Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2013, 09:42 AM   #2131
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it

43/50: The Program by Suzanne Young

In Sloane’s world, true feelings are forbidden, teen suicide is an epidemic, and the only solution is The Program.
Sloane knows better than to cry in front of anyone. With suicide now an international epidemic, one outburst could land her in The Program, the only proven course of treatment. Sloane’s parents have already lost one child; Sloane knows they’ll do anything to keep her alive. She also knows that everyone who’s been through The Program returns as a blank slate. Because their depression is gone—but so are their memories.

Under constant surveillance at home and at school, Sloane puts on a brave face and keeps her feelings buried as deep as she can. The only person Sloane can be herself with is James. He’s promised to keep them both safe and out of treatment, and Sloane knows their love is strong enough to withstand anything. But despite the promises they made to each other, it’s getting harder to hide the truth. They are both growing weaker. Depression is setting in. And The Program is coming for them.

I liked this book a lot, but I almost wish it wasn't going the series route. I felt like it could have ended after Book 1 and I would have been satisfied!
Ginny Favers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:34 AM   #2132
keenercam
Wishes she were Mickey's girl
Would settle for looking like Tinkerbell instead of Winnie the Pooh

I've read a LOT of free Kindle books over the past several weeks. Many of them have a lot of racy parts, so you should probably read some reviews before taking on some of these:

92/150 - Danger in the Shadows by Dee Henderson

93/150 - Fallen Seal Legacy by Sharon Hamilton

94/150 - Off Course by Sawyer Bennett

95/150 - Beginnings and Ends by Suzanne Brockmann - this is a novella, and was wonderful, if you are familiar with Ms. Brockmann's FBI suspense series

96/150 - Countdown (Eve Duncan) by Iris Johansen - I really liked the Eve Duncan series at the beginning and middle. I felt like I muddled my way through this out of loyalty to the series.

97/150 - Backspin (Myron Bolitar) by Harlan Coben

98/150 - Death Echo (St. Kilda) by Elizabeth Lowell

99/150 - Worth the Effort by Mara Jacobs - This is the 4th book in the "Worth" series and it was just as good as the first 3. Interesting information about SAD (Seasonal Adjustment Disorder).

100/150 - Resisting the Bad Boy by Violet Duke

101/150 - Attracted to Fire by DiAnn Mills

102/150 - The Lies That Save Us by JL Redington. The writing style on this was so awkward. I found that I was skimming it, to get to the conclusion, but didn't really enjoy it.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-19-2013, 03:17 PM   #2133
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Finished #35 out of 50

The Lifeboat by Charlotte Rogan

Bleh. Story about 39 people that were fortunate enough to make it into a lifeboat after their luxury liner sank. The book starts out with the main character, a 22 year old girl named Grace, standing trial for murder. Story then travels back in time as she recounts the days spent on the lifeboat and the ensuing power struggles amongst her companions and what ultimately led up to her being on trial after being rescued.

It was enjoyable while reading, but only because I kept waiting for the storyline to take a twist, for Grace to be someone other than how she was portrayed, for... SOMETHING to happen that was unexpected! But that "something" just never came about, and I was disappointed in the book when finished.

I rated the book 2 stars out of 5 on Goodreads.

Next up: Don't Stop the Carnival by Herman Wouk

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 A Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife,#16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know

Currently reading: #24 A Daughter's Dream

Last edited by threeboysmom; 08-19-2013 at 03:25 PM.
threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:46 PM   #2134
KrazyPete
skeleton

Goal - 24 books

Book #19 The Shack by Wm. Paul Young - This is not a bad book. I found the set up to the tragic event in the first few chapters to be the most interesting part. From there, God intervenes to set the main character's life right. It would be nice if God worked that way, if He would take us away to a cabin in a Thomas Kinkade painting and explain all the great mysteries of life to us over the course of a weekend. The remaining chapters take us through short sermons where the author gives us the benefit of his observations on God but he puts them in God's own mouth. Personally, I think he took this a little far. For the most part, you would be a better person if you tried to apply these lessons. Take it as a work of fiction and not as a prophetic Word from God and you may glean something encouraging but it's not the life changing revelation that the book's marketing promises.

Next up - Women by Charles Bukowski - I know, I know! I'm inviting literary whiplash with this transition.

Last edited by KrazyPete; 08-19-2013 at 06:55 PM.
KrazyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:14 PM   #2135
willowsnn3
Tagless not by choice but by circumstance

Goal 72

#58 Joyland by Stephen King

Was just ok. Good story but nothing like I expect from Mr. King, lol.

Book Challenge Goal 53/72

willowsnn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:16 PM   #2136
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowsnn3 View Post
Goal 72

#58 Joyland by Stephen King

Was just ok. Good story but nothing like I expect from Mr. King, lol.
Sure wasn't but it was part of his "crime" genre.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:08 AM   #2137
Glynis
Taking applications for a WDW tour guide!

Goal - 100 Books
Book #52 - "Shakespeare: The World as Stage" by Bill Bryson

I enjoyed this book. There was not much new information about the Bard, but it was presented very well, and in a very conversational manner! I teach Shakespeare to actors, and a lot of this information was very interesting to me.

Next up: "Prairie Tale" by Melissa Gilbert. I'm excited about this, as I am an avid Little House on the Prairie fan!

2014 Reading Challenge Goal: 70 books

The Art of Racing in the Rain ~ The House of Hades ~ How To Be Like Walt ~ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows ~ The Seven Mouths of God ~ Behind the Beautiful Forevers ~ The Mysterious Affair at Styles ~ The Big 5-Oh ~ A Year in the Life of William Shakespeare ~ Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children ~ Wait Till Next Year ~ While We Were Watching Downton Abbey ~ Great Expectations ~ The Maze Runner ~ The Fault In Our Stars ~ The Juliet Club ~ The Girls' Guide to Love and Supper Clubs ~ The Power of One ~ The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat ~ Hollow City ~ The Fountainhead ~ Cat's Cradle ~ Speaking From Among The Bones ~ Death Comes to Pemberley ~ Quilt or Innocence ~ The Chocolate Thief ~ On Strike for Christmas ~ Bikini Season ~ Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker ~ Miss Dreamsville and the Collier County Women's Literary Society ~ Cinnamon Roll Murder ~ Red Velvet Cupcake Murder ~ Blackberry Pie Murder ~ Home To Holly Springs ~ In The Company of Others
Glynis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:28 PM   #2138
zippitydoo
DIS Veteran

Book 30 of 45

Out of Darkness(Book 1 of Starborn Saga)

Death doesn't wait for our approval. Death takes us when it is ready. Nineteen-year-old Mora knows this all too well, living in a world where the dead have walked the Earth for the past 60 years.

Mora is on a mission to save her village from the relentless greyskins, and there is only one man that can help her: Jeremiah of Screven. As she travels the wastelands, she discovers a power within herself, a power she believes no other human possesses. That is, until she meets others like her – the ones who call themselves the Starborn.

These super-humans are on a mission also: to destroy the undead greyskins, and take down the greedy Jeremiah. Mora must now choose between the one who can keep her family safe, and those that can show her who she truly is.

2014 Book Challenge
Completed 39 of 50:
A Shade of Blood, A Castle of Sand, Takedown Twenty, Louisiana Longshot, Dirty Little Secrets, The One You Love, The One You Fear, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, A Shadow of Light, Hollow City, Room, The Barkeep, A Blaze of Sun, I Think I Love You, Broken, Body Movers, A Gate of Night, Trudge, Soldier On, In Harm’s Way, A Pound of Flesh, Taboo, Hide and Seek, Daddy’s Home, Weddings Can Be Murder, The Undead Heart, Moving Day, Monument 14, Sky on Fire, Savage Drift, NOS4A2, Her Last Breath, One Lavender Ribbon
zippitydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:38 PM   #2139
keenercam

103/150 - The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh. I really enjoyed this book. It was so original and beautifully written. My heart was breaking for the main character through many parts of it. Wonderful!
Old 08-22-2013, 01:21 PM   #2140
nemofans
DIS Veteran

Finished book #58: Beautiful Creatures by Margaret Stohl

I enjoyed this book (4/5 stars) about Casters (witches) going light or dark. I did like reading through this main character, who is male (Ethan), more than Bella from Twilight. I couldn't stand reading Bella's thoughts & wasn't a fan of the twilight books. This author did a better job keeping Ethan from not being annoying & still got the high school thing across.

Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she's struggling to conceal her power, and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever.
Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town's oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them.
In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything.

Next Book: NOS4A2

I've been BOO'd!!

8/2000 Grosvenor Resort (got engaged!), 11/2005 DL PPH CL, 12/2006 Poly, 02/2008 AKL, 2/2010 CR CL, 2/2011 DCL Magic, 11/2011 DL GCH, 10/2012 AKL CL

2013 Book Challenge: 87 out of 75 GOAL MET!!
2014 Book Challenge: 49 out of 85
nemofans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:32 PM   #2141
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenercam View Post
103/150 - The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh. I really enjoyed this book. It was so original and beautifully written. My heart was breaking for the main character through many parts of it. Wonderful!
Loved this one too!

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:35 PM   #2142
WowLookAtThat
DIS Veteran

Book #66 B****es of Brooklyn by Rosemary Harris

Review: Not going to lie I bought it because of the title. The book itself is tedious and the author keeps bringing up the food the women eat like she's George RR Martin. Anyways, four friends discover a note a fifth friend sent them stating she has run away with one of their men. Of course this drives the women crazy and leads them to figure out which man in their life has left with her.

The author found her inspiration from A Letter to Three Wives, a classic movie that I totally suggest but beyond that there is little redeeming in the book. Too many details and anecdotes that make little sense to the story. The story actually seems to wander off without little explanation and later the book becomes a mystery in the disappearance of their friend. In the end, everything is wrapped up like a neat package but at that point, I stopped caring. The ties to the friends' men (three are married and one is dating) and Abby (the friend who ran off the with the guy) aren't even there! The women just see it in their mind but don't try to think rationally. It was an ok book but I feel like I wasted my time.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:37 PM   #2143
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenercam View Post
Took a look at this one on Goodreads and added it to my list - thanks for the review!

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 A Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife,#16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know

Currently reading: #24 A Daughter's Dream

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:29 PM   #2144
keenercam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
Loved this one too!
I'm so glad to find that others enjoyed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeboysmom View Post
Took a look at this one on Goodreads and added it to my list - thanks for the review!
I think you'll really like it. Can't wait to hear!
Old 08-22-2013, 08:46 PM   #2145
KrazyPete
skeleton

Old Goal - 24 books
I've got 4 months left to read 4 more books. Let's reset that to two books every month for the remainder of the year. New goal 28 books.

Book #20 - Women by Charles Bukowski - Henry Chinaski is completely disconnected from emotion and surrounded by a cast of characters all of whom are varying degrees of crazy. It was a like watching a reality television show that was frequently interrupted by short bursts of graphic but apathetic sex. I kept waiting for the vulgarity to coalesce into something meaningful. It did get more human in the closing chapters of the book. However, it didn't redeem itself enough that I would consider recommending it to anyone. That said, it did have its introspective moments and I would read another book by Bukowski. I do like his sparse writing style. He says a lot without wasting words.

Next up - Alice in Zombieland by Nickolas Cook, Lewis Carroll - This was a Nook freebie a while back. The Goodreads reviews are lukewarm. As much as I like a good zombie story, I'm not expecting much from this one. I'm giving it a shot just to move an older title off my to-read list.
KrazyPete is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: