Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 03:56 PM   #406
Glynis
Taking applications for a WDW tour guide!

Goal - 50 books

Book #7 -"Ruby Red" by Kerstin Gier

From the book flap: Sixteen year old Gwen lives with her extended - and rather eccentric - family in an exclusive London neighborhood. In spite of her ancestors' peculiar history, she's had a relatively normal life so far. The time-traveling gene that runs like a secret thread through the female half of the family is supposed to have skipped over Gwen, so she hasn't been introduced to "the mysteries," and can spend her time hanging out with her best friend. It comes as an unwelcome surprise then when she starts taking sudden, uncontrolled leaps into the past.

My review - I really enjoyed this YA book. Characters were really well written, and the situations are a lot of fun. I like the plot, and can't wait to get the next in the trilogy.

Next up - "The Meryl Streep Movie Club" by Mia March, and I'm still working on "Team of Rivals"

2014 Reading Challenge Goal: 70 books

The Art of Racing in the Rain ~ The House of Hades ~ How To Be Like Walt ~ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows ~ The Seven Mouths of God ~ Behind the Beautiful Forevers ~ The Mysterious Affair at Styles ~ The Big 5-Oh ~ A Year in the Life of William Shakespeare ~ Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children ~ Wait Till Next Year ~ While We Were Watching Downton Abbey ~ Great Expectations ~ The Maze Runner ~ The Fault In Our Stars ~ The Juliet Club ~ The Girls' Guide to Love and Supper Clubs ~ The Power of One ~ The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat ~ Hollow City ~ The Fountainhead ~ Cat's Cradle ~ Speaking From Among The Bones ~ Death Comes to Pemberley ~ Quilt or Innocence ~ The Chocolate Thief ~ On Strike for Christmas ~ Bikini Season ~ Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker ~ Miss Dreamsville and the Collier County Women's Literary Society ~ Cinnamon Roll Murder ~ Red Velvet Cupcake Murder ~ Blackberry Pie Murder ~ Home To Holly Springs ~ In The Company of Others ~ The Devil in the White City ~ Gathering Blue ~ Messenger ~ The Bell Jar ~ The Boys in the Boat ~ The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches ~ Son ~ Beach Colors ~ Welcome to Last Chance ~ Last Chance Beauty Queen ~ Last Chance Knit and Stitch
Glynis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:09 PM   #407
CourtasanSatine
I'm partial to the 4th seaters
Has a crush on James Marsden
I'm a Trendy in a Preppy family

Any suggestions for mystery along the lines of Sherlock Holmes?

Come and get me boys: Satine

"For Justice!" "For Kibbles!"

"Or maybe its the plumbing!"

CourtasanSatine is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-15-2013, 05:19 PM   #408
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimblebee

The author is Kelle Hampton
Thank you!

momto3gr8boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:17 PM   #409
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtasanSatine View Post
Any suggestions for mystery along the lines of Sherlock Holmes?
Not sure what you mean by "along the lines of Sherlock Holmes..." but the following authors are all British, all their sleuths are amateurs (as opposed to professional police investigators), and they all take place in the 1860-1930 time frame.

Charles Finch - investigator Charles Lenox, who has a Dr. Watson-like sidekick.

Susan Elia Macneil - investigator Maggie Hope, works undercover in the British government during wartime.

Tasha Alexander - investigator Lady Emily Hargreaves, rich noblewoman who "assists" her government agent spouse.

Dorothy L. Sayers - investigator Lord Peter Wimsey

Emily Brightwell - investigator Mrs. Jeffries, who leads the household staff of a police inspector in helping him to solve his cases.

Jacqueline Winspear - inspector Maisie Dobbs, a psychologist who started out as a downstairs maid.

The Emily Brightwell series is kind of "fluff," but the stories are entertaining. All the others are pretty serious mysteries with engaging characters and interesting plots.

I could do more research, but I've read all these authors recently, so they came easily to mind. Hope this helps.

Queen Colleen
PigletsPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:24 PM   #410
StephMK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom View Post
Right now I'm reading "Shopaholic and Sister". I love, love, love Sophie Kinsella books. Does anyone know the other name she's written under (I think the first name begins with M)? Also, anyone know of other authors like her (think "I Love Lucy" style)?
I just read the series of Annie Valentine books by Carmen Reid. Kind of in the same realm of Kinsella. A.V. starts out as a personal shopper in a large London dept store. The series goes through her life choices, both her career and romance, with family and mishaps thrown in. Cute books.

I just finished #3 of my goal of 20.

The Maze Runner by James Dashner - YA #1 in series - I loved it! I think I got it as a sale book on Amazon ebooks one day, thinking my DS would enjoy it. It held my attention all through a flight and I am waiting for the library to have #2 available so I can keep reading.

It's hard to explain but it's about a boy who arrives at a compound of boys without knowing his past. None of them know why or how they ended up there. They have a whole community inside the compound and spend days running the maze outside their walls, trying to find an escape.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:49 PM   #411
penguin1102
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier's*Sweeties View Post
I really like Mary Kay Andrews. Her books are good, funny chick lit with a southern spin.

Hissy Fit, Savannah Blues and Savannah Breeze are my favorites. I actually LOL'd at the beginning of Hissy Fit and I was hooked.

I loved Hissy Fit. It made me lol as I was reading it too.
penguin1102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:44 PM   #412
funkychunkymonkey
DIS Veteran

Short stories (counting them as one book)
My move from heck
Sorta dull, about a ladys bad move

Stories from the phyc ward:
Inserting view into the use of shock therapy

Undercover:
Very instresting story about a drug bust

A broken system: examining the Clark county DFS
I found this inserting, even went online to find out more. Its about a poor parents stuggle to keep her children

101 tips for travling with a vampie:
Was funny, made me laugh

Never sit in a exit row:
A tale of a vacation gone bad

Book 2:
This little piggy went to the liquor store
A tale of an acholic mom raising her children (and its actually humerous)

I have to stop reading funny books! I woke the baby twice today, and she was a real pain to get back down.... Reading a book about a guy who hates his dog..
RIP:
guiedo (guiena pig) bluebeard
funkychunkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:18 AM   #413
CourtasanSatine
I'm partial to the 4th seaters
Has a crush on James Marsden
I'm a Trendy in a Preppy family

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigletsPal2 View Post
Not sure what you mean by "along the lines of Sherlock Holmes..." but the following authors are all British, all their sleuths are amateurs (as opposed to professional police investigators), and they all take place in the 1860-1930 time frame.

Charles Finch - investigator Charles Lenox, who has a Dr. Watson-like sidekick.

Susan Elia Macneil - investigator Maggie Hope, works undercover in the British government during wartime.

Tasha Alexander - investigator Lady Emily Hargreaves, rich noblewoman who "assists" her government agent spouse.

Dorothy L. Sayers - investigator Lord Peter Wimsey

Emily Brightwell - investigator Mrs. Jeffries, who leads the household staff of a police inspector in helping him to solve his cases.

Jacqueline Winspear - inspector Maisie Dobbs, a psychologist who started out as a downstairs maid.

The Emily Brightwell series is kind of "fluff," but the stories are entertaining. All the others are pretty serious mysteries with engaging characters and interesting plots.

I could do more research, but I've read all these authors recently, so they came easily to mind. Hope this helps.

Queen Colleen
It does and thanks! To explain I'm working my way through the Sherlock Holmes stories since I'm into the BBC series, Elementary and the RDJ films.

Come and get me boys: Satine

"For Justice!" "For Kibbles!"

"Or maybe its the plumbing!"

CourtasanSatine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:22 AM   #414
wvjules
DIS Veteran

Finished book #4 last night. Rush Home Road. LOVED IT! I kinda figured how it would end but that didn't take away from it at all. I wish there was an epilogue that summed up the one character's future. What a great book. I think it goes up there as one of my favorites of all time (along with The Book Thief).

Next up: Hopeless by Colleen Hoover

Last edited by wvjules; 01-16-2013 at 08:49 AM.
wvjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:44 AM   #415
SEASONK
Mouseketeer

Goal 75

#4 ~ Scandal in the Spring by Lisa Kleypas

After spending three London seasons searching for a husband, Daisy Bowman's father has told her in no uncertain terms that she must find a husband. Now. And if Daisy can't snare an appropriate suitor, she will marry the man he chooses—the ruthless and aloof Matthew Swift.
Daisy is horrified. A Bowman never admits defeat, and she decides to do whatever it takes to marry someone . . . anyone . . . other than Matthew. But she doesn't count on Matthew's unexpected charm . . . or the blazing sensuality that soon flares beyond both their control. And Daisy discovers that the man she has always hated just might turn out to be the man of her dreams.
But right at the moment of sweet surrender, a scandalous secret is uncovered . . . one that could destroy both Matthew and a love more passionate and irresistible than Daisy's wildest fantasies.

I enjoyed this book. Another good historical romance from Lisa Kleypas. I give it 4/5.

I am now reading Defending Jacob on my kindle, and the 2nd book of the Linda Lael Miller Creeds of Montana series in paperback.

Hope to finish both this weekend.
WL ~ Dec 2010
CBR ~ Oct 2012
SEASONK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:06 AM   #416
willowsnn3
Tagless not by choice but by circumstance

Goal 72

#4 Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry
This is book 2 of the Giver Quartet
YA book but very good!

Book Challenge Goal 62/72

willowsnn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:17 AM   #417
Debbie19
Mouseketeer

Goal 30

Book #2

Where We Belong by Emily Griiffin

This is the story about two women. A women who gave birth at 18 and only told her mother and the daughter she gave birth to who is now 18. I really enjoyed this book but a disclaimer for me is that the daughter's life details centered around her high school, neighborhood and such and it is where I grew up and went to high school. I do recommend it though because I thought the story was great.

Now reading Eight Cousins by Louisa May Alcott
Old 01-16-2013, 11:36 AM   #418
MrsDuck
DIS Veteran

Can I join?

50 books is my goal! Currently on book #1- Game of Thrones series. AND, I'd like to create/update a book blog where I log my reviews.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:08 PM   #419
kimblebee
now my thoughts will be worth 5 cents

Goal 50

#3 Imperfect Justice: Prosecuting Casey Anthony

Wow. Just wow. I followed the case as best as I could and like everyone, was stunned by the verdict. The book makes me even more so. The jury screwed up. Jeff Ashton is a good writer and he gives good descriptions of the case, the evidence and his witnesses. A good read if you want more details.

4/5

Next up: Defending Jacob
Old 01-16-2013, 01:12 PM   #420
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsDuck View Post
Can I join?

50 books is my goal! Currently on book #1- Game of Thrones series. AND, I'd like to create/update a book blog where I log my reviews.
This series is on my (very long) to read list! Are you looking for a blog so you can share or just a way to keep track of what you read/review? If the latter, check out goodreads.com. It's a great way to keep track of what you have read and what you want to read, along with your reviews.

momto3gr8boys is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: