Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 09:00 PM   #631
nemofans
DIS Veteran

Finished book #5: The Fault in our Stars by John Green

I really liked this book. Read it in 16 hrs. It's a very moving story about these teenagers with cancer & how they deal with life and love. It tugged at my heart strings & I shed some tears. Thanks to who recommended it on here!

Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazels story is about to be completely rewritten.
Insightful, bold, irreverent, and raw, The Fault in Our Stars is award-winning-author John Greens most ambitious and heartbreaking work yet, brilliantly exploring the funny, thrilling, and tragic business of being alive and in love.

I've been BOO'd!!

8/2000 Grosvenor Resort (got engaged!), 11/2005 DL PPH CL, 12/2006 Poly, 02/2008 AKL, 2/2010 CR CL, 2/2011 DCL Magic, 11/2011 DL GCH, 10/2012 AKL CL

2013 Book Challenge: 87 out of 75 GOAL MET!!
2014 Book Challenge: 65 out of 85
nemofans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:11 PM   #632
disneyfanforever
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemofans View Post
Finished book #5: The Fault in our Stars by John Green

I really liked this book. Read it in 16 hrs. It's a very moving story about these teenagers with cancer & how they deal with life and love. It tugged at my heart strings & I shed some tears. Thanks to who recommended it on here!

Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazels story is about to be completely rewritten.
Insightful, bold, irreverent, and raw, The Fault in Our Stars is award-winning-author John Greens most ambitious and heartbreaking work yet, brilliantly exploring the funny, thrilling, and tragic business of being alive and in love.
I really liked this book as well!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-01-2013, 09:25 PM   #633
disneyfanforever
DIS Veteran

#8 The Perfect Summer by Luanne Rice
This was a good book about a family torn apart when the father goes missing and some secrets are revealed. The mother/wife, Bay, is a very likeable character and this book kept me interested until the end.

#9 The Time Keeper by Mitch Albom
I thought this book was okay. It was a quick read. It is about Father Time, and two other people and their lives as they learn the meaning of time.

Currently reading Defending Jacob due to all of the positive reviews.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:12 PM   #634
Swimnoid
DIS Veteran

13 OF 75

Pathfinder by Orson Scott Card

I've enjoyed many OSC's books (author of Ender's Game). This one involved time travel and was very confusing the way OSC tried to explain it. The story line was really good but some of the theories got in the way. This is the first of a trilogy. Not sure if I will pursue the second one.

From Goodreads: Rigg is well trained at keeping secrets. Only his father knows the truth about Rigg's strange talent for seeing the paths of people's pasts. But when his father dies, Rigg is stunned to learn just how many secrets Father had kept from him--secrets about Rigg's own past, his identity, and his destiny. And when Rigg discovers that he has the power not only to see the past, but also to change it, his future suddenly becomes anything but certain.
Swimnoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:17 PM   #635
tinkerbellfan6880
pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbellandeeyor
I am considering changing my book is that allowed
I started reading some books I didn't like and I took them off my reading list in Goodreads. So it okay to do that.

So far I have read 7/80 books. Currently reading book number eight which is "The Necromancer" by Michael Scott. Already read the first three in the series and am on the fourth book. Two more in the series and then I am done with that series.

2014 Reading Challenge: 21 out of 100 books

2013 Reading Challenge Completed: 92 out of 80 books read!
tinkerbellfan6880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:44 PM   #636
quietgirll
DIS Veteran

Just finished book 4- crooked letter crooked letter by Tom Franklin. BLECH- quite the disappointment. It started slow for me, and probably took a week to finish cause I just couldn't quite get into it. Then it picked up some, but when it was over I was horribly disappointed I wasted the time. I'm off to find something really good to make up for that one!
Old 02-01-2013, 10:50 PM   #637
Maridw
DisneyMom to Disneylover0105
Love to Dance
Tinkerbell Fan

So I am reading slower than usual and only finished #2 - 30 Pieces of Silver by Carolyn McCray.

Really liked it - lots of action and a lot of twists & turns. Kind of a controversial like Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown, but still very good. When reading this type of book, I go into it with the attitude that it is fiction and to take it as such.
DL yearly 1969-78, Dec 99, Jul 04, Sept 06, Apr 07 FW 1972 SoG Nov 95, Jun 97, Jul 99, Nov 01 AS Sports Resort - Nov 2000; Apr & Nov 02; Mar & May 03; May & Oct 04, Apr 06 Coronado Springs Resort - Nov 03 Pop Century Mar/Apr, May, & Nov 05, Jan 06, Dec 11, Dec 12 Celebration World Resort Nov/Dec 09

It's A Girl - Natalie Grace! 4 years old now! Our dancing baby!

Maridw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:43 AM   #638
tinkerbellfan6880
pixie

Now make that 8 out the 80 books I have read so far. Will start reading another book later today.

2014 Reading Challenge: 21 out of 100 books

2013 Reading Challenge Completed: 92 out of 80 books read!
tinkerbellfan6880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:47 AM   #639
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

Goal: 52 books this year

Book #9 down and done.

A Trick of the Light by Louise Penny. This is one of a series featuring Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, head of homicide of the Surete du Quebec. The mystery is a murder, with enough suspects and motives to keep one interested right to the very last page. The dialogue between Gamache and Inspector Jean Guy Beauvoir, his second-in-command, is witty yet respectful and provides insight to their relationship not often found in other police procedurals. If this is your genre, I highly recommend this author.

I was going to read the novel by my friend, Rainy Kirkland, next, but it's on my Kindle, which I use when I travel, which I'm doing next week. So I'll take Rainy with me to Washington on Tuesday.

On to book #10 - A Fatal Grace, also by Louise Penny. A summary and review when I'm finished reading the book.

Queen Colleen
PigletsPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:26 AM   #640
quietgirll
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigletsPal2
Goal: 52 books this year

Book #9 down and done.

A Trick of the Light by Louise Penny. This is one of a series featuring Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, head of homicide of the Surete du Quebec. The mystery is a murder, with enough suspects and motives to keep one interested right to the very last page. The dialogue between Gamache and Inspector Jean Guy Beauvoir, his second-in-command, is witty yet respectful and provides insight to their relationship not often found in other police procedurals. If this is your genre, I highly recommend this author.

I was going to read the novel by my friend, Rainy Kirkland, next, but it's on my Kindle, which I use when I travel, which I'm doing next week. So I'll take Rainy with me to Washington on Tuesday.

On to book #10 - A Fatal Grace, also by Louise Penny. A summary and review when I'm finished reading the book.

Queen Colleen
Hmm...I've heard good things about Louise penny, maybe I'll check these out!
Old 02-03-2013, 03:22 PM   #641
Kewz1
DIS Veteran

Finished Book 3 of 24!

The Harbinger by Jonathan Cahn. I really enjoyed it. My husband read it in 6 hours. I's good and it (hopefully!) gets you thinking.

Here's part of the overview from bn.com:

Although written in a fictional narrative framework, The Harbinger contains actual biblical prophecy and facts combined with historical American events that began with the destruction of the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001. The ancient harbingers that were given to the nation of Israel are again manifested but this time on American soil—in the same precise progression, containing the same prophetic warning, and holding the key to the nation’s future. The book unveils biblical prophecy so real and so specific that even the most hardened skeptic will find it difficult to dismiss and though it sounds like the plot of a Hollywood thriller—it’s real.
Disney 5K:2003
DCL:2000 (Wonder/Bahamas), 2008 (Magic/W. Caribbean), 2011 (Dream/Bahamas), 2013 (Magic/EB Transatlantic), 2014 (Dream/Mexico)... and now May 2015 (Dream/Bahamas)!

Kewz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:52 PM   #642
portia9
DIS Veteran

I haven't been here for a few days so have a few to add

Goal 100

Book #18 Oh Dear Silvia by Dawn French

This book was not what I expected. Dawn French is an English comedian who's last book was really funny. I expected this to be in the same vein. It was well written and the story is told from the perspective of family and friends of a woman in a coma.

Book #19 The Twisted Root by Anne Perry

Anne Perry writes great Victorian mysteries.

Book #20 The Lucy Family Alphabet by Judith Lucy

An autobiographical story written as short installments about different things relating to the author's (dysfunctional) family.

Book Challenge Goal for 2014-100 books

blueeyedboy~It Happened One Summer~Imperial Requiem~The Search for Anne Perry~A Sprig of Lavender~Pride and Prejudice:The Scenes Jane Austen Never Wrote~The Village Newcomers~The Mist on Bronte Moor~A Village in Jeopardy~The Next Best Thing~Village School~Life After Life~A Room of One's Own~The Rosie Project~Summertime~Cheaper By The Dozen~Belles on Their Toes~A Perfect Life~Kilmeny of the Orchard~The Real Life Mary Poppins~A Proud Taste of Scarlet and Miniver~Expectations of Happiness~The Last Wife of Henry VIII~Tempting Fate~The Rebuttal~A Storm of Swords~A Feast for Crows~A Dance of Dragons~Green Grass~Girt~Village Books~Searching for Shona~The Wonderful Wizard of Oz~The Marvelous Land of Oz~Ozma of Oz~The Maze Runner~Revenge Wears Prada~Captain Wentworth Home From the Sea~Mr Darcy's Great Escape~None But You~For You Alone~Tess of the D'urbervilles~The Pursuit of God~Is It Just Me?~Notes To My Mother-In-Law~The Little Friend~About the B'nai Bagels~Aunt Dimity's Death~Poldark~A Man Lay Dead~Attempting Elizabeth~Mrs Dalloway~The Mayor of Casterbridge~Speaking From Among the Bones~The Second Chance~Aunt Dimity and the Duke~Volunteering~The Fellowship of the Ring~The Two Towers~The Return of the King~Demelza~Innocence of Father Brown~The Lowland~The Europeans~North and South~Quartet in Autumn~Jane Eyre~Collected Works of A.J.Fikry~The Sisterhood~Come and Tell Me Some Lies~How Many Camels Are There in Holland?~
portia9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:55 PM   #643
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

4/24 - The Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsley. I will give this one 4 stars. I like Kearsley's books. I previously have read The Winter Sea and Mariana. These books are like very lite Diana Gabaldon. They involve a present-day woman who has usually suffered some loss going to a quaint town in either Ireland, England, or somewhere and then "accidentally" going back in time. There is romance, intrigue, friendships. All in all, they are good reads. This one had a nice twist at the end.

Quote:
Eva Ward returns to the only place she truly belongs, the old house on the Cornish coast, seeking happiness in memories of childhood summers. There she finds mysterious voices and hidden pathways that sweep her not only into the past, but also into the arms of a man who is not of her time.

But Eva must confront her own ghosts, as well as those of long ago. As she begins to question her place in the present, she comes to realize that she too must decide where she really belongs.

From Susanna Kearsley, author of the New York Times bestseller The Winter Sea and a voice acclaimed by fans of Gabaldon, du Maurier, and Niffenegger alike, The Rose Garden is a haunting exploration of love, family, the true meaning of home, and the ties that bind us together.

Praise for New York Times and USA Today bestseller The Winter Sea :

"Lifts readers straight into another time and place to smell the sea, feel the castle walls, and sense every emotion. These are marks of a fantastic storyteller."
-RT Book Reviews Top Pick of the Month, 4 ½ stars
Now, I've got 4 books from the library that all came into my Kindle over the last three days. How I am going to read them all in 21 days is a mystery!

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:10 PM   #644
Caseheidi
DIS Veteran

Book 7 of 50 (I think I need to increase my goal again. I way underestimated how many books I read! A better goal would be 100)

Cinder(Lunar Chronicles) by Marissa Meyers

(From Good Reads) Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . .

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.

This is a re-read for me in prep of book 2 of the Lunar Chronicles coming out this Tuesday. I give this book a 5 out of 5 stars. It is a fun twist on the Cinderella story that we all know and love. I am eager to read the next book (Scarlet) starting Tuesday as I have it on per-order.

DLR - Aug 1980, Aug 1985, May 1988, April 2002, Dec 2002, Dec 2004, Oct 2012

WDW - July/Aug 2001 (Honeymoon!), Oct 2004, Sept 2005, May 2006, Dec 2007, Dec 2008, Oct 2011
Caseheidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:12 PM   #645
willowsnn3
Tagless not by choice but by circumstance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewz1 View Post
Finished Book 3 of 24!

The Harbinger by Jonathan Cahn. I really enjoyed it. My husband read it in 6 hours. I's good and it (hopefully!) gets you thinking.

Here's part of the overview from bn.com:

Although written in a fictional narrative framework, The Harbinger contains actual biblical prophecy and facts combined with historical American events that began with the destruction of the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001. The ancient harbingers that were given to the nation of Israel are again manifested but this time on American soil—in the same precise progression, containing the same prophetic warning, and holding the key to the nation’s future. The book unveils biblical prophecy so real and so specific that even the most hardened skeptic will find it difficult to dismiss and though it sounds like the plot of a Hollywood thriller—it’s real.
Sounds like something I would like!!

Book Challenge Goal 64/72

willowsnn3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: