Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 06:26 PM   #661
Glynis
Taking applications for a WDW tour guide!

Goal - 50 books

Book #12 - "The Mark of Athena" by Rick Riordan

This is the 3rd book in the Heroes of Olympus series. I have read these with my 13 year old son, and we both love all of Rick Riordan's books! He twists myths with modern day kids, and it makes a wonderful mix. My son has loved them so much he signed up for a Mythology class in middle school, and found that he was actually bored, because he knew all the myths!

I like that the characters are well written, the plot engaging, and the fact that some mythology is being learned while kids are being entertained! I highly recommend all Riordan's books!

Next up: finishing "Team of Rivals" and "Pompeii."

2014 Reading Challenge Goal: 70 books

The Art of Racing in the Rain ~ The House of Hades ~ How To Be Like Walt ~ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows ~ The Seven Mouths of God ~ Behind the Beautiful Forevers ~ The Mysterious Affair at Styles ~ The Big 5-Oh ~ A Year in the Life of William Shakespeare ~ Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children ~ Wait Till Next Year ~ While We Were Watching Downton Abbey ~ Great Expectations ~ The Maze Runner ~ The Fault In Our Stars ~ The Juliet Club ~ The Girls' Guide to Love and Supper Clubs ~ The Power of One ~ The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat ~ Hollow City ~ The Fountainhead ~ Cat's Cradle ~ Speaking From Among The Bones ~ Death Comes to Pemberley ~ Quilt or Innocence ~ The Chocolate Thief ~ On Strike for Christmas ~ Bikini Season ~ Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker ~ Miss Dreamsville and the Collier County Women's Literary Society ~ Cinnamon Roll Murder ~ Red Velvet Cupcake Murder ~ Blackberry Pie Murder ~ Home To Holly Springs
Glynis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:00 PM   #662
tiggrbaby
We must work harder to stay under the radar for this oneWe always bring our own inflatable noodle

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbellandeeyor View Post
If you are up for young adult I would recommend go ask Alice I keep hearing how good it is not that I have read it yet
Is that the same book from the early 70's?

DISboards 2104 Book Challenge: 19/40
DISboards 2013 Book Challenge: 36/35
tiggrbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-04-2013, 07:16 PM   #663
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggrbaby

Is that the same book from the early 70's?
I think so,have you read it
Old 02-04-2013, 07:18 PM   #664
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

I am SO behind on my goal! I am still on #2!!!
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne, #15- Monument 14: Sky on Fire Emmy Laybourne
Soldier's*Sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:27 PM   #665
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier's*Sweeties
I am SO behind on my goal! I am still on #2!!!
That is why I lowered my goal

Last edited by tinkerbellandeeyor; 02-04-2013 at 08:06 PM.
tinkerbellandeeyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:38 PM   #666
kimblebee
now my thoughts will be worth 5 cents

Goal 50

#12 The Litigators by John Grisham

4.5/5 The man does not disappoint. I can't think of one book of his that I haven't loved. The characters are so human, flaws and all that you really feel yourself getting invested in them. The books always make me want to be a lawyer LOL The book made me want more, as always. If you like his other books, you will enjoy this one.

But you don't have to take my word for it. ; )

Next up will be The Lucky Dog Matchmaking Service, based on reviews from this thread.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:11 PM   #667
tiggrbaby
We must work harder to stay under the radar for this oneWe always bring our own inflatable noodle

Quote:
I think so,have you read it
Back in the 70s! I remember it as being sad. At the time, I believed it was real.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:16 PM   #668
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggrbaby

Back in the 70s! I remember it as being sad. At the time, I believed it was real.
Wow well I am going to take a stab at some point soon but what ism trying to understand is it based on a true story
Old 02-04-2013, 09:29 PM   #669
tinkerbellfan6880
pixie

I have so far read 9 books out 80 so far. I am currently reading The Warlock by Michael Scott. It's the fifth book in The Secrets of The Immortal Nicholas Flamel.

2014 Reading Challenge: 21 out of 100 books

2013 Reading Challenge Completed: 92 out of 80 books read!
tinkerbellfan6880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:55 AM   #670
tiggrbaby

Quote:
Wow well I am going to take a stab at some point soon but what ism trying to understand is it based on a true story
It was marketed as a diary back then, but I've heard since then that it was fiction based on some aspects of someone's life. I would say it is a cautionary tale; the spiral can happen to anyone.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:28 AM   #671
portia9
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimnoid View Post
11 of 75

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

FINALLY finished this! I started it last summer when my daughter played Meg in the Little Women opera. She put the book on my Kindle and I started it back then. It just couldnt hold my interest to keep at it and I would drop it for weeks at a time.
I love Little Women. It's such a wonderful classic and so familiar to me that I can't imagining someone not loving it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigletsPal2 View Post
You are so right! She's my favorite author.
Do you prefer Thomas and Charlotte Pitt or William Monk? I can't decide. Have you read her WWI series? It's only five books, and she says she's not going to expand that series - I hope she changes her mind. She also writes a short Christmas novel each year featuring one of the more minor recurring characters from either the Pitt or Monk series.

In case you hadn't heard, the newest Thomas Pitt book comes out in hardback on April 16 or delivered to your Kindle on April 9

Queen Colleen
I have only just discovered Anne Perry. I started reading her Christmas novellas late last year. So I have lots and lots of Anne Perry to catch up on. I love it when I find a new prolific author.

Goal 100

Book #21 The Personal Shopper by Annie Valentine-a recommendation from this thread! I really enjoyed this. It was a light, easy read but well written. I am looking forward to reading the rest in the series.

Currently reading 11/22/63 again recommended in this thread. I am about 1/3 of the way through and really enjoying it.

Book Challenge Goal for 2014-100 books

blueeyedboy~It Happened One Summer~Imperial Requiem~The Search for Anne Perry~A Sprig of Lavender~Pride and Prejudice:The Scenes Jane Austen Never Wrote~The Village Newcomers~The Mist on Bronte Moor~A Village in Jeopardy~The Next Best Thing~Village School~Life After Life~A Room of One's Own~The Rosie Project~Summertime~Cheaper By The Dozen~Belles on Their Toes~A Perfect Life~Kilmeny of the Orchard~The Real Life Mary Poppins~A Proud Taste of Scarlet and Miniver~Expectations of Happiness~The Last Wife of Henry VIII~Tempting Fate~The Rebuttal~A Storm of Swords~A Feast for Crows~A Dance of Dragons~Green Grass~Village Books~Searching for Shona~The Wonderful Wizard of Oz~The Marvelous Land of Oz~Ozma of Oz~The Maze Runner~Revenge Wears Prada~Captain Wentworth Home From the Sea~Mr Darcy's Great Escape~None But You~For You Alone~Tess of the D'urbervilles~The Pursuit of God~Is It Just Me?~Notes To My Mother-In-Law~The Little Friend~About the B'nai Bagels~Aunt Dimity's Death~Poldark~A Man Lay Dead~Attempting Elizabeth~Mrs Dalloway~The Mayor of Casterbridge~Speaking From Among the Bones~The Second Chance~Aunt Dimity and the Duke~Volunteering~The Fellowship of the Ring~The Two Towers~The Return of the King~Demelza~Innocence of Father Brown~The Lowland~The Europeans~North and South~Quartet in Autumn~Jane Eyre~Collected Works of A.J.Fikry~
portia9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:20 AM   #672
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

Quote:
That is why I lowered my goal
I can do it. For some reason I just seem to be doing something else when I could be reading...Crocheting...Watching TV...Sleeping.

I guess that's why they call it a challenge!
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne, #15- Monument 14: Sky on Fire Emmy Laybourne
Soldier's*Sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:54 AM   #673
stacy347
I carried a watermelon?

Goal 30
Book #7

The Undertaker by William Brown

Amazon description:
Pete Talbott is a California native and harried Boston computer wonk still grieving over the death of his wife Terri, when he found himself at the wrong end of Gino Parini's .45 reading his own obituary torn from that morning's newspaper. Talbott figured it was all a big mistake until Parini showed him his wife's obituary too, and this was a mystery Talbott couldn't leave alone. From a funeral home in Indiana, to car chases on the Dan Ryan, a bloody Back Bay townhouse, snipers in New York City's Washington Square, sleazy lawyers, corrupt County sheriffs, mafia hit men, the FBI, an army of Chicago cops, and that unforgettable scene in the upper berth of an Amtrak Train, The Undertaker is a thrill ride with a touch of humor and romance.

I love a good conspiracy, and this premise was actually plausible. A few parts dragged on a bit, but I enjoyed it. I give it 4/5.

My main complaint (and it is not specific to this book):
The typos on the Kindle books drive me insane! Missing quotation marks, double typed words, misspellings ~ it is so annoying! Don't get me wrong, I love my Kindle, but I really wish the editing on these books was a bit better.
May 16-22, 2010 Seralago Resort ~ so much fun!
June 17-23, 2012 Regal Palms ~ loved it!
Oct. 4, 2012 Disney on Ice: Rockin' Ever After

2013 DisBoards Book Challenge 19/45
stacy347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:55 PM   #674
kimblebee
now my thoughts will be worth 5 cents

Goal 50

#13 The Lucky Dog Matchmaking Service by Beth Kendrick.

I honestly don't know how to rate this book. I liked the book but didn't like the main character. Keeping in mind where I am and the attitudes of people I will just say the main character is an uber dog lover and I don't agree with some of her positions. That shouldn't distract from the actual story. The story was just ok for me, with the ending being totally predictable. I did like the humor in the story though so I think I will read another book by the same author.

I'm torn as to what I should read next. I have a few in mind but just can't settle on one. I'll update when I decide.

ETA I'm going with Night Circus only because its due first and has already been renewed. I'm really iffy on this one for some reason.

Last edited by kimblebee; 02-05-2013 at 03:14 PM.
kimblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:44 PM   #675
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier's*Sweeties

I can do it. For some reason I just seem to be doing something else when I could be reading...Crocheting...Watching TV...Sleeping.

I guess that's why they call it a challenge!
I can relate

Btw started reading it and love it almost impossible to put down

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: