Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 10:13 PM   #466
Glynis
Taking applications for a WDW tour guide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto3gr8boys View Post
What reading level/age is The Candy Shop War good for? I am on a never-ending quest for books for my DS12 who is a reluctant reader! And speaking of, thank you to whomever mentioned the cryptozoology books...I found one at B&N and ordered it. It was on my kitchen counter when DS came in...then he was very quiet and next thing I knew, he was reading it. Miracle of miracles lol....big thanks!
The Candy Shop War is probably a good pick for your son. My boy started it when he was 10, but never finished it. He's 13, now, and enjoyed listening to it while I read it out loud. It made him want to read the sequel. Have you tried the Percy Jackson books? My boy was a really reluctant reader until he started those, but once he started them, WHAM! He went through them quickly!

2014 Reading Challenge Goal: 70 books

The Art of Racing in the Rain ~ The House of Hades ~ How To Be Like Walt ~ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows ~ The Seven Mouths of God ~ Behind the Beautiful Forevers ~ The Mysterious Affair at Styles ~ The Big 5-Oh ~ A Year in the Life of William Shakespeare ~ Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children ~ Wait Till Next Year ~ While We Were Watching Downton Abbey ~ Great Expectations ~ The Maze Runner ~ The Fault In Our Stars ~ The Juliet Club ~ The Girls' Guide to Love and Supper Clubs ~ The Power of One ~ The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat ~ Hollow City ~ The Fountainhead ~ Cat's Cradle ~ Speaking From Among The Bones ~ Death Comes to Pemberley ~ Quilt or Innocence ~ The Chocolate Thief ~ On Strike for Christmas ~ Bikini Season ~ Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker ~ Miss Dreamsville and the Collier County Women's Literary Society ~ Cinnamon Roll Murder ~ Red Velvet Cupcake Murder ~ Blackberry Pie Murder ~ Home To Holly Springs ~ In The Company of Others ~ The Devil in the White City ~ Gathering Blue ~ Messenger ~ The Bell Jar ~ The Boys in the Boat ~ The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches ~ Son ~ Beach Colors ~ Welcome to Last Chance ~ Last Chance Beauty Queen ~ Last Chance Knit and Stitch ~ The World According to Garp ~ The Bean Trees ~ I'll Be Seeing You ~ The Hours ~ Prodigal Summer ~ The Ocean at the End of the Lane ~ The Light Between Oceans
Glynis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:17 PM   #467
Glynis
Taking applications for a WDW tour guide!

Goal - 50 books

Book #9 - "The Meryl Streep Movie Club" by Mia March.

Isabel, June and Kat are reunited at the Maine Inn that is run by their aunt/mother Lolly. Lolly has news that comes as a shock to the girls. They have to overcome their differences and pull together to help Lolly and the Inn. Each Friday is movie night, and this months topic is Meryl Streep.

I enjoyed this book! Realistic characters and situations, engaging plot and dialogue. A really good "beach" read!

Next up: Continuing "A Team of Rivals" and start Mary Mrs. A. Lincoln by Janis Cooke Newman.

2014 Reading Challenge Goal: 70 books

The Art of Racing in the Rain ~ The House of Hades ~ How To Be Like Walt ~ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows ~ The Seven Mouths of God ~ Behind the Beautiful Forevers ~ The Mysterious Affair at Styles ~ The Big 5-Oh ~ A Year in the Life of William Shakespeare ~ Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children ~ Wait Till Next Year ~ While We Were Watching Downton Abbey ~ Great Expectations ~ The Maze Runner ~ The Fault In Our Stars ~ The Juliet Club ~ The Girls' Guide to Love and Supper Clubs ~ The Power of One ~ The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat ~ Hollow City ~ The Fountainhead ~ Cat's Cradle ~ Speaking From Among The Bones ~ Death Comes to Pemberley ~ Quilt or Innocence ~ The Chocolate Thief ~ On Strike for Christmas ~ Bikini Season ~ Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker ~ Miss Dreamsville and the Collier County Women's Literary Society ~ Cinnamon Roll Murder ~ Red Velvet Cupcake Murder ~ Blackberry Pie Murder ~ Home To Holly Springs ~ In The Company of Others ~ The Devil in the White City ~ Gathering Blue ~ Messenger ~ The Bell Jar ~ The Boys in the Boat ~ The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches ~ Son ~ Beach Colors ~ Welcome to Last Chance ~ Last Chance Beauty Queen ~ Last Chance Knit and Stitch ~ The World According to Garp ~ The Bean Trees ~ I'll Be Seeing You ~ The Hours ~ Prodigal Summer ~ The Ocean at the End of the Lane ~ The Light Between Oceans
Glynis is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-20-2013, 01:13 AM   #468
CourtasanSatine
I'm partial to the 4th seaters
Has a crush on James Marsden
I'm a Trendy in a Preppy family

Next up: Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (just saw the movie).

Come and get me boys: Satine

"For Justice!" "For Kibbles!"

"Or maybe its the plumbing!"

CourtasanSatine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:06 AM   #469
S. C.
Loves to snorkel
Swam with the dolphins
Got soaked on BTMRR
Another tag

I didn't take the challenge but have read 6 books since the last week of December. Got a Kindle Fire HD and it got me to reading again. Just finished the following book. Loved it.

Wait for Me: Elisabeth Naughton

A 2013 Bookie Award Nominee – Best eBook Novel of the year!
A 2012 Readers' Choice Awards finalist!

A woman without a past…

After a tragic accident left her with no memory, Kate Alexander struggled to fit in with a husband and world that didn’t feel right. She’s had no reason to question what friends and family have told her, not until her husband is suddenly killed and she finds a photo of a young girl in his office. A girl who can’t be anyone but a daughter Kate didn’t know she had.

A man desperate for a reason to live…

Ryan Harrison lost his wife in a plane crash five years ago. To cope with the pain of her loss, he dedicated himself to his job and to raising their daughter. Now a successful pharmaceutical executive, Ryan has everything a man could want—money, fame and power—but he’d give it all up in a heartbeat for just one more day with the woman he still loves.

Two lives about to converge.

As Kate begins to dig into a past she doesn’t remember, evidence leads her to San Francisco and puts her on the path toward Ryan, a man who sees in her the woman he loved and lost. Kate feels a draw to Ryan, one she can’t explain, but is that feeling enough to convince her this is where she’s supposed to be? As Ryan and Kate search for answers, they uncover lies long buried, a passion hotter than either expected and a danger that threatens…even now…when the second chance they’ve both been searching for is finally within reach.
..................If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

There's a great big, beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day!

I've been BOO'ED!!!

S. C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:07 AM   #470
S. C.
Loves to snorkel
Swam with the dolphins
Got soaked on BTMRR
Another tag

Double post
..................If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

There's a great big, beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day!

I've been BOO'ED!!!

Last edited by S. C.; 01-20-2013 at 04:34 AM.
S. C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:38 AM   #471
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by portia9 View Post
I would love to join this thread. I committed to 100 books this year (I read quickly so this is doable for me. I have been tracking on goodreads. So far I have read:-

The Chaperone by Laura Moriarty-really recommend this-a good easy read set in the 1920's.
The Map of Time by Felix J Palma-this was a really interesting story about time travel and has some famous people pop up as characters
The Limpopo Academy of Private Detection by Alexander McCall Smith-the latest in the Precious Ramotswe series, love this author
Miles Off Course by Sulari Gentill-Australian mystery set in the 1930's. It was ok, I would read this author again
Life, Death and Vanilla Slices by Jenny Eclair-funny and sad book, easy to read
Mr Chen's Emporium by Deborah O'Brien-Australian book set in a country town exploring the lives of two woman in different centuries-loved the story of the 1800's woman
Wedding Fever by Kim Grunenfelder-light read, not great
Flight Behaviour by Barbara Kingsolver-enjoyed this, great protaganist and thought provoking subject matter
Under the Ivy:The Life and Music of Kate Bush by Graham Thomson-a great biography
Victims by Jonathon Kellerman-love Jonathon Kellerman and this was a good one

That is a lot even for me but I am in Australia and we are on our summer break so I have been able to do lots of reading Looking forward to reading through this thread and getting recommendations.
Welcome! I am so envious of people (like my mom) that can read 100 books in a year. Someday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggrbaby View Post
Put me down for 25. Read The Nineteenth Wife already and currently on No Wake Zone.
Welcome! So glad you could join us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. C. View Post
I didn't take the challenge but have read 6 books since the last week of December. Got a Kindle Fire HD and it got me to reading again. Just finished the following book. Loved it.
It's not too late to join up if you want to set a goal for yourself! New fellow book addicts are ALWAYS welcome!

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife, #16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker, #26 Rainshadow Road, #27 The Art of Hearing Heartbeats, #28 Little Bee, #29 The Art Forger, #30 One Plus One, #31 Double Whammy, #32 The Girl You Left Behind, #33 Orphan Train, #34 Big Little Lies, #35 The Good Girl, #36 The Girl with All the Gifts, #37 Outlander, #38 Lucid, #39 You, #40 Dragonfly in Amber

Currently reading: #41 Voyager

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:47 AM   #472
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Finished #3 out of 30.

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain

It was an interesting read, but I didn't love it. I'm a quiet person by nature and thought that this book would be more on the practical side, but it wasn't. The book for the most part offered proof that introverts can make a difference in our world, but I didn't find that surprising. The only 2 chapters that were practical in nature dealt with how to handle your quiet children (doesn't apply to me) and how to communicate with the other sex when it's an introvert/extrovert relationship (again, didn't apply).

The book had good reviews, but it just wasn't what I expected. I give it 3 stars - average.

Still reading #4 The Passage by Justin Cronin. Hoping to finish this week!

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife, #16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker, #26 Rainshadow Road, #27 The Art of Hearing Heartbeats, #28 Little Bee, #29 The Art Forger, #30 One Plus One, #31 Double Whammy, #32 The Girl You Left Behind, #33 Orphan Train, #34 Big Little Lies, #35 The Good Girl, #36 The Girl with All the Gifts, #37 Outlander, #38 Lucid, #39 You, #40 Dragonfly in Amber

Currently reading: #41 Voyager

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:59 AM   #473
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeboysmom View Post
Finished #3 out of 30.

It was an interesting read, but I didn't love it. I'm a quiet person by nature and thought that this book would be more on the practical side, but it wasn't. The book for the most part offered proof that introverts can make a difference in our world, but I didn't find that surprising. The only 2 chapters that were practical in nature dealt with how to handle your quiet children (doesn't apply to me) and how to communicate with the other sex when it's an introvert/extrovert relationship (again, didn't apply).
I wanted to say that I 100% agree with your assessment (introvert here). It didn't really help me with anything BUT, I think it is a book that ALL extroverts should read. I find that extroverts are absolutely flummoxed by introverts, take them the wrong way, don't know how to deal with them (yet, I find introverts fairly understanding and accepting of extroverts...). I think extroverts, especially in the business world, should read the book to gain some insight into what some of the people they will be working with are like. One of my supervisors read the book (she is what I would call a "little e"). She kind of straddles extroversion and introversion. She feels she is surrounded by introverts and she found the book pretty interesting and helpful.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:27 AM   #474
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto3gr8boys View Post
I am on a never-ending quest for books for my DS12 who is a reluctant reader!
I can't remember if I previously post this on this particular thread, but if your son is a Disney fan, he may enjoy The Kingdom Keepers series by Ridley Pearson. It starts out with five middle schoolers who are selected to be Digital Holographic Images (DHIs) to serve as guides around the various parks.

As they learn about the different "super powers" they possess, they are recruited by a group of Imagineers, led by the mysterious "Wayne," to defeat a group of disgruntled Disney villans, dubbed the Overtakers, who are intent on gaining control of the Disney theme park empire.

Although it's classified as YA literature, I've thoroughly enjoyed all four books I've read so far. I'll read #5 when it comes out in paperback, probably this summer. Hope this helps your reluctant reader!

Queen Colleen
PigletsPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:23 AM   #475
wvjules
DIS Veteran

I finished The Perks of Being a Wallflower last night. I think it only took a day to read. (I love being at the lake!) Anyway, have you ever finished a book and aren't sure what you thought of it? That's what this book is like for me. I think I'm giving it a 4 out of 5 for now.

Now time to give Stephanie Bond a try until football starts.

Lets go Ravens!!!
wvjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:23 PM   #476
quietgirll
DIS Veteran

I'm in! I'm setting my goal as 100, which is definitely doable for me, even tho I'm starting late. I just finished my re-read of gone girl last night, and today I'm starting the new Linwood Barclay, Trust Your Eyes. I always love his books, and this one has great reviews! I'm looking forward to getting lots of book suggestions from this thread, finding books to read is always way harder for me than reading them!

Last edited by quietgirll; 01-20-2013 at 12:46 PM.
quietgirll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:31 PM   #477
nemofans
DIS Veteran

Finished book #2:

I read this b/c my DH read it & told me to read it. We are both introverts & have 2 introverted sons. Just like the 2 pp that read this, I felt it was okay. It made me feel that it's okay being an introvert & we have valuable strengths. It also talked about accepting our sons as introverts & not try to change them (which I already do). Our society is extrovert focused & need to understand what introverts can offer. I liked the comment how extroverts are more outspoken & how, in our society, that is mistaken for being a good leader. I agree that extroverts are the ones who should read this.

Next book: Home Front by Kristin Hannah

8/2000 WDW Grosvenor Resort (got engaged!), 11/2005 DL PPH CL, 12/2006 WDW Poly, 02/2008 WDW AKL, 2/2010 WDW CR CL, 2/2011 DCL Magic, 11/2011 DL GCH, 10/2012 WDW AKL CL

2013 Book Challenge: 87 out of 75 GOAL MET!!
2014 Book Challenge: 91 out of 85 GOAL MET!!
nemofans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:41 PM   #478
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietgirll View Post
I'm in! I'm setting my goal as 100, which is definitely doable for me, even tho I'm starting late. I just finished my re-read of gone girl last night, and today I'm starting the new Linwood Barclay, Trust Your Eyes. I always love his books, and this one has great reviews! I'm looking forward to getting lots of book suggestions from this thread, finding books to read is always way hare for me than reading them!
I read Trust Your Eyes back in November and I really enjoyed it.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:45 PM   #479
Kewz1
DIS Veteran

Finished two books and it's still January!

Book 1 - And Only to Deceive - Historical Fiction/vacation read. It was ok, not great. It's part of a series and I'm planning on reading the second one. I'll see after that.

Book 2 - The Book Thief - Incredible book. My son read this in his Contemporary Lit class and liked it. I read over 300 pages in one day.

Next up: 11/22/63 by Stephen King

Kristen
Disney 5K:2003
DCL:2000 (Wonder/Bahamas), 2008 (Magic/W. Caribbean), 2011 (Dream/Bahamas), 2013 (Magic/EB Transatlantic), 2014 (Dream/Mexico)... and now May 2015 (Dream/Bahamas)!

Kewz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:50 PM   #480
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvjules View Post
I finished The Perks of Being a Wallflower last night. I think it only took a day to read. (I love being at the lake!) Anyway, have you ever finished a book and aren't sure what you thought of it? That's what this book is like for me. I think I'm giving it a 4 out of 5 for now.

Now time to give Stephanie Bond a try until football starts.

Lets go Ravens!!!
I LOVE Stephanie Bond. I really liked In Deep VooDoo! (I have read a few others as well, but that was my favorite.)

I should be done with #1 by...I'll say Tuesday.
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne, #15- Monument 14: Sky on Fire Emmy Laybourne, #16- The Magicians Lev Grossman, #17, #18, #19- The Strain Trilogy Guillermo Del Toro, #20- A Discovery of Witches Deborah Harkness, #21- Postmortem Patricia Cornwell, #22- The Darkest Minds Alexandra Bracken, #23- The Heist Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg, #24- The Town Bentley Little, #25- The Chase Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg, #26- Relic Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child
Soldier's*Sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: