Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 10:27 PM   #196
RunningGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by erincon23 View Post
Excellent book! Did you read the prequel/sequel "The Twelve" that just came out? That was a little hard to get into, since I read The Passage two years
Yes; I thought it was a bit of a letdown from the Passage. I'm hoping the third book will be a good one.

I started and finished my 2nd book today - "The Fault In Our Stars". Pretty good, quick read. Not sure what's up next for me.
RunningGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:44 PM   #197
funkychunkymonkey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimnoid View Post
Goal = 75

#3 Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry

The second book of the Giver Trilogy. Young adult dystopian genre

I liked it. I wanted to continue the trilogy to see what happened to the characters in the Giver however this book does not deal with them at all.

This book focuses on a girl who loses her mother and what happens to her in this society and some of the realizations she comes to about her society.

I borrowed it from the NC Digital library.
Are you going to read the 3rd one? I hear its suposted to wrap up the whole series. I know you do find out in it what happens to Johnas and Gabe in book one and kira from book 2 is in it too.
RIP:
guiedo (guiena pig) bluebeard

Last edited by funkychunkymonkey; 01-04-2013 at 10:50 PM.
funkychunkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-04-2013, 10:49 PM   #198
Swimnoid
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychunkymonkey View Post
Are you going to read the 3rd one? I hear its suposted to wrap up the whole series.
Yes! I just put it on hold. I'm 7th in line....grrrr. Also found out there is a 4th book, Son
Swimnoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:05 PM   #199
CourtasanSatine
I'm partial to the 4th seaters
Has a crush on James Marsden
I'm a Trendy in a Preppy family

Goal: 50

Substitution Method (Eureka)
Cris Ramsay

Without spoiling things I can say for those that know the show this is basically an epsiode in book form. For me I was seeing things in my head like the town and Fargo (one of favorite characters) plus it adds things a hour long epsiode can't explain in terms of the details. All in all not bad for fluffly and silly brain candy. It's also a plus if you know the show mostly for those bits of things that had been spoken of in the series but newcomers can get along pretty well too.

4/5

Next up: hopefully a volume of The Walking Dead graphic novels if the hold comes through in the morning.

Come and get me boys: Satine

"For Justice!" "For Kibbles!"

"Or maybe its the plumbing!"

CourtasanSatine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:18 PM   #200
pansmermaidzlagoon
Mickey asks that you not advise screwing things into his head

Quote:
Originally Posted by diznee25 View Post
Oh, I was looking at Gone Girl a few days ago! Did you like it?

diznee25
I did! I liked the character development and the plot. I couldn't put it down. It is dark and I have heard others say they didn't like the ending - but that is part of what I liked about it....
'11 WONDER Alaska Cruise: '13 WILDERNESS LODGE
pansmermaidzlagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:53 AM   #201
WowLookAtThat
DIS Veteran

Book #2 finished!
Book of Summers by Emylia Hall

Review: LOVE IT! I would recommend this book. Books of Summers is about a woman named Beth who discovers that her mother, Marika had died in Hungary but her lover, an artist had sent a scrapbook to her. As Beth is going through the book and bringing out pictures throughout the years, she is reminded of the happy summers she spent in Hungary, the sweetness of a first kiss and the warm memories with her mother and Zoltan (her mother's lover) and of course the reminder of a past wound she could not forgive for years.

I don't want to give the ending away but I didn't see it coming. This book is bittersweet in the end but throughout there is a soft happiness that reminds me of flowers, honey and wild forests. The descriptions in the Book of Summers is vivid and fresh. The plot is engaging and I totally recommend it.
WowLookAtThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:56 AM   #202
Cogswel_Cogs
DIS Veteran

My first one was
11th hour James Paterson.
The only series I really read by Paterson. Like the interaction between the four main women. I might not have read it but there are a couple of us who pass the books around. I give it four stars and did not like it as much as some of te other books in the series. It is by far the most books I have read in a series though.
BTW does this book count was about halfway through when the ball dropped.
Cogswel_Cogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:58 AM   #203
K and K's Mommy
WISH Biggest Loser/Blue Team
DIS Veteran
SpectroMagic and the fireworks after it are pure Disney magic
Try a Chocolate Wave next time you're in The Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimnoid View Post
Yes! I just put it on hold. I'm 7th in line....grrrr. Also found out there is a 4th book, Son
My DD got "Son" for Christmas. She liked it and thought it wrapped up the series. She said number 3 was sad.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:06 AM   #204
K and K's Mommy
WISH Biggest Loser/Blue Team
DIS Veteran
SpectroMagic and the fireworks after it are pure Disney magic
Try a Chocolate Wave next time you're in The Land

I'm in! I'll say 20. Most likely, half of those will be during the summer.

I've finished 1 - The Fault in Our Stars. I really liked it and am thinking I should read more young adult because I can read them quicker. This one is set in Indianapolis which was fun since I knew the places mentioned.

I am now reading "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" which I am sure I got from a thread on the Dis.

My favorite book of 2012 was "Cutting for Stone." I read it last Spring Break, and it is a more involved, takes some time type of book, but I loved it.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:26 AM   #205
Glynis
Taking applications for a WDW tour guide!

My goal = 50 books.

Number 2 finished: "The Appeal" by John Grisham

At the opening of this book, a Mississippi court hands down a verdict to a large chemical company accused of dumping chemicals and causing cancer in a small town. They are hit with a large verdict, and the CEO swears that he will never pay. The rest of the book is filled with twists and turns as we see to what lengths "big business" will go in order to get a verdict overturned at the Supreme Court level.

I will admit that I usually like Grisham's novels, but this one left me feeling very uncomfortable. I'm going to have to think about this book for a while before deciding whether or not I liked it. Perhaps that makes it successful? This one will stay with me.

Next up: "Nineteen Minutes" by Jodi Piccoult.

2014 Reading Challenge Goal: 70 books

The Art of Racing in the Rain ~ The House of Hades ~ How To Be Like Walt ~ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows ~ The Seven Mouths of God ~ Behind the Beautiful Forevers ~ The Mysterious Affair at Styles ~ The Big 5-Oh ~ A Year in the Life of William Shakespeare ~ Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children ~ Wait Till Next Year ~ While We Were Watching Downton Abbey ~ Great Expectations ~ The Maze Runner ~ The Fault In Our Stars ~ The Juliet Club ~ The Girls' Guide to Love and Supper Clubs ~ The Power of One ~ The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat ~ Hollow City ~ The Fountainhead ~ Cat's Cradle ~ Speaking From Among The Bones ~ Death Comes to Pemberley ~ Quilt or Innocence ~ The Chocolate Thief ~ On Strike for Christmas ~ Bikini Season ~ Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker ~ Miss Dreamsville and the Collier County Women's Literary Society ~ Cinnamon Roll Murder ~ Red Velvet Cupcake Murder ~ Blackberry Pie Murder ~ Home To Holly Springs ~ In The Company of Others ~ The Devil in the White City ~ Gathering Blue ~ Messenger ~ The Bell Jar ~ The Boys in the Boat ~ The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches ~ Son ~ Beach Colors ~ Welcome to Last Chance ~ Last Chance Beauty Queen ~ Last Chance Knit and Stitch ~ The World According to Garp ~ The Bean Trees ~ I'll Be Seeing You ~ The Hours ~ Prodigal Summer ~ The Ocean at the End of the Lane
Glynis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:21 PM   #206
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pansmermaidzlagoon View Post
I did! I liked the character development and the plot. I couldn't put it down. It is dark and I have heard others say they didn't like the ending - but that is part of what I liked about it....
Same here! So many people were complaining about the ending, so when I read it myself, I was ready to be disappointed. How wrong I was! Yes, the ending is not a "conventional" ending, but that book was so twisted and oh so wicked, how could you have anything BUT a non-conventional ending? lol

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife, #16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker, #26 Rainshadow Road, #27 The Art of Hearing Heartbeats, #28 Little Bee, #29 The Art Forger, #30 One Plus One, #31 Double Whammy, #32 The Girl You Left Behind, #33 Orphan Train, #34 Big Little Lies, #35 The Good Girl, #36 The Girl with All the Gifts, #37 Outlander, #38 Lucid, #39 You

Currently reading: #40 Dragonfly in Amber

Last edited by threeboysmom; 01-05-2013 at 12:27 PM.
threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:24 PM   #207
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

I am reading my #2 book - Defending Jacob based on a recommendation from a DIS'er on the other book thread.

Oh my gosh, I CANNOT put this book down!! I keep finding myself so immersed into the storyline (being a parent, I don't see how you cannot do that!) and I find myself questionning myself at every turn.... "what would *I* do in that scenario?"

Sometimes the way a book ends can kill a book, so really hoping the author pulls through for me.

I want life to completely stop this weekend so I can finish this book! (stupid housecleaning...)

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife, #16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker, #26 Rainshadow Road, #27 The Art of Hearing Heartbeats, #28 Little Bee, #29 The Art Forger, #30 One Plus One, #31 Double Whammy, #32 The Girl You Left Behind, #33 Orphan Train, #34 Big Little Lies, #35 The Good Girl, #36 The Girl with All the Gifts, #37 Outlander, #38 Lucid, #39 You

Currently reading: #40 Dragonfly in Amber

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:20 PM   #208
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeboysmom View Post
I am reading my #2 book - Defending Jacob based on a recommendation from a DIS'er on the other book thread.

Oh my gosh, I CANNOT put this book down!! I keep finding myself so immersed into the storyline (being a parent, I don't see how you cannot do that!) and I find myself questionning myself at every turn.... "what would *I* do in that scenario?"

Sometimes the way a book ends can kill a book, so really hoping the author pulls through for me.

I want life to completely stop this weekend so I can finish this book! (stupid housecleaning...)
You won't be disappointed in this book. It finishes up pretty clean. It was one of the better books I read last year. I read it after Gone Girl (I was one of *those* people who loved Gone Girl but the ending ruined the book for me). Defending Jacob did not disappoint.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:57 PM   #209
ebtbmom
DIS Veteran

#1 The Killing Kind by John Connelly

I rate it 2.5 and if I hadn't wanted to post a completion here I probably would have given up.

A former cop, now PI gets hired to investigate a questionable suicide. It involves a shady religious cult. The premise was interesting but I don't like authors who elaborate excessively on location. Such as, I drove down Main St and took a left on Walnut, there was construction on Beech so I cut through to Cherry ST. Ok, so you're familiar with the town, who cares?
11/2004 1st trip, ASM,11/2006 2nd trip, POP,6/2008 day trip DLR,11/2008 3rd trip, POP,1/2010 DLR at DLH!,1/2011 1st solo POFQ, 11/2011 POR, 3/2012 B-day trip! 10/2012 POP, 6/2013 day trip DLP 11/2013 POP 2/2014 CSR 2nd solo! 10/2014 CBR
ebtbmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:25 PM   #210
CourtasanSatine
I'm partial to the 4th seaters
Has a crush on James Marsden
I'm a Trendy in a Preppy family

Next up: since TWD volume is good sized I'll be reading that one along with The Hunger Games.

Come and get me boys: Satine

"For Justice!" "For Kibbles!"

"Or maybe its the plumbing!"

CourtasanSatine is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: