Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2013, 03:14 PM   #2071
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemofans View Post
Finished book #52- The Last Original Wife by Dorothea Benton Frank

This was about a woman dealing with the fact that she is taken for granted by her husband & her husband's friends have divorced their wives for younger women. She hates having to spend time with these people & misses her friends (the ex-wives) while her husband doesn't find anything wrong w/what his friends have done. She decides she is tired of being treated like a housekeeper & finally takes charge of her own life. I did like this book & was really routing for her.

Leslie Anne Greene Carter is The Last Original Wife among her husband Wesley's wildly successful Atlanta social set. His cronies have all traded in the mothers of their children they promised to love and cherish-til death did them part-for tanned and toned young Barbie brides.
If losing the social life and close friends she adored wasnt painful enough, a series of setbacks shake Les's world and push her to the edge. Shes had enough of playing the good wife to a husband who thinks he's doing her a favor by keeping her around. She's not going to waste another minute on people she doesn't care to know. Now, she's going to take some time for herself in the familiar comforts and stunning beauty of Charleston, her beloved hometown.

Next book: Fablehaven
Thanks for the review! Looks like something I'd enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier's*Sweeties View Post
I was ahead. Now I'm behind.

I am in a slump AGAIN. I have started like four different books only to stop after like two chapters because I just can't get into them!

This happens every time I start a new one.

I honestly think it's because I have too much to choose from on my Kindle(first world problems I know haha!).
You haven't read Defending Jacob yet....

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippitydoo View Post
Book 28 of 30

Since I am almost at my goal I would like to increase it to 45 books please.
Off to update you now! Nice work!

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 A Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife,#16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 A Daughter's Dream

Currently reading: #25 The Leisure Seeker

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:30 PM   #2072
threeboysmom

#32 out of 50

Five Days in May by Ninie Hammon

LOVED this book!! It gripped me right from the start, and I couldn't turn the pages fast enough to see how it played out.

Four residents all have an appointment with death in one way or another on the same day in May.

Mac - a man struggling with his faith and wanting to "kill" the pastoral role he's in
Jonas - grandfather who can't bear taking care of his beloved Alzheimer's wife any longer and has come to the hard decision of ending her life
Joy - daughter who finds herself pregnant at a young age and plans to have an abortion
Princess - a young woman convicted of brutally killing her 2 yo sister and facing the electric chair

As a massive tornado speeds towards their town (really not sure what the need for the tornado was...), their lives intertwine with dramatic consequences.

Not all four residents experience death by the path they had originally chosen for themselves nor do they leave with the result they expected.

Highly recommend this book!

Next up: The Shack by William Paul Young and also will be reading Surprised by Joy by CS Lewis

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 A Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife,#16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 A Daughter's Dream

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-08-2013, 05:20 PM   #2073
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom View Post
Is Rhys Bowen cozy mystery, or true mystery. I like cozies, and I thought I'd heard of her there. If so, I may add her to my "to read" list.
Not sure I know the difference between cozies and true mysteries! None of them are blood-and-guts stories; they're rich in character development and description. The Molly Murphy series takes place in New York, the Royal Spyness series takes place in England, primarily London, and the Constable Evans series takes place in Wales. I think you'll find Bowen is a great addition to your "to read" list.

Queen Colleen
PigletsPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:09 AM   #2074
Glynis
Taking applications for a WDW tour guide!

Goal - 100 books

Book #48 - Beyonders #3 Chasing the Prophecy by Brandon Mull

From Goodreads:
Jason and Rachel were not born in Lyrian. They did not grow up in Lyrian. But after all of the battles and losses, the triumphs and adventures, and most of all, the friendships forged in this fantastical world, Lyrian has become home to them in a way they never could have imagined.

And so, armed now with the prophecy of a dying oracle, they have gone on their separate quests—each surrounded by brave and powerful allies—knowing that the chance for success is slim. But Jason and Rachel are ready at last to become the heroes Lyrian needs, no matter the cost.

My review: I really liked this entire series! It is fantasy that is written well. It is believable (for fantasy), and I grew to love the characters. I was sad to see this series end. Highly recommend. It's a YA book, but it reads well!

Next up: "A Little Bit Wicked" by Kristen Chenowith

2014 Reading Challenge Goal: 70 books

The Art of Racing in the Rain ~ The House of Hades ~ How To Be Like Walt ~ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows ~ The Seven Mouths of God ~ Behind the Beautiful Forevers ~ The Mysterious Affair at Styles ~ The Big 5-Oh ~ A Year in the Life of William Shakespeare ~ Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children ~ Wait Till Next Year ~ While We Were Watching Downton Abbey ~ Great Expectations ~ The Maze Runner ~ The Fault In Our Stars ~ The Juliet Club ~ The Girls' Guide to Love and Supper Clubs ~ The Power of One ~ The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat ~ Hollow City ~ The Fountainhead ~ Cat's Cradle ~ Speaking From Among The Bones ~ Death Comes to Pemberley ~ Quilt or Innocence ~ The Chocolate Thief ~ On Strike for Christmas ~ Bikini Season ~ Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker ~ Miss Dreamsville and the Collier County Women's Literary Society ~ Cinnamon Roll Murder ~ Red Velvet Cupcake Murder ~ Blackberry Pie Murder ~ Home To Holly Springs ~ In The Company of Others
Glynis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:33 AM   #2075
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it

42/50: UNTEACHABLE by Leah Raeder

I met him at a carnival, of all corny places. The summer I turned eighteen, in that chaos of neon lights and cheap thrills, I met a man so sweet, so beautiful, he seemed to come from another world. We had one night: intense, scary, real. Then I ran, like I always do. Because I didn't want to be abandoned again.

But I couldn't run far enough.

I knew him as Evan that night. When I walked into his classroom, he became Mr. Wilke.

My teacher.

I don't know if what we're doing is wrong. The rules say one thing; my heart says screw the rules. I can't let him lose his job. And I can't lose him.

In the movies, this would have a happy ending. I grow up. I love, I lose, I learn. And I move on. But this is life, and there's no script. You make it up as you go along.

And you don't pray for a happy ending. You pray for it to never end.

If you liked books like Colleen Hoover's HOPELESS, run, don't walk, and get this book. It is so lyrical and intense. Probably my favorite book of the year.
Ginny Favers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:41 AM   #2076
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

I just completed The Yonahlossee Riding Camp for Girls. There was a long wait for this one and it was pretty good. Not the best book I read, but an interesting story/plot.

This is about a 15 year old girl (Depression era) who gets sent away to the camp for something she's done. You don't find out what it is immediately as it's woven in the to the book through her experiences at the camp. She grew up very isololated and wealthy and the story is about her assimilating in with girls her own age and encountering temptations, secrets, and who she is at camp.

I'm not halfway into Someday, Someday, Maybe by Lauren Graham (star of Gilmore Girls and Parenthood). It's okay. A little to immature for me.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95

Last edited by Christine; 08-10-2013 at 05:52 AM.
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:42 PM   #2077
RunningGirl
DIS Veteran

#37 - The Long Walk by Stephen King (written as Richard Bachman)
#38 - Breathless by Dean Koontz
#39 - Wild by Cheryl Strayed - this is the only book of the three that I would recommend. I could not put it down.

In between, I'm working on Undaunted Courage by Stephen Ambrose, which is about Lewis and Clark.

Unless tragedy strikes, it looks like my goal of 40 was a bit understated. I think I'll move it up to 60!
RunningGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:03 AM   #2078
DisneyWalle
DIS Veteran

#29 - The Last Boleyn by Karen Harper
This was an excellent book. I loved it!

She Survived Her Own Innocence, and the Treachery of Europes Royal Courts
Greed, lust for power, sex, lies, secret marriages, religious posturing, adultery, beheadings, international intrigue, jealousy, treachery, love, loyalty, and betrayal. The Last Boleyn tells the story of the rise and fall of the Boleyns, one of Englands most powerful families, through the eyes of the eldest daughter, Mary.
Although her sister, Anne, the queen; her brother, George, executed alongside Anne; and her father, Thomas, are most remembered by history, Mary was the Boleyn who set into motion the chain of events that brought about the familys meteoric rise to power, as well as the one who managed to escape their equally remarkable fall. Sent away to France at an extraordinarily young age, Mary is quickly plunged into the dangerous world of court politics, where everything is beautiful but deceptive, and everyone she meets is watching and quietly manipulating the events and people around them. As she grows into a woman, Mary must navigate both the dangerous waters ruled by two kings and the powerful will of her own family in order to find a place for herself and the love she so deeply desires.
2014 Disboard Book Challenge: 37 of 40 completed
DisneyWalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:25 AM   #2079
willowsnn3
Tagless not by choice but by circumstance

Goal 72

#54 The Sacrifice by Robert Whitlow

Christian based legal thriller. First novel by this author who has written plenty of best sellers since. This one was good & I will try some of his other works.

Book Challenge Goal 54/72

willowsnn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 01:22 PM   #2080
Glynis
Taking applications for a WDW tour guide!

Goal - 100 books

Book #49 "A Little Bit Wicked" by Kristen Chenowith

I loved this book! Her wit and humor come shining through, and it was a joy! It was also nice to read about someone who is completely open about her faith.

Next up: "STORI Telling" by Tori Spelling

2014 Reading Challenge Goal: 70 books

The Art of Racing in the Rain ~ The House of Hades ~ How To Be Like Walt ~ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows ~ The Seven Mouths of God ~ Behind the Beautiful Forevers ~ The Mysterious Affair at Styles ~ The Big 5-Oh ~ A Year in the Life of William Shakespeare ~ Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children ~ Wait Till Next Year ~ While We Were Watching Downton Abbey ~ Great Expectations ~ The Maze Runner ~ The Fault In Our Stars ~ The Juliet Club ~ The Girls' Guide to Love and Supper Clubs ~ The Power of One ~ The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat ~ Hollow City ~ The Fountainhead ~ Cat's Cradle ~ Speaking From Among The Bones ~ Death Comes to Pemberley ~ Quilt or Innocence ~ The Chocolate Thief ~ On Strike for Christmas ~ Bikini Season ~ Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker ~ Miss Dreamsville and the Collier County Women's Literary Society ~ Cinnamon Roll Murder ~ Red Velvet Cupcake Murder ~ Blackberry Pie Murder ~ Home To Holly Springs ~ In The Company of Others
Glynis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:22 PM   #2081
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun

42/50 - The Bet by David Brown

I liked this up until the end, then it felt really rushed. Even though the entire plot was unbelievable, the end got really, really unbelievable.

2/5 stars

43/50 - Escape by Carolyn Jessop and Laura Palmer

This was just okay for me. The author contradicted herself many times, and I started wondering what was fact and what wasn't.

3/5 stars

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
BearcatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:58 AM   #2082
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

Books 66, 67 & 68 (Goal 116)

All by Cathy Glass - Another Forgotten Child, I Miss Mummy and Damaged

I have read another three of the books by Cathy Glass, a foster carer from England. Each one is an individual child's story, told from Cathy's perspective, including the details of the case, the problems faced along the way and (at times) the traumatic and terrible things that have happened to the child, which has resulted in them being put 'in care'.

While these books are incredibly harrowing and tear-inducing (I Miss Mummy is the only one that hasn't seen me bawling towards the end), they are very well written and I am (although it might sound a bit strange) enjoying them.

Having had some involvement in the UK social services system when my girls were smaller (after their Dad died), it is an eye-opener to read about some of the downfalls and problems with the social services department and makes me realise why they sometimes (a lot of the time) get it wrong.

Last edited by wilma-bride; 08-12-2013 at 07:06 AM.
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:19 AM   #2083
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

Book #69 - Waiting to be Heard: A Memoir by Amanda Knox

From Amazon:

In November 2007, Amanda Knox was twenty years old and had been studying abroad in Perugia, Italy, for only a few weeks when her friend and roommate, a young English student named Meredith Kercher, was brutally murdered. The investigation made headlines around the world, and Amanda's arrest placed her at the center of a media firestorm. Young, naïve, grieving at the horrifying death of her friend, and with little more than basic knowledge of the Italian language, she was subjected to harsh interrogations during which she struggled to understand the police and to make her own words understood. The subsequent trial exposed Amanda to international scrutiny and speculation, and she became a tabloid staple. In 2009, after an extremely controversial trial, she was wrongly convicted of murder. But in October 2011, after Amanda had spent four years in an Italian prison, and following a lengthy appeals process, the conviction was overturned. Amanda immediately flew home to the United States.

Now, in Waiting to Be Heard, Amanda Knox shares for the very first time the truth about her terrifying ordeal. Drawing from journals she kept and letters she wrote during her incarceration, Amanda gives an unflinching and deeply personal account of her harrowing experience, from the devastation of her friend's murder to the series of mistakes and misunderstandings that led to her arrest. She speaks intimately about what it was like, at the age of twenty, to find herself imprisoned in a foreign country for a crime she did not commit and demonized by the international media, and about the impact on her family and loved ones as they traveled back and forth to be at her side so that she would not be alone. She describes the relationships that bloomed with those who believed in her innocence and how the strength of her family helped her survive the most challenging time of her young life. With grace and gratitude, Amanda describes the aftermath of the trial and her return home to the States, where she is able once again to look forward to the future.

A young woman's soul-baring account of a nightmare turned real, of unimaginable horror and the miscarriage of justice that ensued, and, ultimately, of fortitude in the face of overwhelming adversity, Waiting to Be Heard is a memoir unlike any you have ever read.

I was intrigued by this book, mainly because although this was covered on the news a lot at the time (with Meredith Kercher being British), this book was not published in the UK, nor is it available to download on Kindle from Amazon UK. Of course, this made me want to read it even more so, when a friend of mine offered to send me an electronic (mobi version) of the book, I jumped at the chance.

Two things surprised me about this book - firstly, the fact that I finished it not quite believing that Amanda Knox was innocent. That, in itself was surprising since I'd expected a book 'written by her' to be able to convince me of her innocence. Secondly, I actually took a real dislike to her just from the way she wrote/portrayed herself. Again, most people (I would have thought) would try to write and portray themselves in a positive light. I knew very little about the case so I had no preconceptions. Maybe she was just being very honest in her writing or maybe I just really didn't like her writing style but, wither way, I finished the book believing that there was something she just wasn't telling and thinking that she had spent the whole time trying to justify her (incredibly weird at times) behaviour; before, during and after the murder. All in all, though, I enjoyed the book and I understand there is a book written by Amanda's then boyfriend, Rafaelle, which I am intrigued to read, just to see his version of events.

Overall, I would give this book a 4/5 for readability but I would be surprised if most people didn't finish the book either feeling sorry for her or having taken an immense dislike to her.
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:33 AM   #2084
threeboysmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningGirl View Post

Unless tragedy strikes, it looks like my goal of 40 was a bit understated. I think I'll move it up to 60!
Off to update you now! Nice work!

Old 08-12-2013, 09:40 AM   #2085
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

Goal: 75 books this year.

#68 down and done.

The Alpine Xanadu by Mary Daheim is the 24th in the series featuring Emma Lord, owner and publisher of the Alpine Advocate, a weekly newspaper published in seemingly-idyllic Alpine, Washington. In this story, Emma and her staff are on deadline with a feature about the opening of RestHaven, a new rehab and mental health facility. The town is buzzing with gossip about Emma's recent engagement to Sheriff Milo Dodge, and now that fool Wayne Eriks has climbed an electric pole in the middle of a storm and got himself electrocuted. Sheriff Dodge doesn't buy the idea that Wayne's death was an accident, and his investigation uncovers many things that Alpine residents would prefer to keep hidden.

Daheim's Alpine books go through the alphabet, and I'm a little worried that this is "X." Will she continue with the Emma Lord series? I hope so; I've read all of them and feel like the residents of Alpine are my friends (in spite of the fact that they keep killing each other!)

BTW, it isn't necessary to read these books in alphabetical order, but doing so makes the later books a little easier to understand if you have the back stories.

Queen Colleen
PigletsPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: