Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 04:46 PM   #211
funkychunkymonkey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebtbmom View Post
#1 The Killing Kind by John Connelly

I rate it 2.5 and if I hadn't wanted to post a completion here I probably would have given up.

A former cop, now PI gets hired to investigate a questionable suicide. It involves a shady religious cult. The premise was interesting but I don't like authors who elaborate excessively on location. Such as, I drove down Main St and took a left on Walnut, there was construction on Beech so I cut through to Cherry ST. Ok, so you're familiar with the town, who cares?
sounds like my kinda book! I love authors who give too much detail! makes me feel a deeper connection to the book and the story!!!
RIP:
guiedo (guiena pig) bluebeard
funkychunkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:55 PM   #212
Pixiedust34
It's like I'm stuck in a music time warp
Hasn't touched an iron in over 10 yrs!
I love Target! Where else can you buy candy corn 90% off?!
My tags are getting dusty!

Goal = 30

#1 = The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne

I normally wouldn't list a YA book, but this one has been the topic of a lot of discussions and has been used in schools. I saw the movie before I read the book, and both the movie and the book are disturbing. I think that in this case the movie is much better than the book, and I don't say that often.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-05-2013, 05:11 PM   #213
diznee25
DIS Veteran

Goal: 24 books

What better time to finish a book when you've got the flu! DH and I got hit with the bug last night. He's watching a movie and I'm reading. Danielle Steel novels are a guilty pleasure of mine. If there's no other books out there that grab my attention, I usually just grab a book of hers.

#1. Now and Forever by Danielle Steel - Romance

Overview: Ian Clarke is a struggling writer, and his wife of 7 years, Jessica Clarke financially supports him. He has a causal indiscretion that threatens everything he and Jessica have built.

Review: I've been a fan of Danielle Steel's novels since I was a teenager, although this is my least favorite of her books. The story is engaging at first, but then it goes a little stale.....and then picks up during the last part of the book. There were a few parts with ancillary characters that didn't make sense to me. And I thought the main story would go in a different direction than what it did.

If I really like a book, I'll read it over and over again. This is not one of those books. ------ 2.5 out of 5 stars

Onto book #2.....not sure what yet!

diznee25
Old 01-05-2013, 05:44 PM   #214
funkychunkymonkey
DIS Veteran

Goal:25
To go: 23

book: Trauma Junkie by Tom Hobbs
Summery: A burned out medic gets divorced from his wife and tries to end his life. the book fallows the trials of his next few months. Theres lots of drama!

I was shocked this book was so short (63 pages). I thought it was not only a good book but also pretty accurate with its facts. I would say at least a 4.5 outa 5. The two main charchters are devoloped well, and the story makes you wanna read on.

Off to read: Trauma Junkie Hypodermic Needle!
RIP:
Old 01-05-2013, 06:18 PM   #215
disneyfanforever
DIS Veteran

Goal 25

#2. Loyalty in Death by JD Robb/Nora Roberts

Rating 4 stars

This is the 9th book in the In Death series, and I really enjoyed it. This series follows cop Eve Dallas and her cases in a future New York City. She is married to a super hot entrepreneur named Roarke, and he helps her on her cases. This particular book had an interesting plot involving a terrorist group named Cassandra that was blowing up and threatening to blow up New York City landmarks, and Eve and her team racing against the clock to stop them. It had some very tense moments with a very exciting conclusion

Next up: I just went and bought 11/22/63 by Stephen King. Wow! That is a big book. I will probably be reading it for quite some time.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:21 PM   #216
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfanforever View Post
Next up: I just went and bought 11/22/63 by Stephen King. Wow! That is a big book. I will probably be reading it for quite some time.
I just purchased this for my Kindle for $3.99. Started it a few days ago. The thing with the Kindle is that you can't see how big the book is you are reading--so I have no idea!

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:23 PM   #217
penguin1102
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by erincon23 View Post
Excellent book! Did you read the prequel/sequel "The Twelve" that just came out? That was a little hard to get into, since I read The Passage two years ago, but worth it.

I agree. Sometimes I like Jodi Picoult, sometimes I don't.

I'm in -- likely around 100. I can't wait to get Cold Days by Jim Butcher (on the hold list at the library, have like 10 books on the list). Don't remember what else is coming out.

So far this year:
a three-in-one by Nora Roberts
Northern Lights, Nora Roberts
How did you like Northern Lights? I read it last year and loved it. I watched the lifetime movie that they made based on the book and was not very happy with how it turned out.
penguin1102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:32 PM   #218
erincon23
Everyone must have gotten a life in the last few days
As you can see, I have gotten sidetracked

Quote:
Originally Posted by K and K's Mommy View Post
I am now reading "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" which I am sure I got from a thread on the Dis.

My favorite book of 2012 was "Cutting for Stone." I read it last Spring Break, and it is a more involved, takes some time type of book, but I loved it.
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn -- I think I have to go back and reread this. I have an EARLY, old edition of this book -- my grandmother had bought it a long time ago and I found it in an old box in her basement, probably when I was a teenager. So good!

me DH DS16 DS20 On our last family trip, 3/09
erincon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:40 PM   #219
willowsnn3
Tagless not by choice but by circumstance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixiedust34 View Post
Goal = 30

#1 = The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne

I normally wouldn't list a YA book, but this one has been the topic of a lot of discussions and has been used in schools. I saw the movie before I read the book, and both the movie and the book are disturbing. I think that in this case the movie is much better than the book, and I don't say that often.
I read a lot of YA books!!
I don't think I could read The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. The movie was very disturbing to me.

Book Challenge Goal 73/72

willowsnn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:04 PM   #220
RunningGirl
DIS Veteran

Okay, if I continue to have free time on the weekends, I may have to up my goal from 40.

Just finished book #3 - "Replay" by Ken Grimwood. Excellent book. Here's the description:

Jeff Winston, forty-three, didn't know he was a replayer until he died and woke up twenty-five years younger in his college dorm room; he lived another life. And died again. And lived again and died again -- in a continuous twenty-five-year cycle -- each time starting from scratch at the age of eighteen to reclaim lost loves, remedy past mistakes, or make a fortune in the stock market. A novel of gripping adventure, romance, and fascinating speculation on the nature of time, Replay asks the question: "What if you could live your life over again?"

If you enjoyed 11/22/63, I'd highly recommend this one.
RunningGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:23 PM   #221
Swimnoid
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningGirl View Post
Okay, if I continue to have free time on the weekends, I may have to up my goal from 40.

Just finished book #3 - "Replay" by Ken Grimwood. Excellent book. Here's the description:

Jeff Winston, forty-three, didn't know he was a replayer until he died and woke up twenty-five years younger in his college dorm room; he lived another life. And died again. And lived again and died again -- in a continuous twenty-five-year cycle -- each time starting from scratch at the age of eighteen to reclaim lost loves, remedy past mistakes, or make a fortune in the stock market. A novel of gripping adventure, romance, and fascinating speculation on the nature of time, Replay asks the question: "What if you could live your life over again?"

If you enjoyed 11/22/63, I'd highly recommend this one.
That sounds good! Add another to my wish list!
Swimnoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:36 PM   #222
KatheeME
DIS Veteran

I LOVE reading, and do a lot of it when the weather keeps me from riding my motorcyle, which living in Maine is 4-5 months out of the year. I guess that's an awkward way of saying that I have found riding to be another of my passions. So I am going to challenge myself to reading 26 books this year. I am on number 3 now, I am reading The Host, by Stephanie Meyers. I have to keep reading this thread to see how it's organized.

Thanks, this is going to be fun!
Old 01-05-2013, 08:39 PM   #223
KatheeME
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeboysmom View Post
I'll start...

I plan on reading 30 books in 2013 (I usually read on average 2 per month so this will stretch me somewhat).

I have 54 currently on my "to-read" list though. Grrrrr... Just not enough time!!

The book I am most excited about reading in 2013 is Rush Home Road.... oh and Defending Jacob. Two books that have had consistently good reviews and that have been on my list for quite some time now.

I'm also looking forward to finishing the Harry Potter series once and for all!!!
I HIGHLY recommend Defending Jacob, it's excellent!
Old 01-05-2013, 08:52 PM   #224
CourtasanSatine
I'm partial to the 4th seaters
Has a crush on James Marsden
I'm a Trendy in a Preppy family

I may upping my goal as well, blame reading a ton of paperbacks along with the larger books.

Come and get me boys: Satine

"For Justice!" "For Kibbles!"

"Or maybe its the plumbing!"

CourtasanSatine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:52 PM   #225
funkychunkymonkey
DIS Veteran

This trauma junkie series is evil!! I read the second one tonnight insted of going to bed. Gonna be a tried nanny tommrow

book: Trauma Junkie: hyodermic nightmare by Tom Hobbs
Summery: ICharters return from the previous book. This book deals with Brian getting poked with a dirty needle and his travels through the span of time before he can be tested for HIV.

WOW! You would think it would be a sad book but I laughed my butt off! I just love how mel is so cocky and sassy! This book had more of the daughter mentioned which was nice.

Off to read: Trauma Junkie the blackout blues! then I gatta wait till febuary for book 4!
RIP:

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: