Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2013, 02:40 PM   #2116
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

For those of you that have read Dan Brown's Inferno, I have a question. Is it necessary to read his other books before reading this one?

Books Read in 2015: #1 The House We Grew Up In, #2 Voyager

Currently reading: #3 Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon, #4 To Kill a Mockingbird, and #5 The Power of Prayer

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:51 PM   #2117
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

#34 out of 50

The Dinner by Herman Koch

Two couples meet over dinner at a posh restaurant to discuss their sons and the "crime" that they had commited. I loved how this book was laid out in sections from aperitif, appetizer, main entrée, dessert, and finally digestif (what the heck is that?? lol). It took some time for the author to finally reveal what the "mystery" was surrounding the boys and who out of the 2 couples actually knew what was going on prior to the "dinner."

I liked the book because it was unusual, quirky, and dark. I don't necessarily enjoy happy endings all the time, and this book certainly fit the bill. And similar to Defending Jacob, it poses the question "how far will some parents really go to protect their kids?"

There was a lot of tension, a lot of conflict, a lot of emotions, a lot of VIOLENCE.... this was one DYSFUNCTIONAL family!! LOL! I don't even think I've digested all that there was in this book (pun intended!)

Would make for a GREAT book club read, lol.

Next up: The Lifeboat by Charlotte Rogan

Books Read in 2015: #1 The House We Grew Up In, #2 Voyager

Currently reading: #3 Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon, #4 To Kill a Mockingbird, and #5 The Power of Prayer

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-16-2013, 04:05 PM   #2118
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

[QUOTE=Swimnoid;49303296]
#72 In Plain Site by Lorena McCourtney
From Goodreads: Ever wonder how a little old lady with possum-gray hair could wind up on a homicidal hit list? Well, nothing is too outlandish for Ivy Malone. She's back and she's brought her mutant curiosity gene with her. And ever since the evil-intentioned Drake Braxton and his family threatened to make road kill out of Ivy, her life has been crazier than ever! With the ever-present threat of looming Braxtons, Ivy decides to get out of Dodge for a while. But for someone who slides down banisters and drives a T-Bird, hiding from the mob does not come easily. And when strange things start happening to her new neighbors, Ivy's snooping sense kicks into overdrive.

This is the second in this series. I enjoyed this very light murder mystery starring a grandma type person.

This was a good addition to the series. [QUOTE]

I'm happy to see that there's a new Ivy Malone book. I read the first one about two years ago and have been waiting not very patiently for the next one. It seemed so long between books that I was afraid there wasn't going to be a next one!

As you seem to like your sleuths a little more mature, you may want to try Ann Purser's Ivy Beasley series (what is it about the name Ivy for little old British ladies?). There are only four books in this series so far, but Purser has another series "starring" Lois Meade, which is very good also. Lois is younger and has a family; she runs a housecleaning business in small English village. Both series are on my "must-read" list.

Queen Colleen
PigletsPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:26 PM   #2119
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeboysmom View Post
For those of you that have read Dan Brown's Inferno, I have a question. Is it necessary to read his other books before reading this one?
Not necessarily. You may learn little things about him, personally(like about his watch and his style), but the stories are not connected at all.
#1-#3- The Wayward Pines Trilogy Blake Crouch, #4- The Magpies Mark Edwards, #5- Most Talkative: Stories from the Front Lines of Pop Culture Andy Cohen
Soldier's*Sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:32 PM   #2120
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

Goal: 25 Completed:17

Grave Surprise
Charlaine Harris

Quote:
"At the start of Harris's winning second supernatural caper to feature Harper Connelly (after 2005's Grave Sight), a skeptical anthropology professor, Clyde Nunley, tests Harper's gift of clairvoyance in a historic Memphis cemetery, where Harper correctly senses a fresh corpse in the wrong grave. Strangely, the body turns out to be a missing 12-year-old girl, Tabitha Morgenstern, whom Harper failed to locate in Nashville on a case two years earlier. The hotel suite of Harper and her manager and stepbrother, Tolliver Lang, both of whom fall under suspicion, becomes a magnet for a medley of amusing characters, including Memphis cops, Tabitha's assorted relatives and a drunken Clyde Nunley, who, shortly after accusing Harper of fraud, is found dead in the same grave as Tabitha. Peppered with the author's trademark deadpan wit, this book should help make Harper and Tolliver as popular as Sookie Stackhouse, the heroine of Harris's vampire mystery series."
It was okay. It kept me entertained, as did the first Harper Connelly book. I like the Sookie Stackhouse series better though. I enjoy the characters more.
#1-#3- The Wayward Pines Trilogy Blake Crouch, #4- The Magpies Mark Edwards, #5- Most Talkative: Stories from the Front Lines of Pop Culture Andy Cohen
Soldier's*Sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:51 PM   #2121
Glynis
Taking applications for a WDW tour guide!

Goal - 100 Books

Book #51 - "The End of Your Life Book Club" by Will Schwalbe

From Goodreads:
This is the inspiring true story of a son and his mother, who start a book club that brings them together as her life comes to a close. Over the next two years, Will and Mary Anne carry on conversations that are both wide-ranging and deeply personal, prompted by an eclectic array of books and a shared passion for reading. Their list jumps from classic to popular, from poetry to mysteries, from fantastic to spiritual. The issues they discuss include questions of faith and courage as well as everyday topics such as expressing gratitude and learning to listen. Throughout, they are constantly reminded of the power of books to comfort us, astonish us, teach us, and tell us what we need to do with our lives and in the world. Reading isnt the opposite of doing; its the opposite of dying.

I LOVED this book! It was so amazing! The thing that I found the most inspiring was what the author learned about his mother because of the books that she read. I hope that I can leave a similar legacy to my kids. I thought it would be a really sad book to read, and I did get teary at the end, but it was so much more inspiring than sad! I definitely recommend this book! I'm pretty sure I'll be buying a copy to underline and highlight!

Next up: "Shakespeare: The World as Stage" by Bill Bryson

On a positive note: I've finally passed the halfway mark! Good thing school is starting so I can get some uninterrupted reading time!

2015 Reading Challenge Goal: 40 books

As You Wish ~ Dark Witch ~ The Amazing Adventures of Alfred Kropp ~ The Cuckoo's Calling ~ Shadow Spell ~ Blood Magick~ Only the Brave ~ Firefly Lane
Glynis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 03:58 PM   #2122
3smithboys
DIS Veteran

Book #33 Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children...

This book was not what I expected it to be.... although I'm not sure exactly what I expected (it did have peculiar in the title after all!!!)...

I liked it, but I can't say that I loved it. It's not the typical genre that I read, but I thought it was enjoyable.
3smithboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:22 PM   #2123
zippitydoo
DIS Veteran

Book 29 of 45

Morning Cup of Murder(Book 1 of Lacy Steele) by Vanessa Gray Bartal

After a disastrous few years trying to make it on her own, Lacy Steele returns to her tiny hometown. Feeling like a failure, she moves in with the one person guaranteed to make her fat, her beloved grandmother--a woman who uses food as love. As if to make her already depressing life more confusing, she reconnects with Jason, the former Adonis of their high school. Now a cop, Jason seemingly doesn't remember the frizzy-haired band geek Lacy was. Instead, he sees her as a potential problem, especially when someone she loves is arrested for murder. Lacy won't stop until the murder is solved, even if it means putting herself in danger. Somehow, Lacy is determined to clear a name, put her life back together, and heal old hurts. But more than anything she's determined not to fall in love with Jason Cantor.

2015 Book Challenge
Completed 7 of 50:
1.Darkness & Shadows, 2.Obsessed, 3.Pines, 4.Wayward, 5.The Last Town, 6.Hold on My Heart, 7.Heart Collector
zippitydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:29 PM   #2124
Swimnoid
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigletsPal2 View Post

I'm happy to see that there's a new Ivy Malone book. I read the first one about two years ago and have been waiting not very patiently for the next one. It seemed so long between books that I was afraid there wasn't going to be a next one!

As you seem to like your sleuths a little more mature, you may want to try Ann Purser's Ivy Beasley series (what is it about the name Ivy for little old British ladies?). There are only four books in this series so far, but Purser has another series "starring" Lois Meade, which is very good also. Lois is younger and has a family; she runs a housecleaning business in small English village. Both series are on my "must-read" list.

Queen Colleen
There are actually 4 total! The next 2 are On the Run and Stranded

I'll definitely be on the look out for the books you mentioned.
Swimnoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:51 PM   #2125
WowLookAtThat
DIS Veteran

Book #62 Mistress of Rome by Kate Quinn

Review: This book was pretty good. Basically Thea is a Hebrew slave dring the Roman times and the last survivor of her town. She is the slave to Lepida who is a spoiled, vain, malicious, rich woman who abuses Thea. When Leipida discovers Arius the Barbarian during a gladiator match she sends her slave to give letters to him. Thea and Arius fall in love and this sets into motion everything. Thea is sold before Arius could buy her and set her free. For five years she doesn't see him but becomes a singer for the royal court and begins to be the abused mistress of Domitian, the Emperor. This sets in motion a master plan....

At first this didn't get me. The characters were kind of one sided and lacked complexity but as I went further in the book, I was hooked! Thea is no damsel in distress like I thought at first but very resourceful and Arius seemed like a regularly angry man (it is understandable why though) but soon his progression shows that he is more. My one complaint is Lepida, she does horrible things just so she could have some power and fame but what I don't get is why she was the way she was. What was her backstory? The author just shows how bad she is but without a motive at the beginning. This book pulled me a quarter of the way and it got really good!

Book #63 Empress of Seven Hills by Kate Quinn

Review: Vix is the son of Arius and Thea while Sabina is the daughter of Lepida. They fall in love and soon part ways. Sabina marries Hadrian who is the Emperor's heir and a real momma's boy but she wants to see the world and she has to marry someone in her own class bracket so why not marry someone who suits her? This isn't a love match and the marriage lacks any passion, love or even respect. Her decision causes Vix to join the Roman military and throughout the book Sabina and Vix interacy and affect each other's future.

This book was ok. It didn't pull me in and honestly I couldn't like the characters. Vix has the mentality of a man who couldn't understand that Sabina was a woman (during the Roman times no less) who had to make a good match even to a man she didn't love. She really had little choice. Her father let her choose a husband among her suitors but she really had no choice if she would marry or not. Vix seems to hate her for that without understanding her position. There was little plotting in the book and even the story's main villain Plotina was pretty dull.

Book #64 Daughters of Rome by Kate Quinn

Review: This is a prequel to the series and involves the Four Cornelias, four cousins who each have been affected by the year of Four Emperors, the year when four men took over Rome. When the girls were children, a fortune-teller sees one girl have blood on her hands but it doesn't get revealed which one until the end. As the women grow up, three of the girls are affected by the Year but one was the puppet master the whole time....

I think it was great! The book gives an equal share of attention to the girls and the stories are pretty good. The characters' progression and the plot is engaging.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:09 PM   #2126
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimnoid View Post
There are actually 4 total! The next 2 are On the Run and Stranded

I'll definitely be on the look out for the books you mentioned.
Thank you for that info! I'll be checking Amazon for those titles,

Queen Colleen
PigletsPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:23 AM   #2127
portia9
DIS Veteran

Goal 100

#84 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
#85 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Really enjoying reading these again.

2013 Reading Challenge. Goal 100. Read 149.
2014 Reading Challenge. Goal 100. Read 115.
2015 Reading Challenge. Goal 75.

2014 Top 3

The Collected Works of A.J.Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin
The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion
Speaking From Among The Bones by Alan Bradley

portia9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:42 PM   #2128
WowLookAtThat
DIS Veteran

Book #65 Stardust by Carla Stewart

Review: I thought it was pretty good. I am not a fan of inspiration novels as the ones I remember as a kid were too preachy but this one wasn't bad. Basically, two months before Georgia Peyton discovers that her husband O'Dell had left her for another woman (left a note in the sugar bowl, what a jerk) so when he shows up dead in the bayou, she doesn't know what to think! She also discovers that she has inherited an old hotel the Stardust. She has to renovate this place while dealing with difficult family members, a new guy and the fear of polio (set in the 1950s)
Old 08-18-2013, 09:22 PM   #2129
nemofans
DIS Veteran

Finished books #53-57: Fablehaven (5 book series)

These are YA books & I really enjoyed them. I love being drawn into a fantasy story. The lead characters are brother & sister who discover a fantasy world right under their noses. My 8 yr old DS will be reading these after he finishes the Percy Jackson series. I think he will enjoy these too.

Kendra and her brother, Seth, have no idea that their grandfather is the current caretaker of Fablehaven. Inside the gated woods, ancient laws keep relative order among the greedy trolls, mischievous satyrs, plotting witches, spiteful imps, and jealous fairies. But when the rules get broken, powerful forces are unleashed, and Kendra and her brother face the greatest challenge of their lives. To save their family, Fablehaven, and maybe even the world, Kendra and Seth must find the courage to do what they fear most...

Next Book: Beautiful Creatures

8/2000 WDW Grosvenor Resort (got engaged!), 11/2005 DL PPH CL, 12/2006 WDW Poly, 02/2008 WDW AKL, 2/2010 WDW CR CL, 2/2011 DCL Magic, 11/2011 DL GCH, 10/2012 WDW AKL CL

2013 Book Challenge: 87 out of 75 GOAL MET!!
2014 Book Challenge: 94 out of 85 GOAL MET!!
2015 Book Challenge: 7 out of 90
nemofans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:30 AM   #2130
donac
BL6 Black Team Captain
The Vanilla Rooibus was heavenly
Heigh ho - Heigh ho - It's off to lose weight I go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeboysmom View Post
No. This one stands alone. It was a great read. It may look long but it is a real page turner.
Dona July 1980 with DH family Nov 1984 Last trip before kids Aug 1988 Poly 10th AnnvAug 1992 Port Orleans Other trips I can't nameAug 2002 POFQ, FW, AS sp with Sean and the girls Aug 2003 FW Our 25th Annv Trip Aug 2005 Camping with the Knotts Aug 2006 Twin Sister Trip Aug 2008 30 Anniv/grad Trip 2009 POFQ just us 2012 Grand Gathering with Sedlaks
donac is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: