Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 01:38 PM   #421
willowsnn3
Tagless but proud

Goal 72

#5 This Is How You Lose Her by Junot Diaz

From the book jacket:
In prose that is endlessly energetic, inventive, tender, and funny, the stories in This Is How You Lose Her lay bare the infinite longing and inevitable weakness of the human heart They remind us that passion always triumphs over expericnce, and that the half life of love is forever.

I don't know how this book became #1 on BookPage Editors choices for 2012 It wasn't even on thier readers top 25 list, lol.
The story seemed to not make a bit of sense to me and skipped around a lot. I would not recommend it & I am mad at myself for reading the entire thing. Thank goodness it was only a couple hundred pages, lol.

Book Challenge Goal 31/72
willowsnn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:51 PM   #422
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowsnn3 View Post
Goal 72

From the book jacket:
In prose that is endlessly energetic, inventive, tender, and funny, the stories in This Is How You Lose Her lay bare the infinite longing and inevitable weakness of the human heart They remind us that passion always triumphs over expericnce, and that the half life of love is forever.

I don't know how this book became #1 on BookPage Editors choices for 2012 It wasn't even on thier readers top 25 list, lol.
The story seemed to not make a bit of sense to me and skipped around a lot. I would not recommend it & I am mad at myself for reading the entire thing. Thank goodness it was only a couple hundred pages, lol.

Thanks for your review. This book is on Barnes and Nobles list for the best 25 books of 2012. I've tried to find it at my library for Kindle and have been looking to reserve it in some way--maybe I'll just forget about it.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-16-2013, 10:15 PM   #423
pansmermaidzlagoon
Mickey asks that you not advise screwing things into his head

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeboysmom View Post
Thank you for letting me know!

I am sorry to all those that I've missed. I'm trying, lol!

Any others I've missed?
Thank you for adding me!
'11 WONDER Alaska Cruise: '13 WILDERNESS LODGE
pansmermaidzlagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:56 AM   #424
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Finished #2 - The Dog Stars by Peter Heller

This book is on a few of the "Best of 2012" lists that come out at the end of the year. I'm working my way through some of those. There was no wait for the e-reader copy at my library so I snagged it.

I'm not sure how I feel about this book. My mother loved it although she did say it was a hard start.

It is of the "postapocolyptic" genre of books that is so popular now. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood for the "gloom and depression" that is the hallmark of those books.

The main character was a very likable guy who had lost his wife and unborn child to the disease that had wiped out most of the population. He was left with his dog, Jasper, who was quite a lovable character. The writing style was sort of "stream of consciousness" which I often have a hard time with. The basic, underlying story was pretty good and I wanted to see how it ended but I admit that I started speedreading through a lot of his mind-wandering thoughts. Otherwise, I think I'd give it 3 out of 5 stars.

I've signed up for 24 books and I have NOTHING set up for #3 so I better get busy!

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:09 AM   #425
Swimnoid
DIS Veteran

Goal 75

#6 The Surgeon by Tess Gerritsen

This is the first book of the Rizzoli /Isles series....except Isles isnt in it yet. I have read several of these but missed this one somehow. This book introduces Rizzolli and as described is NOT Angie Harmon! Very good read though.
Swimnoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:24 AM   #426
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvjules View Post
Finished book #4 last night. Rush Home Road. LOVED IT! I kinda figured how it would end but that didn't take away from it at all. I wish there was an epilogue that summed up the one character's future. What a great book. I think it goes up there as one of my favorites of all time (along with The Book Thief).

Next up: Hopeless by Colleen Hoover
Thanks for the review! This book has been on my list for almost a year!! I have to make time for it this winter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEASONK View Post
Goal 75

I am now reading Defending Jacob on my kindle, and the 2nd book of the Linda Lael Miller Creeds of Montana series in paperback.

Hope to finish both this weekend.
I know you haven't finished it yet, but are you enjoying it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsDuck View Post
Can I join?

50 books is my goal! Currently on book #1- Game of Thrones series. AND, I'd like to create/update a book blog where I log my reviews.
YUP! So glad to have you!

I need to get through that series! I got halfway through the first book and became so confused with all the characters that I gave up. I need to print out a character list next time I read that book. I tend to not do well with books that jump from different character/storylines with each chapter. By the time they get back to that particular character 5-6 chapters down the road, I've forgotten all about them, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowsnn3 View Post
Goal 72

From the book jacket:

I've been going back & forth on this book. I keep hearing good reviews so I'll add it to my list, then I re-read the summary of the book and think, this is not really my cup of tea so I take it back off the list, lol.

I appreciate your honest review.

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years

Currently reading: #13 A Mother's Hope by Francine Rivers

Last edited by threeboysmom; 01-17-2013 at 08:31 AM.
threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:12 PM   #427
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

Finished #3

The Crown of Valencia by Catherine Friend

Ex-lovers can really mess up your life.

Kate Vincent's ex, Anna, certainly does. Not only does Anna interfere in Kate's love life, but she totally screws up the world by traveling back in time to 11th century Spain and changing one crucial event. As any sane person knows, you cannot alter an event in history without altering everything that follows—but Anna has an agenda, and a score to settle.

When Kate follows Anna back to the 11th century to clean up Anna's mess before she and those she loves cease to exist, she finds herself fighting not only Anna and her hired thugs, but also another woman—the woman Kate has never stopped loving.

Romance, betrayal, and intrigue pack this tense conclusion to the epic adventure begun in The Spanish Pearl.

I really enjoyed this book as well as the first (although I liked the first better). I enjoy historical fiction and the storyline was touching.

Next up: The Paris Wife by Paula McLain This one has been on my to read list since last January I think, so it's time!

momto3gr8boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:45 PM   #428
nemofans
DIS Veteran

Finished book #1 Under The Dome by Stephen King

Finally got through all 1072 pages!!! Very interesting book & kept me wanting to read more. I think I read over 300 pages in one day & that's not even half the book! The ending was a little bit of a letdown though.

On an entirely normal, beautiful fall day, a small town is suddenly and inexplicably sealed off from the rest of the world by an invisible force field. Planes crash into it and rain down flaming wreckage. A gardener’s hand is severed as the dome descends. Cars explode on impact. Families are separated and panic mounts. No one can fathom what the barrier is, where it came from, and when—or if—it will go away. Now a few intrepid citizens, led by an Iraq vet turned short-order cook, face down a ruthless politician dead set on seizing the reins of power under the dome. But their main adversary is the dome itself. Because time isn’t just running short. It’s running out.

My next book will be Home Front by Kristin Hannah. This is the Feb book for my book club that I am hosting.

I've been BOO'd!!

8/2000 Grosvenor Resort (got engaged!), 11/2005 DL PPH CL, 12/2006 Poly, 02/2008 AKL, 2/2010 CR CL, 2/2011 DCL Magic, 11/2011 DL GCH, 10/2012 AKL CL

2013 Book Challenge: 87 out of 75 GOAL MET!!
2014 Book Challenge: 30 out of 85
nemofans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:16 PM   #429
paulasillars
Body in New Zealand, mind in Walt Disney World
Winner of the ABD Potty Olympics

Update

I have finished the 6 Mercy Thompson books I have by Patricia Briggs - I think she's done her dash on those but I understand there is a 7th book. I thought they were ok - easy reading but I wouldn't recommend anyone going out of their way to read them.

The Werewolves were a bunch of male chauvenists in this series and drove me nuts. I must prefer the Sookie Stackhouse books where at least the various supes treat her as an equal for the most part.

I think next up might be Life of Pi - haven't fully decided that yet.

Its rated 4.2/5 on Amazon but not sure its really my cup of tea?

"The son of a zookeeper, Pi Patel has an encyclopedic knowledge of animal behavior and a fervent love of stories. When Pi is sixteen, his family emigrates from India to North America aboard a Japanese cargo ship, along with their zoo animals bound for new homes.

The ship sinks. Pi finds himself alone in a lifeboat, his only companions a hyena, an orangutan, a wounded zebra, and Richard Parker, a 450-pound Bengal tiger. Soon the tiger has dispatched all but Pi, whose fear, knowledge, and cunning allow him to coexist with Richard Parker for 227 days while lost at sea. When they finally reach the coast of Mexico, Richard Parker flees to the jungle, never to be seen again. The Japanese authorities who interrogate Pi refuse to believe his story and press him to tell them "the truth." After hours of coercion, Pi tells a second story, a story much less fantastical, much more conventional--but is it more true?"

paulasillars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:32 PM   #430
DisneyWalle
DIS Veteran

#2 Completed: The Devil in the White City
Goal: 28 of 30 remaining

Its a true story about the World's Fair in 1893 and a serial killer who used the fair to lure women to his hotel. I found the book to be very good -- it moved fast and was very interesting.

Next book: Shroud for a Nightingale by P.D. James
2014 Disboard Book Challenge: 31 of 40 completed
DisneyWalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:39 PM   #431
RunningGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemofans View Post

Finally got through all 1072 pages!!! Very interesting book & kept me wanting to read more. I think I read over 300 pages in one day & that's not even half the book! The ending was a little bit of a letdown though.

On an entirely normal, beautiful fall day, a small town is suddenly and inexplicably sealed off from the rest of the world by an invisible force field. Planes crash into it and rain down flaming wreckage. A gardener’s hand is severed as the dome descends. Cars explode on impact. Families are separated and panic mounts. No one can fathom what the barrier is, where it came from, and when—or if—it will go away. Now a few intrepid citizens, led by an Iraq vet turned short-order cook, face down a ruthless politician dead set on seizing the reins of power under the dome. But their main adversary is the dome itself. Because time isn’t just running short. It’s running out.

My next book will be Home Front by Kristin Hannah. This is the Feb book for my book club that I am hosting.
I read in the paper that they're making this book into a 13 episode tv series!
RunningGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:21 PM   #432
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulasillars
I have finished the 6 Mercy Thompson books I have by Patricia Briggs - I think she's done her dash on those but I understand there is a 7th book. I thought they were ok - easy reading but I wouldn't recommend anyone going out of their way to read them.

The Werewolves were a bunch of male chauvenists in this series and drove me nuts. I must prefer the Sookie Stackhouse books where at least the various supes treat her as an equal for the most part.

I think next up might be Life of Pi - haven't fully decided that yet.

Its rated 4.2/5 on Amazon but not sure its really my cup of tea?

"The son of a zookeeper, Pi Patel has an encyclopedic knowledge of animal behavior and a fervent love of stories. When Pi is sixteen, his family emigrates from India to North America aboard a Japanese cargo ship, along with their zoo animals bound for new homes.

The ship sinks. Pi finds himself alone in a lifeboat, his only companions a hyena, an orangutan, a wounded zebra, and Richard Parker, a 450-pound Bengal tiger. Soon the tiger has dispatched all but Pi, whose fear, knowledge, and cunning allow him to coexist with Richard Parker for 227 days while lost at sea. When they finally reach the coast of Mexico, Richard Parker flees to the jungle, never to be seen again. The Japanese authorities who interrogate Pi refuse to believe his story and press him to tell them "the truth." After hours of coercion, Pi tells a second story, a story much less fantastical, much more conventional--but is it more true?"
Life of Pi was fantastic. I didn't read any reviews before reading it and never saw the end coming. Great thought provoking story.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

momto3gr8boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:49 PM   #433
kimblebee
now my thoughts will be worth 5 cents

Goal 50

#4 Defending Jacob

Hmmm, what to say about this book? Personally I didn't think it was a page turner until the final 100 pages or so. To me, a few things were just too convenient and not really believable. I don't want to say too much and I HATE when people do this but O.M.G the ending. Totally left me wanting more. Good read so I'll give it a 3.75/5 (is that even allowed LOL)

Next up is Life of Pi
Old 01-18-2013, 02:26 AM   #434
zippitydoo
DIS Veteran

you forgot about me

goal is 30

book #3 The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

2014 Book Challenge
Completed 23 of 50:
A Shade of Blood, A Castle of Sand, Takedown Twenty, Louisiana Longshot, Dirty Little Secrets, The One You Love, The One You Fear, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, A Shadow of Light, Hollow City, Room, The Barkeep, A Blaze of Sun, I Think I Love You, Broken, Body Movers, A Gate of Night
zippitydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:59 AM   #435
kinntj
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemofans View Post

Thank you for that review! I'm on page 91 in Under the Dome. My Spanish class has taken over most of my free time, but I hope to catch up this weekend.

Currently reading: Unbroken
2014 Book challenge: 12
Insurgent, Allegiant
kinntj is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: