Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2013, 12:20 PM   #2056
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny105 View Post
Nice! I have so many things on hold at the library. They ended up calling me 3 times last week for 3 different books!
I hate when they all come in at once like that! Although it does make me read faster!

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 A Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife,#16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken

Currently reading: #23 You Don't Want to Know

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:20 PM   #2057
nemofans
DIS Veteran

Finished book #52- The Last Original Wife by Dorothea Benton Frank

This was about a woman dealing with the fact that she is taken for granted by her husband & her husband's friends have divorced their wives for younger women. She hates having to spend time with these people & misses her friends (the ex-wives) while her husband doesn't find anything wrong w/what his friends have done. She decides she is tired of being treated like a housekeeper & finally takes charge of her own life. I did like this book & was really routing for her.

Leslie Anne Greene Carter is The Last Original Wife among her husband Wesley's wildly successful Atlanta social set. His cronies have all traded in the mothers of their children they promised to love and cherish-til death did them part-for tanned and toned young Barbie brides.
If losing the social life and close friends she adored wasnt painful enough, a series of setbacks shake Les's world and push her to the edge. Shes had enough of playing the good wife to a husband who thinks he's doing her a favor by keeping her around. She's not going to waste another minute on people she doesn't care to know. Now, she's going to take some time for herself in the familiar comforts and stunning beauty of Charleston, her beloved hometown.

Next book: Fablehaven

I've been BOO'd!!

8/2000 Grosvenor Resort (got engaged!), 11/2005 DL PPH CL, 12/2006 Poly, 02/2008 AKL, 2/2010 CR CL, 2/2011 DCL Magic, 11/2011 DL GCH, 10/2012 AKL CL

2013 Book Challenge: 87 out of 75 GOAL MET!!
2014 Book Challenge: 45 out of 85
nemofans is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-06-2013, 08:04 PM   #2058
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun

41/50 - Sister by Rosamund Lipton

This was just okay for me. I really got into it at first, but grew to hate the narrative. It was written as a letter from one sister to another. There was a plot twist at the end also that I didn't care for.

3/5 stars

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
BearcatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:17 PM   #2059
Cantw8
This is blasphemy. You all need to zip it now
..I'm scared..hold me...
You can run..
I think her signiture makes her butt look big
I do have a life ya know

I'm currently reading Still Missing by Chevy Stevens. This book was recommended by Low-Key and I just love it!!! One of the best books I have read in awhile. Listen to him when he makes a recommendation because he knows what he's talking about
Old 08-07-2013, 03:28 PM   #2060
zippitydoo
DIS Veteran

Book 28 of 30

The Cuckoo’s Calling by Robert Galbraith aka J.K. Rowling

Detective Cormoran Strike investigates a supermodel's suicide.
After losing his leg to a land mine in Afghanistan, Cormoran Strike is barely scraping by as a private investigator. Strike is down to one client, and creditors are calling. He has also just broken up with his longtime girlfriend and is living in his office.

Then John Bristow walks through his door with an amazing story: His sister, thelegendary supermodel Lula Landry, known to her friends as the Cuckoo, famously fell to her death a few months earlier. The police ruled it a suicide, but John refuses to believe that. The case plunges Strike into the world of multimillionaire beauties, rock-star boyfriends, and desperate designers, and it introduces him to every variety of pleasure, enticement, seduction, and delusion known to man.

Since I am almost at my goal I would like to increase it to 45 books please.

2014 Book Challenge
Completed 37 of 50:
A Shade of Blood, A Castle of Sand, Takedown Twenty, Louisiana Longshot, Dirty Little Secrets, The One You Love, The One You Fear, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, A Shadow of Light, Hollow City, Room, The Barkeep, A Blaze of Sun, I Think I Love You, Broken, Body Movers, A Gate of Night, Trudge, Soldier On, In Harm’s Way, A Pound of Flesh, Taboo, Hide and Seek, Daddy’s Home, Weddings Can Be Murder, The Undead Heart, Moving Day, Monument 14, Sky on Fire, Savage Drift, NOS4A2
zippitydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:26 PM   #2061
WowLookAtThat
DIS Veteran

Book #61 The Family by Mario Puzo
Old 08-07-2013, 06:08 PM   #2062
Glynis
Taking applications for a WDW tour guide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippitydoo View Post
Book 28 of 30

The Cuckoo’s Calling by Robert Galbraith aka J.K. Rowling

Detective Cormoran Strike investigates a supermodel's suicide.
After losing his leg to a land mine in Afghanistan, Cormoran Strike is barely scraping by as a private investigator. Strike is down to one client, and creditors are calling. He has also just broken up with his longtime girlfriend and is living in his office.

Then John Bristow walks through his door with an amazing story: His sister, thelegendary supermodel Lula Landry, known to her friends as the Cuckoo, famously fell to her death a few months earlier. The police ruled it a suicide, but John refuses to believe that. The case plunges Strike into the world of multimillionaire beauties, rock-star boyfriends, and desperate designers, and it introduces him to every variety of pleasure, enticement, seduction, and delusion known to man.

Since I am almost at my goal I would like to increase it to 45 books please.
So what did you think of the book? I really didn't like "Casual Vacancy", so I'm wondering about this one.

2014 Reading Challenge Goal: 70 books

The Art of Racing in the Rain ~ The House of Hades ~ How To Be Like Walt ~ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows ~ The Seven Mouths of God ~ Behind the Beautiful Forevers ~ The Mysterious Affair at Styles ~ The Big 5-Oh ~ A Year in the Life of William Shakespeare ~ Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children ~ Wait Till Next Year ~ While We Were Watching Downton Abbey ~ Great Expectations ~ The Maze Runner ~ The Fault In Our Stars ~ The Juliet Club ~ The Girls' Guide to Love and Supper Clubs ~ The Power of One ~ The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat ~ Hollow City ~ The Fountainhead ~ Cat's Cradle ~ Speaking From Among The Bones ~ Death Comes to Pemberley ~ Quilt or Innocence ~ The Chocolate Thief ~ On Strike for Christmas ~ Bikini Season ~ Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker ~ Miss Dreamsville and the Collier County Women's Literary Society ~ Cinnamon Roll Murder ~ Red Velvet Cupcake Murder
Glynis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:22 PM   #2063
zippitydoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glynis View Post
So what did you think of the book? I really didn't like "Casual Vacancy", so I'm wondering about this one.
Honestly I didn’t care that much for Casual Vacancy also, I enjoyed this book it was a fun read.

2014 Book Challenge
Completed 37 of 50:
A Shade of Blood, A Castle of Sand, Takedown Twenty, Louisiana Longshot, Dirty Little Secrets, The One You Love, The One You Fear, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, A Shadow of Light, Hollow City, Room, The Barkeep, A Blaze of Sun, I Think I Love You, Broken, Body Movers, A Gate of Night, Trudge, Soldier On, In Harm’s Way, A Pound of Flesh, Taboo, Hide and Seek, Daddy’s Home, Weddings Can Be Murder, The Undead Heart, Moving Day, Monument 14, Sky on Fire, Savage Drift, NOS4A2
zippitydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:42 PM   #2064
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

I was ahead. Now I'm behind.

I am in a slump AGAIN. I have started like four different books only to stop after like two chapters because I just can't get into them!

This happens every time I start a new one.

I honestly think it's because I have too much to choose from on my Kindle(first world problems I know haha!).
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne, #15- Monument 14: Sky on Fire Emmy Laybourne
Soldier's*Sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:35 AM   #2065
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier's*Sweeties View Post
I was ahead. Now I'm behind.

I am in a slump AGAIN. I have started like four different books only to stop after like two chapters because I just can't get into them!

This happens every time I start a new one.

I honestly think it's because I have too much to choose from on my Kindle(first world problems I know haha!).
I have that exact same problem. Four times I've started 'Gone Girl' and had to stop because I can't get into it.

I am currently reading books by Cathy Glass, about children who she has fostered over the years. Each book is a different child's story, told from Cathy's perspective. They are harrowing but easy reading at the same time, if that makes sense.

I figure I'll try again with gone Girl when I'm on vacation and have more time just to sit and read.
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:48 AM   #2066
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

Goal: 75 books this year.

#67 down and done.

The Family Way by Rhys Bowen. Molly Murphy, now Molly Sullivan, has "retired" from her job as a private investigator, due to her marriage to police Capt. Daniel Sullivan and the impending birth of their first child.

But a trip to the Post Office brings a letter from Ireland addressed to her old detective agency asking for help in locating a missing Irish serving maid. Despite her promise to Daniel, Molly does a little investigating. She doesn't find out anything about the missing maid (although she will later learn the girl's fate), but she does learn that five babies have been kidnapped in the past month! Her impending motherhood makes it impossible for Molly to ignore these missing children, but what she uncovers will lead her on a terrifying journey through all levels of 1905 New York society, putting her life and that of her baby in danger.

I love Rhys Bowen! She also writes the Royal Spyness mysteries and the Constable Evans mysteries. If you're looking for a new mystery author, I highly recommend Rhys Bowen.

Queen Colleen
PigletsPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:19 AM   #2067
KimR
DIS Veteran
Needs to lay off the Murder Mysteries before Dental Appointments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glynis View Post
I recently finished 'Cuckoo's Calling' (didn't read Casual Vacancy) and I liked it although I think the ending stretched the boundaries of believability a bit. I'm very analytical, though, so take that for what it is worth. Also, I guessed who did it early on and that spoiled it a bit for me. All in all an enjoyable read, though.

I've just started 'Believing The Lie' by Elizabeth George. The reviews were not that great, but we'll see.

2000 - GF; 2000 - BC; 03 - GF; 04 - YC; 05 - GF; 06, 07 - YC; 08 - GF; 09, 10 - YC; 12 - YC

Just the basics:
Are two-year-olds too young to go to Disney? It depends upon their temperament. One way to find out: take them there. After all, they're only young for a short time. You're sure to enjoy your trip if you plan ahead! AND - don't forget those all-important dining reservations; they fill up so fast it's ridiculous. Have I forgotten anything? Oh yes - I'd advise you to carry a small purse or bag for loose items so you don't lose them on rides. You'll have a great vacation if you follow my advice!
KimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:53 AM   #2068
K and K's Mommy
WISH Biggest Loser/Blue Team
DIS Veteran
SpectroMagic and the fireworks after it are pure Disney magic
Try a Chocolate Wave next time you're in The Land

19, 20, and 21

19 - And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini - His first two books are two of my favorites! This one did not pack the emotional punch for me, but I still liked it a lot. I think it has about 7 stories, numerous characters, and different time periods throughout. This is not a quick easy read. I think it is very well written although a couple of the stories are left hanging. Like his other books, it makes me want to help Afghanistan. The first story (and the one he ends on) was my favorite. In a way, all the stories intersect, but I would probably need to reread it and plot it on paper to figure out all the intersections. That sounds too much like high school!

20 - Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller - This was for a Christian book club I do every summer. It was pretty good - more like a memoir.

21 - The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty - This was reviewed in People magazine so I got it for my road trip to Chicago. I would give it 4/5 because I didn't love the ending. This book could be described as an easy beach read but it has some interesting questions to think about. It begins with a wife finding a letter from her husband to be opened when he dies. Should she open it when he is still very much alive? It has three stories going on and how they all intersect. The second story is about a wife finding out her husband and cousin are in love, and the third story is a woman dealing with her daughter's death.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:21 AM   #2069
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigletsPal2 View Post
Goal: 75 books this year.

#67 down and done.

The Family Way by Rhys Bowen. Molly Murphy, now Molly Sullivan, has "retired" from her job as a private investigator, due to her marriage to police Capt. Daniel Sullivan and the impending birth of their first child.

But a trip to the Post Office brings a letter from Ireland addressed to her old detective agency asking for help in locating a missing Irish serving maid. Despite her promise to Daniel, Molly does a little investigating. She doesn't find out anything about the missing maid (although she will later learn the girl's fate), but she does learn that five babies have been kidnapped in the past month! Her impending motherhood makes it impossible for Molly to ignore these missing children, but what she uncovers will lead her on a terrifying journey through all levels of 1905 New York society, putting her life and that of her baby in danger.

I love Rhys Bowen! She also writes the Royal Spyness mysteries and the Constable Evans mysteries. If you're looking for a new mystery author, I highly recommend Rhys Bowen.

Queen Colleen
Is Rhys Bowen cozy mystery, or true mystery. I like cozies, and I thought I'd heard of her there. If so, I may add her to my "to read" list.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:33 AM   #2070
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

I just started Kingdom Keepers.

I'm actually kind of into it!
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne, #15- Monument 14: Sky on Fire Emmy Laybourne
Soldier's*Sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: