenges they face as being "non-traditional" widows. It started out sort of interesting but that there was just too much introspection on the part of the author throughout.

Anyway, not my thing but it is probably a VERY GOOD read for anyone who has lost their spouse at an early age and needs to start life over again, essentially. I think there is a valid point of view there.

I rarely give up on a book but I've go so many in the library queue now and I've only got 21 days to read them all.

Started The Death of Bees last night and it seems promising.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:28 AM   #702
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
Started The Death of Bees last night and it seems promising.
Would be interested to hear your opinion on this book. We seem to have similar tastes in reading.

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife,#16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker

Currently reading: #26 Rainshadow Road

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:51 AM   #703
phorsenuf
Not so New Rule author on the DISSome discuss it calmly and some ...
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

Took a short break from reading but back at it. Decided to read The Shoemakers Wife. I'm liking it quite a bit.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:32 AM   #704
willowsnn3
Tagless not by choice but by circumstance

Goal 72

#12 Messenger by Lois Lowry

This is the 3rd book of the Giver Quartet. I just love these books!! Starting on the final one of the series today.

Book Challenge Goal 55/72

willowsnn3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:06 PM   #705
Glynis
Taking applications for a WDW tour guide!

Goal - 50 books

Book #13 - "Pompeii" by Robert Harris

This book takes place in the days leading up to the eruption of Vesuvius. Something funny has happened to the water source and an engineer is sent to find out what. While there he stumbles upon blackmail, intrigue and romance. Of course, it ends with the volcano erupting, and all the chaos that came with it.

I enjoyed this book, but wouldn't go out of my way to read it again. Some of the characters were well written, but there were way too many stereotypes.

Next up: "Daddy's Girl" by Lisa Scottoline, and still working on "Team of Rivals."

2014 Reading Challenge Goal: 70 books

The Art of Racing in the Rain ~ The House of Hades ~ How To Be Like Walt ~ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows ~ The Seven Mouths of God ~ Behind the Beautiful Forevers ~ The Mysterious Affair at Styles ~ The Big 5-Oh ~ A Year in the Life of William Shakespeare ~ Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children ~ Wait Till Next Year ~ While We Were Watching Downton Abbey ~ Great Expectations ~ The Maze Runner ~ The Fault In Our Stars ~ The Juliet Club ~ The Girls' Guide to Love and Supper Clubs ~ The Power of One ~ The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat ~ Hollow City ~ The Fountainhead ~ Cat's Cradle ~ Speaking From Among The Bones ~ Death Comes to Pemberley ~ Quilt or Innocence ~ The Chocolate Thief ~ On Strike for Christmas ~ Bikini Season ~ Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker ~ Miss Dreamsville and the Collier County Women's Literary Society ~ Cinnamon Roll Murder ~ Red Velvet Cupcake Murder ~ Blackberry Pie Murder ~ Home To Holly Springs ~ In The Company of Others
Glynis is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: