Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 05:43 PM   #541
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietgirll

Have you tried the aurora Teagarden series by charlaine Harris.,? Love them, some of my favorite books!
I have not tried them YET... But I DO have the first one on my Kindle ready for me.

I like the Harper Connelly series too. I've read the first two.

I have about 100 books on my Kindle to read. Half of my reading battle is just choosing one!
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne, #15- Monument 14: Sky on Fire Emmy Laybourne, #16- The Magicians Lev Grossman, #17, #18, #19- The Strain Trilogy Guillermo Del Toro, #20- A Discovery of Witches Deborah Harkness, #21- Postmortem Patricia Cornwell, #22- The Darkest Minds Alexandra Bracken, #23- The Heist Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg, #24- The Town Bentley Little, #25- The Chase Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg, #26- Relic Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child
Soldier's*Sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:06 PM   #542
Offsides
I enjoy being a girl

I wish I could participate! I love the idea of a book challenge and reading is my favorite. Unfortunately, school sucks all the life and time out of me so I don't have much free time for reading of my own choosing.

However, I am sick and bedridden right now and this thread has been fantastic to look through to find new books to read. Thanks so much, guys! And good luck with your challenge! Hopefully I will be able to participate next year
Register to remove

Old 01-24-2013, 07:40 PM   #543
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeboysmom View Post
I've had Killing Lincoln on my list for quite some time now. I think I'm scared to read it. I'm not a history buff whatsoever. Is it really heavy on the history.... meaning does it read like a textbook?
It doesn't read like a textbook at all. There's a lot of description of places, battle scenes (ugh!), what the major players were probably thinking, how sequences of events unfolded...I'm enjoying it (probably not the right word!), but I can't read more than two or three chapters at one time. Why not give it a try? There's no "book police" here if you decide it's not for you.

Queen Colleen
PigletsPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:54 PM   #544
quietgirll
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier's*Sweeties

I have not tried them YET... But I DO have the first one on my Kindle ready for me.

I like the Harper Connelly series too. I've read the first two.

I have about 100 books on my Kindle to read. Half of my reading battle is just choosing one!
I really liked the Harper series, but didn't care for the way it ended...but of all her books, the aurora ones are the best!
Old 01-24-2013, 11:40 PM   #545
quietgirll
DIS Veteran

Finished book 3, the racketeer by John Grisham last night. It was ok- started very slowly, but once I got into it, it was very good. Had to stay up late last night to finish, didn't want to go to bed till it was done- trying to decide on book 4 now!
Old 01-25-2013, 09:24 AM   #546
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it

I think I am officially the last person on Earth to read THE ART OF RACING IN THE RAIN by Garth Stein. That's my book 6/50. It's narrated by a dog.

WHY DID I WAIT?? It was so good. I wept at the end, and I'm not even a dog lover.
Ginny Favers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:42 AM   #547
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginny Favers View Post
I think I am officially the last person on Earth to read THE ART OF RACING IN THE RAIN by Garth Stein. That's my book 6/50. It's narrated by a dog.

WHY DID I WAIT?? It was so good. I wept at the end, and I'm not even a dog lover.
I haven't read it either. And I AM a big dog lover. But it sounds like it would be too sad for me.
Right now I'm reading "Secrets of the Lost Summer" by Carla Neggers. I'm only 17% into it, bit so far I really enjoy it. I was originally attracted to it only because it's set on the Quabbin Reservoir in MA, where we used to live. DH used to fish there, and we spent the first 10 years of our marriage living near the Quabbin.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:57 AM   #548
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offsides View Post
I wish I could participate! I love the idea of a book challenge and reading is my favorite. Unfortunately, school sucks all the life and time out of me so I don't have much free time for reading of my own choosing.

However, I am sick and bedridden right now and this thread has been fantastic to look through to find new books to read. Thanks so much, guys! And good luck with your challenge! Hopefully I will be able to participate next year
Oh join us in the fun! Even if your goal is just 3 books this year, we want you to participate!

Sorry to hear you're sick & bedridden right now. Hope you can make the most of it and GET BETTER SOON!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigletsPal2 View Post
It doesn't read like a textbook at all. There's a lot of description of places, battle scenes (ugh!), what the major players were probably thinking, how sequences of events unfolded...I'm enjoying it (probably not the right word!), but I can't read more than two or three chapters at one time. Why not give it a try? There's no "book police" here if you decide it's not for you.

Queen Colleen
I know. Kind of silly for me not to at least try it, lol. I'm the type of person though that has a HARD time quitting a book once I've started it. I need to stop being so darn stubborn, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginny Favers View Post

Not officially the last person. I don't have that one on my list even though I've heard great things. I just can't wrap my head around a book narrated by a dog. May have to rethink it...

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife, #16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker, #26 Rainshadow Road, #27 The Art of Hearing Heartbeats, #28 Little Bee, #29 The Art Forger, #30 One Plus One, #31 Double Whammy, #32 The Girl You Left Behind, #33 Orphan Train, #34 Big Little Lies, #35 The Good Girl, #36 The Girl with All the Gifts, #37 Outlander, #38 Lucid, #39 You, #40 Dragonfly in Amber

Currently reading: #41 Voyager

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:03 AM   #549
Soldier's*Sweeties
I'll take the Palmettos

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietgirll View Post
I really liked the Harper series, but didn't care for the way it ended...but of all her books, the aurora ones are the best!
Well I have changed my mind. This morning I started Real Murders instead.

So.....#2-Real Murders by Charlaine Harris
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne, #15- Monument 14: Sky on Fire Emmy Laybourne, #16- The Magicians Lev Grossman, #17, #18, #19- The Strain Trilogy Guillermo Del Toro, #20- A Discovery of Witches Deborah Harkness, #21- Postmortem Patricia Cornwell, #22- The Darkest Minds Alexandra Bracken, #23- The Heist Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg, #24- The Town Bentley Little, #25- The Chase Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg, #26- Relic Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child
Old 01-25-2013, 11:15 AM   #550
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom View Post
I haven't read it either. And I AM a big dog lover. But it sounds like it would be too sad for me.
Not sad so much as inspirational. A lot of the weeping was from happiness, more than sadness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeboysmom View Post

Not officially the last person. I don't have that one on my list even though I've heard great things. I just can't wrap my head around a book narrated by a dog. May have to rethink it...
I thought the same thing, which is probably why I took so long for me to read it. It's been on my radar for years, but I kept thinking, "A Dog? So it's just going to be Marley & Me, but from the dog's point of view." But it's really much more inspirational than that.
Ginny Favers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:41 PM   #551
Swimnoid
DIS Veteran

#10 of 75

Thunder & Rain by Charles Martin

"Third generation Texas Ranger Tyler Steele is the last of a dying breed-- a modern day cowboy hero living in a world that doesn't quite understand his powerful sense of right and wrong and instinct to defend those who can't defend themselves."

Nice little romance with some good action. This was my first book by this author. I'll probably find some others by him.
Swimnoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:52 PM   #552
keenercam
Wishes she were Mickey's girl
Would settle for looking like Tinkerbell instead of Winnie the Pooh

8. Fatal Affair by Marie Force - This one was really, really good. For those of you who like Nora Roberts/J.D. Robb's "In Death" series, I think you'd really like this as it has a lot of the same elements -- strong female protagonist who is in law enforcement and a strong but sensitive male protagonist who you can't help but fall a little in love with. (I know that's bad grammar - LOL!) It is set present day, as opposed to mid-21st century.

Even if you haven't read/don't love the J.D. Robb series, there is a good chance you'd like this mix of suspense, drama and hot romance.

I got it free on Kindle and loved it so much that I just bought the second book in the series. I'll be back soon to let you know how it is.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:24 PM   #553
Soldier's*Sweeties
I'll take the Palmettos

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenercam View Post
8. Fatal Affair by Marie Force - This one was really, really good. For those of you who like Nora Roberts/J.D. Robb's "In Death" series, I think you'd really like this as it has a lot of the same elements -- strong female protagonist who is in law enforcement and a strong but sensitive male protagonist who you can't help but fall a little in love with. (I know that's bad grammar - LOL!) It is set present day, as opposed to mid-21st century.

Even if you haven't read/don't love the J.D. Robb series, there is a good chance you'd like this mix of suspense, drama and hot romance.

I got it free on Kindle and loved it so much that I just bought the second book in the series. I'll be back soon to let you know how it is.
Thanks for the suggestion!

I love Nora Roberts but for some reason just never got into the J.D. Robb stuff. Maybe I will like these better.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:43 PM   #554
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

Quote:

They really get us hooked with the free Kindle books, don't they? I downloaded one, a diary kept by a British woman during WWII, chronicling her experiences during the Blitz and her problems in her marriage and with her grown children - touching on just about everything that could happen to Londoners at that time. I was fascinated with the book (as I am with that period of history; I'm one of the first wave of baby boomers) and promptly ordered volumes 2-4!

Queen Colleen
PigletsPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:12 PM   #555
disneyfanforever
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I am going to have to check this one out. I love Nora Roberts/JD Robb books! Thanks for the recommendation!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: