Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 08:30 AM   #601
stacy347
I carried a watermelon?

Goal 30
Book #6

Jane Was Here by Sarah Kernochan

Amazon description: A mysterious young woman calling herself Jane turns up in a small New England town. She claims a fragmentary memory of growing up in this place, yet she has never been here before in her life. Upon her arrival, strange and alarming things begin happening to some of the town's inhabitants. As Jane's memories reawaken piece by piece, they carry her back in time to a long-buried secret, while the townspeople hurtle forward to a horrific event when past and present fatally collide.

Some parts were really intriguing, but overall I just didn't love this book. 2.5/5 for me.
May 16-22, 2010 Seralago Resort ~ so much fun!
June 17-23, 2012 Regal Palms ~ loved it!
Oct. 4, 2012 Disney on Ice: Rockin' Ever After

2013 DisBoards Book Challenge 19/45
stacy347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:38 AM   #602
dismom301930
Mouseketeer

Goal: 40

Book 2 - Matched (YA - book 1/3 in the series)
Book 3 - Crossed (YA - book 2/3 in the series)
Book 4 - Defending Jacob (http://www.amazon.com/Defending-Jaco...efending+jacob) I read it based on the recommendations on this thread......stayed up late last night to finish it! It did not disappoint.

Next up: Reached, the final book in the YA series by Ally Condie. I read the first one (Matched) because my DD12 asked me to (we had both read the Hunger Games series and she enjoyed discussing it with me). This series is not as good as Hunger Games, but I can't wait to see how it ends!
dismom301930 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-30-2013, 12:11 PM   #603
Cogswel_Cogs
DIS Veteran

Can anyone suggest good first person, was thinking something similar to "To Serve Man" episode.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:07 PM   #604
3smithboys
DIS Veteran

Goal - 30

Finished book #3

Defending Jacob - really enjoyed this book! Read it from recommendations on this thread. I did find that I was predicting parts of the story as I was reading, but that's ok... I would read other books by this author if they were this good.

next up... Everyday. This is a YA book. I tend to switch back and forth since I teach 6tth grade and like to be able to recommend books to my students too.

Also, I know many of you are on Goodreads and I started an account on there, but did not find it very user friendly. I use Shelfari with my class, and it is very user friendly. SO easy to use....
3smithboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:09 PM   #605
Swimnoid
DIS Veteran

11 of 75

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

FINALLY finished this! I started it last summer when my daughter played Meg in the Little Women opera. She put the book on my Kindle and I started it back then. It just couldnt hold my interest to keep at it and I would drop it for weeks at a time.
Swimnoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:22 PM   #606
kimblebee
now my thoughts will be worth 5 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimnoid
11 of 75

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

FINALLY finished this! I started it last summer when my daughter played Meg in the Little Women opera. She put the book on my Kindle and I started it back then. It just couldnt hold my interest to keep at it and I would drop it for weeks at a time.
I have this one on my to read list. I've decided to try reading some classics. You know, the ones that you feel you should read, if only to say yeah I've read that LOL

I tried Anna Karenina a few years ago but had to put it down. It was so thick with words, for lack of a better description. I'd read two pages and it felt like I had read 100. My sister is a teacher and she said it sounded like the book was too hard for me. She explained it happens for adults, even avid readers. So, that is one book I will never attempt again.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:31 PM   #607
kimblebee

Goal 50

#10 Cell by Stephen King

4.5/5 just because a book has to stop me in my tracks to be a 5 LOL. Another winner by Mr. King. I can't think of one book of his I haven't enjoyed. Oh wait, IT. I actually threw that book out because it scared the bejesus out of me. Yikes! Anyways, this book had a really interesting premise and he saw it through with 'realistic' outcomes. This one wasn't overrun with characters or descriptions which he can do. I liked that because you could get to know the few characters better. I thought it ended perfectly although I wish there was an epilogue. I hate when you are reading a book and you know you are near the end and you suddenly realize there aren't enough pages left to get all the answers you want!

I've read quite a few serious books lately so for #11 I am going with How to Eat a Cupcake, based on recommendations made here.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:34 AM   #608
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimblebee View Post
Goal 50

#10 Cell by Stephen King

4.5/5 just because a book has to stop me in my tracks to be a 5 LOL. Another winner by Mr. King. I can't think of one book of his I haven't enjoyed. Oh wait, IT. I actually threw that book out because it scared the bejesus out of me. Yikes! Anyways, this book had a really interesting premise and he saw it through with 'realistic' outcomes. This one wasn't overrun with characters or descriptions which he can do. I liked that because you could get to know the few characters better. I thought it ended perfectly although I wish there was an epilogue. I hate when you are reading a book and you know you are near the end and you suddenly realize there aren't enough pages left to get all the answers you want!
That's the brilliance of Stephen King. I read CELL when it first came out and I can STILL remember the last line of that book. I still want to know what happened after that phone call. He definitely knows how to make things stay with you!

My 7/50 was ISLAND by Richard Layman because it was a Kindle Daily Deal and people said that Layman was Stephen King's raunchier brother. Since I love horror, and this book was about a group of people stranded on an island with a madman loose, I thought I would love it. But it's sort of akin to a later installment in the Friday the 13th franchise.... focused on sex, kind of campy, unrealistic, and not scary at all. I did not dig it. I've been told you have to be a certain kind of person to like this author's work, and obviously I am not it.

I wanted to mention that Rae Carson's THE GIRL OF FIRE AND THORNS is a daily deal today for the Kindle. It's a really good YA novel with a kickbutt heroine. If you haven't read it yet, now's your chance!
Ginny Favers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:28 AM   #609
keenercam
Wishes she were Mickey's girl
Would settle for looking like Tinkerbell instead of Winnie the Pooh

#14/52 Always the Designer, Never the Bride by Sandra D. Bricker-
I started this series a while ago, so when this one came up for free on Kindle, I bought it. It's very light reading about a wedding gown designer and it revisits the lives of the characters who appeared earlier in the series, which is always nice. It had some underlying themes of Christian faith which contributed to the story rather than overrunning it. I'd probably give it a 4/5, but that might be because I've read so many 5s lately.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:55 PM   #610
willowsnn3
Tagless but proud

Goal 72

#10 Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Read a lot of mixed reviews for this one, but had to read it for myself.
I thought it was just "ok"

Book Challenge Goal 31/72
willowsnn3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:15 PM   #611
jenny105
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenercam View Post
#14/52 Always the Designer, Never the Bride by Sandra D. Bricker-
I started this series a while ago, so when this one came up for free on Kindle, I bought it. It's very light reading about a wedding gown designer and it revisits the lives of the characters who appeared earlier in the series, which is always nice. It had some underlying themes of Christian faith which contributed to the story rather than overrunning it. I'd probably give it a 4/5, but that might be because I've read so many 5s lately.
I read Always the Baker, Never the Bride. I got it free on amazon. I didn't realize this was a series. I'll have to check the rest out!

jenny105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:21 PM   #612
tiggrbaby
We must work harder to stay under the radar for this oneWe always bring our own inflatable noodle

Finished #3/25: The Secret Diary of Alice in Wonderland, Age 42 and Three-Quarters by Barbara Silkstone.

4/5

From Amazon:
Alice Harte's life is falling apart. Her boss at the real estate firm where she works is a litigious and murderous man with ties to "The Mob" in Florida. She KNOWS he has literally beheaded someone in the past.

Her whole life she has dreamed of living in England and meeting a man similar to John Cleese. In an attempt to start breaking away from her boss who is threatening her with a lawsuit, she flies to England to meet Nigel Channing, who has been charming her through e-mails and phone calls.

As her life in Miami falls apart, with mobsters and a pending fraud lawsuit, her romantic savior in England looks more and more tarnished by the hour. And then she stumbles across a beheaded mob boss. How will she ever keep her head and win the lawsuit? And what about love?

Reminded me of a Janet Evanovich-type book. It was fun to see how the author worked in the Alice theme. At some point, I will try one of her other books.

DISboards 2104 Book Challenge: 10/40
DISboards 2013 Book Challenge: 36/35
tiggrbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:36 PM   #613
phorsenuf
Not so New Rule author on the DISSome discuss it calmly and some ...
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

Finished reading The unit by Ninni Holmqvist
#5 of 26
2 stars out of 5

I picked this up as a Kindle freebie. Sounded pretty interesting. The premise is different but I felt it was too wordy. Too descriptive, if that makes any sense. It finally picked up towards the end but up to that point it dragged on. I almost gave up on it but just couldn't. I have such a hard time abandoning books, plus I just did that with my previous one.
My next choice better be a winner.

From Amazon;
When Dorrit Wegner turned fifty, the government transferred her to a state-of-the-art facility where she can live out her days in comfort. Her apartment is furnished to her tastes, her meals expertly served, and all at the very reasonable non-negotiable price of one cardiopulmonary system. Once an outsider without family, derided by a society bent on productivity, Dorrit finds within The Unit the company of kindred spirits and a dignity conferred by 'use' in medical tests. But when Dorrit also finds love, her peaceful submission is blown apart and she must fight to escape before her 'final donation'.

Last edited by phorsenuf; 02-01-2013 at 12:36 PM.
phorsenuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:17 PM   #614
wvjules
DIS Veteran

Finally got a book to hold my interest...Barred to You!
wvjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:47 AM   #615
kimblebee

Goal 50

#11 How to Eat a Cupcake

3/5. A nice easy read. Read it based on recommendations from this thread. Good story and good characters. One part I found a bit hokey but it didn't ruin the book for me. A good book if you are just looking for some fluff.

Next up The Litigators by John Grisham

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: