Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2013, 09:34 AM   #511
keenercam
Wishes she were Mickey's girl
Would settle for looking like Tinkerbell instead of Winnie the Pooh

I read a lot of free Kindle books. I also end up buying books by authors who have put a book up on Kindle for free - if I like that one, I read others in the series or by the same author. That is what happened with books #2 and #3 that I've read this year - book 1 was free and I liked it enough to buy the others.

1. Worth the Weight by Mara Jacobs - very good romance; some racy parts - first in series about 3 BFFs (this one is about "the nice one")
2. Worth the Drive by Mara Jacobs - sequel; very good; this one is about "the pretty one"
3. Worth the Fall by Mara Jacobs -- another romance in the series about the 3rd of three BFFs (this one is about "the smart one"
4. Cancelled by Elizabeth Anne West (mediocre romance, told from male POV)
5. 11/22/63 by Stephen King --EXCELLENT; so well researched and totally believable
6. Seduced By a Pirate by Eloisa James (fluff; companion to "The Ugly Duchess" which was wonderful)
7. Three Brides, No Groom by Debbie Macomber (kind of "eh"; I usually like her books but this one seemed kind of "cursory" and rushed to a totally predictable ending)

I read 11/22/63 on the recommendation of so many people on these book threads on the Community Board, and I am SOOO glad I took the recommendation. It was excellent, really enthralling!
Old 01-22-2013, 10:52 AM   #512
fireworks fan
Mouseketeer

I like Edward Rutherford too-haven't read anything since London many years ago though

I'm behind on updating my list:

goal:52 books

book 3-The Kingmaker's Daughter by Philippa Gregory
This is a typical Gregory novel. Fun historical fiction, this time following Anne Neville as she eventually becomes Queen of England for a brief time.

Then for fun as a result of this thread I reread
book 4-Confessions of a Shopaholic and
book 5-Shopaholic Takes Manhattan by Sophie Kinsella

And I am now working on book 6-Defending Jacob, also as a result of this thread. However, I was shocked to realize that the book is set in Newton, CT and after the recent tragedy, reading about another child's murder there really threw me.
fireworks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-22-2013, 12:21 PM   #513
SEASONK
Mouseketeer

I did alot of reading this past holiday weekend.

Goal 75

Book #5 Defending Jacob by William Landay

Overall I liked this book, it was certainly not the most well written book I have ever read, but it kept me engaged. I recommend it, and think it would be a great book club book. So many different things to discuss.

Book #6 Sixteen Brides by Stephanie Grace Whitson

This was not marketed as Christian fiction, but it had some Christian themes. I liked the idea of the book, but it was kind of hard to keep up with who was who. It was set in the 1800's, and centered around Civil War widows making a new start in Nebraska.

Book #7 A Cowboy's Touch by Denise Hunter

This is the first book in the Christian fiction Big Sky series. It was a good easy read. I liked that the characters were flawed, and there was def. some heat between the couple, but it was clean. You just sometimes don't get that in Christian fiction. (flawed characters and sexual tension)

I keep adding more and more books to my to be read list, after reading everyone's reviews. I love discovering new books, and I am loving this thread.
WL ~ Dec 2010
CBR ~ Oct 2012
SEASONK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:24 PM   #514
tinkerbellfan6880
pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeboysmom

Welcome to our new members! So glad you could join us!

It's exciting to see what everyone is reading!!
Thank you for welcoming me! I saw the 2013 Book Challenge when I joined up for the Goodreads app. Just decide to do it because I love to read.

2014 Reading Challenge: 21 out of 100 books

2013 Reading Challenge Completed: 92 out of 80 books read!
tinkerbellfan6880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:52 PM   #515
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun

Book #3 finished - The Boots My Mother Gave Me by Brooklyn James

For description: http://www.amazon.com/The-Boots-Moth...mother+gave+me

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
BearcatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:19 PM   #516
dizluvah
DIS Veteran

Goal 40, finished book #9
The Center of Everything by Laura Moriarty
coming of age book, mother/daughter relationships...meh - i gave it 2 stars
Old 01-22-2013, 08:49 PM   #517
nemofans
DIS Veteran

Finished book #3: Home Front by Kristin Hannah

I had to read this for my book club & didn't know anything about it. This was such a powerful book that had me crying through at least half the book. I can't imagine dealing with what this mom had to deal with. I highly recommend this book!

Like many couples, Michael and Jolene Zarkades have to face the pressures of everyday life---children, careers, bills, chores---even as their twelve-year marriage is falling apart. Then an unexpected deployment sends Jolene deep into harms way and leaves defense attorney Michael at home, unaccustomed to being a single parent to their two girls. As a mother, it agonizes Jolene to leave her family, but as a solider she has always understood the true meaning of duty.

I've been BOO'd!!

8/2000 Grosvenor Resort (got engaged!), 11/2005 DL PPH CL, 12/2006 Poly, 02/2008 AKL, 2/2010 CR CL, 2/2011 DCL Magic, 11/2011 DL GCH, 10/2012 AKL CL

2013 Book Challenge: 87 out of 75 GOAL MET!!
2014 Book Challenge: 65 out of 85
nemofans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:16 PM   #518
CourtasanSatine
I'm partial to the 4th seaters
Has a crush on James Marsden
I'm a Trendy in a Preppy family

Question: Are the Bones novels anything like the show? Just being on the safe side before placing the hold on the most recent 2.

Come and get me boys: Satine

"For Justice!" "For Kibbles!"

"Or maybe its the plumbing!"

CourtasanSatine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:25 PM   #519
quietgirll
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtasanSatine
Question: Are the Bones novels anything like the show? Just being on the safe side before placing the hold on the most recent 2.
Only that they have a character named temperance Brennan and she deals with bones and murder....other than that, I found no resemblance...
Old 01-22-2013, 10:36 PM   #520
CourtasanSatine
I'm partial to the 4th seaters
Has a crush on James Marsden
I'm a Trendy in a Preppy family

quietgirl: Knowing that I'll try one novel and see how it goes.

Come and get me boys: Satine

"For Justice!" "For Kibbles!"

"Or maybe its the plumbing!"

CourtasanSatine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:37 PM   #521
Swimnoid
DIS Veteran

I havent been around the boards for a few days and I am seeing some great ideas for future reads!

Goal = 75

#7 Double Take-- Catherine Coulter

“FBI agents Dillon Savich and Lacey Sherlock are joined by one of their own and a Virginia sheriff in an extraordinary case that immerses them in the world of psychic visions, mind benders, and communications with the dead.”

I usually like the Savich/Sherlock novels but this one was just a little too weird. Too many characters and too much coincidence.

#8 A Boy No More-- Paxton Davis

“When Paxton Davis and his fellow soldiers returned from WW II, they found a changed America. In A BOY NO MORE, Davis describes the world that awaited them--a world created by the generation that gave us our amazing triumph in WW II and powered our emergence as global superstar.”

This is the 3rd in an autobiographical series. I picked up the first one, Being a Boy, because the author grew up during the Depression in the town where I work. It was fun to hear him tell of playing with his neighbors who became standouts in the community and whose names adorn Hospitals and stadiums and such. The second one deals with his years in WWII. And this one how he enters adult hood after returning from the war.

#9 Bake Sale Murder-- Leslie Meier

“Ever since local developer Fred Stanton and his wife, Mimi, built five modular homes next door to Lucy Stone’s farmhouse, life just hasn’t been the same. With Mimi complaining about everything from the state of Lucy’s lawn to another neighbor’s lovable dog, quaint Tinker’s Cove, Maine, is now entangled in cul-de-sac politics and backstabbing. And when Mimi doesn’t show up for her shift at The Hat and Mitten Fund bake sale, the scent of burnt sugar leads Lucy to a shocking discovery: Mimi, face down on her kitchen floor—with a knife in her back.”

Cute , funny, quick read. Perfect for when you just want to be entertained.
Swimnoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:15 AM   #522
Caseheidi
DIS Veteran

Goal: 50

Book #4: Murder On The House by Juliette Blackwell (part of the Haunted House Renovation series)

I enjoy this series. They are light hearted murder mysteries. Mel (short for Melanie) is a 40 something Divorcee who says she would like nothing better then to run away to Paris and wallow in self pity. Instead she is running her fathers business as a General Contractor specializing in restoring Historical homes in the San Francisco area. Oh, and in the first book of the series, she discovers that she can communicate with Ghosts.

For this book, Mel is asked to bid on a mansion in the Castro district. The client is looking at two contractors, and stipulates that the two contractors must spend the night in the house with the Ghosts. Needless to say, the night is filled with Ghosts and murder, and Mel us compelled to figure out what has happened.

A fun easy read. Mel and her friends are an interesting bunch, and I find myself wanting more. This was a good time for me to read this book as I have two more going that I cannot get into. Hopefully I will finish at least one if them!

DLR - Aug 1980, Aug 1985, May 1988, April 2002, Dec 2002, Dec 2004, Oct 2012

WDW - July/Aug 2001 (Honeymoon!), Oct 2004, Sept 2005, May 2006, Dec 2007, Dec 2008, Oct 2011
Caseheidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:14 AM   #523
portia9
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewz1 View Post
Even more richly detailed, thrilling, and romantic then anything Rutherfurd has written before, Paris: The Novel illuminates thousands of years in the City of Lights through intimate and vivid tales of characters both fictional and true, and with them, the sights, scents, and tastes of Paris come to sumptuous life.
Oh that would be a great read. Have to keep an eye out for it.

My goal 100

#12 The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton

1961 England. Laurel Nicolson is sixteen years old, dreaming alone in her childhood tree house during a family celebration at their home, Green Acres Farm. She spies a stranger coming up the long road to the farm and then observes her mother, Dorothy, speaking to him. And then she witnesses a crime.

Fifty years later, Laurel is a successful and well-regarded actress, living in London. She returns to Green Acres for Dorothy’s ninetieth birthday and finds herself overwhelmed by memories and questions she has not thought about for decades. She decides to find out the truth about the events of that summer day and lay to rest her own feelings of guilt. One photograph, of her mother and a woman Laurel has never met, called Vivian, is her first clue.

The Secret Keeper explores longings and dreams, the lengths some people go to fulfill them, and the strange consequences they sometimes have. It is a story of lovers, friends, dreamers and schemers, play-acting and deception told against a backdrop of events that changed the world.

I loved the majority of this book. I did feel at one stage that the ends were being tied up a little too neatly but by the end I was happy.

#13 Madonna of the Seven Hills by Jean Plaidy

A fictional account of the early life of Lucezia Borgia. I am not a huge Jean Plaidy fan but I was interested in the Borgias.

Book Challenge Goal for 2014-100 books

blueeyedboy~It Happened One Summer~Imperial Requiem~The Search for Anne Perry~A Sprig of Lavender~Pride and Prejudice:The Scenes Jane Austen Never Wrote~The Village Newcomers~The Mist on Bronte Moor~A Village in Jeopardy~The Next Best Thing~Village School~Life After Life~A Room of One's Own~The Rosie Project~Summertime~Cheaper By The Dozen~Belles on Their Toes~A Perfect Life~Kilmeny of the Orchard~The Real Life Mary Poppins~A Proud Taste of Scarlet and Miniver~Expectations of Happiness~The Last Wife of Henry VIII~Tempting Fate~The Rebuttal~A Storm of Swords~A Feast for Crows~A Dance of Dragons~Green Grass~Girt~Village Books~Searching for Shona~The Wonderful Wizard of Oz~The Marvelous Land of Oz~Ozma of Oz~The Maze Runner~Revenge Wears Prada~Captain Wentworth Home From the Sea~Mr Darcy's Great Escape~None But You~For You Alone~Tess of the D'urbervilles~The Pursuit of God~Is It Just Me?~Notes To My Mother-In-Law~The Little Friend~About the B'nai Bagels~Aunt Dimity's Death~Poldark~A Man Lay Dead~Attempting Elizabeth~Mrs Dalloway~The Mayor of Casterbridge~Speaking From Among the Bones~The Second Chance~Aunt Dimity and the Duke~Volunteering~The Fellowship of the Ring~The Two Towers~The Return of the King~Demelza~Innocence of Father Brown~The Lowland~The Europeans~North and South~Quartet in Autumn~Jane Eyre~Collected Works of A.J.Fikry~The Sisterhood~Come and Tell Me Some Lies~How Many Camels Are There in Holland?~
portia9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:11 AM   #524
CharityLynn
DIS Veteran

Okay got 2 more books read both are part of a series.

Pure and Deity by Jennifer Armentrout.

I really enjoyed this series but now I have to wait until November for the next book to come out.

After these I believe I am down to 24/30
Bay Lake Tower 10/10

CharityLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:17 AM   #525
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharityLynn View Post
Okay got 2 more books read both are part of a series.

Pure and Deity by Jennifer Armentrout.
Oh she's so sweet! I signed with her last August and she didn't even mind that I kept gushing for 3 hours about how I loved her books. Have you read the Lux novels?
Ginny Favers is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: